Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Found dead, eaten by cats      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marrakech7
Msg: 1
Found dead, eaten by catsPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Every once in awhile when tossing and turning at 3am and my mind wanders I see the newspaper headline "Lady found dead, eaten by cats". The thoughts pop in my head but are fleeting, luckily. I've been in my own for awhile and at times I've thought about what if I slipped in the shower or had a heart attack or choked on the chicken in my TV dinner - how long would it take for someone to come looking for me? A day? Two days? A week? Would my dog eat me? I don't think so, dogs are loyal.

My daughter is 2 days drive away. I work on my own. Some days I don't see anyone other than buying groceries or going to Starbucks. It's not like the snotty kid at Starbucks says "gee, I haven't seen Mara in 3 days, better give her a call".

Do some of you think about this every once in awhile? Give thought to just how "alone" you are? Feel a little isolated at times? Maybe even scared a bit? Many of us have had our social circle get smaller or our world gets smaller, family and friends move away or we move away.

Hot toddy and a sleeping pill might be the answer. And don't get a cat.
 Elsadora
Msg: 2
Found dead, eaten by cats
Posted: 1/30/2016 12:29:25 AM
Yes, I too have thought about this. I have heard that cats will start to devour their dead in 30 minutes flat. Sadly, I wish I could say my cats were nearly that loyal. For them, I am thinking I am toast faster than one can say dIjorno!
 kj521
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/30/2016 3:19:00 AM
Ms. Marrakech7......you're dead body is not safe from a dog either. A hungry animal will do what it needs to to survive.

Heck.....I have teenagers at home. I have suspicions that if my untimely death inconvenienced their social activities they would just put my body in my bed and convince themselves I was just resting. Geez Louise! They might even tote me around in the car since they can't drive without an adult! Just like that Weekend at Bernie ' s movie! Hope they at least have the decency to coordinate my outfits properly. :/

I'm thinking a bird....in a cage.... is a good pet. :)
 IgottaName
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/30/2016 4:27:19 AM
I always tell my kids that when the time comes and I'm still single, just wheel my chair on to the a boat and cut the lines, because, "Lost at sea." sounds better than, "found alone, dead in apartment."
 Walts
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/30/2016 5:10:43 AM

Do some of you think about this every once in awhile? Give thought to just how "alone" you are? Feel a little isolated at times? Maybe even scared a bit? Many of us have had our social circle get smaller or our world gets smaller, family and friends move away or we move away.

For the last 15 years or so, my daughter has had a rule that before I head to the rivers/lakes to go fishing, be it a 1/2 day to a month, I have to text her where I am "planning" on going, and when I should be back. If I don't get a hold of her when I told her I was to be back, she heads out on a search.

For my truck.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2016 6:07:15 AM
Yup, croaking alone is a possibility for us. Now we could go like a distant uncle I had. He was sitting in front of the tv with it on, in his living room. Curtains were open, you could see him sitting there. He looked like he fallen asleep. Yet he was dead as a hammer-for a week. Another uncle came to get him for his weekly grocery run, is how he was found. Now, the one that found him knew, by smell, that something was wrong. He didn't just go in and shake him. A casual guess was that he went just after he got home from the previous week's shopping trip.

We could get involved with someone we aren't exactly thrilled over. That could be a very real possibility for us old curmudgeons, who want perfect. Bottom line, it's coming, and we know it.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/30/2016 7:02:42 AM
Several years ago when I was out of station, I became very seriously ill and had no concrete plan for this kind of event (shame on me). Since then I've established networks of friends and contacts and a correlating plan, that if they don't hear from me for x amount of time, then they must contact emergency services. Those same people (my friends and contacts) also rely on me to do the same for them.

Once I'm dead and gone, what happens to my body will no longer be my concern. I do worry how my children will react, but I have done the best I can to provide for them after I'm gone. I've established a will of which my children are sole beneficiaries of the assets and insurance policy and my pre-paid funerary plan. (My eldest knows where that and the policies are placed.)

