Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do you believe or not believe that Climate change is taking place      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deetristate
Msg: 1
Why do you believe or not believe that Climate change is taking placePage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I have a friend who travels often to Iceland who tells me that I should go and visit soon before it has changed so much that the ice is an afterthought. Some say the same about Alaska.

I also see photos of the changing climate in the Poles, not to mention the weather conditions and melding of the seasons/

At the same time, those who think that it is a hoax say that climate has changed like this forever. And if you look through Almanacs, you may get that impression that they are correct.

Just wondering your thoughts.

If this was done before, I was not here, many were not and it is probably time for an update.
 Walts
Msg: 2
Why do you believe or not believe that Climate change is taking place
Posted: 12/29/2015 5:45:08 AM
Your friend is an observer and is explaining to you what he is seeing. A real live person giving his observations.

What "almanacs" are you reading? I mean, the ones that say that the climate has changed "like this" forever? I want to read them too. I may believe there has always been changes but, I don't think it's ever been at this speed.

I've personally have seen and taken pictures of three glaciers for the last 10 years or so, that have receded(melted) beyond comprehension. If you spend enough time outdoors, along with any form of recording, diaries, pics, etc, you would see that things are changing.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/29/2015 6:17:37 AM
The only people who deny climate change is happening are cult members. Exxon knew it was happening in the '70's.

You don't discuss theology with a Scientologist for the same reason.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 6:58:15 AM
Halftime
"The only people who deny climate change is happening are cult members"

Are they? So a lot of big shot scientists who hold a different view on climate change are cult members? Wow. We cannot upset the whole 'denier' industry now can we?

It is one way to stifle debate though. Throw out a pc shriek.

Did we no have ice ages and droughts before like? I posted before about some white middle class arsehole saying that hitler and Mussolini came to power because of climate change.

Until actually proven then yep i am a denier. Anything to piss of white middle class daftiehood.*

Still loads of money to be made though so fill your boots you climate change believers (you know it was mossad who done the twin towers?) I'm too busy trying to put a roof over my head and feed my family.

* disclaimer
No talking about you but white middle class arseholeism in general.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/29/2015 7:41:38 AM
No. There aren't any "big shot" scientists who deny man made global warming.

There are a handful of people with graduate degrees who are willing to take dump trucks full of money to toe the oil industry's line. Just like there were MD's and PhD's who took the tobacco industry's money for years.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 8:10:21 AM
Yes there are. Maybe you only read what you want to read. You know as much as I do about it I would think.

Still merry belated crimbo geezer.

"The Myth of the Climate Change '97%'
What is the origin of the false belief—constantly repeated—that almost all scientists agree about global Last week Secretary of State John Kerry warned graduating students at Boston College of the "crippling consequences" of climate change. "Ninety-seven percent of the world's scientists," he added, "tell us this is

Where did Mr. Kerry get the 97% figure? Perhaps from his boss, President Obama, who tweeted on May 16 that "Ninety-seven percent of scientists agree: #climate change is real, man-made and dangerous." Or maybe from NASA, which posted (in more measured language) on its website, "Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities."

Yet the assertion that 97% of scientists believe that climate change is a man-made, urgent problem is a man made urgent problem is a fiction.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136."
. ?.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/29/2015 8:27:59 AM
Hmm. So Rupert Murdoch took over a paper and now they're printing lies. Who da thunk it?

You know what's funny? I typed "Scientists on climate change" and the first three (paid) results were all climate denier pages. The first real one was this one from NASA: http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

The 97% number comes from......SCIENTISTS!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 8:40:16 AM
"Hmm. So Rupert Murdoch took over a paper and now they're printing lies. Who da thunk it?"

Ah so only the media YOU read is correct? Who'd have thunk that?

Do you honestly think YOUR media tells the truth? How naive. And how quaint.

I shall need to read the grauniad and the BBC more as they ALWAYS just tell the truth.

Away for a wee drink. I shall climb my high horse later. Oooo tis pissing down. Must be global warming eh?

How much money is the global warming scam worth by the way? How much do some folk believe what THEIR media feeds them.

Very sheeple like.

Messages this short bollocks.

Oo pikey has arrived. Bladder time.

