Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New Hope Blooms Again      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1
New Hope Blooms AgainPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Antonin Scalia, U.S. Supreme Court justice, dead at 79
Conservative U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, 79, has died.
His death comes as the court is set to hear its first major abortion case in nearly 10 years, and ahead of key cases on voting rights, affirmative action and immigration.

As "hard hearted" as this sounds... I can only say... "Oh my gentle Jesus, I do believe now. There truly is a God"...
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 4:38:27 PM
Even evil people don't live forever.

This is going to make the next 9 months even more interesting than we thought.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 3
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 5:05:32 PM
The reaction of Republicans though is utterly disgusting. They have said that they won't have hearings on a replacement.

There's a special place in Hell for these scum.
 sundownertoo
Msg: 4
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 5:13:11 PM
There is hope. Hope for a replacement that is a moderate, intelligent person with no ties to conservatives, liberals or god. Especially god.
 gtomustang
Msg: 5
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 5:35:14 PM
yep, Mitch says we gotta wait for the next president. And these hypocrites complain when the Prez is forced to do things by executive order. Maybe don't treat the CINC like a boy who should stand in the corner.

It could be a fun next few months--the Prez offers a choice, the Hill screws around, Trump chimes in with something stupid that makes the GOP wince, and then they do something that makes them look out of touch b/c there's still no message control. Or, they fight with the Tea Party, and as Randy Quaid says in Days of Thunder, they end up as usual lately looking like a monkey F'king a football out there....
 cotter
Msg: 6
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 5:57:38 PM
Message 1 ...
"Oh my gentle Jesus, I do believe now. There truly is a God"...
This does make one have to reconsider ... eh Joe?

Nah ... I just have to say "What goes around, comes around". Yeah ... that's it.

Message 2 ...
Even evil people don't live forever.

+1000

This is going to make the next 9 months even more interesting than we thought.
Yup ... the republican dippers are already saying they will not entertain a nomination ... I wonder what that means?

This president is just not going to be allowed to do his job ... no matter what?
 aj17225
Msg: 7
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 6:10:19 PM
Sad day. A great human has passed away. Hopefully there is a long and hard vetted nomination process. OP, your opening remarks are pathetic and classless but we already knew that of you. I definitely agree that the next President should appoint the next Justice. I hope what I hear now in the infant stages that this becomes true.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 8
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 6:17:20 PM
Eisenhower appointed Brennan as a recess appointment. He served till 1990. I think Obama should follow that precedent and avoid the hyper partisanship. He was elected and reelected: it's his responsibility.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 9
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 6:47:01 PM

Eisenhower appointed Brennan as a recess appointment. He served till 1990. I think Obama should follow that precedent and avoid the hyper partisanship. He was elected and reelected: it's his responsibility.

What would make it REALLY interesting... would be for him to nominate Vaughn Walker... the Prop 8 quashing guy...

How the hell would they deal with that...? Especially considering... he was a Reagan/Bush appointee...

We would be able to smell the odour... of burning electrical insulation... all the way up here...
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 10
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 6:50:19 PM
Judge AS was clearly a shill for the top 1%; any dimwit can see that
But the question is who has the most to benefit from this unexpected SC vacancy.

If Trump were to sue Cruz on the issue of citizenship, could the SC still hear it?
And if not, then could it stump Cruz's candidacy until the position is filled
Or does Cruz simply get a bye on this!
 daynadaze
Msg: 11
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 7:20:48 PM

I definitely agree that the next President should appoint the next Justice.

What? Who are you kidding? Seriously, if it was the other way around you be screaming your lungs out.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 12
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 8:18:49 PM
Oh, my. Have they begun locating the horcruxes, then?
 ChaoticSphere
Msg: 13
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 8:55:08 PM
Before Justice Lewis Powell retired in 1987 the Senate Democrats worked to oppose whomever Reagan would nominate. The Democrats actually notified Reagan that there would be a fight and there was. Joe Biden played a major role in obstructing Reagan's nominations.

Possibly “hope” in the short term but long term I think your war is lost. I think with shifting demographics, especially from regions with strong religious beliefs, eventually will result in your ideology being marginalized. Currently, Muslims are not attacked for their religious belief and hold no political power to make changes. Right now, Muslims vote 70% (America) democrat thus short term its a mutually beneficial relationship. As our immigration policy favors those from the middle east, Muslims will gain in strength, enter the political system, and vote their religious belief. Western Culture has been conditioned to have fewer children and Muslims have more. Democrats will continue to target white Christian republicans (any others off the plantation) but at some point it will shift to Muslims as they assert their political power and religious belief. Europe is already changing and all you have to do is open your eyes.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 14
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/13/2016 10:47:32 PM
Bork? BORK? Roll me over, in the clover, roll me over, lay me down, and do it again. . . .

Someone needs to think this through: with the Supreme Court constituted as it is this minute, Gore would have been President.

