Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stephen_adams1982
Msg: 1
view profile
History
do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
hi its been a while since i have actually approach a woman and got the courage to say hello to some one i don't know would a woman mind if a guy approach them and say hi while they was shopping ? i normally she her shopping certain days of the week by herself when i am at work and not sure if she notice me or not is there a way to tell if a woman likes you before you approach her ?

also do woman mind being approached in pubs and how do every one else start a conversation with some one in a pub normally when i am out at a pub normally with friends but mostly nowadays no ones goes out and they all have met some one it gets boring drinking by your self sometimes since i am a little shy i find it hard to approach first

any advice would be appreciated

thank you
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 2
do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?
Posted: 10/20/2015 5:55:43 PM
I wouldn't mind at all being approached at the grocery store. I always notice handsome men with a basket. I finally met the guy who works in dairy too. If I want to talk, I'll make eye contact and smile. And I suppose I'm just chicken that I don't say something myself.
Call me dorky, but I love chatting up the quality of the brussel sprouts or oranges.
Really, the most welcoming, warmest, looks and smiles I've received are from men in their 50s-ish and although handsome and I'd totally be up to striking up a "hello", they're probably married.
The ones my age are involved in their phone, or look like they're in a dizzying rush.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/20/2015 6:51:23 PM
@ OP

hi its been a while since i have actually approach a woman and got the courage to say hello to some one i don't know would a woman mind if a guy approach them and say hi while they was shopping ?

Would she mind?

Well put yourself in her place;
You are shopping all alone, when some geezer shows up on you with a grin to say "hello" without knowing if you are A) already married or in a relationship, B) straight or gay, C) or what frame of mind you are in that day.

Likewise, she doesn't know you from a glob of snot,
and thus to her you could very well be some loon who forgot to take his pills that day,
or even a serial killer warming up to her for the possible chance of slitting her throat in some secluded location.

also do woman mind being approached in pubs and how do every one else start a conversation with some one in a pub

It depends on what type of Pub you are in, I would guess
If it is a singles type of scene then many ladies would not mind at all because that is what is to be expected.

You start conversation like everyone else by using small talk, such as:

"hey ladies, you look wonderful tonight, here's to you"; if you get a favorable reply,then you ask:
" would you ladies like our (or my) company for a friendly chat?"

You may want to go to pubs far from where you live in order to practice your lines so if you mess up and sound foolish, it won't be known by anyone else you know. Its important to keep your composure, so you have to limit the the intake of booze (unless your aim is for both of you to be smashed by night's end).
 sealady111
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/21/2015 12:00:13 AM
I walk up to and say Hi to people all the time.

If a handsome charming man walked up to me at the supermarket and started a conversation that would be great.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/21/2015 5:13:05 AM
I think the OP is referring to one woman he sees at the grocery store. IDK, you could scope out her buggy, might give you a clue if she is single. Saying hi is fine, standing and staring afterwards not good :(
Women expect to be approached in pubs.
I speak to shop staff, etc all the time, wouldn't walk up to a random stranger and say Hi
 call_me_tater
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/21/2015 9:38:38 AM
I get into convo or little chats with lots of people in the grocery store...I don't ever mind if someone talks to me.
I do mind being followed around the store as it's rather creepy.
Don't just strike up a random conversation...it's gotta be "these strawberries aren't looking good today" or "I know this chicken is on sale but I'm dying for a steak".

As for pubs, they're social places, so go ahead.
I've met many nice people and had great chats while out.
It's nice when everybody talks to each other.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/21/2015 9:56:05 AM
Be conscious of where you are in the supermarket. If shes heading to the tampax aisle, she may not want to be bothered. Same goes for a woman shopping for diapers and baby food.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/21/2015 10:50:24 AM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE chit chat in the market, or when I'm out and about. SO rare. What a treat, to have an actual, real conversation initiated by a man and it's not on an online dating site.

I could ONLY wish I'd be that lucky!

Positive, pleasant male attention is the rarest thing on the planet.
 StarClassic
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/21/2015 11:14:38 AM
^^^ Next time you travel VK, stop through Kansas instead of flying over.
Any small town should suffice. Off the top of my head I could recommend Eskridge, Alma, Lindsborg, Marrion, Hugoton, Herrington, Council Grove,
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/21/2015 12:27:26 PM

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE chit chat in the market, or when I'm out and about. SO rare. What a treat, to have an actual, real conversation initiated by a man and it's not on an online dating site.

I could ONLY wish I'd be that lucky!

Positive, pleasant male attention is the rarest thing on the planet.

Amen to that.

And Irishgirl, funny :) Men have no slightly awkward areas huh. Condom buying area? no, he'd probably feel all macho. Fun question for the men here, where would you feel awkward if approached at in a grocery store?
 sealady111
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/21/2015 2:52:35 PM
So OP, seems like you have the go ahead.
Just avoid the condom or other personal items section.

