Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > stealing debit card      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 19nevertoolate62
Msg: 1
stealing debit cardPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I thought I met a nice man that was going to help me out I let him use my debit card to make a one time purchase for livestock feed which he did returned the card but later stole it from me and cleaned out my bank account within a few days I contacted my bank and the police and it is not a criminal matterso I will have to take him to court. His profile name is justfun1961 so if you or someone yu know decides to have a relationship with him please be careful :modhammer:
 yougotmeakitten
Msg: 2
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 6:59:25 PM
perfecta, Sorry to hear this happened to you. Just be aware it is against forum rules to "name and shame" on here so don't be surprised if your thread is deleted.

I don't know how it is NOT a police matter. He had permission to use it once. Returned it. Then stole it and used without authorization. Insist on filing a report and to talk to the PA's office. You might also want to report him to admin here on POF when you have documentation.

Good luck.

LePew
 cookymaker
Msg: 3
view profile
History
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 7:40:07 PM
I had someone steal my card a few years back. I contacted the bank who immediately froze the account. They told me to report it to the police and after I did that, they replaced my funds and the bank pressed charges. It's a combo of identify theft and fraud

I am sorry this happened to you.
 19nevertoolate62
Msg: 4
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 8:20:29 PM
I made a police report but they are insisting it is a civil matter my bank has been notified and dropped the ball so my account was vulnerable for 4 days while he cleaned me out. This is far from over and I will seek justice
 19nevertoolate62
Msg: 5
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 8:22:14 PM
good for you hope i have the sme outcome
 bamagrl68
Msg: 6
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 8:35:03 PM
perfecta1990- Your problem with the police is that you have him permission to use your card.
I realize you didn't give him permission to clean you out, but you willingly gave him access and your information.
I did not have this happen from dating.
My sister is a drug addict and did this to me, so that's how I know.
Please learn from this.
NEVER give someone you are dating money or access to your financial information.
Your best bet is to pursue him in small claims court, you can sue him there for up to 5,000. I'm not going to lie to you, your odds aren't good, this could very well turn into a case of he said, she said, so prepare yourself for that.
I hope things go better next time.
 19nevertoolate62
Msg: 7
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 8:43:43 PM
you are absolutely right according to the police lesson learned i thought by now I would no better about such things my son put it to me like this so if you consent to have sex with a man once he can turn around and rape you in the future for as long as he wants
 cookymaker
Msg: 8
view profile
History
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 8:50:20 PM
in my situation, I didn't give permission. She was watching me use my pin number then stole the card.. It was my stepdaughter and she too had a drug problem
Another habit I now do... whenever possible, I use my debit card as a credit card so that I don't need the pin #

Years ago, I lent someone I was dating $200 which he didn't pay back. We broke up. But God has a sense of humor and justice. I had gotten my tax refund - the IRS enclosed a letter saying I miscalculated and gave me $200 MORE than I had figured. I ran into the x boyfriend. He was fussing how he got his taxes return. The IRS sent him a letter saying he miscalculated and his refund was$200 LESS

Sometimes there is justice when you are taken advantage of and it shows up when you least expect it

I wish you luck with this
 kandykane111
Msg: 9
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/10/2016 8:59:08 PM
Um - "...my son put it to me like this so if you consent to have sex with a man once he can turn around and rape you in the future for as long as he wants."

NO. That is not true, not by a long shot. Rape is a crime. I'd maybe have someone smart talk to your son about right/wrong and the law. Stealing your debit card is a crime. Giving this guy your debit card to begin with was a huge mistake in your part and YOU are to blame for that. What he did after, taking your card and your money, was a crime.
 StarClassic
Msg: 10
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 5:13:12 AM

my bank has been notified and dropped the ball so my account was vulnerable for 4 days while he cleaned me out.

Am I reading this correctly? You notified your bank of the theft Prior to his raid on your account?
Do you have Any documentation showing the Date and Time that you reported this to your bank?

Any losses incurred After reporting the theft to your bank are Their responsibility, not yours.
If they, the bank, are trying to claim otherwise it's time for you to find a better bank and file a formal complaint against them.
 Maleman999
Msg: 11
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 5:48:06 AM

... my son put it to me like this so if you consent to have sex with a man once he can turn around and rape you in the future for as long as he wants

Not exactly what I would consider a typical, normal mother/son conversation. It makes me wonder if he feels that way if/when he gets in a relationship. It's as weird as lending someone you barely know your debit card and pin number. Why didn't you offer to go to the place where he's making the purchase and pay for it without giving him the banking information?
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 12
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 6:13:25 AM
None of this story makes sense.

