Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Frank Sinatra vs John Lennon      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1
Frank Sinatra vs John LennonPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
We've got the 100th birthday of Sinatra a few weeks away from the 75th birthday of Lennon.

Just because of this coincidence, who do you think had a bigger or more lasting impact on music? They both had screaming teenaged fans when they were 23. Both were big influences on countless artists who came after. I can't decide myself, so just wondering what arguments others would make.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 2
Frank Sinatra vs John Lennon
Posted: 12/8/2015 5:47:20 PM
halftimedad- IMO, Lennon.
Something that is missing today are new artists that write their own songs and/or lyrics. (I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying there are not enough of them)
Lennon was a genius when it came to lyrics and song writing.
Sinatra had a great voice and had some influence, but there will be people who read this who don't even know who he is. (sad, but true)
Anyone that try's to say they are into music that hasn't heard of Lennon, well.......yeah, the answer is John Lennon.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/8/2015 5:56:04 PM
During the Beatles' heyday there were the same percentage of artists who didn't write their own songs. Most of the Motown artists for example.

And I imagine there are just as many who have never heard of John Lennon as those who have never heard of Frank Sinatra.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 6:09:34 PM
I think Lennon too. I don't know the details of sinatra's public life and any challenges in he brought about in people ideas. Neither do I completely with Lennon, but a little more than Sinatra. So just based on what i do know about Lennon and the influence he had in a whole way of thinking and acting and whatever else, I'm going to say him.

I mean i know the whole rat pack thing, but that wasn't really...well...hmm...it did influence a generation of maybe a bit more rebellious acting for that time.

Fun question to think about halftime
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/8/2015 6:23:02 PM
Just to speak up for Sinatra (I'm still undecided):

Sinatra was the first teen idol. He was the first to directly address the teen market, paving the way for rock and roll.

Sinatra was the first cross over artist. The first singer to become a major movie star.

Sinatra made the first concept album over a decade before Sgt. Pepper. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning, followed by Songs for Swinging Lovers.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 6:46:15 PM
Stop making logical points :)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 6:51:51 PM
Sinatra was the consummate performer, no doubt - but I have to give the nod to Lennon because he also was a creator - writer, composer, collaborator. His creative ability is/will be missed far more than a great set of pipes.

I'd love to go to Times Square on New Years' Eve - not for the ball drop or any of that confetti and balloon crap - but just to hear half a million people - from all ages, races, walks of life - singing 'Imagine' at 10 to midnight and hoping for peace in the next year.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 9:23:46 PM
The Beatles themselves, grew up certain that it was Elvis all the way. And Presley never wrote a song of his own, he was like Sinatra, in that he did have a genius for arranging his material, and getting his musicians to perform as he wanted them to.

As for who will better stand the test of time, I don't think that's really got all that much to do with the artist themselves. It has to do with the society, and how it changes over time. Many genuinely great artists have been all but forgotten over time, not because their work wasn't original and influential, but simply because the "fan base" for them lost influence.

I still remember well, that as kid growing up, I regularly saw these old cartoons , mostly from the 1940's and 50's, wherein various female characters would swoon and say "Frankie!" while the star of the cartoon was singing. I had no idea who frankie was, and even suspected briefly that perhaps Frankenstein had had an earlier career as a singer, before becoming famous as an undead serial murderer. I only knew Frank Sinatra as an actor.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/9/2015 12:28:41 PM
Sinatra also was one of the first tight with The Mob ( Italian Mafia ), no?
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2015 12:49:12 PM
Sinatra was alone while Lennon was in this sort of successful band called THE BEATLES, therefore I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Comparing Sinatra with Elvis would be more fair since neither were part of a BAND.

Capice ?
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/9/2015 2:56:13 PM
Frank got it on with Marilyn Monroe..

John had Yoko Ono..

I think Frank wins..
 clamdigger50
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/23/2015 2:21:54 PM
Lennon. Pure talent for writing, playing, singing, arranging. Sinatra, like Celine Dion, is a lounge singer...good voice but doesn't "have it all".

I think Sinatra was a crappy actor too.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2015 7:04:27 PM
I was never much of a Beatles fan. I relate more to Frank Sinatra, as he was a regular entertainer here in Las Vegas, and is still being widely recognized.

"Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away
If you can use some exotic booze
There's a bar in far Bombay..."
 a_djentleman
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/31/2015 3:21:06 AM
Every time I hear this debate I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwyuM0PODuY

So, yeah. Don't care.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2015 9:34:18 AM
If you don't care, why post at all?

This debate is over two talented men who actually sing, rather than scream unintelligibly.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/31/2015 9:51:52 AM
Every time you hear this debate?

Damn. And I thought I had come up with an original topic. Apparently it's commonly argued.
 holby
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2016 10:32:31 PM
Maybe we should debate

Crosby v. Sinatra both actors and singers with big bands and solo performers

My preference out of them two would be Sinatra

But the one I liked best was dean Martin a great singer and actor
Who also sung with bands also good at comedy

Not forgetting tony Bennett who's still singing today

I think elvis was a one off very hard to find another elvis

Great singer acting not great

Today's comparisons with Sinatra
Are

Harry Connick vs. Michael bubble
But that's another debate
 a_djentleman
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/17/2016 2:09:40 AM

If you don't care, why post at all?This debate is over two talented men who actually sing, rather than scream unintelligibly.

THE FUCK you talking about, ignoramus? You're seriously saying Devin can't sing? Really?! ;8-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDm8VrFrUf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZjziohaPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQh9ODiFgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_vOX3s9f_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vOGSG4Og0

Dude has pipes beyond pipes... wrecks the guitar at the same time too, something those grizzly old half-talking/barely singing bastards never demonstrated. They played the "martini" and reach-arounds for the mob... which the last time I checked WEREN'T actual musical instruments. Also, music production. The talent gap is a chasm.

He did fucking Sinatra, BTW... albeit a bit tongue in cheek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4KTO6S0tg

Grow some respect old hag.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/17/2016 9:11:11 AM
I have no interest in the NFL. But I don't go into threads about who is going to win the Superbowl and start saying how the entire league is worthless and there are better sports to be interested in.

It's music. You don't have to proselytize about how your taste is the only taste worthy of the name.

Anyway, on reflection I've decided that John Lennon is the most influential in my view. Leonard Cohen picked up a guitar because he heard the Beatles and figured that was a better way to get his poetry out there. The Beatles inspired a huge proportion of future musicians to get a guitar and head into the garage with their friends. I saw a show about Kiss awhile ago. There was one great line in it (don't remember who said it): "We all wanted to be the Beatles, Kiss wanted to be Coca Cola." Even in the 70's the Beatles set the bar that everybody else was trying to reach.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/17/2016 1:06:51 PM
Sinatra...R U, kidding....
 00Spy
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/19/2016 5:56:08 PM
And I regularly tune up Frank on Serius.
I loved Lennon and I loved the Beatles.
And that is the rub for Dr. Winston O’Boogie.
John Lennon was biggest while a Beatle.
Sinatra solo and at his peak was much bigger than Lennon was as a solo act at his peak.
The Beatles I believe were bigger than Sinatra.
As for impact on music very tough to measure.
With Sinatra it was that voice and his style.
With Lennon it was his message.
I call impact a draw.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2016 7:57:18 PM

Posted By:blackonyx48
Sinatra...R U, kidding....

Some People should learn a bit more about history.......
http://barrybradford.com/frank-sinatra-and-civil-rights/
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/23/2016 2:47:23 PM
^^^^^^^
If I wanted a fcck'n history lesson...I wouldn't ask ur dumb ass....

00Spy
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/23/2016 10:38:09 PM
Such anger onyx...

I Imagine Instant Karma is Going to Get You. A Day in the Life of you must be quite a Revolution. Your Mother must have dumped you Cold Turkey and handed you a Ticket to Ride. But it's not to late for Starting Over and accepting God in order to Come Together. I wonder How Do You Sleep and that if you don't get Help I fear you will stay Crippled Inside. But Whatever Gets You Through the Night you need to stop being such a Jealous Guy, quit the Mind Games and
Give Peace a Chance!
Merry Christmas Onyx the War is Over!
 BBEisBack
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2016 6:13:18 PM
You're a Real Class Act there........

Do You Kiss Your Mamma, with that Foul Dirty Mouth?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Frank Sinatra vs John Lennon