Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Boys wearing dresses at school.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 1
Boys wearing dresses at school. Page 1 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
Recently I attended an Open Day at the local High School.

Among the other displays for the public to view, there was one addressing the issue of sexuality and campaigning for the right for boys to wear the school uniform dress if they so wish.

Note: Here in Australia, all high school students have to wear school uniform..... (although there may be a few exceptions of which I'm unaware.) Over here, high School students are aged 12/13 to 17/18 years old.

What I'm asking is, what is everyone's opinions on boys (or I should say male students) having the right to, and choosing to, wear a dress without being discriminated against?
 Onyx49
Msg: 2
Boys wearing dresses at school.
Posted: 4/10/2016 5:10:55 PM
There should be no tolerance for such nonsense !!!

I believe in letting boys be boys...the ones that are confused about who they are...who better to serve opposition then their peers ?
If the school has a policy in place for such...then sure...let em...but if not, don't change it.

I really really...have a problem with children addressing this issue...where are their parents...or should I say the single mom, who didn't subject them to a positive male influence...and encouraged sissified conduct...
 cassie2425
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:38:14 PM
^^^^ You do know that for every single mom there is a man who doesn't give a shit about his children. There are gazillion men out there that don't give a shit where their sperm lands and if it creates an offspring. And then bully's like you get all up tight and hap about single mothers.....go talk to your idiot fvcking brothers.

BTW, In a perfect world a child created by two is raised by two. But it sure doesn't work out that way.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:42:35 PM
When I hear a boy who's willing to wear a school uniform dress, I'll have an opinion on it.

The only time I saw anything like it is when I saw a band of musicians walking into our local Catholic church for a wedding, and they were wearing green plaid kilts. One of them was a young boy, and he was very unhappy about having to wear his kilt, and as I was sitting on a bench while they were passing by, I heard him murmur, "This is embarrassing!"
 cassie2425
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:53:27 PM
OMG, kilts are hot. Ever go to the Highland Games, muscled up guys in kilts....awesome.

I was at a funeral on Friday, retired policeman, they piped him in. Guys in kilts are hot.
 Onyx49
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:05:04 PM
Kilts...although look ridiculous...are acceptable for men to wear under appropriate circumstances, certainly not beyond that...the OP, was talking about boys wearing dresses
assigned to girls as part of the school uniform which is an absurd notion....
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:25:21 PM
I prefer a hyper masculine man. You know... Doesn't shower much, tells me to bring him a beer while lifting his ass cheek to fart, only emotions are anger and horny, slaps me around when I'm out of line... That sort of thing.
 Maleman999
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:34:49 PM
It must be really awkward for a boy to use a urinal in the boys' washroom if wearing a dress/skirt.
 cassie2425
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:54:15 PM
^^^ You do know that a man can pee in toilet, right?

High school is where we learn, not just math and science but we learn about ourselves, each other, girl stuff/boy stuff, our first crush, this month we are Goth and next month we are preppie. We learn boundaries, social skills, develope our personalities, spread out wings, taste the world. So you can put them in a straight jacket or let them soar. They all figure it out eventually.
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2016 8:10:44 PM
Anyone my age who remembers that girls had to wear dresses/skirts to school, really to just about any function? Not only could girls not wear any kind of pants, but no one could wear jeans of any sort. So I see this as the same thing when girls started wearing pants to school. I wore pants to a school play one time, I had to sit all the way in the back and that was after a long discussion between some male school staff wanted to send me home but they didn't dare since the school had already met my father and his attitude of if he paid for it, I was going to wear it. My dad could be a pretty nasty street fighter that most people did not want to some up against. Before the pants, I'd gotten old books (we had to buy them) and my father promptly took them back and demanded I get new ones, I wore the first plastic skirt, and I wore a short skort, a double whammy since mini length was not allowed and shorts even if they looks like a skirt were not allowed. I don't know how much of that was my dad giving a crap about what I liked and wanted to wear (I really wasn't a rebel about it) or if you simply did not cross my father.

