Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > My Assessment of the Psychic / Intuitive      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 1
view profile
History
My Assessment of the Psychic / IntuitivePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I tried messaging a single mom in here a week ago, and nothing - tried again earlier this afternoon, and she replies this evening explaining she was a psychic intuitive, and basically gave me her glowing, positive 'reading' of my personality and a detailed fortune for the future - along with a rejection. I accepted her reply gracefully, even though I didn't ask (or need) a reading.

I have friends who claim to be psychic intuitives. I say 'claim' because I realize the wishy-washy basis of anyone who claims anything extra-sensory. Now, to be clear about this stuff - it's not about voodoo or faith healers. It's not about people who talk to ghosts (for the most part). It's not about empaths who believe they can feel emotions through other people.

Psychic intuitives believe their 'power' comes in the form of an instant insight - a 'flash' of emotion or something extra-sensory that tells them about a person. They believe that, like a muscle, the more you exercise this 'insight', the more developed and sharper it will be.

I know very little about the PI woman who messaged me today, but she seemed to fit the description of the PI women I do know - they are attractive, keep in shape, have kids, have jobs (usually not very good ones), and are devout parents and friends and in most ways seems to be very functional in society. What they suck at - is romantic relationships. A seemingly endless stream of the nearly identical type of men flash in and out of their dating lives and they are lucky to maintain anything beyond a few weeks. Their ego always seems to be hanging by the slimmest thread of positivity, and anything negative makes them want to cut and run without hesitation.

What I believe these PI women are doing that is their dating downfall - is that they spend way too damn much time searching the 'ether' for their intuition, and can't seem to focus in the present - on the guy that's right across the table from them. Once you have a guy's attention, you gotta stay in the here and now to communicate with them. Instead, I keep hearing stories of how the guy lost patience and flipped out, or shockingly 'turned' his behavior into something wrong. There's not a lot of self-introspection. Their kids tell stories about how Mom is great when she is 'there', but when she disconnects, it's hopeless to get things done.

The lady that messaged me tonight - I really have a hard time buying into the idea that she would have any clue how to read me. We never spoke in-person, we've never even met, and yet she believes she can 'read' that we are not a match AND can tell my fortune from just a profile and a couple of dating website texts? I could have been lying my azz off about everything I said. I feel there's a point when that 'intuition' interrupts all manners of logic and normal reasoning and people are jumping to instant conclusions and outcomes without so much as considering the possibility of reality.

I'm curious to know what you think of people who claim to have these abilities. Do people use it as a coping mechanism for fear? Do you think they use it as a way to explain what most would consider an ADD/HD type of condition? Obviously I'm a skeptic - I won't outright deny that some psychic abilities may exist - but I don't think this group of desperate dating housewives all share the exact same magical power. I also don't believe that exercising this psychic 'muscle' helps in ANY way to keep a current relationship running. At a certain point, it's a distraction, not a direction.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
My Assessment of the Psychic / Intuitive
Posted: 4/8/2016 2:25:00 PM
I don't think you qualify as a skeptic, even remotely, Danimal. You are flat out aggressively hostile to even the suggestion that someone can be "psychic/intuitive." Skeptic implies a more neutral attitude and approach to a subject.

Your list of possible explanations for why someone would claim this, shows up your hostility quite clearly. All your "appreciations" are entirely negative, assuming some fundamental and serious defect in the person.

Now. As to the question of "psychic" and or "intuitive" claims. First off, they are functionally different things, in most usages of the words. To me especially, but for most people I know, "intuitive" refers less to anything magical, than it does to being receptive to and aware of, multiple levels of one's own observations, and thought streams, and deductive reasonings.

This kind of "intuitive" behavior, CAN be developed and refined through practice and discipline. A person can train themselves to be more observant, as well as to recognize the difference between what they WISH were true, and what they actually observe. And one can learn to reason more logically and successfully, by a number of routes.

I personally suspect that some people who think they are "psychic," are actually doing this sort of observation and reasoning, without realizing it, and for whatever reason, attribute it to magic.

As to actual psychic stuff. That comes under the heading of "not currently recognized as having a scientific explanation. Since I am an Historian, I know that there have been lots of things which we today take for granted as being natural phenomenon, or even normal human abilities, which were in the past seen as indications of divinity or even demonic possession. Hence the fact that something is not currently seen as possible, doesn't mean that it isn't. My own attitude towards such things is, for pure practicality, that unless it is imperative to decide whether it's real or not, I leave it in my "maybe, maybe not" mental bin.

As to the particular woman who triggered you to post this, I hesitate to guess about her, since you have been so intensely one-sided in your description of events. But she might be a good example of a larger common human behavior I have observed, wherein the well-intentioned effort to organize a complicated set of concerns, actually ends up causing the person pursuing wisdom, to blind themselves with their own "solution." Once they apply names to everything, and arrange "categorization machinery" (usually virtual, in the form of philosophical concepts), when new data arrives, instead of reading it for what it is, they leap to reassure themselves that their magnificent organized and labeled system is confirmed, instead. Religious people do it, scientists do it, Historians do it, and people who want to believe in non-scientific things do it.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2016 3:03:41 PM

But she might be a good example of a larger common human behavior I have observed, wherein the well-intentioned effort to organize a complicated set of concerns, actually ends up causing the person pursuing wisdom, to blind themselves with their own "solution."