The rePublicans are really going to try this in an election year, with the voters awake, hongry, and watching? Really? No recesses AT ALL so the critters can go home and run for office? And a Senate they could easily lose even in the best of all possible scenarios? Think I'm gonna invest in some popcorn companies.
 FGRN83
Msg: 15
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 12:35:19 AM
Another reason to secede. The remaining half of Texas is already discussing 14th Amendment opportunities.
 deetristate
Msg: 16
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 2:52:41 AM
It will be interesting to see whether this brings out the Dems or Reps more to vote.

If I were a Reublican in Congress, I would not have hearings either, unless I want to lose both houses in Nov. If Republicans allow the press or the President to bully them into having hearings on a S.Ct. candidate, they don't need to be in office.

Again, more bloodlust from extreme liberals, like when they killed the man in Oregon. So much for peace, love and understanding.. .

Maybe Obama will start campaigning for Clinton if she agrees to appoint him. That was a joke, people.

Chaotic, they don't want to see. And they don't get that whole goose/gander concept.

You may have a point on the Muslim thing. Liberals say " let them in,, even if the high possibility of ISIS membership looms" which suggests the ultimate doom of their "its a free for all" ideology. But see, many of the supporters of that are young and naive, wealthy enough that none of this matters but mostly old like Bernie and know that they will be dead soon and not have to live with the consequences and don't care about their kids or don't have any, like several here.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 17
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 6:44:56 AM
Will Thomas be able to vote without Scalia?

The only thing certain during the next year is there will be a Senate fight over a Supreme Court nomination. President Obama will nominate a judge, senate republican's will not allow any hearing on that nominationt, and the democrats will make hay with the GOP congress of "NO"... It does not bode well for the republicans whatever way they go.

And all these upcoming decisions on abortion, immigration, affirmative action, the contraception mandate...it is likely that all these decisions will end up in a 4-4 tie (unless Kennedy does something unexpected) and the lower courts decision will hold.

There are potentially 3 more nominations coming during the next President's term...Ginsburg, being most likely the next vacancy.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 7:03:43 AM
deetrisate:
Again, more bloodlust from extreme liberals, like when they killed the man in Oregon. So much for peace, love and understanding.. .

You are pretending that the Oregon State police, who are the ones who shot that man, are "extreme liberals?" Or are you pretending that the FBI is entirely populated by "extreme liberals?"

The Constitution says that it's the Presidents' job to appoint or nominate successors when a vacancy opens. If the Republicans oppose this, they will be doing TWO things they claim not to do:

1: ignoring the Constitution entirely (see article 1, section 2);

2: admiring and copying the worst misbehaviors of the Democrats who they pretend to be better than.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 7:05:44 AM
This is a lose-lose situation for Republicans.

http://www.salon.com/2016/02/14/2016_is_now_all_about_the_supreme_court_this_is_how_justice_scalias_death_deadlocks_the_court_and_changes_presidential_race/

BlackOnyx48
Msg: 20
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 7:07:19 AM
It is the duty of the current President to select the next Supreme Court Justice...period !!!!

The people will not tolerate the GOP, attempting to delay the process, if this was to happen, Consequences will be rendered...the GOP, would not only lose the White House...but seats in Congress, The Senate and Governors...it would be handing the Presidency to Clinton, or Sanders without a fight...so go ahead, block it...I dare you..........
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 7:55:50 AM
and if someone like Cruz is allowed to run for Prez AND pick the next SC justice...you might actually see people turn out to vote.
 FGRN83
Msg: 22
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 8:04:10 AM
"Delay...........Delay.............Delay"

CW seems to imply Hillary has brokered a job for barry. The 13% solutin.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 8:06:24 AM
Whoever gets elected as the next president will most likely appoint at least one Supreme Court Justice. Before Justice Scalia's death, it would have been at least two.

So, what you just said, GTO, has always been an issue. The biggest difference now is that it's going to become such a HUGE issue that why this matters will be explained over and over again, and I agree, I think many more people will turn out to vote, as a result.

I hope you're staying warm. We had a power outage this morning, and it was scary how quickly the house cooled down.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 24
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 8:11:54 AM
If the Republicans actually do block any nominee, then the Democratic candidate will be able to make this election about Citizen's United. This is such an unpopular and ludicrous decision, going against every precedent, that even the Republican front runner is basically running against it.

If the election is about this issue, then the Democrats could win the Senate and Congress. The Presidency isn't even worth discussing. It'll just be about how much the Republicans will lose.
 gtomustang
Msg: 25
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 8:38:29 AM
ugh, LM, that was always my fear when my parents were here at the house--a power outage during a single digit winter day, with electric heat. Thank goodness, all power outages were during warm weather. Funny how quick below freezing temps can really suck away heat.

I think you're right, the SC has some members near retirement age, and if their party gets into the White House, they'll consider using the opportunity to leave. Scalia's death just forces the issue. In times past, likely Average Joe who wasn't big on issues wouldn't have considered this. But, I think Trump the Entertainer has awoken more peoples' interest in what is going on, along with the economy changing itself. But it still boils down to, if Average Joe or Josephine thinks their vote ain't worth it, while bother even showing up.

and if they think that, then they feel even more disconnected from what's going on. and what will they think is the answer? give up? join some weird group that says it will be an alternative to taking part in politics?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New Hope Blooms Again