Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JJBean21
Msg: 1
A man and his car...Page 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
If a guy that you are meeting for the first time shows up in a junker car that's rusty, dirty, and has 2 hubcaps...would that be a big deal to you? I've had that happen one time and I really didn't know what to think...except that he sure wasn't like other guys who are really into their cars. Can you tell a lot about a man by the car he drives?
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 7:30:16 PM
It would only bother me if it was an indication of every other aspect of his life, eg shabby clothes, garbage in the car, lives in a dodgy area, is unemployed etc.

Personally I'd rather date a man who had an average car and didn't feel the need for something flashy to show off in.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 3
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 7:33:17 PM
JJBean21- I would only have a problem with it if the reason he drove it was because he didn't work.
I drive a beater myself, but that's because I'm frugal and refuse to have a car payment.
It would worry me more if it were filthy, that would indicate someone lazy and their house/apartment would likely look the same and I'm not going to live like that or pick up after a grown up.
My #1 focus is always who they are as a person.
 JJBean21
Msg: 4
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 7:38:07 PM

Personally I'd rather date a man who had an average car and didn't feel the need for something flashy to show off in.

gcdeb---I hear ya. I had a guy meet me at a restaurant and he told me he has a blue BMW. When I got there, he had the top down and was sitting on the back of it looking so cool....one date and done. He was a little too into himself. But the Rusty Jones guy was not materialistic...and his house was also a mess. To me it screamed NO PRIDE. I guess it's all about what we value.
 Stellan77
Msg: 5
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 7:44:32 PM

Can you tell a lot about a man by the car he drives?

Well maybe ask yourself "Can you tell a lot about a woman by the car she drives?" OP, this is a polarized topic if you are only asking for female responses.
 JJBean21
Msg: 6
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 7:52:32 PM
No, not asking for women only to respond. I'd like to hear what men think as well.
 2ufo
Msg: 7
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 8:17:21 PM
Car = junker.
I'd shrug; my newest car is 13 years old, the older is 18; though I am looking at purchasing a 'baby' of only 5 or 6 years.

Car = dirty.
Are we talking inside with fast food wrappers (a turn off for me), old mechanical parts/tool (depends), dog/cat/horse hair (not a problem) or biological hazard (I'm outta there)?
Or are we talking outside (been off-roading lately - that's ok) or a decades worth of rust eating away the car (kind of iffy, do I see the road beneath my feet)?

Car=2 hubcaps.
I truly have never counted hubcaps and I very rarely walk around the vehicle like I'm looking to buy it.

Obviously I can't make a complete judgement on a man by one meeting with his car.
On the other hand, if his dashboard is all lit up with 'maint reqd' or overheating engine, if he speeds excessively or he flinches and looks for an escape every time he hears a siren, then I'm likely to not want to date again.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 8
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 8:22:47 PM
Hmm. Since 1985, I've spent $1900 on the various 4 wheeled vehicles I've owned. (less parts, of course) That, is eight vehicles. Two, I've bought, six were given to me because they weren't doing what they were supposed to. Now, most would expect that I couldn't drive a given vehicle very far. 175,000 miles has been my best, to date. Obviously, I have to fix 'em first. This works because I can do the repairs myself.

Now, driving the vehicles that I've had isn't for those who aren't adventurous. First comes getting them to run and move. (And stop, always an important thing!) Then de-bug them, like clunks, squeaks, and bangs. Then do away with gaping holes, tires that have a week leak, bad wipers, heater fans that don't work, (Because of mice) After a fashion, they turn back into reliable vehicles. Ones that start at -20. Ones that retrieve friends who's vehicle has stranded them, or offered a jump to a total stranger. A new scratch or dent? Oh well, just matches the five others it had already. A wet muddy dog or something dirty in it? Not a problem. Then, occasionally, the previous owner sees it still moving down the road. "Oh it was always a good vehicle!" I hear. If it was, then why did you give it to me? Maybe if you fixed it, you'd still drive it.

No, it hurt your feelings because it wasn't purdy anymore. Yes, it's just an old car. But I have a great deal of pride in it, because I brought back from the dead. It's my skills that keeps it going. No one can take that away from me.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 9
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 9:57:39 PM

shows up in a junker car that's rusty, dirty, and has 2 hubcaps

That should certainly raise an eyebrow. He could have an excuse, that his real car's in the shop but he's borrowing the "in case of" car, or his son/daughter's car, and was pulling in, hoping you wouldn't see him in it. Then, it should be no big deal.