Nobody gives a debit card and Pin Code to a friend to use at will...if you wanted to help him, why not just pull out the cash.
And if a guy can't feed his animals, clearly he can't take you out...so what's the point.
 kandykane111
Msg: 13
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 8:09:59 AM
§1693g. Consumer liability

(a) Unauthorized electronic fund transfers; limit

A consumer shall be liable for any unauthorized electronic fund transfer involving the account of such consumer only if the card or other means of access utilized for such transfer was an accepted card or other meanas 1 of access and if the issuer of such card, code, or other means of access has provided a means whereby the user of such card, code, or other means of access can be identified as the person authorized to use it, such as by signature, photograph, or fingerprint or by electronic or mechanical confirmation. In no event, however, shall a consumer's liability for an unauthorized transfer exceed the lesser of—

(1) $50; or

(2) the amount of money or value of property or services obtained in such unauthorized electronic fund transfer prior to the time the financial institution is notified of, or otherwise becomes aware of, circumstances which lead to the reasonable belief that an unauthorized electronic fund transfer involving the consumer's account has been or may be effected. Notice under this paragraph is sufficient when such steps have been taken as may be reasonably required in the ordinary course of business to provide the financial institution with the pertinent information, whether or not any particular officer, employee, or agent of the financial institution does in fact receive such information.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, reimbursement need not be made to the consumer for losses the financial institution establishes would not have occurred but for the failure of the consumer to report within sixty days of transmittal of the statement (or in extenuating circumstances such as extended travel or hospitalization, within a reasonable time under the circumstances) any unauthorized electronic fund transfer or account error which appears on the periodic statement provided to the consumer under section 1693d of this title. In addition, reimbursement need not be made to the consumer for losses which the financial institution establishes would not have occurred but for the failure of the consumer to report any loss or theft of a card or other means of access within two business days after the consumer learns of the loss or theft (or in extenuating circumstances such as extended travel or hospitalization, within a longer period which is reasonable under the circumstances), but the consumer's liability under this subsection in any such case may not exceed a total of $500, or the amount of unauthorized electronic fund transfers which occur following the close of two business days (or such longer period) after the consumer learns of the loss or theft but prior to notice to the financial institution under this subsection, whichever is less.

(b) Burden of proof

In any action which involves a consumer's liability for an unauthorized electronic fund transfer, the burden of proof is upon the financial institution to show that the electronic fund transfer was authorized or, if the electronic fund transfer was unauthorized, then the burden of proof is upon the financial institution to establish that the conditions of liability set forth in subsection (a) have been met, and, if the transfer was initiated after the effective date of section 1693c of this title, that the disclosures required to be made to the consumer under section 1693c(a)(1) and (2) of this title were in fact made in accordance with such section.

(c) Determination of limitation on liability

In the event of a transaction which involves both an unauthorized electronic fund transfer and an extension of credit as defined in section 1602(e) 2 of this title pursuant to an agreement between the consumer and the financial institution to extend such credit to the consumer in the event the consumer's account is overdrawn, the limitation on the consumer's liability for such transaction shall be determined solely in accordance with this section.

(d) Restriction on liability

Nothing in this section imposes liability upon a consumer for an unauthorized electronic fund transfer in excess of his liability for such a transfer under other applicable law or under any agreement with the consumer's financial institution.

Someone wanted this info forwarded to the lady posting.
 gtomustang
Msg: 14
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 10:02:11 AM
i'm sure someone can email this to justfun, and we can see if there's another side to this story....or scare him away if not.

sorry to hear you went thru this, OP, but as someone pointed out, next time just hand over the cash. Hopefully others will learn from this.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 15
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 1:57:29 PM

I thought I met a nice man that was going to help me out I let him use my debit card..

You thought HE would help YOU so you gave him your card??

….to make a one time purchase for livestock feed which he did returned the card but later stole it from me and cleaned out my bank account within a few days I contacted my bank and the police and it is not a criminal matterso I will have to take him to court. His profile name is xxxxx so if you or someone yu know decides to have a relationship with him please be careful :modhammer:

First he wouldn’t have to “steal” your card from you for him to use it again. All anyone needs is your numbers. So don’t go giving out your social security number to the next guy you want to help you out of your bank account. :/

However. Your story doesn’t make sense.

Your bank wouldn’t freeze your account, and the police won’t do anything. So he went through your account FOR DAYS with nobody doing anything. How did you sleep, knowing he was draining your bank account?? Why didn’t you just close out your account as soon as you realized he was helping himself to it, and find a bank who pays attention to you when you tell them your card has been stolen, instead of…. whatever you were doing FOR DAYS while he cleaned you out.

Oh but wait…..his username is so and so…don’t date him!