Fresh food section would be my pick.
Discussing how to choose can be a great conversation starter.
You can also walk with her to her car and help load her shopping.
Very gallant.

Good luck.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/21/2015 4:03:40 PM

Discussing how to choose can be a great conversation starter.

I agree.

Unfortunate incident 2 weeks ago: I went to one store first to buy Gain fabric softener (and you know how strong that is). I lugged it to another store to do my main shopping, going around thinking, "where's that smell coming from?"
Leaked. Man, I stunk. No one would want to talk to me then.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/21/2015 9:02:13 PM
^^^^ I had a friend who was out in public and he kept getting this waft of poop. He kept staring at this guy who was close by thinking God, this guy smells. Then he got home and pulled down his pants and realized he had crapped himself.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/21/2015 9:07:36 PM

I had a friend who was out in public and he kept getting this waft of poop. He kept staring at this guy who was close by thinking God, this guy smells. Then he got home and pulled down his pants and realized he had crapped himself.

Now that was funny!
 south_city
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/22/2015 7:20:03 AM
If she is single, available, and thinks you are attractive, she will like it. Otherwise, she will think you are being creepy. LOL.
Posted: 10/22/2015 5:13:43 PM

You are shopping all alone, when some geezer shows up on you with a grin to say "hello" without knowing if you are A) already married or in a relationship, B) straight or gay, C) or what frame of mind you are in that day.

and thus to her you could very well be some loon who forgot to take his pills that day,
or even a serial killer warming up to her for the possible chance of slitting her throat in some secluded location.

This wouldn't make any sense nor apply. We're just talking about approaching and saying hi. The idea is to do just that, and then proceed to find out about the other things.
 Brisco414
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/22/2015 6:40:32 PM
VK:
"I had a friend who was out in public and he kept getting this waft of poop. He kept staring at this guy who was close by thinking God, this guy smells. Then he got home and pulled down his pants and realized he had crapped himself."

Please tell me how someone doesn't know they crapped themselves? Hysterical! So he sharted. How do you not know. My goodness!
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/22/2015 8:26:52 PM
I know...I have no idea, I've asked him a few times about that because we are always laughing and talking about "crap" like this. Haha. I said how the heck did you not feel that? Perhaps it was an "oozer". I guess it's par for the course for him, he's always discussing skid marks and hemorrhoids and stuff, so it's just one more incident for the books. Funny though, to be sneering at others and it turns out YOU were the one who dooted in their shorts.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/22/2015 8:50:00 PM
It worked for Martin Riggs to woo Rika van den Haas in Lethal Weapon II in 1989.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR3fJWDWMP8
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/23/2015 11:45:17 AM
I've had many conversations with women in supermarkets through out the years. Not a single one of them became a date. Usually, I just talk to anyone and really try not to hit on them. But several times, the attraction was there and we talked until they found themselves making a comment about them and their Fiance, or husband like to do this or that. To which the answer is usually, oh that is awesome, well let me go check on....

So I never put any stock on meeting in a supermarket.
 Coma_White
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2015 2:22:13 PM

Would she mind?

I think he was looking for advice that isn't completely insane. I've never thought that a stranger making small talk was in fact a serial killer trying to butter me up. None of my female friends have ever thought that about a guy asking for a number either.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/23/2015 2:28:44 PM

I've never thought that a stranger making small talk was in fact a serial killer trying to butter me up.

I don't know Comma, you could be having this conversation over the Rice Crispies eisle, or better yet, which butter is better, French butter, Danish butter or just go for the Parkay.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/23/2015 5:26:10 PM
Years back during a dry spell in my early 30's, a guy started talking to me in line at the store. Very casual jokey chit chat..and before I left we exchanged numbers.

He called me the next morning at 7am, waking me up, talking about how he wanted to meet up as soon as possible, give me a massage, etc.

That was the end of that.

It's not so much how you meet people but how you handle yourself once a connection is established.
Posted: 10/23/2015 5:34:23 PM

a guy started talking to me in line at the store. Very casual jokey chit chat..and before I left we exchanged numbers.

He called me the next morning at 7am, waking me up, talking about how he wanted to meet up as soon as possible, give me a massage, etc.

Wow.
 earwigs_have_wings
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/24/2015 5:52:43 PM
Last year a man in the grocery store was quite friendly and made a point to tell me he was a bachelor. I didn't know how to take it because it was a first. I was a little creeped out because I was there to shop and not to be picked up. What made it a little uncomfortable was my boyfriend at the time was on the other side of the grocery store.

I have found out just because someone appears to be alone, for the most part they have a significant other shopping with them but not necessarily beside them. Sometimes it saves time when shopping as a couple. How I know this is I've seen multiple attractive men on different occasions who are 'alone' and then see them ten minutes later with their wife and child.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?