I've had that happen one time and I really didn't know what to think

I think you knew what to think. :)

This isn't as general as the car he drives -- it's about whether he's driving a run-down junk car as The car he drives.

Now, someone could be driving a decent car but only have 2 hubcaps. I don't think that's a big deal. You noticing this indicates that you care too much about what a guy drives. :)

It being dirty on the outside -- that's hasty judgment there. People are going to be driving around thru muck and you can catch them at a bad time. They're not necessarily going to go metro on their cars. :)

It being rusty -- and/or a "junker car" -- is the only concept that should be of your concern. If he's driving a 1996 Taurus but it's in nice shape, makes no noise pulling in, no rust, etc. Ce la vie. Maybe he doesn't drive much, or wasn't driven much and he kept it from a dead parent who in their senior years never drove, etc. No sense in being posh. Cars are just a method of transportation, that's it. But yeah, if it's a junker car -- rust, hanging muffler, makes too much noise, etc -- and that's The car he drives... yeah, he's struggling to make ends meet in his life in his 30s+.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 10
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 10:02:32 PM
A nice car would be awesome. An average car would be okay. A 10-year-old Honda Accord would be sweet. Please, don't show up in a taped-up 30-year old car. Thank you.
 Like2dance
Msg: 11
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 10:16:41 PM
A fellow I know drives his plug-in car (which gives him carpool lane access on his long commutes) on first dates from the internet. He tells me many of these women badger him about why he is driving such a car. This he finds is usually a red flag. If they continue to press him about his economic status the first date is also the the last date. He is worth a lot; he owns a couple of multi-million dollar houses, expensive cars and the like. He has learned to be cautious!
 geekgrrrl
Msg: 12
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 10:37:18 PM
I love old cars. I can't think of a better way to get to know someone then working on a car together. I've fixed up a few. It's so much fun.
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 13
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/6/2016 11:58:31 PM

If a guy that you are meeting for the first time shows up in a junker car that's rusty, dirty, and has 2 hubcaps...would that be a big deal to you?

If a guy that you are meeting for the first time shows up in a Rolls-Royce, would you be asking this question?

I hate cars, and I couldn't care less what kind of car she drives.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 14
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 1:01:01 AM
I am assuming you turned up in your own car for a first meet. He may not have any money or taste and I think it would be a turn off for me. Turning up in a rusty, dirty car is extreme. Who cant afford a nice second car in reasonable condition? Especially at his age. Would he expect you to ride in it?? Pass..
'
 LJane_6
Msg: 15
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 1:31:08 AM
I probably wouldn't care if I really liked the guy. As long as the car was safe to drive and he had one (no car would bother me if he expected me to drive his a** around). I also drive a beater, and I agree with others who say they prefer a modest guy with a beater over a show-off in a flashy car.
 Kay9876
Msg: 16
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:03:50 AM

If a guy that you are meeting for the first time shows up in a junker car that's rusty, dirty, and has 2 hubcaps...would that be a big deal to you?

I’d make a mental note of it and use the information in context with everything else I learn about him. If, for example, he is driving an old car in order to become debt free, then I’m 100% supportive. As long as the car is reliable, I’d think he is following a great financial plan.

If the integrity of the rest of his life mirrors the state of his vehicle, I would lose interest. I want a man who has his act together. That’s attractive to me.

For me, being debt free, in and of itself, isn’t a worthy goal. It's important to be debt free with a balanced life and positive values. I’m as turned off by wealthy misers who drive junker cars and show-offs who drive (out of their income range) expensive vehicles as I am by the undisciplined.
 chetah
Msg: 17
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:39:32 AM
He was testing you to see if you were after him or his money. His Jag was home in the garage. LOL
 Whisky_River
Msg: 18
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:56:47 AM
I seldom pay attention to the car my dates have on a first meet. If they are a car guy...or out to impress me with what they drive, a few have pointed their vehicle out, while walking back to mine.
As the song says..."That don't impress me much"....!!
Driving an older car doesn't have to mean broke or cheap....or...driving a brand new car means he's well to do and fluent.
I have been with men that of both mindsets.
I have to chuckle....my late husband was mechanically inclined and had a thing for VW's...my gawd, he bought this fixer upper.
A VW station wagon....because it was cheap on gas for commuting to work..it was BRIGHT ORANGE.
Didn't bother him to drive it....I had to once....I was embarrassed...lol.
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 6:25:45 AM

I’d make a mental note of it and use the information in context with everything else I learn about him.

I agree with this. I think it depends on what else you learn about someone. Some people really aren't into cars or view them as a tool to get from point a to b. Or they could afford a new car but can't be bothered to deal with sales people. Who know.

