Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Get rid of the Meet Me feature!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sir_Chuk
Msg: 1
Get rid of the Meet Me feature!Page 1 of 1    
Nothing is more annoying than having people click yes on the Meet me button just to advance to the next profile. I have never made a connection with anyone who clicked yes on my profile from that. It's a useless and annoying feature. Get rid of it please.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 2
Get rid of the Meet Me feature!
Posted: 3/12/2016 2:20:49 PM
I disagree, there are many things more annoying....like the woman who lives above me . She stomps her feet and lucky me she apparently likes to walk back and forth constantly.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:08:20 PM
Some years ago the young couple living above me were annoying too. I always knew when the guy climaxed....yes the guy......as he would scream the place down. OMG.

The Meet Me feature is somewhat benign compared with that I tell ya. Geeeez. Lol.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:13:34 PM
I used to live next door in an apartment to a couple who I often heard go at it through the paper thin walls....She was pretty cute and I'm not gonna lie....I didn't find it annoying

( wink )
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:40:31 PM
They don't even consider reading your profile.They remind me of people who enter a conversation
without any respect for the individual asking the question.So they cover their ears and go
bla,bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, They get it from their kids
 AussieNancy
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:44:54 PM
^^^^^ But you would have been......you know...maybe ..ummm....a little.....you know...... frustrated? (wink)
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:48:57 PM
^^^^^ I may have been alone but she provided a nice soundtrack that eased the frustration quite well....if ya know what I mean

( winkety wink wink )
 AussieNancy
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:52:14 PM
....btw? I was referring to Butter's post not yours , Iredurbio. Our posts crossed. Lol.

EDIT:
you're a cheeky man Butter. ;)
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:59:32 PM
^^^^^ Believe it or not, this isn't the first time I've been called cheeky
 AussieNancy
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/12/2016 5:36:22 PM
^^^^ :)
 gcdeb
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2016 6:47:45 PM
OP why should they get rid of a feature just because it annoys YOU? Most people work out how to use the feature so it doesn't annoy them, which is usually by ignoring it completely. Others message the people who say "yes" or "maybe" and THEN ignore it (ie don't care if there is a response). It's usually easy to tell who has said they want to meet you. The phone app has the photo displayed (albeit small, but usually big enough to recognise when the person pops up on your Meet Me list or Viewed Me. The email notification has the first and last letters of the person's username, again, usually enough info to recognise the person on your Meet Me list.

Apart from liking to play detective when I'm bored and working out who the person is, or reviewing my list and clicking "no" on all of them, I ignore the feature. It's a boredom activity for me and nothing more. It's very rare to get a message from someone who said they wanted to Meet Me.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2016 10:15:05 PM

It's a boredom activity for me and nothing more. It's very rare to get a message from someone who said they wanted to Meet Me.

It's an act of 'fishing'. Throwing a piece of bait into the water and see if anyone replies in-kind. It's pretty much the equivalent of making eye contact across the room, smiling, and hoping they smile back. No 'nibbles' means the bait needs to be changed.

It doesn't work because people don't respond, or at least don't respond correctly. Expecting a 'Meet Me' notice AND a message is really kind of selfish if you are doing absolutely nothing to reply. If someone really wanted to send a message, they would do so without even bothering with the 'Meet Me' feature. Not everyone in here is paying to find out who reads their messages anyway - so unless some action is taken to reply, sending a message is STILL about as useless as clicking 'Meet Me' in terms of feedback.

People that at least register as someone who's 'looked' at a profile provide SOME sort of feedback - but then again, a lot of people disable that notice in their e-mail settings because they don't want others to know who they are scoping out, and then forget to turn it on when they find someone they DO want to know.

Apart from liking to play detective when I'm bored and working out who the person is...

I never understood why the hell people do that kind of crap behind the scenes when a couple direct questions in a message can get you the answers you need. Send a freaking reply back. Ask. Stop assuming. If they turn out to be jerks or whatever, you can always block them later. Try some actual INTERACTION and find out if chemistry exists instead of guessing and assuming based on a few prior failures or a Google name search.
 gcdeb
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2016 11:08:11 PM

I never understood why the hell people do that kind of crap behind the scenes when a couple direct questions in a message can get you the answers you need. Send a freaking reply back. Ask. Stop assuming. If they turn out to be jerks or whatever, you can always block them later. Try some actual INTERACTION and find out if chemistry exists instead of guessing and assuming based on a few prior failures or a Google name search.
I'm not sure what I've done to deserve that level of harshness. I'm not actually looking to date at the moment, as is clearly stated on my profile, so I don't want to message anyone, or be messaged. "Playing detective" is nothing more than me trying to outsmart pof and find out who it is when they don't want me to. It has zero, zip, nada to do with the other person. And what exactly do you think I'm "assuming"??? I don't need any answers, I don't want any interaction, I don't need to find out if chemistry exists. I think you've made a whole bunch of assumptions about ME and quite frankly, as you are one of the people who's opinion I've always respected, I'm more than a little shocked at the attack.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2016 9:14:05 AM

I never understood why the hell people do that kind of crap behind the scenes when a couple direct questions in a message can get you the answers you need. Send a freaking reply back. Ask. Stop assuming. If they turn out to be jerks or whatever, you can always block them later.