Toodle pip
Xx
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 8:43:12 AM
Despite any argument for or against... we have been polluting the atmosphere with smoke for a millennia that would have never happened if we didn't exist. The atmosphere is shared by everyone - the whole planet. We all breathe the same air. It is NOT contained by a watershed or a mineral deposit or a barrier wall of any sort. Whatever people want to forecast what that consequence may be - global warming or otherwise - it's still air pollution, and it still affects anyone that breathes. If every power plant or transport ship or family vehicle spewed their exhaust into a local river or waterway, would anyone want to drink it? I think it's stupid that people can't see air pollution in the same context as water or landfills.
 Walts
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/29/2015 9:36:49 AM

Ah so only the media YOU read is correct?

Same question right back at ya????

The "deniers" have reasons to deny. Some would like to see things stay the same, which includes profit. Because, the "economy" is the reason we are all on this earth for. Everyone of us.

This is not rocket science, though many require the scientists to explain it to them.

Simplified, the earth is NOT an endless resource we, humans, can keep raping from. We cannot keep adding to the numbers of living members on it either(think goldfish bowl here), though we do, for many reasons, but, here's one for us all. We think we are "smarter" because we have extended the average lifetime of a person. Not bad. Except when you multiply it by the thousands, or is it millions? Not good. We have less drinkable water. Hell, we have less "useable" water. We thought, at one time, we were pretty smart growing crops in places we never once could. Again, today, we realize(or do we?) that we are not that smart, water useage in these places is multiplied as compared to other areas for the same output of crops. So in times of shortage of water, crops are burnt, because the farmers can't grow. Cool, isn't it? Or is that hot?

We also have more countries catching up to the "North American" way. Why? Well, we did it here, why can't they? And this year, tornados dropping down in the States at a time only Santa and his reindeer should be. Who woulda thunked? Here in Canada, Ontario is getting their first hit of snowfall. Psssst, it's after Christmas, and this NEVER happened so late in the season when I was younger(I'm only 54 for the history buffs). With less snow falling, less water in the summer. Again, not rocket science. We had a water "shortage" last summer here on the West(wet) coast. Not because of the lack of rain but, because of the lack of snow in the mountains.

If you believe or not, at the very least, use your eyes, brain, and memory and compare. Are things "changing" in what you experienced with regards to weather, which includes snow accumulation, river and lake levels(high and low), your garden, and what is blooming/growing earlier and later, critters and their migrations( I now have hummingbirds staying for the winter season here), fish populations/species(we can catch tuna here in British Columbia now, they weren't here 15 years ago), etc,etc?

You honestly can't think that this planet of ours can handle an endless numbers of habitants can you? Remember, think that goldfish bowl again. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go out and buy one, and add one fish. Next week, add 10 more to the same bowl. After a week, tell me how many are swimming. If you need a scientist to figure it out, I'm sure you can go rent one, somewhere.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 10:54:05 AM
"You honestly can't think that this planet of ours can handle an endless numbers of habitants can you? Remember, think that goldfish bowl again. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go out and buy one, and add one fish. Next week, add 10 more to the same bowl. After a week, tell me how many are swimming. If you need a scientist to figure it out, I'm sure you can go rent one, somewhere."

So we need a population cull then? Aye nae probs with that. Lets go all darwin and let the weak die out. After all it is what the fabian society who were very popular wanted.

As for your media comment i totally agree. Every media is bought and paid for by vested interests.

But what happened to the last ice age? What caused the big thaw? What caused the deserts we have heard about since we were bairns?

If someone can explain that in 'idiots guide' terms (as im no that bright) then i might listen. Otherwise they are putting a hole in the ozone layer with the shite they spout.

Vlad 'The Heretic' Dracul

Ps
You like your whisky walts. Just drunk a bottle of 13 year old craigellachie single malt over the last few days. Boss geezer. Simply boss
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 12:39:16 PM
I'd say climate change is indeed happening. Global warming accelerated by our activities. Been happening since the industrial revoloution.

Think about this half baked theory of mine. The very act of burning fossil fuels produces not just greenhouse gases but also.... Wait for it.... HEAT. That's right, the gases act as a insulating layer that helps to trap the heat that is also a by product of the combustion. Weird because I always hear about the greenhouse gases produced but never the amount of btu's that go along with it.

Heating our homes with natgas, Driving cars that burn petroleum, Manufacturing plastics, steel and many if not most of the goods that we use everyday all produce heat. And, of course greenhouse gases.

The amount of heat and gases produced now are most certainly more that we ever produced before industry , the electrical grid, and gas piping made heating and lighting our homes possible. Add an auto or 2 to each household and you're talking a large increase over time to both the gasses and HEAT added to our atmosphere.

