Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How to know..are the real or just made up      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 simpleKSChick
Msg: 1
How to know..are the real or just made upPage 1 of 1    
I've been texting and talking on the phone with someone I met on here for almost 10 weeks. However, family issues have come up and a supposed sick family member. He lives a town a way but has been in two states awake since a week after we began talking. How can u tell if they are truly who they say?
 coexist64
Msg: 2
How to know..are the real or just made up
Posted: 12/18/2015 2:02:27 AM
10 weeks?

Why waste that kind of time?

Meet them in person in public ASAP!

If they make excuse after excuse why they can't meet
that's a red flag and you should move on.
 import_from_uk
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/18/2015 6:10:24 AM
Only way to know 100% is to meet them. Someone who always has an excuse either isn't real or isn't all that interested anyway.
 carolann0308
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2015 6:12:22 AM
Email him and say you will be happy to meet him once he's back. And then keep looking.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/18/2015 7:40:56 AM
All of my communications were heavily dependent on whether they could meet with me within 2 weeks or not. If for any reason, they could not meet me, I lost interest and there was no point in continuing any conversation. I'm not interested in getting to know anyone who cannot meet me.

In addition, if they did not allude to a meeting within the first 3 conversations (by messages), I also lost interest. For all I know, they just want to talk, and I have plenty of people I can do that with, who I can actually meet in person.

A date needed to be planned and set within the first 3 conversations, and once the date is set, no other communication is needed until a day before the date, or the day of the date, to confirm that we are still on or there is a delay or anything like that.

You cannot assess whether you like someone, feel comfortable in their presence, their voice resonates with yours, you enjoy their company, how they treat you.......................until you actually meet. Everything before you're face to face is bullsh*t.

Focus on meeting and don't make the mistake that many other people make, letting their feelings grow out of proportion for a stranger they've never met. People who are heavy into talking on the phone or talking for a long time before they meet are running their own agenda, and influencing your feelings prior to meeting. They are trying to do that whole "foot in the door" technique, so that the rest of their agenda can be achieved with ease. The "foot in the door" is basically to try to get you to do something you typically don't do (something small usually), once this is achieved, they figure if they already got you to do something, they can get you to do something else. Next thing you know, you are all enthralled with someone you haven't even met, and you'd do anything in person. They buttered you up, and you fell right into it.

How else do you think scams work? lol
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/18/2015 8:00:41 AM
This thing is on a slow boat to China.

He must be..hawt.

The farce is strong with this one...
 crabdipper
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/18/2015 6:37:42 PM

How can u tell if they are truly who they say?

Sometimes there is a good clue when reading their profile.
One great example is your own.
How did you get your birthday wrong?
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/18/2015 6:47:42 PM
I agree that it's helpful to read the profile. It's surprising how many people don't.
 Seki1949
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2015 7:56:07 PM
Sure you can fix. Delete current profile. Create new profile with correct birthdate. Estimated time to completion 2 minutes.

No picture? Troll in my mind. Next!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2015 8:20:09 PM
as has been said many times 10 weeks is way too long to waste time. You cant know how genuine they are until you meet in person and sometimes not even then. His pics may be hot but he may not actually be. Keep in touch if you feel some interest but leave your options open. He is probably doing the same thing.

tangofish
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2015 8:49:45 PM
I know I'm a fake, I stole these pictures from some guy named Steve. I mean he gave me permission to use them so I could scam women out of their time, so maybe stole isn't the right word. Borrowed? Anyway the point is, how would you like to have a 10 week conversation with me simpleK?
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/19/2015 2:01:50 AM
You won't really know, until you have had several meetings and time spent with this person...even then, questions may come to mind about the legitimacy of this person's story.

Family problems/ illness is a numero uno excuse for people to break dates, refuse to meet in person, end relationships, and move on to somebody else. (It's also one of the cruelest lies to tell somebody.) OTOH, family illnesses are real and people who have to care for children and parents with serious illness don't have the time or resources to fly/drive around and meet people they met on the internet.

You've invested ten months in this person, and they're not in a position to meet you. Does this strike you as odd enough? Do you really want to waste your time in speaking with an unavailable person, or a person who isn't whom they say they are?
 simpleKSChick
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/19/2015 2:11:25 AM
I'm not a fake. And thank you for telling me how to fix my age. I dunno how it got all screwed up. Your answer to the No Pic you wanted to know. Up until Monday and accepting a new job I worked in a maximum security prison. It's called safety
 auc_mmdccv
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2015 2:24:20 AM
Ten weeks?
No meeting?
"Sick" family member?
The request for money will come soon.
Flick them.
 runningout
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2015 5:21:28 AM
There is no way to truly know if someone is fake or not. Whether you talk a day or ten weeks, it doesn't matter. If you meet the guy for dinner, doesn't mean there is no wife. The only way to truly find out is to spend time together, meet his friends and family.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 16
How to know are the real or just made up
Posted: 12/19/2015 6:38:54 AM
For future reference, you can change your birthday within two weeks of signing up with the Essential Information section near the bottom of the Edit Profile page. Just change the Birthdate and then click Update Registration. But since two weeks have past since you registered, deleting your account and creating a new one is now your only option.

To delete your account, click Help at the top of any POF page. Scroll down to How do I delete my account and click the link in Go here Delete Account. That will take you directly to the delete account page. You will be asked to sign in if you have not already done so in order to complete the process.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How to know..are the real or just made up