Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is my profile ok? I've never had a girlfriend..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dave2O15
Msg: 1
Is my profile ok? I've never had a girlfriend..Page 1 of 1    
Hey guys, I've been using this for a while now and it's difficult to get a reply let alone meet someone. So just seeing if theres something I could do to my profile that can improve my chances?

Thanks
 NJgirl116
Msg: 2
Is my profile ok? I've never had a girlfriend..
Posted: 3/8/2016 5:02:40 PM
Hi OP,

You are tall, fit and handsome - great.
The profile is bad - this can be fixed.

One of our male reviewers has a whole list of questions to address when writing a profile. Hopefully he'll get here and give you some homework.

I do have a feeling you're pulling our leg.
 tennistown
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/8/2016 8:55:03 PM

Posted By: Dave2O15

Yeah, I guess it's OK,
(for a six sentence profile.)
And when one of your sentences is. . . . .

Hey!

It can be difficult to express oneself anyway.
Let alone do it in six lowly sentences.

Have you thought about expanding
upon what you've written?

I suggest changing your tiniest sentence.
"Hay", is for horses.
Not for nice young ladies.

It's the written equivalent
of driving up to your dates home.
Then honking the horn
for her to come out, to meet you.

When I think back
to the very best profiles
that I have ever read. . . .
None, began with "Hey!"

Your profession is in telecommunications,
as you have it listed. Doesn't that
have something to do with communicating
over the telephone? That alone tells me
you should be pretty good at talking it up?

Yes, the conversation will be one sided.
Because it's a monologue. But write you must!

So my advice, to improve your chances here.
Make your profile better than just OK.

And you can do that with words. Positive ones.
Good luck!
 Dave2O15
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/9/2016 2:36:41 AM
Ahh yeah, makes sense, thanks for the advice! I'm not the best when thinking of something to say. I'm a senior communications tech/engineer under my own company, or "phone man" as some clients refer me too haha. I shall have a crack at writing more! A few years ago, I never had a job.. depression, super shy introvert and I met a blind girl who for some reason made me try change myself day 1. Unfortunately she lives half way across Australia so she now has a partner. Hopefully, I'll find someone local!

And thanks NJgirl116
 asianprincesssss
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/11/2016 8:49:01 PM
The About me seems fine. Just put more pictures of you smiling
 Dave2O15
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/13/2016 12:32:28 AM
Thanks asianprincesssss, I've uploaded a couple. I do have a few good photo's but usually with others.. I might need to take more.
 tennistown
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/13/2016 7:49:47 AM
Your profile is looking waaaay better than it was.

Your photos could use captions.

I have to say I'm not interested in partying/night clubbing sorry, just not for me.

^^^^ You end your "About Me" with this sentence that sounds negative.
It would be much better to remove that, and finish with what you are interested in.
With excitement and positive waves.

Put a pleasant spin on your profile,
in the last few word she reads.
Maybe they will stick,
and she will reply back!
 springorfall
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2016 6:37:03 AM
Some great advice given. Your profile's looking good. Happy fishing :)
 Dave2O15
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/10/2016 1:42:53 AM
Not much luck! Getting a reply is impossible, even if theres a lot in common. I think I'll have better luck in the real world
 Forums_only
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:55:22 AM
When women in your age range get dozens of messages a day, you can help yourself by having a great main photo (shoulders up, smiling head shot, no sunglasses, not an obvious selfie). You have only one photo in your gallery that MAYBE would work. This is the fastest and easiest way to be noticed instead of a faraway photo with sunglasses.

You can also lose the word 'friend' in the first line, or even just stop after looking for a nice girl. (That would be kinda obvious as this is a dating site.) The profile does lack humour, which would serve you well once a viewer gets past the photos and Interests.

The photos and Interests field are often only what some girls will look at because of the sheer volume of messages. You can replace some of the generic words with specific one or two-word examples to be more memorable. Also - why not add a favourite comedian whose style of humour you enjoy? a favourite movie or TV show? Music genre/group/artist?

Or - you can give up and keep looking IRL. Either way, you will still need patience and a sense of humour. Good luck!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/10/2016 12:46:19 PM

Not much luck! Getting a reply is impossible, even if theres a lot in common.

Yeah, no surprise there.

Ask for your money back.

The best advice I can give a guy for online dating is to use as much clean humor in profile and messages, and hope it starts to get appreciated again soon, like it used to be in the glory days of OLD.

Best of luck.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2016 10:17:10 PM
The "Hey!" beginning, I agree is not good.

Also: "just looking for a nice girl for friend/relationship" sends the signal that you very well could be siding on the friend-with-benefits. I would nix that. You're on a date site and filled out the profile of what you're looking for, so that speaks for itself anyway. You can describe the kind of gal "I'd like to meet". Make sure you spell 'meet' that way, and not as 'meat'. I did that once, and my results were less than expected. ;)
 Dave2O15
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/11/2016 6:00:49 PM
I tried being funny but thought I'd write a more serious profile and leave it to messages. It'll probably help I've just bought a new home which is still being built, and I'll be moving out of my parents place, thank god!
 LJane_6
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2016 3:12:08 AM

depression, super shy introvert

I am the same way, makes it a lot harder to put ourselves out there and get dates. But, you are cute and seem intelligent. I'm surprised you've never had a girlfriend.

I tried being funny but thought I'd write a more serious profile and leave it to messages. It'll probably help I've just bought a new home which is still being built, and I'll be moving out of my parents place, thank god!

Doesn’t have to be really funny – just maybe throw a bit of humor into it. Most girls love a guy who is fun and makes them laugh. Nothing too corny, though! Agree that being a homeowner is a plus.
 Dave2O15
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/16/2016 2:21:53 PM
Depression is a thing of the past now, and probably not an introvert.. But I've never even had a date haha
 Dave2O15
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/16/2016 5:01:59 PM
Funny because I had a few pretty girls try ask me out at high school and I kindly declined. I remember I had about 30 girls come my way and my mate took off haha. She kept asking for months, and my mates thought I was gay. Interesting how things change haha
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is my profile ok? I've never had a girlfriend..