Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Helping improve my profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tennistown
Msg: 3
Helping improve my profilePage 1 of 1    

So i'm a guy who's had little to no success on dating sites

I consider myself a Professional in the art of Banter

IDK that you can pronounce yourself
to be a Professional Banterer
then squeak out, just four little factoids.

Your whole "About Me" is a mere 9 lines.
I was expecting some serious spewage from you!
Especially with "creative writing" as an interest.

So, I recommend writing much more.
Or, reduce your role of expectation in banter,
to be much less, than a full professional.

You have two unflattering pictures
that might work on BookFace,
but not here.

The crammed in the back of the van photo.
Nobody had the time to play "Where's Waldo"
with the pictures in your gallery! We end up
looking at the fat guy behind the steering
wheel. Now, if that's you, forget what I just said.

The tent picture.
Being the shortest man in the gathering
That group picture is not helping you
to kiss the girl. Delete it. Pronto.
Good luck!
 Forums_only
Msg: 4
Helping improve my profile
Posted: 4/21/2016 6:55:07 PM
You definitely need a full length casual shot of just you. No bathroom mirror selfies, for the love of bacon. Sadly, as cute as the camping photo is, I agree it's not helping your case here.

Most of the words you've selected in your Interests field are generic/vanilla. How about instead using specific one or two-word examples for each? ie: instead of Reading, your favourite author, or Gothic Novels. (whatever applies to you) Same for films, travel, food, sports, TV, music - all the usual suspects. Be different!

You are a nice-looking guy with potential but you just don't stand out from the herd. Yet.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/22/2016 1:52:22 AM
Hi Ethan,
I mostly agree with the others. Your main is decent, but lose the bus pic and the camping one, they don't add to the appeal of YOU. A couple more good quality, full length pics wouldn't go amiss.

The headline, interests and about me are pretty dull and generic. You sound like every other 24 year old on here. That is not a good thing. You need to stand out form the crowd. Give her a reason to message YOU rather than the other 9 dudes who messaged her this morning!

Think of this like an ad rather than a CV. We don't want a boring powerpoint presentation, we want a 2 minute TV spot that shows you driving on a coastal road at sunset in an open top car with the wind in your hair.
 Scaretale
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 7:25:23 AM
My thoughts would be...

I liked your pictures the way they were. It's good to show friends around. Now it just looks like you're all alone with your cat. lol.

Your pictures are good, but your profile is pretty darn generic. Really generic. It's not BAD...but it's the same as 99.99% of every other profile on POF. If you're getting action with it, cool...if not, then it's because you are just another fish.

I would offer some suggestions, but you don't really give much to go on. I mean, your big random facts are that you drink tea, and think you have a spirit animal. I guess you're trying to be quirky here, but I think you could do better.

The one remotely interesting thing is toothpaste in your eye, but instead of a story about it, or offering to pick up the tab if anyone can come up with a theory as to how that happened....you say you don't even know how that happened either. lol

What's your typical day like? Think about the girl you want, and write to appeal to that kind of girl. If you're opinionated...let's hear some opinions.

To me, a full re-write is in order. It's hard to give thoughts on a profile like this because you aren't giving the reader anything special.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/22/2016 9:00:51 AM

What can I do besides maybe getting someone to take the shot?

Ethan, You are not the first to mention this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I'm somewhat baffled. You claim to have friends and family, and yet.......not one of them can help you snap a picture for you, of you? You are afraid to ask? I promise it won't hurt. Go for it! Ask someone. anyone to take a few pics of you. Step out side, go ahead you can do it!

GOOD pics, get noticed. After that it's up to you. Your "About Me" write up, is not bad. Better than some.
In your age range, you have a LOT of competition. You have to do or say something to stand out in the crowd.

Good luck!
 Scaretale
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 9:14:06 AM

Yes the about me section has always been tough. I'm really not very good at it haha. I really dont know how to make it stand out.

also, so if friends pics are alright then what sort of ones would work? General consensus seems to be that what I had before wasn't doing me any favors so any pointers on this?

Well everyone has an opinion on things. I know what works for me on PoF. I think your original picture selection was good enough. All you need is 1 or 2 face shots...a body shot...a friends shot...and you're good.

Headline is big too. Pick some movie quotes or song lyrics that you like. Like...for me...I dig Sci fi and horror, so I might put up "I like collect mold, spores, and fungi" because that line from Egon cracks me up in Ghostbusters. Anyone who digs sci fi automatically will know that line, and get me bonus points before they even read my profile. I love 80's, so a fun 80's lyric will do the same.

As for your actual profile...man...like I said, it's hard to even give you ideas, because you don't say anything unique. You look like a cool guy (you like cats after all!)...you just need to pick a few things to talk about in a clever way. Don't try to appeal to everyone...get some personality into it. Lots of humor and mystery that makes someone want to get to know you.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Helping improve my profile