Has the climate changed like this forever? I'd say probably so. The variable in the equation is in the past we weren't producing both the heat and greenhouse gases on the scale we do today. If climate runs in cycles then why could we not effect it through our actions? Look at our rivers and air 50 yrs. ago before all the industries left here for China. I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa. when the steel mills were still active in the early 60's. I remember the rivers and air were both orange colored and smelled like a broken sewer pipe..... Now, places in China look just like that and people need to wear respirators if they're outside for long.

I'd say whether global warming is real or not why shouldn't we strive for less pollution? If the global warming doesn't get us, breathing or drinking our own industrial by products eventually will. Keep in mind that this entire post is simply my opinion and as such may be adding to the volume of hot air.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/29/2015 12:40:53 PM
This chart is pretty sobering. . . .

http://assets.climatecentral.org/images/made/5_2_13_news_andrew_co2800000yrs_500_281_s_c1_c_c.jpg

And then, there's this: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/21/the-siege-of-miami

As for the history of the earth, I think humans are about at the end of their reign, and existence. Species that can't learn, cease. I'm more sorry for the polar bears who had nothing to do with it, and have nothing they could have done to change it.
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 12:52:34 PM
I know that climate naturally changes.

I know that we've been in a thawing stage since the end of the ice age stage.

I do not know if humans are causing any acceleration of this change we are going through, it's possible, but I do not know to what extent we are capable of making huge changes.

I do know that we could do more harm than good if we go off one way or the other, but it can't hurt to change some things. I do not know that using huge batteries in cars is better than using gas, etc. I think humans are prone to going off half-cocked when confronted with media blitzing.

Of course at some point humans will become extinct, we aren't really of any importance beyond our own need to procreate. We aren't special to the planet any more than other animals and most likely insects will outlive us as a species.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/29/2015 12:58:22 PM
Why is it that most climate deniers are republicans? Why is it that practically most people of other countries have no issue and accept that humans have altered climate? Why is it that most scientist in a whole range of fields all have arrived at the same conclusion about climate? Why is it that many of the studies and scientist denying climate change, you can find their funding connected to an institution that would hurt, or related to coal, fossil fuels companies?

I bet you most of the creationist are also climate change deniers.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 12:58:32 PM
Doremi
"Think about this half baked theory of mine. The very act of burning fossil fuels produces not just greenhouse gases but also.... Wait for it.... HEAT. That's right, the gases act as a insulating layer that helps to trap the heat that is also a by product of the combustion. Weird because I always hear about the greenhouse gases produced but never the amount of btu's that go along with it. "

Yep get what you are saying. But can you explain why there was an ice age before and why it vanished? I know anyone who does not follow the 'climate change' bible is a heretic in these pc times but why no answer to that question?

As for the 'deniers' slur thats great coming from intolerant illiberal liberals who spew hate constantly.

Those folk do not seem to realise that some folk just struggle to feed, put clothes and put food on the table for their families.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/29/2015 1:14:47 PM
You know, I think I can safely safe that we're all pretty sick of whole sack cloth and ashes bullshit you keep trying to put on here. We all have problems. We all struggle sometimes. We've all had jobs disappear and we've all struggled to keep a roof over our head and food on the table.

And yeah, you are a denier. Your position is exactly synonymous with Holocaust deniers. They have people with graduate degrees on their side too. They also claim that it's just a hoax that somehow puts money in the pockets of those on the other side. The only difference is that their are a lot more people dead because of global warming.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 1:30:12 PM
"You know, I think I can safely safe that we're all pretty sick of whole sack cloth and ashes bullshit you keep trying to put on here. We all have problems. We all struggle sometimes. We've all had jobs disappear and we've all struggled to keep a roof over our head and food on the table."

When did you speak for everyone who posts then? I could not give a donald duck what a privileged white middle class liberal thinks of me.

You, geezer are a classic white middle class daftie who hates those with opposing views. You are so far up your own arse you can tickle your tonsils.

Im a 'denier' eh? Fvckin stupid white middle class daftie insult. At least i respect the big yin and shouty joe. You though are a non entity. And thats saying something.

EXPLAIN WHY there was an ice age before and WHY we are still here. If im a 'denier' then your a daftie. Sorry geezer but your limp wristed liberal daftieness shines through.

Middle class white liberal fvcks with their massive houses and 4x4's lol

Run up my fvcking ribs dafties

Oh and ps
My sack cloth and ashes? Fvck you liberal twat. One day you will get what middle class white liberal fvcks deserve.

Pps feel free to run away and inform on me. Its what your kind do best.

