Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > POF Chemistry Y Relationships Tests: Low in self control?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rythmn
Msg: 1
view profile
History
POF Chemistry Y Relationships Tests: Low in self control?Page 1 of 1    
POF's chemistry profile has a self control feature. So far I have not seen one person who is "not" low in self control! Has anyone? Am I attracting the wild ones or what? It also says I am low in self control. Hmmm. Better not let loose anymore or they might arrest me:) Quite frankly, although I can run my mouth off quite a bit, my actions demonstrate considerable self control. So, any real insight into this expert test that goes onto our profiles? BTW, then there is the family feature. I adopted and raised my kids 24/7. They say now I am not family connected, even though I babysit my grand kids and talk to my daughter all the time (well, at least one of them). Don't the dogs and cats count?!* This test is not geared for those of us with empty nests who finally want to get out and play. Any thoughts or experiences? I actually blocked one of my findings because I did not feel it reflected the truth for my age group.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 2
POF Chemistry Y Relationships Tests: Low in self control?
Posted: 11/21/2015 11:29:17 PM
Personally, I think chemistry/personality tests are useless at narrowing down potential connections.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/21/2015 11:55:09 PM
Well it's certainly not Chemistry, it's personality traits. I have never given mine a second thought since filling it out and I NEVER check it in the 100's of profiles I visit every month. I just looked and one of my categories is way off the mark so I assume it's the same for others.

As far as REAL Chemistry, there doesn't seem to be anyone left in the Forums with the foggiest idea of what it actually is. Obviously the folks seeking a LTR willing to type for weeks or months are clueless also. I think it highly likely that all the various chemicals most folks are putting into and/or onto their bodies interfere with the production of pheromones and/OR the ability to detect them in others.

It does not bode well for Humanity. Sooner or later another plague will come along. They always do.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2015 10:47:43 AM
"Low in Self Control" can just mean energetic or high-spirited. It doesn't mean you lack the ability to hold it until you can find a flush toilet. Being impulsive can mean you like to try different things and places a lot, or it could mean you have 3000 pairs of shoes that have never been worn twice. It's a very generic evaluation for a reason.

Frankly, due to several dates I've had with women who are AD/HD or similar behavior, I tend to believe the most stable and dedicated women are probably already taken, married or otherwise in relationships - and the people who struggle with decisions and commitments DO populate these dating sites in significant numbers.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/22/2015 10:55:55 AM
OP, I have had a number of profiles on here since I joined in 08. Every time I fill out a new profile I answer the Chemistry questions in random order. Or in sequential order depending on my mood. Sometimes in accordance with how I feel that day. I always come up with low or no self control.

Just take it with a grain of salt. It is a marketing tool used to glean information from you and for entertainment value to suck us in further and further.

Le Pew
 spot4username
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/22/2015 10:57:16 AM
I took those tests back when I first joined POF.

I am not the same person in a lot of ways.

Unfortunately you can't take them again and update the results.
 csillagjanos
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2015 12:37:28 PM
Dear Perspiracity, I can't control others, but I can control myself. Very well. Except I choose not to. I have enough control over myself to not allow myself to control myself.

I hope this answers your question.

-----------------

Don't the dogs and cats count?!* -- yes they do, in the hexadecimal counting system. The nearest relatives to dogs and Cats on the Evolutionary tree of life is the Duo-quad Twin module motorola 24000 computer chip. This is to anwer your other question.

----------------

"any thoughts or experiences?" -- No. Definitely no. I stay away from those like from the plague. Third question, third answer.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/22/2015 8:57:39 PM
I don't find the horoscopes very accurate either.

WTF?
 Rythmn
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2015 6:53:22 PM
Interesting that most forum people don't read the results or respond randomly. I have spoken to several potential daters who have taken them seriously. Most no nothing about these forums:) Still i think the findings are not age adjusted in their analysis. Well, thanks for this insight to many are irrelevant and not even read. Though I guess that makes sense as many do not get past the pics! As an old forum person who has "come back" to pof, i do think there are many more serious daters on the site, at least in my area, who are seriously looking (in response to some of the comments).
 LuvFishes
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/25/2015 2:34:33 PM
First I got bored with the redundant questions... so I played around with them. Not realizing you can't go back and take them for real LOL. But the test IMHO are worthless. People change, and most of it isn't remotely accurate to find someone. I was lucky when married had a good partner who shared in the adventures below:

It's saying I'm not Family Connected... I had to laugh since I reared 3 kids buried my eldest ( had a community grieving at me), was a caregiver to my adult parent for 20 yrs, had a Girl Scout troop for 10 yrs as well as Boy Scouts 5 yrs and raised half the neighborhoods kids from toddlers to college bound. Not to mention my home was the house to live at , eat, set boundaries for kids who had none. I was the Mom to call when you were in trouble, needed help or a shoulder to cry on.
Yeah I was the Mom who cared about that kid with the dirty hair, dirty clothes, or was hungry at school, taught the group how to drive a stick shift. And volunteered both at school and became a speaker for my state on Organ and Tissue donation. Learned how to lobby and get laws and roads corrected. But hell no I'm not family/community orientated.

