Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > So You Took An Ancestry DNA Test, Now What?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 1
So You Took An Ancestry DNA Test, Now What?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

So You Took An Ancestry DNA Test, Now What?
With the evolution of technology, (Family Tree DNA, 23andMe, and Ancestry DNA) genetic genealogy and DNA tests are becoming mainstream. Indeed, we probably all have that coworker who recently came into the office boasting of the Eskimo ancestry that he discovered from the DNA test he just took......

http://radicitravel.com/2015/07/21/so-you-took-an-ancestry-dna-test-now-what/

While reading about the Holocaust, I read somewhere that in his book Mein Kampf, Hitler discusses the notion that people who were racially inferior had no right to live.

http://www.ushmm.org/outreach/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007679

"Hitler spread his beliefs in racial "purity" and in the superiority of the "Germanic race"—what he called an Aryan "master race." He pronounced that his race must remain pure in order to one day take over the world. For Hitler, the ideal "Aryan" was blond, blue-eyed, and tall."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/7961211/Hitler-had-Jewish-and-African-roots-DNA-tests-show.html

DNA tests have shown that Adolf Hitler is likely to have had Jewish and African roots,
Saliva samples taken from 39 relatives of the Nazi leader show he may have had biological links to the various races that he tried to exterminate during the Holocaust.

Jean-Paul Mulders, a Belgian journalist, and Marc Vermeeren, a historian, tracked down the Fuhrer’s relatives, including an Austrian farmer who was his cousin, earlier this year.

A chromosome called Haplogroup E1b1b1 which showed up in their samples is rare in Western Europe and is most commonly found in the Berbers of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, as well as among Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews.

"One can from this postulate that Hitler was related to people whom he despised," Mr Mulders wrote in the Belgian magazine, Knack.

Have you ever traced your ancestry using a DNA test? Would you like to uncover your ethnic mix?
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2015 10:06:13 PM
My family tree has been traced as far back as the 15oos, so I know my heritage for at least 500 years or so :)

Because of my interest in Ancestry, I'd definitely be interested in knowing the results of an ancestry DNA test. I wouldn't care what the results were though.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/17/2015 11:58:19 PM
Deb:
A couple of years ago some people were looking for family on Facebook, did a last name search, and invited me to join a group putting together a family tree. I was surprised to find long lost relatives in Philadelphia.

Some of those folks in the group are doing the leg work digging for ancestors, and so far have found relatives dating back four generations. One of these days I'll probably take one of these family tree DNA tests.

Several years ago, my then girlfriend was attending college in Massachusetts, and some friends from her class invited me to go with them to visit a retired black college professor in Connecticut. As it happened, he had taken a DNA test to find his racial heritage. He was shocked to find his test result was 42 percent white. By the same token, many white people don't realize they have black ancestry.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 12:10:52 AM

By the same token, many white people don't realize they have black ancestry.

Lol ... not me! I use oils in my hair and my (red-headed) daughter was the only girl in tonight's homecoming pictures with ashy kneecaps

I would be VERY surprised if the tests revealed no black ancestry.
 Jo van
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/18/2015 5:48:31 AM
IMO., the entire notion/paradigm of "race" was a mistake.
If you take the above example of 500 years, working at 4 generations/century (for ease of maths. but may be lower), that's 20 generations.
That means that 500 years ago, we each had one million direct ancestors. (2 to the power of 20)
Keep doubling it every 25 years, and by the time you go back just 800 years, we each have about four Billion direct ancestors. (2 to the power of 32)
There's no such thing as "racial purity". Not now, and not ever before.

The other thing people always overlook (IMO) is that genes come from people, not places.
Your "Ancestry DNA Test" might be able to tell you the likely general migration paths of all of human-kind's ancestors, and they can trace specific mutations back to specific areas, at approximately specific time periods, but there have never existed any genetically-isolated, "pure races", because they all had ancestors which originated elsewhere, before they moved to the areas which they then became historically associated with.
Eg.
According to National Geographic's "Genome Project", the mutation which caused blue eyes to appear occurred somewhere near the Black Sea (That's NOT "racist"!!) around 9,000 years ago. Ande everyone with blue eyes shares that same mutation.
Blue eyes now occur in almost every alleged "race".
Trevor MacDonald has blue eyes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_McDonald

The same goes for attached of unattached earlobes, wet or dry ear-wax, male pattern baldness, and whether you can roll your tongue into a tube, or not, and many other genetically transmitted traits.

It has been calculated that the "Most Recent Common Ancestor" (MRCA) of everyone alive today (More than 7 Billion) could be as recently as 2-3,000 years ago, and that we're all "related" to something like the level of 56th cousins. (?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_recent_common_ancestor#MRCA_of_all_living_humans

How long does it take for a "race" to appear..? And WHEN??

