Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > When does a guy's profile have TMI - wall of text?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EvilBunnyZapper
Msg: 1
When does a guy's profile have TMI - wall of text?Page 1 of 1    
Is there an ideal length of text that passes for most short attention spans?
I do realize non existant - "ask me" stuff are really annoying ...
But when does a profile have too much text that it people skip over it due to the generally short attention span of pof crowd...
I know wading through a swarm of messages every single day is a tedious process . Hence my question.

Would appreciate any insight on this.
Thanks
 SLAFFA
Msg: 2
When does a guy's profile have TMI - wall of text?
Posted: 5/1/2016 11:15:06 AM
First of all, welcome back. Second, you need not worry about 99% of the ladies you will see on this site. Dozens or hundreds of messages a day? BULLPOOP. Unless she lives in a humongous city. And/OR she is brand new. And/OR she is utilizing highly illegal pics for bait. It's one of the most common of many Forum Myths. Oodles of men as well as women on this site love to perpetuate that myth. I have done photo shoots for at least 5 ladies [that I can remember] that I met here at Fish. Four are still on this site. Still hoping and fishing. Three are still friends. They all showed me their mailboxes [VOLUNTARILY] while we edited the pics. I have pics of most at photobucket.

It has been my experience that length does not matter to someone who is LOOKING for a LTR. Any reasonable person will stop reading when they have read enough or get bored, at least I do. However, to everyone else? Many won't read beyond the title and/or stats at top. And most won't read beyond a few lines at most. This makes perfect sense as there is no NEED for them to know anything at all, the pics just need to be acceptable.

Your profile is quite well written IMO but the "killer" combination of no car, height, nothing serious and less than one year [at your age] would most likely prevent any woman from ever making it down to your written part even IF you were "seriously" looking. Just the very Nature of OLD. Three of those ^^^ are very common dealbreakers, at least for most Forum ladies.

Of course your join date is also unlikely to help you much at this particular Forum. Your handle alone will get you summarily dismissed by some of course.
 Scaretale
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2016 11:30:23 AM
Personally, I like it when someone writes a lot in a profile...as long as it is fun and interesting. I like reading people's thoughts on dating, and what they are like.

Most times though, it's a wall of text that says absolutely nothing. It's just cliche after cliche...followed by requirements and messages to other PoF users. In those cases, I scan and leave.
 Forums_only
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/1/2016 12:18:14 PM

EvilBunnyZapper wants to date but nothing serious.

Doesn't matter if you've written the directions to the Lost Temple of Doom in your profile if your intent indicates booty call. However, if you were actually hoping to ultimately meet one great lady, a relationship intent would go further to keep them on the page long enough to read the basics.

95 Interests is too much. Not 95? Well it looks like it. How about 9-12 at most?

For me, when reading on a laptop a perfect sized profile was one screenview. If you have to scroll, it's too much. You can talk about your personality/humour, work, interests and activities and who you're looking for succinctly and with humour and keep it to less than 3 large or 4 smaller paragraphs. It can be done. Longer profiles can be good IF the content is descriptive, humourous and engaging. As already stated, if it's just cliches and fluff, it doesn't matter how long/short it is, it's useless.
 EvilBunnyZapper
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/1/2016 3:49:52 PM
Thank you , that is indeed very insightful.
The choice of my handle was to come up with some thing original creative and funny
I realized even though i have a good sense of humour , it takes a lot more to be funny .
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > When does a guy's profile have TMI - wall of text?