Death is feature of life one must accept, because it's going to happen. I've spent so much time fearing death and trying to read in the future (which is an ugly feature of severe anxiety), that I lost precious time I could have spent in living in the present. I'll no longer do that.
 c0mplex1
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/30/2016 7:16:25 AM
Yes, think of it every now and again. My only hope is people from work....and since I'll have to work until I die, someone will *eventually* come looking for me when I don't show up at my desk. Sad but true....
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/30/2016 7:53:00 AM
Well, let me think...

Being that this is a dating site, why would you be thinking a death...and what self respecting cat would want to eat you...OP.
 marrakech7
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/30/2016 7:58:35 AM
^^^ Mr. Happy. This wasn't meant to be "what is the worst way to die?" and then we try to trump each other's experience.

Edit to ^^^^. I just thought it was a valid question, the majority of us are on our own, alone. How "alone" are we? If you fell in the tub, broke your back or something - how long would it take for someone to come live owing for you?
 OnRumFoLy
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/30/2016 8:04:45 AM
My preference would be something like this ...
-----------------

Unidentified body found on boat off Nai Harn
Phuket Gazette - January 23, 2016 | 03:15 PM

PHUKET: Police this morning discovered the severely decomposed body of an unidentified male on a boat off of Nai Harn.

Officers were alerted to the Australian-flagged boat after a man complained of a bad smell emanating from a vessel that had been anchored in the same spot for nearly a week, confirmed Maj Thada Sodarak of the Chalong Police.

“We found no documentation on the boat to help us identify the body. However, we found a laptop and a credit card,” Maj Thada said. “We have yet to confirm if the name on the credit card is the name of the person found.”

Police believe that the man had been dead for at least a week before being discovered.

“We found no signs of a struggle or that the boat had been ransacked,” Maj Thada added.

The body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital to determine the cause of death.

Police will continue to investigate further to discover the identity of the man. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/facebook-news/62955#ad-image-0
 2ufo
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/30/2016 8:22:40 AM
Marrakech...

Bad news. Your pet dog will eat you if you die.

On the other hand, you could move to a place where you have noisy neighbors.

I couldn't go 12 hours without my mother sending someone out to find me. Even when I tell her I'm going to be out of touch for a day or two, I have to tell the people she'd call to send after me.
 RiverEdge
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/30/2016 9:16:47 AM
What you need to do is set up an "everything is OK" alarm.

Every morning when you wake up, step outside your front door and scream ... "I'm still alive you *#&*# bas-tards"

When you're "reverse" alarm goes off, people will NOT hear it.

snotty kid at Starbucks

:-) ... universal truth
 ndm147
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/30/2016 9:51:16 AM
I have thought about that also since my grown children don't live nearby. Get long term care insurance, but that won't help if you choke at home alone. What about those medical alert bracelets they advertise on TV for the elderly if they fall at home and need assistance ( press the button and emergency assistance is notified)? Or, eventually move into a retirement community where the staff keeps an eye on the residents.
 ndm147
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/30/2016 9:52:08 AM
I have thought about that also since my grown children don't live nearby. Get long term care insurance, but that won't help if you choke at home alone. What about those medical alert bracelets they advertise on TV for the elderly if they fall at home and need assistance ( press the button and emergency assistance is notified)? Or, eventually move into a retirement community where the staff keeps an eye on the residents.
 DinVermont
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/30/2016 12:11:34 PM
Serious subject and I too have recently thought of this very question (late at night, tossing in bed).

I live alone with a very sweet lab. I can go for days without talking to someone who knows me and just recently read a news article about a woman around my age found dead in her driveway. She apparently was shoveling snow and collapsed. It got me thinking of the outcome for my dog if I died at home! Not wanting my dog to suffer I started searching for some options, besides Lifeline type programs. I have discovered that my local state police have a program called "Are you OK?". One signs up for the program, setting up a time once a day where the police dept calls and says "are you ok?". If no answer they call 2 more times and if the person does not respond then they come to the house for a wellness check. I am going to sign up next week (have to drive to the local dept. which is 30 minutes away). I would recommend anyone with this concern check to see if this type of wellness check is offered in their area. Start with an on-line search - that's how I discovered this valuable service offered by the State Police.

