Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > YAPR (yet another profile review)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 1
view profile
History
YAPR (yet another profile review)Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hey - just discovered the forums. Very cool. I know my about me is...lacking. I am not convinced that really matters much, but anyway I would appreciate honest comments on the rest of my profile. From the female eye preferably but any third party is welcome. Thanks much!
 Chromis1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
YAPR (yet another profile review)
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:25:39 PM
Won't speak to the rest of your profile but, one math guy to another, love your username.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:43:04 PM
I would advise you to remove the "over 18" age "restriction".

It is not really a restriction to start with, as you have no upper limit.

The ladies can be VERY fickle here, and disregard you for the tiniest of things, don't give them a chance to do that with a silly age restriction that is meaningless anyway.

Best wishes

OFMM

PS Yes, the content of your profile does matter to many if not most woman.
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:45:49 PM
Where do you see this age restriction? I can't see it on my profile or in 'Edit Profile' area.
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:53:07 PM
Ah I found it - interesting you have to goto the website to find that. I use the app. Thanks for catching it, 18 is a little low for me and prob sends a bad message to my age group haha
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:56:40 PM
Apparently you found it, because it now says I think it was 23 to 35.

Men do not need age restrictions, we do not get enough mail that it makes much difference. The ladies need them because they have so much mail to sort through.

My advice is to have no restrictions, just decide on a case by case basis when you receive a note, it won't be more than a few a day as a rule.
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 1:05:03 PM
Understood... on the other hand, I think I'd prefer a restriction to create an illusion of scarcity and exclusivity. You gotta qualify to get some of what I'm selling. Better than saying must be over 18 and have a pulse. Thanks for catching that!
 ndm147
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/25/2016 1:07:32 PM
Your profile ( I assume you changed it ) has an age restriction of 23-35 now.

I think your profile is fun. The pictures are nice. But the About Me sounds a bit flippant. Show a more serious side to balance all the humor and humorous pictures.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/25/2016 1:11:47 PM

You gotta qualify to get some of what I'm selling. Better than saying must be over 18 and have a pulse. Thanks for catching that!

That is certainly another way of looking at it, and not necessarily wrong minded, just keep in mind it can work the other way in some cases with some woman.

You're very welcome.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Ouija2025
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/25/2016 1:20:55 PM
I like seeing a first name
Who are you featuring in the pix - fam? Do they know they are on here?
The Santa one better for FB
Any mail restrictions stop her from contacting you - so a week shy of your range well then, nada.
You've been on POF awhile - has this profile worked for you?
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 2:40:50 PM
I've been registered a while but have used it sporadically in that time. I have had a few dates and other encounters but I have not attracted the type of woman I am looking for something serious with!

On the shirtless pic - I figured it is funny and not a selfie (it's actually from the local news blog) so it does not look too bad -it isn't gratuitous in I other words - but should I take it down simply because shirtless?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/25/2016 3:04:14 PM
Oh I have many reasons :/ But high among them would be it's a goofy picture - yet you say here you are looking for something serious. Only serious pix is with the fam.
Are you making up words ala Burgess? I have read basicness before :/
I'd change the personality from Rockstar. Makes that read like a party boy. I can party like one, just takes me a month now to recover. Guess I'm more a sockstar
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 3:10:30 PM
Yes, it is a goofy picture. Don't women like humor? Should I put all stone serious pics up to get a serious partner? I didn't mean I'm looking for a partner who is always serious and with whom I would eat dinner in silent contemplation each night. I meant a long term relationship, but the person should have a sense of humor. I may be wrong and I appreciate your feedback, but honestly I think what it comes down to is in the case of this particular pic, if a person would write me off because of it then I am not interested anyway. :)

I don't know who Burgess is, but 'basicness' and being basic has entered the lexicon lately. I don't disapprove.
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 3:12:33 PM
And you are right that on balance I am weighted heavily toward goofy pics. That's a problem, I don't have other serious ones. I'm usually avoiding the camera, so your general point is taken that I need some more of the other type :)

Personality edited. I am now a 'Maker'. I also liked "Brogrammer", "Techie" and "Geek". "Professional " is probably more accurate but sounds too square to me - would not date myself.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/25/2016 3:33:17 PM
Clockwork Orange - he made up new words
No, not stone cold serious but prolly you can do better than the Santa one you want to convey your " goofiness"
I like Techie.
Carry on, I most go plan world domination yet again.
 DownWsickness
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/25/2016 4:38:21 PM
Hi, you are really cute! great pictures consider cropping out people from pictures let yourself be the focus. From your profile you seem rather goofy, and fun! consider adding more information about you like are you family oriented? what are you looking for? etc etc.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/25/2016 5:23:42 PM

Don't women like humor?

They certainly used to back in the glory days of online dating sites (pre-2009).
They soaked it up like a sponge.

Not so sure anymore.
 ndm147
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/25/2016 5:40:50 PM
What happened to women liking humor?! If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets.
 Forums_only
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/25/2016 7:32:39 PM
I was with you until the rock lyrics. At 29, looking for something 'serious', you need to bring it.
The illusion of scarcity/exclusivity is cute. In a pat-him-on-the-head-and-move-on kinda way. Unless you are truly overwhelmed with incoming messages, then sure, put up restrictions.

I also smiled at the username/headline - well done.

I'll watch for the rewrite.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/25/2016 7:40:45 PM
Op you're freaking hot! My type. Some lucky girl will meet you... Good luck.
 tennistown
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/25/2016 8:54:51 PM

Posted By: Loveactuarially
Understood... on the other hand, I think I'd prefer a restriction to create an illusion of scarcity and exclusivity.

Restrictions only reduce the mail
you might receive. It's not an illusion.
You will definitely get less messages.

Once you actually have two messages
that you might receive in the same week,
simply delete one of them. Just do it.

"That" will show those women
about scarcity and exclusivity.

I suggest that YOU pick who gets the boot,
rather than letting the PoF mail restrictions
do that task for you.

Relinquish all your message filter restrictions!

Well I wish
I was a catfish . . . .

"The word or term "Catfish"
is not helping you
on a dating site.

Got something else?
Good luck!
 LoveActuarially
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2016 9:55:42 PM
I meant create an illusion of exclusivity for the people I want to get messages from, in case you missed my meaning. So that they are more likely to message me. I also don't care to receive messages from 18 year olds at 29 anyway.
 tennistown
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/25/2016 11:24:48 PM

I meant create an illusion of exclusivity for the people I want to get messages from, in case you missed my meaning. So that they are more likely to message me.

Yeah, right.

Well, if that's what you are going for, the illusion.
Why not really pour on some more restrictions!
Fill that section up! The more the merrier.
Make your "Mail Settings" darn near impossible
to make contact with you! YOLO! Do it!

If your assumption is correct,
the more mail restrictions you have
the more "illusion of exclusivity" you will have going for you!

That should drive the "people you want messages from", wild to contact you!

So, bump up those restrictions, even more, and prepare for an avalanche
of mail coming your way! Great idea! keep us posted on how that works
out for you. Good news travels fast. Your "inbox" should be full, by morning!
You don't need luck, when your critical thinking skills operate on such a high level.
Killa!
 NJgirl116
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/26/2016 1:41:32 AM
Illusion of scarcity haha. Missed that.
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2016 1:46:42 AM
Your username is very clever. It made me smile.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > YAPR (yet another profile review)