I would think you’d have more important things to worry about than posting a “warning” on here. After all, you are now destitute because of him. :/

What did he really do that compelled you to post this thread??

my son put it to me like this so if you consent to have sex with a man once he can turn around and rape you in the future for as long as he wants

Yep….you are FOS.
 19nevertoolate62
Msg: 16
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 2:17:47 PM
I will try to answer all your concerns in this one message. First off my son was making a comparison about rape and consensual sex with what occured with my debit account. Apparently according to the police if I give permission and acess to my account one time it is forever permission to keep doing so. Michigan state trooper Bruie insisted that was a fact. The reason allowed him to have the pin was because I had bronchitis and had some other health issues that I was down with, the feed was for my horses, and I knew there would be farmers dropping hay for the next day auction which I had no way of being able to attend. Just fun is a city boy and not familiar with the process I sent my son with him to negotiate. If I had been able to go I would have done it myself which I have done plenty of times. In hindsight I should have given the card and pin number to him ( my son who is a minor and cant drive) instead but that may have not mattered much anyway. I have alot better things to do than sit here and make this shit up. Yes I was a fool to trust Just fun. I will post what the outcome is from the bank, I realize now part of it I will have to eat but the bank screwed up when they neglected to close the account the same day I requested it. in person at my branch. I put this out there to possibly deter someone from making the same mistake. Take the info as u wish

For the cynical people that have no clue I am sorry if I did not write a road map for you to follow. Another lesson learned some people are just really bored and angry go ahead and tear me apart,I am a big girl and can handle it.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 17
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 2:38:17 PM
Nobody is tearing you apart...but you gotta admit it was foolish to handle you finances that way...and you didn't say the guy was doing you a favor in the beginning...though it doesn't matter.
Getting upset with the comments, is a fools errand...

Good luck in your recovery....
 19nevertoolate62
Msg: 18
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 3:46:02 PM
Sunshine girl seems to think I am fos and what I said makes no sense i would say that is an attack on my character and motive that is fine another lesson learned dont bother with the forums people only get what they want to get. Nonetheless I said I will share the outcome and will
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 19
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 4:19:03 PM
Don't let it get to you. She does that to anyone who shares a personal story here. You've joined distinguished company.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 20
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 4:24:33 PM
^^^^ WTF? Why don’t you go back to trolling the Off Topic forums with this passive aggressive crap? You sing a different tune in private nessages.

His profile name is XXXXX

This is called name and shame and is against the forum rules.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 21
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 4:32:41 PM
A true ray of sunshine
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 22
view profile
History
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 5:04:49 PM
How was he able to steal your debit card and use the pin number? You let him use it and gave him the password?? You are after all 53, not a kid. Lucky it was not a credit card where he could have racked up much more money.

Naming and shaming is not allowed. There would not be another woman so happy to hand over her financial details as you have been, I would suggest.You were incredibly foolish in your actions and hopefully have learned a lesson. I can understand you maybe withdrawing money and giving it to him but to let him have your card details??? wow!!!!

. Taking him to court will be a waste of money as you voluntarily give him the card and pin number at some point. He may say you authorised it all. I don't like your chances really as it can be "he said, she said" for sure.

flaneur001
Msg: 23
view profile
History
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 9:12:02 PM
OP: I'm sorry that you've had such a harsh wake-up call. You seem like a very kind and trusting person. I'm sure being sick and feeling the obligation to feed your animals contributed to your lapse of judgement. Clearly you've learned a very difficult lesson here.

I understand that you have had a challenging time on the forum. Your not the first, nor will you be the last. The forum, can be very helpful....I would encourage you to read some of the past threads, they can be very helpful.

I would also encourage you to look at your profile pics very carefully, it's considered a norm to NOT have pics of children or grandchildren (another possible vulnerability).

Are you new to dating? If so, I would suggest you find a few experienced friends that you can confide in and run through any new dating curveballs as they arise. Friends can be very helpful when you're charting new territory.

Good Luck!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 24
view profile
History
stealing debit card
Posted: 1/11/2016 11:12:10 PM
I agree that you need to get rid of any shots that are not just of you. You have a pretty face and that is all you should be showing at this stage. Not a car, or grandchildren or your animals or your home. You have to be very careful what you put into cyberspace. You don't let anyone know where you live, your full name until you feel you can trust the person.
To be naïve at 53 is just foolish. You have a family to consider in all this. I also agree that the comment your son made about rape was highly inappropriate.
 FooledBySociety
Msg: 25
Stupid is as stupid does
Posted: 1/12/2016 9:11:32 PM
I'm with blackonyx48

No one is this stupid

At least the normal can avoid stupid
Unfortunately the criminal minded will date her
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > stealing debit card