But anyway, I'm surprised that it took this long for boys to want to wear skirts/dresses. I'm sure a lot of it right now is from Will Smith's son, and I think his kids are stupid, but who cares, let them wear them. It's only clothes.
 gcdeb
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2016 1:15:40 AM
This doctrine of men can't wear dresses is a societal imposed doctrine. Plenty of cultures where it's not unusual for men to wear dresses, although I guess that depends on how you define a "dress". It's ridiculous really. As a female student, and later the parent of one, it always bugged the heck out of me that girl's (at most schools) aren't allowed to wear shorts and long pants as part of their regular uniform. So much more comfortable and practical than dresses. I recall a particularly cold winter here a few years ago where the parents of the local school had to protest in order to prevent their daughters being sent home for wearing long pants to keep warm. Given my strong views on girls not being restricted I would feel like a hypocrite if I had a different stance on what boys could wear.

If someone could explain the logic to me of why boys have to dress differently, apart from not wanting them to be "sissified" I might change my opinion.

Having said that, I seriously doubt that the general public is ever going to embrace boys being allowed, let alone encouraged, to wear dresses to school. It's a custom that is just too entrenched in our society.
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/11/2016 2:00:05 AM
Your thought process on this topic is very deep, gcdeb.

It's interesting that schools these days now allow the girls to wear long pants in the cold weather. Most girls choose to wear them all year round. When I was at school we still had to wear our dress or a winter skirt and thick stockings to keep warm. A skirt or dress made no difference against the chilling winds though.

Having said that, I seriously doubt that the general public is ever going to embrace boys being allowed, let alone encouraged, to wear dresses to school. It's a custom that is just too entrenched in our society.

Agreed.
 Onyx49
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/11/2016 4:02:42 AM
Usually women agree with anything to sissy up and water down their boys...!!!
If women had their way...they would create schools and classes on how to sissify and emasculate their boys, these things
just don't exist in a male run household....women and chirren are kept in line......
 chinook1111
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/11/2016 5:56:42 AM
IIRC,if a man wears a dress in Italy the police throw him in jail.

I really hope this gender blending goes away.
 cassie2425
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/11/2016 6:13:22 AM
^^^^. How has this effected you in Calgary? Here in Edmonton I don't see it anywhere. It seems to be a non issue here, no mention on the news, no big hubbub at City Hall, no message from the Premier. I can go to West Edmonton Mall or Holts, or Blu's (and WalMart) and I'm not run over by men wanting to buy dresses and pantyhose. Hell, I was at WalMart yesterday and nothing....that place is usually crawling with the odd balls. So...you think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
 chinook1111
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/11/2016 7:37:33 AM
^^^^
My concern is for the vulnerable children.The educators want to mess with their heads before eight.....

If a guy wants to dress up,wear a wig and lipstick,then go out after dark and make somebody happy,I don't care.Apparently they do a smokin' job.

Lou Reed
They Only Go Out At Night.
 gtomustang
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:06:02 AM
Australian school uniforms, I remember that from the movie Walkabout--Jenny Agutar looked good in and out of one :)

I went to a Catholic school, they had us wear uniforms so that we wouldn't be a distraction from each other while focusing on what was important--schoolwork, not Mary Joe's bodacious ta-tas. Would a lad in a kilt be a distraction in school? maybe that's the counter argument, weak as it is.
 daynadaze
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:14:24 AM
"gender bending" has been going on since there have been humans, it's not likely going away. And while there have been many laws against such things, (someone always thinks they can force people to be just like they are), it will always go on. How, exactly, is it harming you?
 Onyx49
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/11/2016 9:15:47 AM
I just saw a story about over in New Jersey...the school district is at battle with the LGTB, community over...Transgender teenagers using their choice of bathrooms in schools.

It's never Transgender females wanting to use men's bathrooms...always the guys and it's always guys that oppose it !

So be it !!!!
 deetristate
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/11/2016 9:18:57 AM
To your point,Onyx, I have heard women actually say that they want their sons to be gay. Sad. I have never heard a straight or gay man say that.

