Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Lies on pof members profiles.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Lies on pof members profiles.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Because you wouldn't meet them otherwise?
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 6
Lies on pof members profiles.
Posted: 12/26/2015 2:16:41 AM
Am I the only one to notice that attempts at on-line humour
are usually totally misread?
Pity, because I'm sure that many prospective relationships
wither & die in this way..........

try1more
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2015 2:33:57 AM
it's easy to spot the lies on profiles, they typically start with "i am" or something similar always begins with "i" though :-)
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/26/2015 8:43:57 AM
Uum - surely 'he' can work out whether or not that potential situation is ok?
....or is that too deep for the average bloke to get to?
(I'm not getting into the intelligent groin debate)

Hostess68
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2015 12:43:44 PM
'Why do some pof members lie about their height,body type,age etc.If you meet its obvious?This has happened to me countless times.I understand it has happened to others I have spoken to.Has anyone ideas why they need to do this?'

Because they want a shag?
 try1more
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2015 12:56:00 PM
"Because they want a shag?"

wouldn't they have more luck with the r.s.p.b ? :-)

edit:
why don't those laws apply to turkeys then? :-)
thats discrimination that is!
vvvv
 Hostess68
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2015 1:04:48 PM
There are laws against such things; even at Christmas
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2015 1:36:35 AM

I was hoping that the person who said this said so in jest, in not then they have some serious issues that requires a world class psychologist......

I think you're such a lovely well meaning person and will make a really good catch for someone, either that or you shouldn't be allowed out on your own (that was a joke too btw)

Answering the bloke at the top, yes, I've met people who didn't look remotely like their photo. One sent me a photo of herself in a scuba suit, fabulous minnow like figure, how could I resist. When we met, she was more whale than minnow. When questioned she said it was her photo, just that it was taken 20 years previously.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/28/2015 2:09:52 PM
...I thought it was legal to stuff turkeys?

Profile lies...where do you start?
20year old photos, potless, living in one room,
can't/wont drive, divorced (well actually 14 year separated)
occ smoker who never stops lighting up....
ditto drinker ditto (then gets into car and drives off)
offered a bar meal, tries for a 30quid table d'hote...
......no-ones that good love.........

LyamB
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 9:38:58 AM
I think some lies are ok, such as gender, age and ethnicity...but GOD FORBID SOMEONE WANTS TO LIE ABOUT HOW YOU MET! FOR SHAME!
 Kodanshi
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2016 1:05:20 PM

The one that always gets me "Willing to lie about how we met"

Well, if you're prepared to lie about that then you're prepared to lie about everything else.

Love it!
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2016 2:47:11 PM
Why do some people lie about EVERYTHING? you might ask. You can't fault their eternal hope and optimism.I guess they think upon meeting and getting to know them their charm and wonderful personalities will win you over and make you forgive( or forget) their fibbiness.

Honestly , there's a fair few people on here who I know from everyday life.( male and female) When I click on their profiles out of nosiness I think this must be a different x, y or z to the one I know ..their inventiveness knows no bounds. Neither does what they are NOT saying know any bounds. And this isn't all small stuff....

Was talking about it with a friend last night , as she was swapping texts with yet another poffer. Couple of her exes are on here .....Walter Mitty or what! Makes me take every single thing I read with a pinch of salt.
 Hostess68
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2016 4:20:27 PM
I do have a little story to tell if you will spend some time to listen... I dated a guy from here and we got to talking about worst dates (as you do). He told me about a lady he had dated who had an amazing (but far off blurry) picture on her profile proclaiming she was 39.
He met up with said lady to find she was at least 70 and he was very angry and rude about her and to her... I put it to him that she may have had dementia or something else and maybe what she saw in the mirror WAS a 39 year old lady and didn't mean to offend but was just delusional.. He thought about it and said he hadn't thought about it that way..

All I am saying is some people here do not mean to lie they simply are old and forgetful.

I would like to think this was the case in this scenario having seen the picture of this lady but most others are lying sheet faces lol
 Aggers
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2016 2:45:41 AM
The last date I went on, over a year ago, the said lady's post date remarks were; and this was after hundreds of messages, many texts and phone calls, over a 3 week period before said "date night" in the getting to know you stakes.