This is my time now. I love family but the core of a relationship is God and my mate. Then the adult kids etc... Sometimes I read them, most times I take actual conversation and phone contact to figure out whether we have similar interest.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/26/2015 1:06:39 AM
I didn't even attempt the needs/chemistry test with this account. There isn't any point.

The only way to know there's mutual interest is to actually communicate -- I mean really communicate, and discern...
 Rythmn
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 12:29:47 AM
LuvFishes, I had the same result. Fost/adopted teens, was always helping everyone. Was ed surrogate in the school system and de facto parent in the courts. Now my grand kids are a priority as well. But because not age adjusted to those now living alone and with some personal life "finally" , I too look like I am not family oriented. If someone takes that seriously, I have signed affidavits from my kids:)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:05:54 AM
A lot of the 'features' in these dating sites (not just POF) are merely gimmicks to get you to play along. I'm sure there is some sort of math/calculation behind the tests, but as others have addressed - the results can't be taken seriously because you can't guarantee they were 'serious' when they did the exam. The mentality of people when they are safe at home with their identity hidden behind their internet aliases (and nobody is there to tell them they are wrong), well, people tend to think a bit differently about themselves.

Same thing for "Meet Me" or "Add to Favorites". There's no way to know they are 100% serious about meeting, or you being their 100% favorite - when for so many use those buttons are used as merely bookmarks or quick attention-getters to see if they get a reaction.

Sorry if I sound too cynical, but I believe finding a match in here is pretty much a random crap shoot. Profiles are vague, some people are NOT great with written words OR pictures, and intentions are almost never crystal-clear. Test results are not always true to form, and honesty is always 'optional' when filling out your profile.

These sites do a very good job of connecting (slightly less than) random people across great distances, but the quality of the connection is only as good as those who decide to use it. Truth is found in real life encounters. Nothing is "Real" until you meet.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/6/2016 9:36:21 AM
When I first posted to this thread, I was just a regular member. Now that I am a paying member and can see other's Chemistry results...

I sometimes look at ladies Chemistry results but pay them absolutely no mind whatsoever. My first 2 own results are about as a$$ backwards as they could possibly be and the choices for answers are very limited in quite a few questions.

I think the way folks interact with/treat others here at the Forums are likely more indicative than the Chemistry test as to actual personality. For most Forum participants anyway.

BUT ... I have had ORAL [communication] with 2 different female Forum regulars and numerous other part time contributors. I don't think their Forum participation reflects the real them in any way, shape or form.

Of course, they might have thought the same thing about me. Just another reason to go ORAL ASAP with potential mates on any OLD site if one is actually looking to spend physical time with others and have an actual Relationship.

Even if I were to see a woman with "all" the Chemistry results a mismatch, I would not let it stop me from meeting her, if we had a good phone conversation. Unless they can make the results more accurate, I think they should just delete the feature but I am sure it looks good on paper as just another bell and whistle.

The FAVE button is far and away the most useful site feature for those willing to take the time to learn how to use it. It's the Swiss Army Knife of site features.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/6/2016 10:40:22 AM

The FAVE button is far and away the most useful site feature for those willing to take the time to learn how to use it.

Agreed.
People, look at who's made you a favorite !

Just another reason to go ORAL ASAP

Do we really need another reason to go oral?
 ndm147
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:46:01 PM
I think some of the bells and whistles on dating sites are hogwash. I am on another dating site in which I answered many questions quite honestly. The site said my biggest trait was being sexually kinky. It is worth a laugh. Maybe I need to go see a therapist now about this "trait" that I did not know I ever had!
 Chromis1
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:57:20 PM

The FAVE button is far and away the most useful site feature for those willing to take the time to learn how to use it. It's the Swiss Army Knife of site features.

I agree. It's been handy in those instances when an age parameter was set, like 44-58, where I'm 59 and can't send a message. So I'd use the "favorite" feature to see if the upper limit was set in stone. Did this maybe 4 times, one time it worked. Another time, the woman had unknowingly set her restrictions to block emails from anybody who wasn't an upgraded user. The fave feature worked then, too. It does serve a purpose.
 ohenryx
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2016 10:53:16 AM

Chromis1
It's been handy in those instances when an age parameter was set, like 44-58, where I'm 59 and can't send a message. So I'd use the "favorite" feature to see if the upper limit was set in stone. Did this maybe 4 times, one time it worked. Another time, the woman had unknowingly set her restrictions to block emails from anybody who wasn't an upgraded user. The fave feature worked then, too. It does serve a purpose.

I have tried that, more than 4 times, probably about 15 or 20 times. And it has never paid off. What has worked, at least a few times, is using the “gift option” available to upgraded members. Send the lady a gift, and the words that are attached go through despite any message restrictions she or the site might have in place.

In those attached words, mention that you have an account on Ok*Cupid under the exact same userid, and she can easily talk to you there, if she should so desire.

ndm147
I think some of the bells and whistles on dating sites are hogwash. I am on another dating site in which I answered many questions quite honestly. The site said my biggest trait was being sexually kinky. It is worth a laugh. Maybe I need to go see a therapist now about this "trait" that I did not know I ever had!

NDM147, get in touch with me immediately. I can help you explore this kinky side that you never even knew you had!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > POF Chemistry Y Relationships Tests: Low in self control?