Some girls protested that they didn't want boys in the bathroom. No one cared.

Any boy who wants to wear a dress to school is seeking attention. Any parent sending a boy child to school in a dress unless it it ancient or traditional Greek, roman or Africa day is seeking attention. Hopefully there is a school psychologist on duty.

And no, it doesn't affect me. But everything isn't about me. We encouraged single motherhood and absolve seed droppers of responsibility. See what that got us. That doesn't affect me either. But I can have an opinion.

And I agree with whoever said that men need to stop dropping babies all over. But, also, women need to stop allowing it. Both need to do better. Over and over again baby daddies. Enough already.
 Coma_White
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2016 12:09:54 PM

Nobody stands out to be bullied by peers. A boy wearing a dress will actively be singled out and bullied more than likely.

So basically, blame the victim instead of blaming the bad students that bully anyone that's different? Shouldn't their parents get involved and teach them not to be bullies? They're going to eventually be part of a society where people don't wear uniforms. There will be blacks, whites, straight people, gay people, transgendered people, Christians, Muslims, atheists, etc. Eventually, they have will have to learn manners and how not to be a rude piece of crap toward other people.
 Stellan77
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/11/2016 12:47:36 PM

Based on Deuteronomy 22:5 in the Bible ("The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man"), some groups, including the Amish, Hutterites, some Mennonites, some Baptists, a few Church of Christ groups, and most Orthodox Jews, believe that women should not wear trousers, but only skirts and dresses.

In 1919, Luisa Capetillo challenged mainstream society by becoming the first woman in Puerto Rico to wear trousers in public. Capetillo was sent to jail for what was then considered to be a crime, but, the judge later dropped the charges against her.

In Sudan, Article 152 of the Memorandum to the 1991 Penal Code prohibits the wearing of "obscene outfits" in public. This law has been used to arrest and prosecute women wearing trousers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trousers#United_States

It also used to be seen as equally unacceptable for a woman to wear pants. In some countries, it still is unacceptable. It would have been seen as "gender bending." Who knows, maybe in the future men will be able to wear dresses without being ridiculed.
 Coma_White
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2016 1:08:42 PM

It's not a case of blaming the victim it's a case of not actively wishing to become a victim and expecting the world to be nice !

I might wish to dress up in heels and walk to the petrol garage at 3am in the morning but my common sense probably tells me that I should not place myself in situations that warrant bad attention.

Of course there's common sense, but social change can't happen unless people challenge the status quo. People used to think that black people and white people shouldn't go to school together. Women can get flogged in certain countries for wearing pants today. The reason why there's bullying is because anyone that does something different than the "hurr durr zombie mode auto pilot" everyone else is engaged in stands out. It's completely different than a woman in heels walking down an empty street in the middle of the night. One is an example of social norms and the other is an example of street smarts and public safety.
 Coma_White
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2016 2:06:55 PM

Well if you would like to carry the torch for social change coma then go ahead and do so! I would like to enjoy my life and can't be bothered taking up a banner for everyone who is different in some way in the world! Especially if it doesn't concern me and that gives me a far better simplistic life as you can't please everyone all of the time!

And usually if you start prioritising the needs of one group the other groups then get jealous that they are not being prioritised and so it never stops people just get too jealous!

No actually it would be a case of safety a guy here wearing a dress! To school

You can't compare a school to a dark alley at night. A school has an obligation for provide a safe environment for the children. The parents of those children are entrusting this institution to provide adequate and safe services for them. I don't think the same parents would send their kids down dark alleys at night by themselves.
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/11/2016 2:37:01 PM
Being out of the school system for quite some time now (my youngest child left school four years ago) it will be interesting to find out how many other schools are also campaigning for the social acceptance of guys wearing a dress to school. I have a feeling it generally won't go down too well for fear of bullying.

As one poster said; if he wants to wear a dress, let him do so on the weekends or after school.

Sure, the majority makes it hard for the minority but that's the case with many things in life.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Boys wearing dresses at school.