Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > why would one send ones kids to a school of religion A and demand rel      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deetristate
Msg: 1
why would one send ones kids to a school of religion A and demand religion BPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Examples are Muslims sending kids to a catholic school and declaring a Muslim prayer room

Example b is Jewish families sending kus to an Episcopal school and then demanding that the school not have service once a week.

I am just trying to understand the thinking.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
why would one send ones kids to a school of religion A and demand religion B
Posted: 12/18/2015 2:08:39 PM
Need more details to be sure. On the surface, it seems silly, however...

I've OCCASIONALLY run across situations where someone ONLY had access to one school system or other similar function.

I've also started to see too many occasions where governments decide to "save tax payers money" by outsourcing regular government functions to private institutions, and failed to make sure that they weren't religion-based organizations. That happened more during the Bush era idea of trying to partner with religious charities, to avoid government responsibilities to see the the welfare of it's citizens.
Posted: 12/18/2015 4:40:19 PM
...yes, and like sending your kids to public schools and demanding that they teach 'intelligent design' or that there's a controversy between it and evolution.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/18/2015 4:51:56 PM

I'm a little confused...any religious school, is a private school. Therefore, one can request, demand, cajole all they wish to have another religion taught, but private schools, to my knowledge, do not have to comply. And religion may not be taught in public schools...so, what are you talking about?
 kj521
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/18/2015 5:00:37 PM
I am confused by that, also, Mr. Irish. Perhaps, this occurs in other countries?

The only personal experience I have is with non religious parents sending their children to a private religious schools. Their reason being the higher level of academic success of a particular school in my area.
 daynadaze
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2015 5:46:14 PM
My brother converted (or whatever they call it) to Judaism some 20+ years ago, so my nephew and youngest niece were raised Jewish. I apologize if I'm not using the correct terms. They went to Catholic schools, I assume there are no Jewish schools to go to, because he didn't want them going to public schools, he wanted them to have a better education. I'm not sure that's always the case but many think they are getting better educations in private schools. Since they are not Catholic, they did not attention any religious study classes or do prayers, etc. Something I've noticed about Catholics and Jews is that they do not recruit members, they aren't trying to sway you or get you to join up. The only groups I've heard of that are trying to get their beliefs taught in schools & science taken out, usually pubic schools, are far-right Creationists.
 deetristate
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/18/2015 6:19:15 PM
""""where governments decide to "save tax payers money" by outsourcing regular government functions to private institutions, and failed to make sure that they weren't religion-based organizations.""""

That is a very interesting take on this. That is not the case in the instances I described but that probably happens.

I guess that the situations I described struck me as a person moving into a neighborhood where they require that your house be painted beige or white and then you want a purple one. Or moving near an airport and then deciding that the airplanes make too much noise and demanding that it be closed.

Both instances occurred in the USA.
One was a private Catholic school and the other a private school, Episcopal.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/18/2015 6:41:15 PM

where governments decide to "save tax payers money" by outsourcing regular government functions to private institutions, and failed to make sure that they weren't religion-based organizations.

I'm sure you think this is happening every day, but since it is against the law to teach religion in any public funded education, I very much doubt this happens. When a private school receives public funding the rules change. In this litigious society the liability would be huge.

Both instances occurred in the USA.
One was a private Catholic school and the other a private school, Episcopal.

Doncha just love it when someone throws out some "facts" and provides no source.
 gtomustang
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/18/2015 9:23:19 PM
well, I Bing'd your phrase "muslims sending kids to a catholic school and declaring a muslim prayer room" and found its occurring in a few places--and the schools don't have a problem being diverse. one is:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/17/muslim-prayer-room-opens-in-catholic-high-school

the second one listed is:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/03/prayer-rooms-for-muslim-students-are-the-big-new-thing-at-christian-colleges-now/

apparently, its not a big deal. Heck, I went to Catholic School back in the late 80's and surprise, they were teaching alternate religions. They too wanted students to get a variety of choices. We weren't even Catholic, but my parents sent me there anyway. Its a better education than the public school in town, its networking with the rich kids, its a foot in the door to local ivy colleges, there's more discipline among the students than at a public school, perhaps the church helped them immigrate....its a bunch of reasons.
 throttle_junkie
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/19/2015 1:20:22 AM

Examples are Muslims sending kids to a catholic school and declaring a Muslim prayer room

Example b is Jewish families sending kus to an Episcopal school and then demanding that the school not have service once a week. I am just trying to understand the thinking.