Good luck and hopefully you won't worry that your cat (or dog) will eat you!
 loveisatemple
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:11:37 PM
I never had animals. As for the isolation question, more than likely I would get to know neighbors, have a few friends to check up on each other, and do the same for them.

Yes, be prepared. I haven't put this in place, but over the years I think about this in relation to a ltr.
I guess it's one reason people want a spouse, assuming it is harmonious ltr.

There is comfort in that, and necessity, if one can work well as a team. The big if. But certainly, having someone one can trust with life and death matter is very important, along with all the other things, like shared values and interests.
 daynadaze
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:17:13 PM
I don't know what difference it would make once I'm dead, the important thing for me would be that any pets would be locked up in the house with me and unable to eat, which would mean they would die a slow, agonizing death and that would be horrifying. The idea that cats would eat you once 30 mins passed is so beyond ridiculous, why would anyone say something like that? Any pet might eat you if they got hungry enough, but why would you care, you are dead. Most times it's the mail person who sees you aren't getting your mail and so turns it in. I have heard stories of pets eating their dead owners, not all are true but you can't blame a pet for being hungry and trying to survive. The idea that a dog is too loyal but a cat will eat you is just hate spewing against an animal you don't happen to like, the rats/mice/maggots will probably get you before a pet, but again, who knows. Why do you fear being eaten after you are dead?
 marrakech7
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:30:48 PM
OMG. This was meant to be light hearted and even humourous about actually being eaten by your pet. And in NO way was it meant as "dogs are good, cats are bad". I guess I should have said "SOME dogs and SOME cats". Anyway, the pets weren't the point. The point is your thoughts on being alone. Where does you mind wander to at night when thoughts go to hurting yourself, getting sick or even dying.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:50:22 PM

I have discovered that my local state police have a program called "Are you OK?". One signs up for the program, setting up a time once a day where the police dept calls and says "are you ok?". If no answer they call 2 more times and if the person does not respond then they come to the house for a wellness check.

What if when the police call an intruder has a gun to your head and makes you say “yes”?
Maybe you should have a safe word, too, a secret word that means you need help.

I can’t imagine a police department having so much time on their hands they can repeatedly call shut ins daily to make sure Fifi or Fido isn’t enjoying a corpse buffet. :/

Anyhoo I don’t fear being eaten after I’m dead. I’d be more concerned about a pervy necro undertaker or black market organ dealer. Late at night I tend to recriminate myself for past stupidity which I also can do nothing about, like death, and that’s why I read myself into unconsciousness.
 2ufo
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:57:57 PM
DinVermont...
That's a great idea. I'll have to check around the police/fire services around here.

Marrakech...
Now you know. Sometimes humor doesn't translate and even when it does, sometimes we don't take it as humor.

As an aside, if your dog dies first and you're locked in the house, don't eat the liver.
 Maleman999
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/30/2016 2:07:45 PM
I leave out a big bowl of water and a big bowl of dry cat food and keep both topped up all of the time, in the event something happens to me. The cat nibbles on the dry cat food and drinks water a little bit at a time (the cat gets wet food too), so a bowl full of food would probably last for a week, and hopefully by then, somebody would notice I'm not around and try to get a hold of me. Plus I would have both mail and newspapers piling up, indicating something's not right-maybe. Some people go away and don't bother notifying the post office or newspaper (if they get it) that they will be away, and let it pile up.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2016 2:25:35 PM

I have discovered that my local state police have a program called "Are you OK?". One signs up for the program, setting up a time once a day where the police dept calls and says "are you ok?".

I live in Illinois, we have a similar program, though it's a little different.

Here the police shoot you first, then ask "Are you OK?"
 dragonbytes
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2016 2:29:20 PM

The point is your thoughts on being alone. Where does you mind wander to at night when thoughts go to hurting yourself, getting sick or even dying.

A lot of my financial life is on autopay.

I wonder how long after I am dead will money keep coming in and bills keep being paid, heat and electric stay on? Is there a record for how long dead people stay alive virtually?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/30/2016 2:30:56 PM

Film at eleven.

Where does you mind wander to at night

Thoughts of naked women lying beside me.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Found dead, eaten by cats