Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sealady111
Msg: 1
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful? Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYV4fUw5YMY

^^^ One of my favourite songs by Pat Drummond. Always makes me smile and makes me feel good.
Listen to the lyrics.

Here they are typed out

Marilyn Monroe Was a Size 14
The prettiest girl that the world had seen
Didn't look a lot like those supermodel women
that look the survivors of a Singapore Prison
Her bottom was round and her breasts were full
but when her skirt flew up she was beautiful!!
And that full figure figured in a lot of men's dreams

The Women's Weekly and No Idea
They make a lot of cash from the constant fear
that if you aren't skinny then you're bound to fail
What they will never tell you is that the average male
still prefers a woman with a few nice curves
It's time to give the Adboys one big serve
Scream right back at your TV Screen
You tell 'em Marilyn Monroe Was a Size 14

I'd like to take the whole damn cast of 'Friends'
I'd take them up to 'Lenny's" for the long weekend
I'd give those women what they really need
a new perspective and a damned good feed
Little boys bottoms have a place in the world
But it isn't on the body of a grown up girl
They look pathetic on a Supermodel
flogging cheap cosmetics in a plastic bottle

There's still a few men in the world like me
who remember what a woman's body used to be
A voluptuous figure in tight blue jeans
Remember Marilyn Monroe Was a Size 14
If I could date the ladies on the T.V. Soaps
I'd take 'em for a burger and I'd tell them that I hope they
stop starvin' themselves and killin' our kids
try'na make 'em into shapes God never did

You see, the Adman's dollar and corporate greed
will never tell a woman what a real man needs
You won't win him working out in a gym
When what he really wants is you working out with him
You say you're body's too big and your shape is strange
It's your mind not your body that you need to change
Paint these words on your TV screen

Don't let their scales outweigh your dreams
You tell 'em Marilyn Monroe Was a Size 14
Don't buy their stupid magazines
until they use a few models who are size 14
 BBEisBack
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?
Posted: 10/14/2015 5:04:34 PM
I like Curves & love the way a Woman with a Hour Glass Figure looks.....
Marilyn Monroe may have been a Size 14, but.....
She couldn't walk into a Store & pick a Size 14 Dress off the Rack, & have it look the way her Dresses looked....

No more than, Arnold Schwarzenegger in His Prime, Could walk in & pick a Suit off the Rack.......
 sealady111
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/14/2015 5:18:43 PM
^^ Agreed.
Not many people can.

I guarrantee that these women cannot wear anything off the rack:

Kim Khardasian
Katy Perry
Christina Hendricks
Jessica Simpson
Anette Funicello
Jane Russell
Jane Mansfield
Dolly Parton
Oprah Winfrey
Sophia Loren
Racquel Welch

to name a few.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/14/2015 5:37:29 PM
Size 14 - nice myth.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.asp

Contrary to received wisdom, she was not a voluptuous size 16 — quite the opposite. While she was undeniably voluptuous — in possession of an ample bosom and a bottom that would look at home gyrating in a J-Lo video — for most of the early part of her career, she was a size 8 and even in her plumper stages, was no more than a 10. I can tell you this from experience because a few weeks ago, I tried to try on her clothes.
 kj521
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/14/2015 5:38:55 PM
Ms. Sealady.....I can guarantee. ....a size 14 back then is nothing like a size 14 today. :)
 JoeBnD
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/14/2015 5:47:05 PM

Ms. Sealady.....I can guarantee. ....a size 14 back then is nothing like a size 14 today. :)

Yep

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/11/the-absurdity-of-womens-clothing-sizes-in-one-chart/
 marysunshine02
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:00:14 PM
Does it matter? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beer holder). And sizes?? At Lulu a Lemon I get size 6 leggings and my jackets are a size 12 and size 12 jackets are the largest size they carry. Lulu Lemon don't want chubby chicks in thei clothes. In jeans I am usually an 8 or waist size 29. Depending on the clothing store I can be anywhere from a Small to X Large. The dress I'm wearing to a conference this weekend is a 12 and all my sundresses are a Small or a 6 or 8. It makes no sense. That's why women like shoes....a 7 is a 7 damn near everywhere or a EU 37. Shoes and handbags fit anytime and anywhere and you can always zip them or button them up.

I would think Marilyn would be an 8 or 10 now but in an exclusive froo froo shop she'd be a 2. She was beautiful and does it matter what size she was?
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:45:25 PM
She was not.

She was a size 10, which translates to about a size 6 as we have it now - if that.