"I wish you were better looking, as your command of the English language and your communication skills are brilliant, but I could just not introduce you to my family or friends, because you are just not as attractive in real life as you come across in your profile" I can live with that critique, maybe? But:-

Then she proceeded to say

"Could you not become a guru or profile writer for the good looking guys, on here"

It's nice to know I have some skills, eh?
 DJJokerit
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/1/2016 10:44:09 AM
same with me on tastebuds.fm
 Aggers
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2016 2:48:01 PM
Nah, as you know Woz, I was well chuffed with the comment! Made me feel miles better and built my confidence, but I am so glad that my elequont skills give so many hours of entertainment. HTH
 G3 M1 N1
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2016 3:32:39 PM
Think yourself lucky it's only that, one I chatted to for awhile with intention to meet revealed over a 2 week period to be maxxed out on 2 credit cards, sometimes it's what they don'y say, rather than what they do.
I half expect women to lie about their age, its pointless really and unhelpful if your searching for someone of a comparative age to yourself.
The absolute worst though is women who say "I look and act well younger than my age, and require a young stud muffin under x age! Get a grip ladies you are your age no matter how you think you look. Men are probably as bad no doubt some of the women will reply with, and fair 'nuff, no doubt for some, but not all of us delude ourselves looking for a teen/twenty something when in our 40's or 50's. Age has a habit of catching up suddenly.
 G3 M1 N1
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2016 11:20:20 AM

Posted: 7/11/2016 11:03:03 AM

one I chatted to for awhile with intention to meet revealed over a 2 week period to be maxxed out on 2 credit cards

Are you looking for a partner or a matching credit score? Unless she was asking me to pay it off i couldn't care less.

Looking for a partner, but not one where I would be responsible for her past debt problems. If your wife had debts (if theoretically you had one) you are responsible for them apparently. Now, think how much two cards maxxed out are likely to be, and her home was being repossessed too, and she mentioned other debts. Would you want to start out a relationship in that situation? You chat a few times on here, and just before you meet you get informed of the issues they are facing because of their choices to do certain things.
I don't mean to sound unfeeling or caring, I minimised what I said about her as that is her business .... but I doubt I would be in a position to bail her out. My brothers wife caught him like this for thousands before they parted, I am talking 5 figures here, ignoring the pence!
 gimllog
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2016 11:54:18 PM

Looking for a partner, but not one where I would be responsible for her past debt problems
i think its to be expected that when you start a new relationship there will be issues that may need to be resolved together. Meeting/finding out your potential partner has debts shouldn't really be an issue , sometimes your advice is all that is needed for them to manage the debt . Unless of course they make it clear that they expect you to pay them off for them. Then its time to start looking for an exit strategy.
When looking at someones profile ,you got to understand its an advertisement a hook to entice you to find out more about the person , Like most adverts they emphasize the positives and downplay or even omit any negatives, A good profile/advert will give the reader what they are looking for , So yeah some would dam right lie to gain an advantage -
Those pesky humans can be really ruthless in their quest sometimes..
 G3 M1 N1
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2016 3:48:18 PM

i think its to be expected that when you start a new relationship there will be issues that may need to be resolved together. Meeting/finding out your potential partner has debts shouldn't really be an issue , sometimes your advice is all that is needed for them to manage the debt.

I think everyone expects some degree of not so great things come along with the more positive aspects of another person entering your life. Having said that, there are "normal" levels of things and then folk who need a great deal of help such as the lady in question. Perhaps its me having wary thoughts, but with so much debt I could only think she was grasping at straws for a new life and a way out of her debt issues. Hopefully she has found a better way by now of managing it all, even if declaring herself bankrupt ...... like having children in a floundering marriage, grabbing anyone as a plaster sure won't work for the relationship.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/15/2016 3:02:04 AM
Debt issues that size are a very large Red Flag.........

Baffinland_Dog
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/16/2016 3:41:49 AM
Closer to 600/5 or 120/1
This is rough estimate because a search only goes to 600, I did a test in my area

men looking for lady (45-55) within 5 miles and that was 600 plus
lady looking for men (45-55) within 5 miles (which got expanded to 25 then I set back to 8) and that was 12, so I had to manually check distance which gave 5

It may vary be area
 npw7557
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2016 9:31:21 AM

Am I the only one to notice that attempts at on-line humour
are usually totally misread?

Almost everyone is looking for a good sense of humour in their profile.
In 99% of cases where I send a joke as first message I get a nasty/abrupt reply.
"Are you trying to be funny?" is a common reply ?
Well yes I was ! I thought you had a good sense of humour?

I would guess that what women really want someone who is serious and isn't going to joke and mess about.
GSOH is just a standard line used by most people.
 skiptalker
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 12:29:56 PM
apparently dump truck has morphed to average size somehow....
 TucsonPug
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 12:38:35 PM
Men too, a few extra pounds translate to about 5 stone over weight lol, maybe they've got fairground mirrors.
Men with heads like bowling balls and a neck that is bigger than their head.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Lies on pof members profiles.