I'm jealous. Thank you. One sentence sums up my rambling paragraphs train of thought very succinctly. Probably why I will never be an editor.

Religious people do it, scientists do it, Historians do it, and people who want to believe in non-scientific things do it.

Very true. Humans are miserable creatures of habit, and once we find a pattern that 'works', we stick to it - and rarely jump off that train of thought - even when we know the cliff is up ahead.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/8/2016 7:33:43 PM
Psychics give readings without asking. I remember sitting at a bar next to a psychic lady who turned to me and gave me a reading, told me my late grandmother's name. And other things...
But it's probably not a good idea to do it on pof.
 hemingway234
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/9/2016 6:58:22 AM
It might be better if you write a lady only one time. You might want to google the term "nice guy".
 no_1_bby
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2016 7:34:14 AM

I'm curious to know what you think of people who claim to have these abilities.

People know things that can't always be explained. Some refer to it as "gut instinct" when it's not focused or well-developed. I stopped listening to my "gut instinct" years ago and it caused a LOT of problems for me. I listen more closely now.

Do people use it as a coping mechanism for fear?

Fear? As in self-preservation? Sure, I'm certain some do.

Do you think they use it as a way to explain what most would consider an ADD/HD type of condition?

How so?

Obviously I'm a skeptic - I won't outright deny that some psychic abilities may exist - but I don't think this group of desperate dating housewives all share the exact same magical power. I also don't believe that exercising this psychic 'muscle' helps in ANY way to keep a current relationship running. At a certain point, it's a distraction, not a direction.

I've gotten quite good at filtering out people that I don't feel would be a good match for me. I don't go all woo-woo on them, but I definitely listen to my instincts.

I am empathic to degree. I don't see auras like many that I know, but I feel a person's vibration. The whole world vibrates (energy) to me, and sometimes the vibrations are off...not their usual/normal pattern or frequency. I can't explain it anymore than that. Oddly enough, I can't get a read on my partner, and he can't get a read on me.
 carolann0308
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2016 9:58:41 AM
The PI thing was just a coverup to let you down easy, she probably read your posting history. LOL
 sun___flower
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2016 7:29:04 AM
It sounds as if she was well-intentioned - she gave you a variation on "you seem like a great guy but I'm afraid we're not a match."
 2ufo
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/16/2016 7:01:26 PM
Sometimes it's easier to 'blame' the universe or fate or previous lives than to take responsibility for an action - including rejecting someone.

I'm not a skeptic. I've experienced psychic phenom and poltergeistic activity, seen balls of fire in the sky and ghosts, experimented with a form of telepathy, meditated until I SAW music (synesthesia). But, all of that has very little to do with forming and continuing a loving relationship. Like anything else that people can get fixated on or obsessed with, it can take up all your time. At it's foundation, psychic intuition is a solitary game.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/30/2016 8:01:03 AM
Sounds like she's renting space in your head.

The Force is strong with this one...

Off topic, there's this stray cat that keeps coming on my patio and staring at me with much intensity. Not a nice look either.

I don't know if it's trying to send me a message or not :(
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/2/2016 7:35:50 AM
Sweet Danimal, Your frustration /desperation is showing. Don't sweat it. It was a rejection wrapped in a pretty package, that's it.

The issue here is not, who or what or why, or how's come?

I tried messaging a single mom in here a week ago, and nothing - tried again earlier this afternoon, and she replies this evening explaining ..................................

?You tried? or you DID? (When you tap the button, and near the top of your page it tells you, your message was sent, and shows in the SENT page, trust me, your message was sent.
?tried again? or you DID? (same as above)

The issue here is not, how's come............?

My experience from OLD. IF I did not feel a sense of interest from a first message, AND by the pics AND by the profile, I simply deleted and moved on. No guilt trippin', no lookin' over my shoulder. Done.
IF I got a 2nd message, same guy, "tappin' on my shoulder, I blocked.

I surely did not spend my time typin' out a message, claiming to have psychic powers, or any other powers.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/2/2016 1:41:31 PM

I think a small percentage of them may have higher abilities than the average person, but I also think most of them are just full of it.
Which is why we have yet to see the headline, "Psychic wins multi-Million dollar lottery".

I feel there's a point when that 'intuition' interrupts all manners of logic and normal reasoning

Actually, real "intuition" follows all manners of logic and normal reasoning.
Because all manners of logic and normal reasoning are not always what they seem to be.
Because the "intuition" reveals to you that which you cannot see, and that which you CAN see is what most people base their logic and normal reasoning on, which turns out to be misplaced if they are relying on a faulty perception based on what they can see.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 2:26:58 PM

I personally suspect that some people who think they are "psychic," are actually doing this sort of observation and reasoning, without realizing it, and for whatever reason, attribute it to magic.

