Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Tips for drinking more water      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bamagrl68
Msg: 1
Tips for drinking more waterPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I quit smoking in December and last week I joined a gym. I have already lost 10 pounds and want to loose more.
I asked my friends on facebook for weight loss tips and the vast majority mentioned drinking a lot of water.
The problem is, I don't like it.
I'm doing ok, but forcing myself.
I've tried putting in lemon, but hate that.
I also tried putting in strawberry's and actually love that.
I'm thinking about buying a fruit infusion pitcher.
Does any one have any other ideas to help me like water more?
Are there things that are almost as good as water, but taste better?
Any tips are appreciated. :)
 CaliforniaTiger01
Msg: 2
Tips for drinking more water
Posted: 4/22/2016 2:50:43 AM
I get the 5-gallon water bottles delivered to my door once a month. It's premium stuff and the water cooler/dispenser refrigerates the water and keeps it cold. It tastes excellent and very refreshing.

Also, I keep a 32 oz Gatorade bottle, that I filled with the good water, in my refrigerator. The measurement of the bottle helps me keep track of how much water I drink per day. For instance, if I drink 2 bottles of water in a day, that's 64 oz.

Money well spent.

Do you like tea? Do you like coffee?
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 8:50:00 PM
try some peppermint or wintergreen extract.........just a touch.........maybe a hint of sweetener
 bamagrl68
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/22/2016 9:13:55 PM
todd65111- I love tea.
One thing I have been doing is drinking sweetened beverages with ice, as the ice melts, I don't add more of what I'm drinking, I add more ice, eventually it's mostly water.
 LGL1975
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2016 5:03:21 AM
Grenadine Teisseire. When I stopped drinking beer and pop I would mix a little of that with carbonated water and gradually weened myself off sweetened beverages entirely. I drink only coffee with cream and carbonated water now. No alcohol, no sugar.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:52:17 AM
What do you currently drink the most often?

I used to drink quarts of diet soda every day. I thought I was well hydrated because I drank so much liquid.

Then back in 1998 I got laid off my job and didn't have a lot of money to spend, so I stopped drinking soda and started drinking water.

I discovered I had been chronically dehydrated, drinking more water made a big difference in a couple of things.

Now I drink water often, if I do a lot of cardio it's natural to drink water with that, along with when riding a bike. I usually have a couple of cups of coffee mixed with protein powder in the morning, then after lunch only drink water, once in a while I will have a diet soda.

I don't flavor the water, but I do like to keep some in the fridge so it loses the chlorine taste and smell.
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:40:09 PM
You need to get yourself some Poland spring brand water. That is the best tasting water in my opinion.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/24/2016 11:17:05 PM
dragonbytes- Water tastes the best to me after I brush my teeth and when it's cold.
I make a glass of ice water when I get up. I'm always thirsty then, so I make ice water and drink it until I don't want anymore, usually two glasses. (8 Oz. glasses).
Then, I brush my teeth and drink another glass.
When it's time for lunch, I made a glass of tea or kool aid and do what I said before- Pour it full strength, let the ice melt and keep adding ice until is mostly water.
Then I do the same thing at dinner.
So that's 3 glasses of just water and usually two glasses of either watered down tea or kool aid.
One thing that I am VERY relieved to find is the more I force myself to do this, the more I like it.
I'm hoping that before long, I won't be forcing myself, but enjoying it.
I'm getting there.
 Stellan77
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/13/2016 6:39:56 PM
Your body has a natural thirst mechanism so you'll drink when you need to. The research that had been done on the need to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day was sponsored by the bottled water industry so they could make a profit.
 Dovelett
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2016 11:17:41 PM
Www.sodastreamuse.com
 Dovelett
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2016 11:24:15 PM
800 763 2258 here bamagrl for the infor@sodastremuse.com
Information good luck. Hope it helps all who is interested in drinking more water.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/29/2016 7:33:15 PM
Dovelett- Thank you! :)
 Vanlady47
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/17/2016 7:42:54 AM
Just drink plain water or add lemon, lime, grapefruit just to add a touch of flavour. Green tea, white tea. The more you drink, the easier it gets, IMO.
 selette_jade
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/5/2016 11:09:34 PM
I use reverse osmosis for water treatment at home. Water is then much better for drinking, brewing coffee and tea, and for cooking.
 MrTJM
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/25/2016 11:23:03 PM
The idea behind drinking lots of water is the body doesn't have to store as much. I found back when I was drinking heaps (like 4L a day), I'd actually enjoy the tastes, possibly just because my body was craving it.

Keeping a water bottle handy will mean it's always there when you need it. Just try and develop a habit of drinking and make sure you fill up whenever you run out, as opposed to forgetting to do so. If you're enjoying it with strawberries, it sounds like you're onto a winner. To be honest for me it was just a bit of discipline to start with, then I pretty much stopped thinking about it. Became second nature.
 Kashmir_too
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/3/2016 2:22:17 PM
"Keeping a water bottle handy will mean it's always there when you need it. Just try and develop a habit of drinking and make sure you fill up whenever you run out, as opposed to forgetting to do so. If you're enjoying it with strawberries, it sounds like you're onto a winner. To be honest for me it was just a bit of discipline to start with, then I pretty much stopped thinking about it. Became second nature."

This works for me too. Just keep drinking.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/3/2016 2:29:55 PM
When the glass is empty... REFILL it !

I know right ?
 deucesrwild2
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/11/2016 5:26:09 PM
I just have a Brita filter and jug. I refill and re-use bottled water. I find buying actual bottles of water such a waste and can't justify buying a bottle of water, drinking it and then tossing the bottle. I have to use it half a dozen times at least. Guilt. Lol
 007honeyryder
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/18/2016 9:35:53 AM
I keep water everywhere. In my car, in my desk. I have refillable containers that I reuse. I have a couple of nice Thermos type bottles that keep it cold. I even keep bottles of water frozen in my freezer,
 aremeself
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2016 9:31:43 PM
Yeah, I don't crave or like water either.

So i drink good juices, if there is such a thing......….
 purplerider1200
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2017 4:15:57 AM
I'd do Gatorade when it's hot, and working outside. One fireman whom I was working for told me to cut it with 50% water, for better absorption, into your body. And eat something after about 3 hours, because at some point, your stomach stops taking water in. My doctor agreed with that, by the way.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2017 5:09:16 PM
... a friend and I have been experimenting w/adding all sorts of interesting things to plain water ... strawberries, of course, but also grapes cut in half, cucumber slices, citrus slices ... just about anything! I prefer to make iced decaf tea but she likes the plain water w/veggies and/or fruits!
 jeni366
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/20/2017 12:46:40 PM
My strange list of things to try to increase your water consumption.

Start slow - don't rush into drinking a lot of water when you are not accustomed to drinking water.
Cold and warm - try the water at different temperatures: cold from the refrigerator, cold from the faucet, room temperature (I fill a large vessel and leave it sitting all day - filling my glass as needed).
Drinking vessel - try cups/glasses of different materials. For example: you may find that you like water from an actual glass better than from a plastic cup.
Type of water - when I was young the only water I liked was that which came from a water fountain (for drinking) or the bathroom. Most of the time at home I drank water from the bathroom using my hands (cupped).

This is all I can think of at the moment. Go slow though - most people eventually get used to the taste and can increase how much water they drink.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/20/2017 12:50:30 PM
"When the glass is empty... REFILL it !"

This is SPOT ON !

OP you don't need tips, you just need to know how to POUR
 sun___flower
Msg: 28
view profile
History
In other news, water is wet