Vvvv
Because putting food on the table is more important to me than a fvckin polar bear. Thats why.
And i dont give a toss about the rest of the world.
My view. Right or wrong it is what i think mate.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/29/2015 1:35:10 PM

Those folk do not seem to realise that some folk just struggle to feed, put clothes and put food on the table for their families.

What does that has to do with climate change? Ignorance? There are a lot of people around the world that can't even put food on their table that are being already affected by climate change.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 1:50:15 PM
#16 Vlad...I'd have to say I don't know why there was an ice age. And, why it vanished. Could just be part of the warming/cooling cycle we go through here on earth. Cycles have highs, lows and median levels I've heard.

I do think however that we are influencing the pattern of global climate by our polluting ways. Our contribution to greenhouse gases and heat in our atmosphere could very well be the straw that breaks the back of cyclical global climate patterns. Heck, even if we aren't a factor in climate change and our water, air and earth pollution have no effect on climate.... Even if we have nothing whatsoever to do with climate as far as what we spew into our air water and earth.... Why let it go on? Why pollute our world if we have the ability to slow or stop it in some cases?

It's something I've wondered myself as I spent my last 32 yrs. working in refineries, coal burning power generating facilities and manufacturing plants. In the last 30 or so years these facilities have cleaned up their acts quite a bit. I can see the difference between now and 30 to 40 yrs. ago. These industries didn't change because they are so big hearted... In large part it was the people who worked in and lived around these environments that brought a change. That, and advances in clean air/water technologies over the years.

When I see some of the weird weather extremes lately it seems something is going on with the weather. And, I'd like to talk more about it but it's unseasonably warm here in Northwest Ohio today and I think I am going to take a stroll through the park and enjoy it.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2015 2:08:23 PM
Doremi

Yep mate i think you might have a point. Yes we could be cutting down on emissions but the problem i have there is white middle class dafties and their 4x4's. Their houses. Their flying everywhere. Then WE the ordinary citizen get berated by them.

The question i asked is unanswerable because no one knows. Much the same as the position we are in today. I have been (laughably) called a 'denier' today. Absolutely no argument put up to show WHY i am a heretic.
Only that THEIR choice of media says so.

Again i ask WHY did the last ice age vanish and we are still around?

At least you tried to explain WHY i am wrong. Unlike the forum stasi dafties.

We had sunshine in Edinburgh today. Yes seasons have changed. But as far as i know weather has changed constantly over the millions of years (awaits smug liberal arsehole to supply link to wiki disputing that comment).

As for my comment about polar bears i take that back. I'd rather have polar bears than white middle class dafties.

And i take on board mate what you say as you have actually worked doing real work.
 Jo van
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/29/2015 2:46:24 PM

Lets go all darwin and let the weak die out. After all it is what the fabian society who were very popular wanted.

I've told you before, that was 100 years ago. People were working with very different information back then.
EG., Doctors had only just realised that sterilising their hands and instruments, between operations, was a good idea.

But what happened to the last ice age? What caused the big thaw? What caused the deserts we have heard about since we were bairns?

I'm no expert, but I think it was a combination of the wobble on the Earth, sunspot activity, the eliptical orbit, and some other stuff....
You could easily look it up.
Eg;

Possible causes
Scientists have tentatively identified these possible causes of the Little Ice Age: orbital cycles; decreased solar activity; increased volcanic activity; altered ocean current flows;[66] the inherent variability of global climate; and reforestation following decreases in the human population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

If someone can explain that in 'idiots guide' terms (as im no that bright) then i might listen.

There's plenty of information on line, just google "Idiot's guide to global warming".
If you spent less time reading yet another Breitbart story, of yet another interview, with yet another angry old lady they've found, in Denmark, or Syria, or Germany, or Poland, who thinks that "all immigrants are rapists", and more time actually reading boring facts, then you'd find it.

But I think you've already made your mind up that it's some sort of scientific "conspiracy" to make money/get grants, I've heard this "argument" before..
Except that it's never the scientists who are millionaires.... funny that....

For my part, I think one of the simplest ways of thinking about it, is that it takes about 50 million years for the carbon stored in 'fossil fuels' to get buried, but only about a year to burn all that off, and re-release all that carbon dioxide, suddenly, back into the atmosphere.
I can't remember the exact figures/ratios, but it's something of that order...

Yes, the Earth has natural cycles, and those cycles will continue, but now, the levels of CO2 are much higher than they should have been, and instead of cooling, as the 'natural cycles' would seem to predict, starting during the 'industrial revolution', -when the burning of fossil fuels started in earnest, and the ever-increasing scales we've been doing it since then, it's now getting warmer, instead.

