Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does "Wants to date but nothing serious" mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Haulroad
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What does "Wants to date but nothing serious" mean?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Does it mean she wants to have sex but not a serious committed relationship? Or does it mean she wants neither?

Similarly, what does, "Casual dating / no commitment" mean? Does "casual dating" mean sex? Or no sex?

Is there some kind of code here, some set of generally understood meanings?
 NJgirl116
Msg: 2
What does Wants to date but nothing serious mean?
Posted: 1/24/2016 11:43:11 PM
No straight answer. For some it's code for nsa sex, not for others.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2016 11:49:28 PM
not usually a code for women who want to have casual sex. They can get that anywhere and don't have to come on here. It is just that people are hedging their bets and not looking to get married any time soon or they, usually men, want a casual affair. Who knows?? All that can change when people actually meet. I do know that putting that on a profile severely limits contacts.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/25/2016 3:24:05 AM
It would indicate that somebody isn't interested in anything serious -- at that moment or long term. Ask them?

Long term hopefuls generally put long term, but may want to be friends first and date casually. Some who have this also cross over to casual relationships until they arrive to the person whom they want for long term. This is dating.

"Casual dating / no commitment" hopefuls tend to banter. Some are interesting people (Futurists). Would I go out with them? No. Would I have interesting discourse regarding politics and that which impact dating? Yes. And I have. There seems no pretense in their approach; and without expectations, they tend to see things quite clearly and lucidly. Others just want to hump and dump -- and others shag the bones of each other and fall in love.

These are just parameters on a website. Everything else in between is up to you.
 Maleman999
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/25/2016 5:01:07 AM
Does it have anything to do with profiles where they say "Must make me laugh"?
 carolann0308
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 6:12:56 AM
If I told a man that, it would mean that I am not at a place in my life where I wanted a full time relationship. Going out movies, restaurants etc would be fine and definitely I would expect to pay my own way. Sex would be a no, if I was dating multiple people.
 gtomustang
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/25/2016 6:59:08 AM
it means they want to have fun, and not be burdened. They don't need to show off to their friends that they have changed from "Single" to "committed". What is really meant by "having fun" depends on the person, so to assume there is an accepted definition, can put both people into a confusing situation. Best to go out on a first date, and ask for clarity.

if you can't get it...then that is a form of answer.
 Hearton64
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/25/2016 7:08:22 AM
It has different meaning for everyone.
Never assume anything with OLD.
All you can do is ask.

Is there still an "intimate encounters" category?
I recall that being a problem once you contacted
someone you couldn't contact anyone to just date.

Maybe it would be less confusing if people's
intents were truthful to start with,but 3 options
might be enough.

Long term commitment LTR
Short term casual dating STR (with or without sex)
Casual sex NSA
 Maleman999
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/25/2016 8:39:29 AM
"It has different meaning for everyone."

That pretty much sums it up. It could mean "Nothing serious, unless there is instant chemistry and he/she might be The One", or it could mean "I've been emotionally scarred for life by bad relationships, so I will never get so deeply involved, but still like dating and having my itch scratched." Or anything in between.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 9:12:20 AM
VERY good coverage of this subject by Lasthookbringsme.

I would only add one thing, which applies to all the odd little designations this sites original owner programmed in to the profile process. That is, whenever you want to get an idea about the selection someone made, be sure to go back into the profile editing system, and look at the OTHER choices they could have made.

In the case of the "Wants to date but nothing serious" section, the choices one could take are

* I'm looking for casual dating/no commitment.
* I want to date but nothing serious.
* I want a relationship.
* I'm putting serious effort into finding someone.
* I am serious and want to find someone to marry.

Now, none of those choices are explained in any way. Many of us who were here when they were created, complained at the time, that they make little sense, and that some appear to be rephrasing of others, and all in all, that none of them really reflect what we would like to say.

But we're required to select one, so we do.

Mine happens to be "I want a relationship." But what does THAT mean? After all, I already have numerous "relationships." With my local dry cleaner, with my boss at work, with my neighbors. None of these are sexual or romantic, but they are all "relationships."

And what's the difference between the fourth and fifth? Marriage? No, because again, someone might be "putting a serious effort into finding someone" to shackle to their basement wall. or to clean their house. Or to have as an asexual companion for adventures and travel.

Anyway, what someone chooses has a LITTLE to do with what that positively want, but it also has to do with what messages they DON'T want to send as well.
 Hearton64
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/25/2016 11:29:07 AM
A few posts all day?

This forum feels dead now.

What a shame.

So is the new one plenty of frogs.

