Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why would a woman tell a man this?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DeliciousANDnutricious
Msg: 1
Why would a woman tell a man this?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Summer 2013 I met a woman from pof, we dated a few times, then she had me spend night at her place, then next time she came to my place.

Less than a month of dating.

One date out doing stuff on a she mentioned a male friend who is a Dr who buys himself a brand new Mercedes for cash every 2 years, I didn't really say anything, then later she brought up again, what was I supposed to say?

The next weekend I was at her apartment and she showed me her Facebook, and this old man, told me he took her for a ride in his Mercedes.

Finally I had to ask. I just asked if he was someone she met from pof?

She told me she met him from "Richmen dot com" I didn't say anything after that, in fact I never went to her place again.

Almost a year later she contacted me and we met up, she asked why I lost interest, I told her about telling me the rich guy story, and meeting him on a rich man date site, I figured I was not what she was looking for, so why continue?

Then she acted embarrassed, and all defensive telling me she didn't care about money, and "you know I like real men who work with their hands"

A female friend thought she was trying to make herself sound interesting or important by knowing the rich guy.

Why would a woman tell a guy she is dating this?
 Chromis1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why would a woman tell a man this?
Posted: 3/14/2016 11:29:19 AM

A female friend thought she was trying to make herself sound interesting or important by knowing the rich guy.

Eh, or something like that. Just showin' off. I wouldn't have been too crazy about hearing something like that, three times.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/14/2016 11:36:12 AM
Then she acted embarrassed, and all defensive telling me she didn't care about money, and "you know I like real men who work with their hands"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight she was on a site full of rich men because.......????????
 cooldog65
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2016 11:53:34 AM

Why would a woman tell a guy she is dating this?

Because she was hoping to get a something out of him financially. She showed her cards and when he lost interest, she backtracked.

She probably didn't expect to be rejected. Now she's trying to reel him back in by downplaying the rich guy and telling him what he may want to hear.

Sounds kind of manipulative in my opinion.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/14/2016 12:56:44 PM
That's just the classic "being into you, but not unless....." So she was making clear what her preferences are, and thereby what you need to do to make her happy. She was trying to communicate that you need to step it up in the future.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that when people are interested, they do not communicate they are seeing anyone else unless they are asked directly. So that must have been some conditional "I like you....but...".
 2ufo
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/14/2016 2:07:37 PM

I didn't really say anything, then later she brought up again, what was I supposed to say?

Maybe something good to say would have been, "Is a Mercedes important to you?"
Theoretically, women like to talk and I suspect you might have found out more.
Would it have been better if she'd met him on POF?
Some people think they are judged by their company or their possessions, maybe she's one.
A year later - acting embarrassed and defensive - perhaps she didn't think of the impression she was making.

No real answers here, just questions and considerations on dating.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/14/2016 2:14:35 PM
plenty of people men & women mention how they ¨know¨rich people..name dropping..seeking validation I suppose. because a majority in this society pretty much deify or worship rich folks. many are very impressed by rich folks, size of bank account...in this case probably trying to tell you that she had options (¨better¨options) other than you. Sean Penn knows El Chapo Guzman, one of the richest men in North América..impressive, huh? even fawningly interviewed him..probably led the Mexican authorities to his hiding place & his re-arrest. he has a lot of money so that is more important than , you know, the murders & crap
 DeliciousANDnutricious
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/14/2016 3:02:46 PM
"Would it have been better if she'd met him on POF?"

It would have been better if she would not have mentioned him, then the question of where she met him would never have come up.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/15/2016 12:00:33 PM
You should have told her that you met a yoga instructor on adultfriendfinder that offered to teach you the Kama Sutra.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/15/2016 12:50:31 PM
You can test drive a Merc for free. If it was a C class like I had, not that expensive.
Some guy the other day started telling me how famous he was. I agree ppl like to be star fukers
 IgottaName
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/15/2016 2:06:51 PM
2013-2014...mmm
This is 2016 and it still bothers you?
You should be more concerned about why it bothers you.
 c0mplex1
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/15/2016 3:32:57 PM
"2013-2014...mmm
This is 2016 and it still bothers you?
You should be more concerned about why it bothers you."

my thoughts exactly......
 gtomustang
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/15/2016 4:18:55 PM
well, i'll cut slack on thinking about things done years ago...some things just make you go WTF, and when you figure it out, you learn something about human nature. i'll take a WAG that the person wanted a relationship for a different reason than the OP. it happens. Sometimes, people aren't interested in dating a person, but a situation. they'll date someone for WHAT they are, rather than WHO they are.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2016 4:29:53 PM

A very BS statement. But then again, what else was she supposed to say trying to win your favor? :)

She was going on about some rich guy she knew and what he could buy. Freudian slips of conversation when he's some boss she looks up to but doesn't want to admit she actually likes? Oh, she met him online so it wasn't platonic -- and on a RichMen dating website! She's backpedaling, because you rejected her. She likes a guys who 'works with his hands' -- which takes to her liking. She also really likes guys whose hands are working the steering wheel of a brand new Mercedes that he buys in cash.

I disagree. That would be applicable talking with other gals. To a guy she's starting to date, going on about a rich guy she met off a RichMen Dating website? It does reflect something she does really like. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been on the website to even think of meeting any of them. Let alone going on about one of them.