I like the cabin of my car to be relatively clean (I'm not so disciplined about washing the outside. I don't ride on the hood) and I like a clean house, so the combination of a dirty car and a dirty house may put me off a bit, though. But that's just me. I definitely don't make any assumptions about someone's financial standing based on what they drive or other material posessions. That's actually one of the most foolish things you can do.

A fellow I know drives his plug-in car (which gives him carpool lane access on his long commutes) on first dates from the internet. He tells me many of these women badger him about why he is driving such a car. This he finds is usually a red flag. If they continue to press him about his economic status the first date is also the the last date. He is worth a lot; he owns a couple of multi-million dollar houses, expensive cars and the like. He has learned to be cautious!

This is funny to me because manufacturers tend to charge a premium for plug-ins, especially if they are based on gasoline engines cars.
 Cycling99
Msg: 20
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 7:04:26 AM
This is not about the car: is it about possessions? Do you care the square footage of his home? If he rents or owns? Brand of watch? I know women that look at men's jewelry or clothes to determine if they want to go out with him. Does he have the "right" shoes?

I met a woman that had an old car with 2 hubcaps: dirty inside too. She was lovely and intelligent: just didn't want to waste time dealing with the car. For her the car was like a hammer: just a tool.

If you show up with a 30 year old car, I would probably offer you money for it. It maybe a great little project...
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 7:12:22 AM
sure it does. A car that a man hasn't put any care into the tools he uses in life proves...

...he doesn't care a lot about that car. maybe he's like me and inherited it so he's running it into the ground while he puts together a real toy of a car. Perhaps he's got it all pimped out b/c he doesn't own a house to dress up with flower gardens. perhaps its an expensive car b/c he needs to show off. Perhaps its practical yet maintained, like his clothes. we treat the tools in our lives, a certain way. if we're embarrassed about what that says about us...then its not the fault of others'.
 south_city
Msg: 22
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 7:16:48 AM
The most important thing is the car is able to get from point A to B and back to A. Maybe he has another car that is nice and he uses an old / beat up car to save the nice car from wear and tear. Or he prefers to invest more of his money into other things like house repairs and improvements.
 Cdan1957
Msg: 23
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 7:57:35 AM
I drive a Lexus, I am in my car a minimum of 2 hours a day. I have all the toys, blue tooth, GPS and on and on, my comfort is important to me. The most important thing is getting from A to B but I will be damned if I am spending 2 hours a day in a POS. I would be lying if I said my first impression of a person wasn't influenced by what they drive. It is a compilation of many things from what they drive to what they wear to how they treat people. If a woman pulled up in an old poorly maintained car on a first meet....not a good start.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 24
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 8:02:51 AM
I hate to sound stereotypical but many a times your car is a reflection of how you carry yourself and life.

Many Subaru drivers are very outdoorsy, very liberal. They may be into kakacing, cycling, back packing, trecking, etc.

Then you look at the guy with the muscle car. He is probably republican, loves fast motorcycles as well, watches a lot of football, etc.

Then take that super junked up car with duct tape. I work with a guy like that. He is IT, very smart. His office looks like a junkyard of computers boxes, old bags of some lunch or value dinner. His beard stinks so you don't want to work a problem in your computer with him looking over your shoulder. Yet the guy is totally sweet, cares for every body and not only does a great job, he's practically a genius.

Take then the old hippy. This person may drive an old Volvo, VW, Nissan, Subaru, it may be messy, full of stickers, probably feels the bern, yet at home has a brand spanking new Prius, and has solar cells on top of his house.

I for instance drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's not a 4x4 because I do not go into mud. But I do need the ability to transport gear and bikes and park in gravel areas. I keep it clean, the inside may have a paper napkin here or there. I keep portable chairs in the back, but the trucks is usually very clean.
 cassie2425
Msg: 25
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 8:07:35 AM
^^^^ I have to agree with the above. I like cars and have had many in all shapes, colours and price ranges. Right now I have a 2016 Ford Escape. The damn thing handles almost as well as the BMW I had 15 years ago. I like speed and I like to be comfortable and my car is maintained and generally neat and tidy inside. I have never dated a guy that had a vehicle older than 4 or 5 years. I also have friends who like to tinker...one friend just bought a brand new Ford 250 all loaded up and he's also working on a beauty of a 1960-something Chevelle, its gorgeous.

I like guys who like cars, one way or another. If some guy showed up in an old beat up clunker, I'd wonder. If he showed up in a classic car like that Chevelle or an old Mustang or a GTO - sweet.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...