Sizes have been ridiculously adjusted to pander to people's delusional views of themselves.

I am 25 pounds heavier now than I was 20 years ago, and I still wear a size 6. That's NOT because I carry it differently. It's because a size 6 is ridiculously bigger than it was even 20 years ago.

Go to a vintage store and look at a size 10 from the 50s. It's tiny. Those curvy filmstars in the 50s were curvy, not fat. Their hips and breasts looked big because they were padded and because they had 25 inch waists.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:48:58 PM
sealady111- It's telling the things I hear men say IRL verses what I see some say online.
This subject has come up when I'm out at friends, party's, sometimes out just talking to people.
It's about 50/50 IRL, men that like thin/athletic women and men who like women with curves.
Online, there are a disproportionate amount of men that seem to prefer the thin/athletic build.
To each their own.
I have curves, even when I was MUCH thinner, I had curves.
So, IRL works better for me.
I'm losing weight for my health, for myself, but no matter what the scale says, I'm the same person heavier as I was thinner.
No one knows how old they are going to get, but if we live to be old, we are ALL going to lose our looks, so I have to wonder what happens to the relationships of people that come together JUST based on looks/weight.
I don't know, I am what I am and that's all that I am.
So take me as I am, or look elsewhere.
When you get right down to it, that's the case for EVERYONE. :)
 purplerider1200
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:28:10 PM
Back when I was married, I'd buy my wife clothing as gifts and such. A few trips with her shopping and listening to her gripe about the difference in sizing got old with me. One day, at a yard sale I just happen to have a small tape measure on me. Measuring two marked sizes the same, told all. Two inches difference, yet both were size 14. AHA! Knowing this, I measured clothing that she liked, that fit, and PRESTO! I was buying gifts that fit well, and I had a happy camper on my hands. (For a short while, anyway)

Arm yourself with a cloth tape and take the guesswork out of what might fit.
 sealady111
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:49:27 PM
Good idea Purple.
Sounds like you were a good husband.

And you are right.
Even clothing marked the same size, made in the same factory in the same cut can be different.
Some cutters use a long blade similar to a butcher or band saw that can bow in the middle of the pile of fabric to be cut.

So you can easily have 1/2 an inch difference on each side of a seam.
Making 2 inches over an entire garment certainly possible.

When you are my shape, very little fits.
Gets worse if I loose weight, because the best remains the same.
Top half of torso much bigger than the bottom.

Still love the song.
Great for dancing around.

I once walked into a bottle shop (liquor store) where the male staff and customers were watching a fashion catwalk show and complaining about the bones on the women. Some quite risque comments were made about the benefit of a woman with padding before they realised I was there.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:53:44 PM
purplerider1200- People of all sizes run into what you describe with your wife.
Sometimes, a size 12 fits just fine, others, not so much.
My friends who are smaller sizes complain about this too, size difference in clothing.
You are a SMART man.
The idea of a man, happy shopping for his wife................
I REALLY like it when you reveal this side of yourself. :)
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/14/2015 9:40:41 PM
I also have a hard time finding stuff that fits right, especially tops and dresses. I wear a size 4 (four) in pants and skirts, sometimes a 6 (six) depending on the cut because I have a butt. The top part is weird, because I'm a bit top heavy and I have to size-up to accommodate the girls. So then I look like I'm wearing a tent. I just took several tops to an alterations place to have them taken in in the mid section or made larger on top. I have to wear mostly body fitting tops or I'll look matronly/pregnant because the chest makes the fabric drape out too far away from my stomach.

And yes, Marilyn Monroe was NOT like a size 14 is today. She had a skinny waist.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2015 1:00:32 AM
Once again Marilyn Monroe was not a size 14. That is a myth. She was around 10-12 at most Australian sizing. Those that have seen her costumes will tell you she was quite tiny. She was only 118lbs when she passed at 5'6" I saw her autopsy report.
 kj521
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/15/2015 3:48:35 AM
Through much of Marilyn's career......her waist was tiny.....size 22-24. Her measurements were recorded as...35 in bust, 22 in waist and 35 in hips. Which gave her that distinctive hourglass shape.

Although, throughout her life.....like most of us....her weight and measurements fluctuated. Her weight fluctuations were most pronounced during her bouts of depression.
 sealady111
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:16:29 AM
Why would the CIA murder Marilyn?
Her affair with JFK?

A high price to pay for singing Happy Birthday.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/15/2015 7:14:31 AM
Poor Marilyn~

Will she never get to RIP?
 rennips1949
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/15/2015 10:13:40 AM

Poor Marilyn~

Will she never get to RIP?