My ancestors are from every single historical "tribe/"race" which ever existed, and from every area which they ever occupied or passed through.
Consequently, I am entirely free of any "tribal/racial" loyalties, or guilt.
It's very liberating.
I have no wish to delve any further.
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/18/2015 8:20:34 AM
No, it would not mean anything to me.
 _babblefish
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:14:28 AM

Emeritus Professor of Human Genetics at UCL said: “On a long trudge through history – two parents, four great-grandparents, and so on – very soon everyone runs out of ancestors and has to share them.

commercial DNA testing is nothing more than a business, and the business is genetic astrology
*bats mutant blue eyes
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:54:09 AM
It would be embarrassing to find out that an ancestor owned slave(s).

Seriously, this happened to Ben Affleck on the PBS show Finding Your Roots .

Ben went to great lengths to have those details omitted from the show, causing the show to be suspended when the truth came out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/25/after-omitting-details-of-ben-afflecks-slave-owning-ancestor-finding-your-roots-is-suspended-by-pbs/
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/18/2015 3:00:19 PM

ClooneysClone :

Ben went to great lengths to have those details omitted from the show, causing the show to be suspended when the truth came out.

I don't watch TV, but remember reading Affleck trying to suppress the findings about his past. The show took a lot of heat about it, and the future of the show is now up in the air.
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 3:24:15 PM
I think it would be interesting, but it being actuate would be important. I know a lot about my mother's side and a little about my father's. Personally I don't think it would mean anything negative to me, not like I'm going to be upset to find out the truth.
 2ufo
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/18/2015 6:39:50 PM

ClooneysClone :

Ilove2laugh :
I don't watch TV, but remember reading Affleck trying to suppress the findings about his past. The show took a lot of heat about it, and the future of the show is now up in the air.

It would have been far more intriguing if it had been Will Smith or Denzel Washington to have had an ancestor who owned slaves.

I wouldn't have found it embarrassing - that was historical accuracy and acceptable to many people of the time and place.
My ancestors of the 1800s never owned slaves; they were too poor.

I'd like to have an ancestry/National Geographic DNA test done but haven't yet. Maybe later.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 6:51:23 PM
Well the wee family tree below on the surname link (start with sara francine my lassie) traces my name back to the early 1700's. Although there had to have been a mixed marriage somewhere as my blood are all proddies whereas the author alan lugton is a bead rattler (catholic).

A clive lugton from edinburgh was deported to canada after the 45' . He was also described as a borderline idiot but i think that was because he fought for the bonnie prince.

Variations of my name seemingly appear in the domesday book. There are two villages called after my second name. One through the west of scotland the other just outside edinburgh.
And apparently there are more lugtons in the melbourne area than anywhere else in the world.

Still the macduffs have claimed my name as their's so lead on macduff indeed. And one of the multi story housing blocks in my area is named moncreiffe. And did yous know there is only one lake in scotland? Lake menteith. All others are lochs. In case yous were wondering like.

http://www.lugton.net/tree/p_9f.htm#34

"Historic seat Macduff's Castle
Duff, Fife, Fyfe, Clan Kilgour (Kilgore), Spence, Spens, Wemyss.[4]
Clan MacDuff or Clan Duff is a Lowland Scottish clan.[5] The clan does not currently have a chief and is therefore considered an Armigerous clan, which is registered with the Lyon Court.[5][6] The early chiefs of Clan MacDuff were the original Earls of Fife, although this title went to the Stewarts of Albany in the late fourteenth century. The title returned to the MacDuff chief when William Duff was made Earl Fife in 1759. His descendant Alexander Duff was made Duke of Fife in 1889."

The Clan Duff claims descent from the original Royal Scoto-Pictish line of which Queen Gruoch of Scotland, wife of Macbeth, King of Scotland was the senior representative.[5] After the death of MacBeth, Malcolm III of Scotland seized the Crown and his son Aedh married the daughter of Queen Gruoch.[5] Aedh was created Earl of Fife and abbot of Abernethy.[5] The early chiefs of Clan MacDuff were the Earls of Fife. Sir Iain Moncreiffe wrote that the Clan MacDuff was the premier clan among the Scottish Gaels.[7] Today the Earls of Wemyss are thought to be the descendants in the male line of Gille Míchéil, Earl of Fife, thought to be one of the first Clan MacDuff chiefs.[7] "
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_MacDuff
 NJgirl116
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/18/2015 8:24:44 PM
I've been curious about a test like this for a while, so I'm getting some good information from this thread. I will update when I get my results.
Posted: 10/19/2015 4:52:38 PM
Up to a point, it might be interesting to know who your ancestors were, back maybe several generations. But otherwise, eventually it becomes meaningless. One of the things that we've learned about all of this is that we are all related. Every single person can claim some relation to some historical figure.

Think about it...everybody in these forums, for example, is my cousin. You are all related to each other in some way.