I think she felt "OK" in her head to drone on about it, thinking it's harmless, much like a gal (or guy) will make too many comments talking about their Ex. They think it's harmless because they merely Feel they've moved past their Ex (mistaking not-miserable-anymore = over them).

Why did she say all that? She wasn't seeing the bigger picture. The whole time she's just thinking she's making reference to an Ex or someone she dated like many people do -- like, say, talking about "people", and referencing one's cousin, sibling, friend, or even an ex -- but with the ex, not in a flattering light, and definitely not repeated about the same one.

She didn't realize her off-top-of-her-head talk about the guy she hung out with from a RichMen Dating website wasn't on the same wavelength. Not a good sign -- even if she wasn't hung up on him emotionally at the time. It at least revealed that she Likes that stuff. That doesn't mean she ONLY likes that stuff. You rejecting her is going to make her more easily take a liking to you (human nature) -- and she's going to over-exaggerate her not being into that "rich man stuff" -- even though she joined a site to find such guys and kept talking about one. :)
 a_buick_a_dd214_and_a_ba
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/15/2016 8:11:54 PM

One date out doing stuff on a she mentioned a male friend who is a Dr who buys himself a brand new Mercedes for cash every 2 years, I didn't really say anything, then later she brought up again, what was I supposed to say?

She mentioned that she likes money twice.

She told me she met him from "Richmen dot com" I didn't say anything after that, in fact I never went to her place again.

One count of gold digger in the first degree.

"you know I like real men who work with their hands"

She'll marry for money, and then **** the pool cleaner.
 Aprilovesrosasblancas
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/16/2016 5:07:14 AM

One date out doing stuff on a she mentioned a male friend who is a Dr who buys himself a brand new Mercedes for cash every 2 years, Why would a woman tell a guy she is dating this?

What is wrong with her saying that? because I do not see anything malicious about her comment.
she was only commenting about her friend because she was impressed that a person buys a car of this brand every 2 years.

I believe her.

One count of gold digger in the first degree.

wanting to marry someone rich is a normal "dream"
Would bother you to dream that a rich woman falls in love with you? If it doesn't, then you are gold digger?
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/16/2016 6:32:48 AM
Yes April we all know that God loves rich people, that's why they are rich..and God hates the poor, he is punishing them for being bad. For not having much to tithe with. God loves El Chapo Guzman, and apparently really loved Pablo Escobar. God wanted this guy to have a new Mercedes every 2 years, that's a high priority for the Supreme Being..much more important than starving kids, war, and devastation.
But, they say love of money is the root of all evil..when really it's the root of all good..Greed is Good! Gordon Gekko said so!
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/16/2016 9:11:04 AM
"wanting to marry someone rich is a normal "dream"
Would bother you to dream that a rich woman falls in love with you? If it doesn't, then you are gold digger? "

There's a HUGE difference between being happy if the person who pursues you turns out to be rich and searching for someone based solely on how much money they have - like visiting a site called " richmen dot come " for example.
 DeliciousANDnutricious
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/16/2016 9:25:29 AM
The man and woman who asked about it taking place years ago, it doesn't bother me anymore, I just thought it was something interesting to discuss here.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/16/2016 9:27:35 AM
The women I've met that were my financial equals only wanted one thing, and it sure as hell wasn't a commitment.

A pool cleaner perhaps, but not a boyfriend.

Hahahahahhaa
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/16/2016 11:32:24 AM
is he buying the Merc, or leasing it as a company car? Sometimes what looks extravagant, is a tax write-off. either way, i'll stand with my prior post. she did what she did, b/c it doesn't blow up in her face and apparently feels good, or good enough.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/16/2016 12:01:08 PM
not necesarily all that impressive, depends on WHICH Mercedes maybe

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/mercedes-benz/c-class-pricing/

list prices start at under $40,000 for base C-class

you can spend more than that even for a low-class made in USA car..
 BeckyHT
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2016 12:32:50 PM

What is wrong with her saying that? because I do not see anything malicious about her comment.
she was only commenting about her friend because she was impressed that a person buys a car of this brand every 2 years.

We can’t read the tone she had in her voice. If they were both laughing and sharing past experiences, it probably had little relevance to what she was thinking. But there are those who are dropping strong hints… as in,’ I expect to be given gifts and taken care of.’
Us women come in many types. And yes, there are gold diggers.

Back in the years I chatted with many guys, I heard many tell me stories of how they were pressed into supporting women. Some felt sorry for the lady, started paying her bills and such, and realized later it had been a mistake. Those who were ‘taken advantage of’ were often leery of the next women they dated, including me.

I also heard stories of men who were angry with their ‘Ex’, and just wanted to unload on me. It immediately told me they weren’t ready to start another relationship. I often explained that to them, saying I was trying to help by giving them feedback. We all see stories in these forums written by men who think they were taken to the cleaners in their divorce. Unfortunately, none of us can fix everything.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/16/2016 12:42:31 PM

But there are those who are dropping strong hints… as in,’ I expect to be given gifts and taken care of.’

I was once told something similar by a bartender.

I appreciated her honesty.

Ironically, later in the conversation, she said she thought most men with a lot of money were arrogant, and that turned her off.

Go figure...
 hemingway234
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/26/2016 11:29:13 AM

- Because she failed Goldigger class 101.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why would a woman tell a man this?