Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Ready to get back in the game :)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Indy1017
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Ready to get back in the game :)Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Like the subject says, I'm ready to get back in the dating game. I'm not sure how to build a good profile. So, I need advice for my overall profile. All advice are welcome. I appreciate your inputs :)
 tennistown
Msg: 2
Ready to get back in the game :)
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:11:38 PM

I'm not sure how to build a good profile.

Personality - Hopeless Romantic

I see a couple of things on your
introductory dating profile
that could be done differently.

And the "Hopeless Romantic" personality
is where I suggest, you begin.

At 25, you can (maybe) still pull that personality off.
At you present age, 27, not so much.

Also avoid "Princess" and "Diva" personalities
when self describing Mister Numero Uno.
Good luck!
 Indy1017
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:18:27 PM
Thank you! I updated the personality to something more fitting (although I wish I could include Artsy in there too lol), but, what would you suggest I do about my introductory?
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:39:29 PM
Get rid of the horrible main photo. Replace with a photo in which you wear a shirt and your face is visible.
 Indy1017
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:47:36 PM
Okay, so, no shirtless pics?
 xsPuRx
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:48:11 PM
Yeah, a lot of women hate shirtless photos. Delete it completely. No one wants to see that. If you end up dating her, maybe they will eventually, but do you walk up to random women on the street and pull off your shirt? Maybe when your 20, but you're 27... If you really have a soft side, which seems to be the case. Try to highlight it a little more, but don't go too overboard with it.

Try taking a photo with you smiling. If you are a softy, than make women feel warm and fuzzy when they see your picture. Show that smile. Women like a good smile.

It is great you have your dog picture. Try to get one of you with your dog. Play with him/her and get a friend to take a picture.

Hope it helps
Shawn
 ScooterSB
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:49:19 PM
shirtless photos are the hallmark of a douche

Lots of your photos are unclear.

Your main photo should be you looking your VERY BEST. You have one an only one chance to make a great first impression, so don't blow it. A clear, bright, smiling headshot with you well dressed like you would for a first date will go a long way.
 Indy1017
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:51:27 PM
Thanks, I deleted the pic. How do I highlight my softer side without going overboard?
 Indy1017
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 1:55:47 PM
Thank you for the advice. I had no idea that shirtless pics give that kind of impression :( I'm very stylish, so, dressing shouldn't be a problem :) I'm just not good at selfies
 xsPuRx
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/4/2016 2:05:06 PM
Well you playing with your dog, with you smiling in the picture. This will show that you are affectionate, and that you love animals. Those two things are big deals. That is from a visual point of view. From a text point of view. You could make a single sentence that shows you care about people, or animals. Saying simple things like. Friends and family, I like to spend a lot of time with them. Means you enjoy being around people you care about. It doesn't have to be complicated. It needs to be something actually true of course. Maybe you like taking your dog around your area and enjoy spending time with your dog. Can be anything like that. That is just an example.

Overboard would be like. Maybe something bad happen once, and you were crying. That is overboard lol. Being too emotional can be counter productive. It doesn't translate well via text. So choosing words carefully that can not be taken out of context, because a lot of people when they talk in real life. The inflections in your voice can change the meaning of what you are saying very quickly. "Something in text that is meant to be funny" and might be in person, can make you look like a crazy person in text. So Keep it simple. :)
 Indy1017
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 2:08:43 PM
I never thought of that. Thank you :) I'm still new to online dating. So, I need every bit of advice I can get
 gcdeb
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 2:31:20 PM
Right next to the "upload images" button, it says "Your face MUST be clearly visible in your MAIN IMAGE. All images MUST contain you."

So your main pic is in violation of site rules, as is the dog pic. Put up a pic WITH your dog - those types of pics are very appealing. And if you don't care about site rules, that's fine. Just be aware that users here get to rate random images and most "raters" stick strictly to the rules. If you get enough votes, the pics WILL be removed by the site and upload images can be revoked.

Why waste your main pic on a photo of your arm? Why do you think that's an appealing photo? Having tattoos is cool. Feeling that they so define you that you need a photo of them on your DATING profile? Not so cool. A standard photo with you wearing a shirt and your tattoos are *visible* but not the *reason* for the pic is great.

Thank you for no shirtless pics. Most guys your age can't resist putting them on their profile. You are handsome, put up a smiling headshot pic. Get rid of the locker room one. It's so blurry and we can't really see you in it anyway. It just screams "bad photographer" instead of "cute man".

You need to put more effort into your profile. Have a read of the Profile Writing Tips thread (pinned in green at the top of this forum). You want to write a profile that gives the reader a sense of how you live your life. For example:

Instead of: "I love working out" - say something like "Keeping fit is important to me and I go to the gym a couple of times a week. I also like to play beach volleyball on the weekends and enjoy hiking when I get a chance"

Instead of: "driving" - say something like "One of my favourite things to do on the weekend is to get out on the open road and just drive to a random destination. Or a planned destination. Or a great not-well-known picnic spot. Or anywhere really :)"

Instead of: "I'm very artistic, so I enjoy fine arts and theater." - say something like "I'm very artistic, so I enjoy fine arts and theate. Last month I saw the stage performance of xxxxx/I've always wanted to go to New York and see xxxx performed on stage. I have a list of art museums I want to visit and I'm working my way through them!"

