Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Robert Galbraith (aka jk rowling)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 1
Robert Galbraith (aka jk rowling)Page 1 of 1    
Has anyone read her detective series? I was reading reviews and they were good and I was thinking of maybe picking up the first one after the stuff I'm finishing.

I've been searching for a good detective series. I don't like grusome though. Yeah there's a disappearance or murder, but I don't want bloody crime scene details and that.

Recommendations? I have the last Louise Penny book on the shelf next. That's the style I like.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
Robert Galbraith (aka jk rowling)
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:01:21 PM
I've read two of them - I think that's all that are out now. Unfortunately, I gave them both away to the thrift after I finished them or I would give them to you.

Not bloody crime scene, but a little bit gritty. They don't have the page turning qualities of the Harry Potter books, but they're better than average. My only quibble would be that I figured out whodunit pretty early in the second book.

Love the story behind them though. Jo Rowling is the first author to become a billionaire from her writing. She doesn't need to write. But she not only continues to write, she submitted this under the Robert Galbraith name. Even the publisher didn't know it was Rowling when they published it.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:34:15 PM

Even the publisher didn't know it was Rowling when they published it.

hah, neat. I guess it shows her talent.

There was a bbc series, the detective lindlay mysteries, i really liked. I didn't know they were based off the books. Had I known I'd have read the books instead.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:35:50 PM
I never have read any sherlock holmes! I dunno, never thought to give them a go. Should I? maybe I'll do that, see how I feel.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/30/2016 1:46:36 PM
I read all the Holmes stories in my teens, so I don't remember them well enough to say.

Agatha Christie was the JK Rowling of her time though, and her books hold up very well. Lawrence Block is good too - I particularly like the Keller stories and the Bernie Rhodenbar books. His good friend Donald Westlake wrote a lot of fun books too. And under his nom de plum of Richard Stark he wrote my favourite opening line to a book: "When the phone rang Parker was in the garage killing a man." Most of the Parker books start with the word "When."
 runningout
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2016 4:23:25 PM
Try Lilian Jackson Braun or Rita Mae Brown. If memory serves me correctly, there is little to no gore. When younger, I became enthralled with both series as they involved the family pets solving the cases.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/6/2016 12:56:36 PM
The' Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes' series by Laurie King---set all over the world

The ' Commisario (sp) Guido Brunetti' series by Donna Leon---set in Venice

The 'Hamish McBeth' series by M.C. Beaton---set in the Scottish Highlands

All really good series, not gory, relying on brains and cunning rather than bullets and brawn---best to find the first of the series, if possible and start there~

Enjoy<
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/6/2016 1:00:52 PM
I was in the library yesterday, and there's a new Robert Galbraith book out.
 junipermoon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2016 7:22:05 PM
i suffer with a severe detective series addiction. and my all-time favorite is tony hillerman. i grieved his passing more than i have any other writer, with the possible exception of ray bradbury. in any case, he offers tight mysteries, interwoven with vivid descriptions of the painted desert and an almost detached description of navajo culture. he's the only white man to ever be made an honorary navajo. he also won an edgar award for crime fiction. his daughter has picked up the series, only in a different voice. after you read his work, pick up hers and you'll see what i mean.

if you like slightly more accessible fare, check out jonathan kellerman's alex delaware novels. his psychologist main character gets himself tangled up in all manner of thrillers. he's easier to read than hillerman, but just as satisfying.

anyway, have fun discovering new writers.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/27/2016 1:40:09 AM

Jo Rowling is the first author to become a billionaire from her writing

although primarily from the movie adaptations I'd guess..not strictly from people reading the books?
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/27/2016 11:13:48 AM
Runningout mentioned Lilian Braun, and i read about her. When I finish my current read I fully intend to head up to the library and get #1. I like owning the book, but there's like a billion in her series so while I rarely go to the library, those will be a library read :)

I have all the other names written on a word doc on my desktop too. I'll bring those along and look at them. Alli's library day adventure.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Robert Galbraith (aka jk rowling)