Also, check this out - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_collapse
 BBEisBack
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2015 5:04:49 PM
I read a study a while back, that a Large Minority of People today, the person who is listed as Their Father, on their Birth Certificate, isn't really their Father. In many of those cases, the Listed Father didn't know, He wasn't...
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:15:52 PM
^ My Dad isn't my biological father, but he had more impact on who I am, it would seem, than any other one person. Genetics are interesting for sure, but without knowing how ancestors' genes manifested themselves in their behaviour or illnesses, ancestry doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. Except maybe for finding people who are alive today who I'm biological related to for the purpose of comparing similarities - that would be interesting for sure.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/24/2015 1:47:33 PM

............the person who is listed as Their Father, on their Birth Certificate, isn't really their Father. In many of those cases, the Listed Father didn't know, He wasn't...

Many years ago, I started a conversation with an elderly patient.
"If there was one thing, and one thing only, you could change about your life, what would it be?"
Immediately he replied, "I would have divorced my wife. We never, not once discussed it, but when I returned home to the states from war, she was pregnant. I had been gone for over a year. I raised the baby, a daughter as my own but WE know I am not her father. The wife died several years ago. Took that secret to her grave."

I was speechless.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2015 7:59:43 PM
.. .. And to think Jerry Springer has been asking this question for years. DNA... Take one of these tests and your DNA is on file with someone.... Somewhere.

But hey, at least you'll know where you came from. At least as far as a chemical signature goes. And.... We all know there is more to all of us than fancifully arranged molecules.

But, who really knows? Seems when you learn you also yearn for more.... Questions? Knowledge? Answers? DNA.... Quirky stuff I'd say.
 csillagjanos
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2015 9:00:24 PM
It would be interesting for me to know that one of my direct ancestors was Chlepsesu pharaoh of Israel. (The mother of all Liebkowitz kids.)

And that my paternal-grandmothernal-great-grandmother was actually a man.

And that a personality of mine in a previous life was my own direct ancestor. Talk about inbreeding.

I often dream that I am two cats and I play with each other.
 csillagjanos
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2015 9:11:40 PM
""""I read a study a while back, that a Large Minority of People today, the person who is listed as Their Father, on their Birth Certificate, isn't really their Father. In many of those cases, the Listed Father didn't know, He wasn't..."""

Whom do you mean by Their Father: their biological father, or our Father, the Good Lord above?

Because if you mean the latter, then yes, these large minority groups are right. To the Muslims, their Father is Allah, and the North American Natives have Manitou as their heavenly Father, even if they turn to Christianity and assume (get adopted by) the Great Father of Christianity.
 StumbledN
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/26/2015 2:03:17 AM

Whom do you mean by Their Father: their biological father, or our Father, the Good Lord above?

I think he means that the person listed as "Father" on the birth certificate is not necessarily the actual biological father. For birth certificate purposes, the father is usually whoever the mother says it is. And if the actual father is the milkman or the guy next door, the mother may feel the need to lie about that. The mother's husband or significant other may not have a clue what she's been up to. Other times, there may be several possible fathers and the mother has to just guess at which one it is. They don't usually run a DNA test solely to make sure the information on every birth certificate is correct.
 hopingforlovee
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/26/2015 7:09:40 AM

A chromosome called Haplogroup E1b1b1 which showed up in their samples is rare in Western Europe and is most commonly found in the Berbers of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, as well as among Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews.

"One can from this postulate that Hitler was related to people whom he despised," Mr Mulders wrote in the Belgian magazine, Knack

I always heard Hitler might have had Jewish blood and regularly watch American Hero Channel, that has lots of war documentaries on Hitler. When he was very young, he apparently had a serious love interest in a Jewish girl. It may well be her spurning him was one of the catalysts causing his hatred. But he was the antithesis to the tall, blonde - blue eyed aryan athlete. What an aryan is, is another story.
 hopingforlovee
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/26/2015 7:11:15 AM

He was shocked to find his test result was 42 percent white. By the same token, many white people don't realize they have black ancestry.

Many Humans may be shocked to learn that we have some Neanderthal DNA also.
 StumbledN
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/26/2015 11:00:21 AM

Many Humans may be shocked to learn that we have some Neanderthal DNA also.

You must watch the same PBS shows I watch (I think it was NOVA). DNA testing finally resolved the long running debate among expert Anthropologists over what had become of the Neanderthals. I remember being stunned that my most favorite expert on Neanderthals had been consistently and adamantly on the wrong side of that debate for years lol!
 csillagjanos
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2015 3:46:28 PM
""""I think he means that the person listed as "Father" on the birth certificate is not necessarily the actual biological father. """"

Thanks for clearing it up for me, StumbledN. I was thinking of the Holy Spirit and how Mary did not put him down as the "father" but she, on the other hand, kept referring to him as the "Father".

This is all very confusing, who the Father really is. What the Holy Bible does not mention, is whether Mary played the field at around the time when somebody or other begat Jesus. Maybe it was Joseph. Maybe it was the Holy Spirit. But it could have been a Centurion, or a gladiator, or a street sweeper, or a snacks seller at the stadium. God only knows. I mean, Father Knows Best.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > So You Took An Ancestry DNA Test, Now What?