Yeah. No kidding.

From all I've heard and seen from women, there is a variance in clothing sizes from brand to brand.
I know from an acquaintance, who at one time was in the vintage clothing biz, that modern sizes are larger than vintage ones. A modern size 14 lady would need the aid of butter and a shoehorn to get into a vintage size 14.

As nutrition improved, as medical care improved, and as so many tasks became less physically demanding, we folk in modern Western countries just plain started getting generally bigger in size.

I know what I look for is a woman who is proportionate and carries herself well and proudly.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/15/2015 11:22:36 AM
They stopped having larger sizes ( 22) and started a new number system. Agreed poor woman deserves to be left on peace. Her and I share a common thing - and no not that tiny waist.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/15/2015 1:28:43 PM
Right. The FBI is “investigating” the CIA. What are they supposedly investigating that hasn’t been investigated before? That’s about as true as her dress size/ measurements.

I saw a dressmaker’s dummy supposedly wearing the dress Elizabeth Montgomery wore when she played Lizzie Borden. A Barbie doll couldn’t have fit into that dress.

Anyhoo. this is what bothers me about those song lyrics:

And that full figure figured in a lot of men's dreams

What they will never tell you is that the average male
still prefers a woman with a few nice curves

There's still a few men in the world like me
who remember what a woman's body used to be

You see, the Adman's dollar and corporate greed
will never tell a woman what a real man needs
You won't win him working out in a gym

Of course this is written by a man, deriding the nasty “corporate greed” of advertising while concurrently asserting that women exist solely to be judged by men, need to be validated by men, and pander to arbitrary male preferences.

I don’t care what size Marilyn was or if she was accepted by the good ol boys. There was much more to that woman (and all women) other than what size clothes she wore! (or who the tabloids claim she slept with!)

agree...let her RIP.
 Meagan06825
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/15/2015 2:30:31 PM
Marilyn seemed to be different sizes at different stages in her career but always had nice proportions. She was pregnant and heavier when filming Some Like It Hot. I did read somewhere that in her day the studios had doctors on the payroll to prescribe pills for the stars when they appeared too bloated or puffy.

Marilyn is iconic. Who cares what number was attached to her garments.
 sealady111
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/15/2015 3:08:28 PM
Pregnant?
Have not heard that one.

She is iconic.
And her definition of beauty has stood the test of time and will for a very long time to come.

It is sad however that the world's most beautiful woman could not find true love.
And the best she could do was to be a secret mistress of a married man.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:13:16 PM
I find it a bit Ironic, when someone comments on someone's appearance & they don't grace us with a pic of themselves..
 Meagan06825
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:21:34 PM
Marilyn was much more than a pretty face/curves. Her IQ was rumored to be 168, she was a proponent of civil rights.
According to Ella Fitzgerald:

“I owe Marilyn Monroe a real debt…it was because of her that I played the Mocambo, a very popular nightclub in the ’50s. She personally called the owner of the Mocambo, and told him she wanted me booked immediately, and if he would do it, she would take a front table every night. She told him — and it was true, due to Marilyn’s superstar status — that the press would go wild. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. The press went overboard. After that, I never had to play a small jazz club again. She was an unusual woman — a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it.”

She was one of the first women to own her own production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions. The company released only one movie though, The Prince and the Showgirl (1957).

She had an ectopic pregnancy and a miscarriage, one was while filming Some Like It Hot.

Also it was rumored she was an excellent cook who owned nothing but costume jewelry (except for 2 pieces given to her by an ex husband).

I think Miss Sea Lady 111 made a great choice in initiating dialogue about Miss Monroe.
 sealady111
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:51:59 PM
Thank you Meagan06825

I am not surprised that she had a very high IQ.
It takes brains to pretend to be dumb.
Other actresses come to mind.. Lucille Ball, Doris Day and Goldie Hawn.
All absolutely brilliant, intelligent and obviously capable and talented women who made their living pretending to be dumb.

Marilyn, like Doris Day had mulitple men in their lives.
None of them good to her in the long term.
I am not sure about Lucille Ball but I think Goldie Hawn had a very long term, loving loving together relationship.

Some are very sad lives of women who made others so happy.
Makes me think of Robin Williams as well. A man who brought such joy to others and never experienced it himself.

So sad.

For the record I think Robin Williams was gorgeous from his Mork and Mindy start all the way through his career.
He could put his boots under my bed any day.

Mindy however was a stick.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?