I totally agree. But to DAnimal's point, I think people will put too much stock in this, and become too know-it-all and be "over steering the wheel" so to speak... so you'll get a gal saying she's psychic-intuitive not off body language, but a couple messages and a profile to see his future. :)

The PI thing was just a coverup to let you down easy

Yep, that's a possibility. She probably thinks she's PI and all, but, is using it as a means to let him down easier. Although if she was truly PI and knew he'd be WTF in a post about it, she probably wouldn't have gone that route. :)
 dreamon4u
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/4/2016 5:18:36 AM
I paid a psychic for a reading and we spent the first 10 minutes discussing my second husband. She just would not believe I had only been married once, never had a live relationship. The worst are the ones that's see dead people. The ones that should be shot are the faith healers.
 Maleman999
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/4/2016 10:00:47 AM

...basically gave me her glowing, positive 'reading' of my personality and a detailed fortune for the future

That's one of the tricks of the trade. Tell someone how wonderful they are and use a lot of positive, nice adjectives, and everyone will say "That describes me exactly. The psychic is for real." OP: have any of the future predictions happen yet, or is it something that will happen eons away? When somebody get a reading where future predictions are made, I wonder how much people sub-consciously alter their behavior to make those predictions come true.

If you got a glowing, positive reading of your personality, why would she give you a rejection as well-especially if you found her on a dating site? Isn't that what every woman is after? It looks like you dodged a bullet.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2016 12:30:25 PM
Not sure if being a single parent had anything to do with this?

She thinks she is psychic... why rain on her parade?

I personally prefer voodoo.
 UtterAmazement
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/19/2016 12:46:17 PM

I dunno....I arrested a psychic for shoplifting once...I asked her if she couldn't see it coming. She wasn't amused.

I did answer a domestic call years ago where the old woman was reputed to be a voodoo priestess. Had all kinds of animal skulls and what not hanging on the porch and in the house. Told the old guy to leave...she said not to worry about it...he'd be a toad by daybreak anyway. Everytime I see a toad now....hmm.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/19/2016 12:49:12 PM
If everyone was turned into a toad for a day, but they didn't know it would only be for a day .... do you think they'd sweat the small stuff as much after becoming a human again ?
 UtterAmazement
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/19/2016 1:10:37 PM

If everyone was turned into a toad for a day, but they didn't know it would only be for a day .... do you think they'd sweat the small stuff as much after becoming a human again ?

I don't know. I suspect a lot of it would depend upon whether you were a tall toad or a short toad...a Tues toad or a Sat toad... maybe even if a 4 toad or a 9 toad. So many factors determine the quality of a toad's life it's hard to say. ;)
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/19/2016 1:23:07 PM
^^^^ Good point , I was assuming being a toad would be worse than being human

Does that make me a rabid anti toadite ?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/19/2016 3:24:32 PM

Does that make me a rabid anti toadite ?

Next your gonna say they should have their own schools.

MY assessment:

The day I see the headline "Psychic Wins Two 300 Million Dollar Lotteries in a Row", I will be convinced.
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/5/2016 6:06:00 AM
I had a sister-in-law claimed to a psychic

also forgot to pay her light bill

ended up sitting in the dark
 MD_Orl
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/8/2016 3:12:30 PM

This is actually quite frightening when you think about it, a bunch of toads all sitting around waiting to change back...one of them might sit on me.

The last think I want to be thought of as on a dating site is a toadstool.

(OK, hit me) :)
 BeyondtheMatrix
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/3/2016 7:54:12 PM

What I think about people who 'claim' anything is of no relevance to them or anyone else. It won't help anyone. It won't change anything. It is basically meaningless, as to what I think of them.

However, in 1992 I went to see a psychic medium in Swiss Cottage, London, a man by the name of Don Galloway. He didn't have so much as my first name, only "two o'clock appointment." That's all he had. Nothing else. That doesn't even add up to what sceptics are eager to call cold reading.

He described to me, within about thirty seconds of sitting down, something that my dead mother's brother (Peter) wanted me to know, even though we had never met. (He died before I was born.) He described a course of action that has subsequently come true in my life, to the letter, and at the end of that piece of information Don related to me how this gentleman died. Don said: "He's telling me that he died in a ship under the sea." Turns out he died in a submarine in the English Channel during WW2. He also told me something about my mother (his sister) that I didn't know, something so profound and so personal that it shakes me even now, 24 years later. For anyone to 'guess' something like that would be odds in the millions.

Don Galloway died a couple of years ago. In my opinion he was one of the finest psychic mediums and healers in the Greater London area. He was a native Yorkshireman who touched the lives of many people. I am thankful to have met him. I urge anyone who has the opportunity to read his autobiography, Inevitable Journey. Don 'fought' against his powerful psychic abilities for the first 30 years of his life, until an incident one night in a Spiritualists' church changed his mind. It was then he began to accept the inevitable journey. And what a journey.

Good luck with everything.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/3/2016 10:06:52 PM
Some folks think that because dogs poop in a north to south direction, that there must be a supernatural influence.

No so much.

There's a scientific explanation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/watching-them-poop-researchers-discover-that-dogs-can-sense-which-way-is-north/2014/01/26/26f7f85e-83ae-11e3-bbe5-6a2a3141e3a9_story.html
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > My Assessment of the Psychic / Intuitive