Use your own words, of course, but can you see how expanding on your comments creates a picture of your day to day life?

" I want to find someone understanding, sensitive and open minded like me. " What else are you looking for? Should she be interested in the Arts also/educated/career driven/family driven/spontaneous/like to travel/enjoy cooking together/introverted/extroverted????

"If there's something else you want to know about me just ask.". Remove. They know how to use the site. They'll ask if they are interested enough. It comes across as either lazy or needy.
 Indy1017
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 2:39:55 PM
Thank you :) Yeah, I didn't know my tattoo pic was my main photo. I don't know how that happened lol. You just showed me I have a lot to learn. A lot of guys make it look so easy. I'll get to work on new photos soon.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/5/2016 8:05:15 AM
Hola
Soon not good enough, without really good pictures you are going to sink in the waters of POF
Come up with a creative Header ( you say you are artsy)
Add your first name.
Actually write a profile :/ I mean young women get oodles of messages, doubt they have time to message guys
I loathe when ppl say just ask
ok, can you lend me $60,000? Just asking
 Indy1017
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2016 2:20:59 PM
I haven't had too much time to work on pictures because of work. Where I am it's cold. When it warms up I'll have better pictures. Already on the "just ask". And "sink in the waters"? What do you mean?
 xsPuRx
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/5/2016 3:58:41 PM
She means this line:
" If there's something else you want to know about me just ask."

I want to know if you can spare $60,000 my home is in foreclosure?

The line is redundant, because A. You will be messaging them, B when they view your profile what they don't know from reading your profile. They will ask if they are interested. So you don't need this line because it is obvious. In otherwords. They are not likely to read your first message and, then read your profile. and say are you available on friday? They will want to ask you questions, and get to know you. So of course they will ask you something.
 Indy1017
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2016 4:28:04 PM
Thanks for the advice :) Again, other guys make this look easy :(
 xsPuRx
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/5/2016 4:57:12 PM
Well, some guys don't have real intentions and some women are easily manipulated. If your intentions are real. Than all good things take effort. :) That effort doesn't stop once you land the woman either. It is non stop effort. If it was easy. We wouldn't have dating websites .
 Indy1017
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2016 5:03:30 PM
True. :) I may not know any of you personally, but, you're all nice enough to give me good advice. I appreciate it a lot!
 Indy1017
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2018 7:43:40 AM
Hi, I'm back again. So, how does my profile look this time?
 Forums_only
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/24/2018 8:39:53 AM
The orange shirt photo is most eye-catching. The photo you have now is cute, too, but we like to see smiles and bright eyes closer-up.

The written portion (done on your cellphone?) needs a few more descriptive details and you need to capitalize the "I's". Do try and make a couple of little paragraph breaks so it's not one massive wall of words.
 Indy1017
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2018 9:35:50 AM
Descriptive details like?
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/24/2018 10:13:31 AM
I vote for the orange shirt photo as well.
 Indy1017
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2018 10:15:07 AM
So you think I'd get more views with the orange shirt?
 Forums_only
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/24/2018 11:09:00 AM
"descriptive details" like...

I'm a very spiritual person (not necessarily religious). << If you're going to lead with this information, it must be very important to you. What kind of things do you do to be spiritual? ie: yoga, meditation, appreciate nature, attend church regularly... and why. Does this show in your personality as calmness? a positive attitude?

I'm looking for someone broad-minded and down to earth.<< save this for the ending. "Broad minded" meaning what, exactly? Open to learning about the world? Interested in learning about things? Trying new adventures? What does 'down-to-earth' mean to you? It could be anything from laid back to bluntly honest to someone who doesn't stress about little things.

A few hobbies of mine are working out, body building & I like movies (mostly comedy) << that's not a few, that 2. Why do you enjoy working out/body building? Is this a fitness thing for work or more for the focus? Do you try to get out to see a movie a couple of times a month? What are you looking forward to next?

I work at a local country club. << Your stats say you are a housekeeper. Would it be fair to say you work hard and it keeps you in shape? Is there something you especially enjoy about your work? Do you get to meet some interesting people?

I love to live & I love to laugh. << Doesn't everyone? This is a cliche that really means nothing any more and adds nothing to your profile. How about instead, something like : " On the weekends, I like to .... " (spend time with the nieces/nephews? hang out at the park with the dog?)

I was brought up to always treat women with respect. << This should be an automatic thing. Does this mean something specific to you?

I don't have any kids but I have nieces & nephews which I adore. << Your stats say you don't have kids. You could simply say you enjoy spending time with your nieces and nephews and are OK with someone who may have a child(ren) of their own (if it's true).

I love animals, I myself have a dog so if you have an animal this is a bonus. :) << This is a great line. Do you have a picture of you with the dog?

If you want to know anything more about me I'd be happy to fill you in. << You can delete this line, it's assumed

The orange shirt photo is not going to guarantee you more views, but it may make it more likely your initial message will be checked out as you appear quite friendly and approachable. Your call.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Ready to get back in the game :)