Thanks a lot to those who ruined it with mass deletions.
 daynadaze
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:09:20 PM
It means what it says, that a person wants to date, you know, meet people, go out with them, see if they like them enough to date them some more. That would be as opposed to those who are looking for dates that they hope will lead to something more serious. Whether or not they are also wanting to have sex is their choice, this is not a code of some mysterious way for people to get laid while pretending they don't want to... Some people are on dating sites with a goal in mind, some others are just looking to date, there's no right or wrong or secret code to any of it.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:17:17 PM

Thanks a lot to those who ruined it with mass deletions.

Ravishing photo. Good to see you again.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:19:59 PM

it means they want to have fun, and not be burdened. They don't need to show off to their friends that they have changed from "Single" to "committed". What is really meant by "having fun" depends on the person, so to assume there is an accepted definition, can put both people into a confusing situation. Best to go out on a first date, and ask for clarity.

if you can't get it...then that is a form of answer.

100%.

For me, it means that I'm not going to jump into a relationship from the get go, and am not interested in one at the time. I'm fine with going out and meeting up with people and do dinner, movies, activities, etc, but not with the sole intent of having it turn into a relationship.

In short, I am interested in going out, and that's it.
 Hearton64
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/25/2016 2:48:47 PM

it means I dont want nothing long term and
testing the waters it can mean nsa but it not mean that

Huh?

So you want something long term and it could be
Sexual or not and it could be just testing the waters?

Case in point.
Intent can be very confusing on both sides.

Knowing what you want is key.
Contradicting desires can lead to disappointment in others.

I only ever had the intent of finding a LTR without a marriage contract
and sought the same
when I joined here as I'm not into wasting my time or sleeping around.
Not to mention, I hadn't dated in decades, but found out quickly POF seemed
to be a pick up joint for horny men to shoot fish in a barrel no
matter what they claimed their intent was.loved those married men
trying to get laid! They were fun to tell to go ask their wives first.

Bottom line?

99% just wanted to get laid.
At least in my experience.

My number would have skyrocketed had I accepted
all the dyck I was being offered. Lol

Flattering?

Not really.

Thanks IG.
I was 24 in that pic.
Figured why not use it.
My profile is hidden so no harm no foul.
Not sure how or why I was booted or how or why
I could return but I'm here for now.
Missed it but doubt I'll be staying long as someone has it out for me
and many many others it seems.
 gtomustang
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/25/2016 5:39:07 PM
i'm trying to think what actress the photo reminds me of. Not to blow smoke up your heiney, but either Katherine Hepburn (maybe its the black and white) or early Kim Basinger. I'm sure someone will figure it out for me.
 DownWsickness
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/25/2016 6:05:32 PM
Well I have wants to date, but nothing serious because the other choices weren't just for me. I am not actively seeking a relationship, not looking to get married, and I don't want anything casual. I hope this helps!
 Hearton64
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/26/2016 1:27:50 AM
Haha...

No marriage,nothing serious,not actively seeking a relationship
Nothing casual, but wants to date.

What else is there?

I'm a female and that confused me.
I can't imagine how a man would decipher that.

Kim Basinger?

My guy said Judy Garland! Lol

I don't see it!
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/26/2016 5:32:10 AM
Honestly, I feel this....POF, force you to decide what kind of relationship you're seeking, not taking into consideration that some people here are in more of a rush then others and act like it....
 maybeebaybee1
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/26/2016 8:55:36 AM
My take -- the guy wants to hang out at my house (probably because it's cleaner and I've more than likely got food), he doesn't have to spend any money, culminating in NSA sex. Just from my personal experience.

When I think "casual dating" I want to go out and do things as a couple to get to know the other person. Sex is off the table at this point til we decide we even like each other.
 Maleman999
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/26/2016 9:37:20 AM
"Wants to do date but nothing serious" on a profile means absolutely nothing because of the stereotype that people have ingrained in their brains. Women think if a guy has it, it means a guy wants sex and nothing more. But a woman who has it on her profile means she's being cautious and taking her time to know someone. The typical "man bad, woman good" mantra that is paraded around with a pinch of bitterness. Whereas men are more open minded when they see the phrase. Men think it could mean someone looking for a quickie, or someone wanting to take their time getting to know someone, someone who is looking to date, but not looking for immediate marriage, or anything in between.
 south_city
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/27/2016 8:54:00 PM
If you are interested in someone with that disclaimer, it's probably best to ask that particular person what they are looking for. Since it can mean different things for different people.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2016 11:28:17 PM
oh yes, and the " I love to laugh" comments that are so cliché. Along with "my friends say I look younger than my age."
 jaja808
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/27/2016 11:28:49 PM
I have wants to date but nothing serious on my profile. It means that I'm not over my ex yet so prepare to hear me talk about him and that I'm not really ready to date because I feel fat this week and I'm unemployed.
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2016 12:25:36 AM
For me it means maybe we won't necessarily speak everyday, yet we do really like each other lots.
Marriage is not something that is essential to me. If someone really, really, really clicked...maybe.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does "Wants to date but nothing serious" mean?