My son went to a Lutheran school, and some non Christian parents objected to school sanctioned Christian prayer, and a short daily service. At a school PTA type meeting myself and maybe 20 other parents parents threatened to take our kids out of the school if the non-Christians changed ONE thing about the school.

The few non-Christian parents left the room, and took their kids from the school. Good riddance.
 deetristate
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/19/2015 3:48:58 AM
Good for you and the other parents, TJ.

I get the parents who say "Are you kidding?" to the parents who make the demands.
I just wonder what was in the brains of the parents who KNEW that they were sending their kids to a school of a particular religion
(but wanted to practice and promote another religion (while there) or prevent practice of that religion at a school of that religion)

I know of a school that capitulated, changing the name of its weekly service from "devotion" to "assembly" and then eventually removing all signs and actions of school's announced religion from the gathering place. Again, based on a vocal minority of parents who did not practice the religion but sent their children to that school anyway.

No one is eating beef burgers at Hindu Culture School.

No one is praying from the Torah at myisom

And no one is bringing non-kosher birthday cake to Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day.

I don't think that anyone would attempt it.

Maybe it is just protestants and Catholics who feel that they need to allow it. Maybe it is just with Catholics and protestants that people feel that they can make such demands because they will probably give in.

Just wondered what was in the brains of the parents making the demands.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2015 8:03:39 AM
When you send your kid to a private school, you agree to their Terms and Conditions. Bet those parents just speed-scrolled through that lengthy text box and clicked on "I Agree" without reading a word of it.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/19/2015 10:16:12 AM
Yes I beleive it is a very good idea to send your kid to a school segregated by religion, basically reinforcing that only people who believe exactly the same things are "good" or "acceptable" to mix with..this will never cause any problems for them later in life

probably a good idea to further segregate by gender, race..height? eye color ? maybe ancestral roots as well ?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/19/2015 11:00:07 AM
I don't know if it's still the case, but in Newfoundland you had to send your kids to either a Catholic or Protestant school - there were no secular choices.

And in Ontario the Catholic School Boards are protected in the Constitution. If that's the school a block away, you might choose to send your kids to that government funded school.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/19/2015 12:10:37 PM
I grew up in Utah, a state populated by a single religion. The public schools there bent over backwards to be non-religious in any way. In junior high and high school, the LDS church offered Seminary before school, in high school both before school, and a "release" hour. Kids usually could just walk across the street to the seminary class. Kids who wished a release hour to work were allowed that also. There was never any prayer in school. At least not until Eisenhower stuck "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance.

Why would a school run by a major denomination accept a child from a religious tradition that requires prayer five times daily, and then make it difficult for that child to pray?
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/19/2015 1:49:19 PM
Halftime, Newfoundland abolished that "system" years ago - because it was bankrupting the provincial treasury, duplication of all the management, and replaced it with secular schools. How could probably the poorest province in Canada at the time really afford duplicate school systems in every backwater port?

well, take tax money, transfer payments from the " have" provinces you may say.

at the time only 3, Ontario, Alberta, and BC..

now Ontario is not on that list and Alberta is on its way off with crude at $40 per barrel or less

does BC still qualify?

even if it does, is a province with around 10% , at most 15% of thr country's population able to subsidize the other 85-90 %?

if so, for how long? Indefinitely? Until taxpayers revolt?
 gtomustang
Msg: 17
maybe a little more to the story?
Posted: 12/19/2015 2:51:14 PM
now i'm kinda curious where this happened. There used to be a debate about making Catholic hospitals have to hand out birth control, and the argument was in certain locations, the poverty level was too high for a for-profit hospital to be located, so the only choice for patients was a Catholic hospital. Perhaps there are places with such a low tax base, the religious schools offer a much better education. For sure, I went from A student in a public grade school in a middle class town to a C student in a Catholic school in a working class city. I know some of the students were sent there b/ their parents didn't want those kids in "some school where the girls show up in half shirts and the boys wear rainbow iron ons of marijuana leaves". Perhaps there's a Muslim family out there who feels that way, too. The ones I met tend to respect a good education and the doors it opens.