I'm not sure what I've done to deserve that level of harshness... "Playing detective" is nothing more than me trying to outsmart POF and find out who it is when they don't want me to.

It's not personal. It's actually more about gender bias than anything. You can call it 'Playing Detective' if you want, and we have all done it in some sort of fashion at one time or another. What bugs the crap outta me, is when I've personally mentioned looking up a person through the internet - doing my own due diligence to find out who that person TRULY was - it's not being a 'Detective' - it's labeled "Cyber-Stalking" or something equally as creepy - getting criminalized for trying to find out if someone ELSE is a criminal.

I do believe starting a direct conversation is the most direct way to find out the truth, but people absolutely refuse to do so online without a background check - even though it's real-life equivalent is pretty much the exact same as chatting in line at a grocery store or a bus stop with a stranger. The stigma that the internet is full or creeps and baddies and pedophiles and criminals has GOT TO GO. We are ALL in here, now. It's no different than the real world! The nut jobs are only a small percentage, and yet we treat EVERYone with the same disrespect. Sure, we all want to know the truth - but we are also showing ZERO trust, and that we can't be trusted ourselves - before we have even STARTED a conversation.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/13/2016 10:52:00 AM
Meet Me still IS a completely FREE FEATURE AVAILABLE TO ALL MEMBERS. I just confirmed this (yet again) with an UNPAYING member.

It's just one of many OPTIONS PoF offers.

The simple translation is if you are in any way annoyed or offended by it, either turn it off and/or ignore it.

It's pretty obvious many members enjoy it because it is the simplest way to throw the largest cast net here.

My "best guess" is that a ST can click at least 5 if not possibly 10 Meet Mes PER MINUTE with a fast enough Internet connection. How many STS could send that many "Hi" emails in one minute?
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/13/2016 11:43:06 AM
No, actually, I deserve my very own personalized dating site.............
Really?
How is your holiday from the planet Zog?

springorfall
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2016 9:47:11 PM

Meet Me still IS a completely FREE FEATURE AVAILABLE TO ALL MEMBERS. I just confirmed this (yet again) with an UNPAYING member.

It's free to us (as unpaying members) to click on yes or no as to whether or not you'd like to meet someone, but in order to see WHO would like to meet you, (who clicked 'yes' to meeting you) you have to have an upgraded, paid, membership... so not *completely* free in its entirety - more like a 'hook' of curiosity to get you to pay to find out who said 'yes' (smart marketing on their part.)
 gcdeb
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2016 2:18:55 AM

It's not personal. It's actually more about gender bias than anything. You can call it 'Playing Detective' if you want, and we have all done it in some sort of fashion at one time or another. What bugs the crap outta me, is when I've personally mentioned looking up a person through the internet - doing my own due diligence to find out who that person TRULY was - it's not being a 'Detective' - it's labeled "Cyber-Stalking" or something equally as creepy - getting criminalized for trying to find out if someone ELSE is a criminal.
My last comment on this... you are either deliberately misconstruing my comment or simply don't understand what I'm saying.

My "playing detective" is simply, and only, about the pof message that says "b********n" wants to meet you. I just (sometimes) get curious to see if I can work out who "b********n" is. So I go to the pof Meet Me feature and click through the various photos that pop up to see if there is one that has the username that starts with b and ends with n. I don't do anything after that. It's just curiosity. I don't reverse image search, I don't check criminal databases (don't even know if that's possible in Australia). I don't have unanswered questions about the person that I could ask them directly. I don't care one tiny little iota about the person who wants to meet me.

I completely understand what you are saying but it has ZERO to do with what I was saying. I have a feeling though that you are not going to be able to acknowledge that.
 oWoron
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/16/2016 1:09:21 AM
I suppose you guys think you are very funny when you veer off the main topic
 Aprilovesrosasblancas
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/17/2016 8:24:48 PM
^

I suppose you guys think you are very funny when you veer off the main topic

Lol.
Well, this time it is kind of funny, it seems that they used magic to do that..lol

=============================================

OP, You should know that Meet me feature is the main key for this and any dating site business.
It is the bait for the fish.:)

The only one I think pof should get rid of
Is the "prefer not to say" in the profile.

Do you have a car?= "prefer not to say"
Do you want to have kids? = "prefer not to say"
These^ are important questions that must be answered with a YES or NOT only.
 Pacing_My_Cage
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2016 4:08:08 PM

It's free to us (as unpaying members) to click on yes or no as to whether or not you'd like to meet someone, but in order to see WHO would like to meet you, (who clicked 'yes' to meeting you) you have to have an upgraded, paid, membership... so not *completely* free in its entirety - more like a 'hook' of curiosity to get you to pay to find out who said 'yes' (smart marketing on their part.)

Actually, if you have your email alerts turned on, it's really free for everyone. It's frustrating to see so many people say that they aren't up graded so they can't see who clicked on them. I get an email that simply states that "their username here" wants to meet me! Before I was a paying member, I very simply copied the username in the email. Then signed into POF and pasted the name into the "username search"... and voila, there she is.

Oh and I say keep the feature... I've had some successful replies.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Get rid of the Meet Me feature!