That's why (I think?) they were predicting another ice-age, back in the 70s.
But like I said, I'm no expert,
that's why I read what those who are, write about it.
HTH
Please don't shout at me, I'm a delicate soul...
 gtomustang
Msg: 23
who wants to look ignorant of science?
Posted: 12/29/2015 3:05:16 PM
"Why is it that most climate deniers are republicans?"

>>>it messes with the whole Free Market stuff. If we wait until the End of Times to decide that we caused it, its a bit past too late to turn it all around. Hard to "vote with the dollar" at that point--there won't be food to put on the table. Free Market assumes low cost of information in order to vote with the dollar, and any time it takes a lot to know how to make an educated consumer, the Free Market falls apart. Plenty of examples of companies putting out a better product only b/c the government, not the consumer, brought them kicking and screaming to it. Detroit used to claim a family car could never beat 10mpg. Computers used to run on vacuum tubes until a space program demanded better. Lead paint was good enough.

That being said, natural gas, is replacing coal for the simple fact of cost. so sometimes its not gov't interference, its dollars and cents to do what makes sense. The only people in business who like change, are the ones ready to make a profit from it. Otherwise, make money with the status quo, which is predictable four years from now.

"Why is it that practically most people of other countries have no issue and accept that humans have altered climate? "

>>>perhaps b/c they aren't so invested in doing things the old way, to have to ignore what they see. I don't remember off the cuff what convinced Englishmen that "London Fog" was actually coal smoke and something should be done, but the Chinese seem to be in the same situation now.

"I bet you most of the creationists are also climate change deniers"

>>>i'll bet you win that bet--we are the stewards of Eden, how could we possibly pollute it? That would limit God's ability to create a perfect planet. Rush Limbaugh was making that claim decades ago, its not a new dodge. of course, what science has creationists really loved?

if clouds of volcanic smoke actually did change the weather way back when, then obviously putting up another cloud of smoke leads to issues. Your washing machine works in cycles too, but if you load up the basket wrong...what happens? you get a bad reaction.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/29/2015 3:23:36 PM
IG, save your breath. I brought up Bangladesh a while back, as the place with the most population, most vulnerable to floods/tides/rising seas, and was pretty much given the royal raspberry by the know nothings.

Vlad, the workings of climatology and the geophysical are easily accessible via the internets--if you don't already know, it's because you don't care to. But your lack of knowing is not a good weapon to hurl at those who've done their homework.

As for what we care about--I'd take a polar bear over a good single malt scotch any day of the week. Polar bears are gorgeous, funny, and only kill to eat, and eat what they kill. Thing is, no one really cared about the lives of the canaries in the coal mines. But they WERE wise enough to get the hell out if a canary kicked it. Even the ignorant and uneducated coalminers were sharp enough to *get it.*
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/29/2015 7:22:14 PM
#21 (vlad)

Again i ask WHY did the last ice age vanish and we are still around?

If you can manage to put down the "booze" for a few short days; you may wanna do some reading on how the earth's elliptical orbit/axis wobble/natural carbon emissions has affected climate (variably) for eons.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/cause-ice-age.html

The issue now is if mankind has had an impact on climate change; by way of increasing carbon emissions over the last 2 centuries (by way of diffuse deforestation; massive burning of fossil fuels) to the extent that we have created a subtle "green house" effect. The body of physical evidence for this phenomenon speaks for itself; unless you are somebody who confuses facts for fiction; and fiction for facts.

Green house effects can happen naturally and artificially!
Natural causes come from massive volcanic eruptions; large asteroid striking the earth; as you can imagine, natural causes are impossible to prevent!

Artificial causes result from unchecked burning of fossil fuels as outlined above; and this is completely preventable!

Is this clear & simple enough for ya, mate ????
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Why is it that most climate deniers are republicans?

Well, the shrewd ones deny it because big-business have filled their pockets with enough money to buy them off.
The stupid ones deny it for the same reason they believe the earth was created 5000 yrs ago!

Why is it that practically most people of other countries have no issue and accept that humans have altered climate?

These are probably countries in which the gov't has placed emphasis on educating their citizens, so they can learn how to discern the truth.

Why is it that most scientist in a whole range of fields all have arrived at the same conclusion about climate?

Because if they all use scientific methods properly; they should all arrive at the same conclusion.

Why is it that many of the studies and scientist denying climate change, you can find their funding connected to an institution that would hurt, or related to coal, fossil fuels companies?

The same reason why some pple would sell their own mothers, if the price is right!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do you believe or not believe that Climate change is taking place