Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Plastic bags - charity?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 1
Plastic bags - charity?Page 1 of 1    
A friend of mine works for a (very) large grocery store group.
Quite rightly, they follow the Law and charge 5p for bags.
Recently it has emerged that customers have got so good
at bringing their own bags in with them, that all the 'bag' money
collected will be swallowed up by Admin costs, and nothing is
left for charity.....now that's a surprise.........
Comments? Suggestions?
(It's not Tesco, btw, before the obvious remarks are made, although
for all I know, the same situation may 'exist' in all the majors)

Justanotherchap
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/26/2016 9:03:33 AM
Totally pointless. Trying to save the world by charging 5p for a plastic carrier bag won't achieve anything worth a damn. Or at least not while the super rich can squander the worlds resources. Last month one of the Quatari Royal broke a leg whilst on holiday in Morocco so thy packed him off to Switzerland in his own airbus to be treated. Obviously not enough room on board for all his shoes and family which needed a further 8 jets to take them too.

Don't worry too much about them losing out a little in admin, it's all offset against the tax they don't bother to pay.
 KitKat_K
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/27/2016 3:21:15 AM
I think it's ridiculous. You have to pay for your shopping and then you have to pay to carry it out of the supermarket unless you remember to bring your own bags. How does the 5p per bag thing work for home delivery?
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 4
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/27/2016 4:36:28 AM
'er wot works for me (& knows this stuff)
says that home delivery kit comes in crates
which you unload on delivery...
(raw veg in bags are exempt)
so now we know......

KitKat_K
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/27/2016 5:55:12 AM
They are delivered in crates but if I recall, they are carried to your door in bags. At least this was the case last time I got a home delivery.
 TucsonPug
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/27/2016 7:31:21 AM
Tesco's charge 40p in total for home delivery in bags no matter how many bags you have but they are the thin cheap ones we used to get at the checkout not the thicker larger ones they now charge 5p for.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 7
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/27/2016 9:30:42 AM
If what I heard the other day is correct,
it's just as well that the 'charity' bit
is incidental (or, probably, not happening).

jaja808
Msg: 8
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/27/2016 9:48:15 AM
Plastic bags are not recyclable along with a lot of other plastics. It can only be reused so many times and then it has to go somewhere.
 TucsonPug
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/27/2016 10:17:15 AM
I recycle mine I use them as poo bags and as my dogs are raw fed when I take delivery of about 50kgs of raw meat it's divided into a days worth for the 4 of them and bunged in the freezer till needed, after that the bags are fit for nothing.
 TucsonPug
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/30/2016 3:01:13 AM
It's recycling, maybe not as you know it lol but it's recycling. Why buy bags specifically to fill up with the dogs food and bung in the freezer when you can use freebies, the ones you buy are obviously longer lasting before they start to degrade but if not reused is that a good thing?
I now resort to buying nappy sacks for picking up the dog poo and small bin liners for freezing their food, not sure it's better for the planet but I have to use something.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 11
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/30/2016 5:31:42 AM
My supermarket bags were always recycled for general waste.
I'm gently running out and resorting to spare old shop stock.
When they've gone I shall look for a bulk price on 'vest'
style carrier bags - Fleabay beckons......

billybonds
Msg: 12
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/30/2016 2:59:18 PM
I must really speak up in praise of the orange sainsbury bag, the quality of which literally does carry all before it. Only my accountant, on seeing me entering his fine office with one, has shown any negativity. A negativity I was easily able to bat away as I set out breezily to show him that the pieces of paper in the bag were actually all a part of a macro Structure, that despite all appearances, I had a handle on.

As for the dog bags, I do use them. Smaller but still orange, I use them primarily at the moment ...to envelop my mini iPad, the latest tome, I'm reading. My face cloth and hairbrush, so if I need to I can fix me. All these dog bags, inside a black rucksack, leaves me well placed to access stuff quickly at a rate that makes me look dynamic.

Marks and Spencer's are the big losers for me. This is a squalid company who would rather sell the Crown Jewels than surrender a deeply unsatisfactory plastic bag to me. A far too predictable part of my life is now spent assuring the lady staff patiently of my full and honourable intention to pay the five pence for the bag that I confidently appropriate from their self service supervisory desk, when they are showing some poor fool how to bag their groceries. Even in self service we are never alone. It is big brother.
 sundownertoo
Msg: 13
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/30/2016 9:34:20 PM
I've spent a little time in Tesco. I visited Wales for 3 weeks, loved it.

I don't like paying for bags either when I shop. It should be included in the price of goods.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/30/2016 10:11:08 PM
We carry out some acts of resistance up here in embra. When purchasing messages if a bag is bought i turn them inside out (only works if the bag has the shops logo on it to be fair) because it is my bag that i have bought so i shall jolly well do as i please with it.

When heading out for a major purchasing of messages though the big reusable bags make an appearance. So if heading to morrisons then a heavy duty farmfoods bag gets used. Or a heavy duty iceland bag if going to farmfoods. Oh how i chuckle as store managers hiss and throw evil looks because i use a rival stores bags.

Of course it can also be said that is rather sad that annoying shop workers is pleasurable.

Its been a long day. We won at the fitba and are now in the league cup final.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 15
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/31/2016 2:19:21 AM
....... keep taking the tablets nx........

Vlad is totally right, stores use bags (especially the big ones)
as a marketing tool. Shops also watch to see how many
competitors bags are out there....
(not nearly so accurate since the Bag Tax hit).
To anyone who objects, I would suggest that they buy
half a dozen 'bags for life' and the problem is solved
(apart from the dog poo issue).

TucsonPug
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 1/31/2016 2:40:18 AM
Lol Bunny I already use the large reusable bags when venturing into a store but when you have home delivery the only options are items loose in the crate or in bags for a one off charge of 40p. I'm not unloading a weeks worth of shopping at the front door one item at a time so opt to pay 40p so I can carry it all to the kitchen. The dog poo issue seems to be solved by scented nappy sacks or if walking in the woods it's boot and scoot or stick and flick which is the preferred option for me and the woodland trust, forestry commission etc etc.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 17
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 2/9/2016 6:31:12 AM
^^^^^^
yuck...talking about dog poo...always keep the conversation going...Brits....forever exciting.....
 TucsonPug
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 2/9/2016 8:11:02 AM
^^^^^^
Well it's a fact of life yuck or not and you're not what us Brits call interesting so get over it.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 19
Plastic bags - charity?
Posted: 2/9/2016 10:51:12 AM
^^^^^^^
lol...@TucsonPig- Well, clearly that's a lie...what else could draw you outta your cave ?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Plastic bags - charity?