Then again, when I went on to Catholic high school, it was the age of Yuppie and many rich kids were there so the parental units could brag their kids passed the entrance test to a school with a "presidential award for excellence", whoo hoo. i'm sure no one puts a bumpersticker bragging about such things like that these days on their car.
 junipermoon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2015 3:29:06 PM

i attended catholic school and we did have muslim students. no one demanded anything. in fact, the only time i recall anyone making any kind of fuss was when a protestant kid insisted that his i.d. read 'in case of hospitalization, call a minister' (as opposed to a priest).

all non-catholics did have to take history of religion courses, like the rest of us.

people need to chill.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2015 3:45:30 PM
I'm still just guessing, because we still don't have exact specifics to deal with.

Some things other said, made me think of this another way as well. Some religious schools invite people of other beliefs or non-beliefs to attend. In such cases, it would make sense for parents of devout "other" religions to ask for accommodations.

Also, there are lots of situations, such as the one about Catholic Hospitals being required to adhere to Federal regulations for non-religious hospitals, which have occurred because the religious institution wanted to take advantage of public sector opportunities. In order to do so, they would have to comply with associated regulations.

In such a case, the same logic would apply that I agree with (and that the OP talked about), that the people who want to utilize the [whatever]. have to accept what that comes with.

I agree that people who decide they want their kids educated at a private religious school, should logically accept what that means, and have no leg to stand on, when it comes to demanding other religious accommodations. I apply the same logic to everyone, be it individuals or organizations of individuals.

I've learned, however, not to make snap decisions about such things. Because I HAVE seen so much nonsense in the world, coming from every single kind of person there is.
 deetristate
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/22/2015 6:57:40 AM
I heard about a school recently that cut out Linus' speech in A Charlie Brown Christmas play because some parent objected. What do you expect to be in a play with the word Christmas in the title? I didn't hear whether it was Public or private and will look when I get to a computer today.

Never heard of anyone objecting to the dreidle song or a kid singing something celebrating Ramadan.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/22/2015 7:08:48 AM
I heard today that there exist people who do not get all upset when others do things that affect them not in the least.

but it must be just a crazy internet rumor, cannot possibly be true!

HAPPY SEASON OF THE WINTER SOLSTICE! (for the Northern Hemisphere)

(Summer Solstice for our friends South of the Equator)
 daynadaze
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2015 9:05:56 AM
Because Christmas is the most common word used for the holiday celebrations around this time of year, for many it means presents, Santa, candy, time off and lots of fun things to do.
 deetristate
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/22/2015 9:06:53 AM
Another school canceled a Santa letter delivery because a Jewish mother objected to it as excluding other religions.

Don't nonbelievers say Santa has nothing to do with religion?.

Some people just don't like happiness or joy or peace in others.

They just like to rain on parades. Religion is just a vehicle.

I have heard of parents keeping their kids home on gay day at schools. I haven't heard of them cancelling it or trying to cancel it. Maybe it is different methods in cons and libs.

Most Jewish people couldn't be care less or enjoy the celebrations of others Just as some Christians participate in some of the hanakah activities and the big meal at the end of the fast in some north African religions. No sweat off them. But some people . . .
 trinity818
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2015 9:54:41 AM

I have heard of parents keeping their kids home on gay day at schools. I haven't heard of them cancelling it or trying to cancel it. Maybe it is different methods in cons and libs.

I've never heard of "gay day". But I have read multiple news articles about proms being canceled because of "cross-dressing" and / or gay students. Anecdotes are really handy, aren't they?
 aj7125
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/22/2015 10:38:58 AM
The liberal PC police are getting ridiculous as far as what can and can't be said, how you say it and if you say something that has been around for hundreds and hundreds of years, it now is obscene, racist, discriminating etc etc. And no one ever said these things and felt they wanted to be racist or discriminating. We have some schools that have stricken the word "freshman" to "first year student". I will bet anything that no one in the last 600-700 years at least in the world has ever said the word freshman, wanting to discredit, discriminate, or anything demeaning to women. Only when some liberal yahoos want to stir up made up prejudices do we hear of such ridiculous things. Yes, some people are trying hard to change things that never should be changed and hopefully we don't allow it.

Merry Christmas
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > why would one send ones kids to a school of religion A and demand religion B