Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > His Number Isn't Saved in Your Phone...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 QuirkyTeacher
Msg: 1
His Number Isn't Saved in Your Phone...Page 1 of 1    
Maybe guys have this experience too. I can only speak from my perspective. However, there have been multiple times where a guy will text me, I won't know who he is, then he starts to get really nasty. Just this morning, someone messaged me and was like "Hey beautiful. This is Kevin." I didn't talk to anyone recently named Kevin, and it's a common name. So I asked him to refresh my memory as to how we met. His response was:

"I did not know who u was either b**** that's dating site i just wanted my d**** sucker from your fatbass" ...spelling errors and all. LOL

I'm like...what? Needless to say, I didn't respond and just blocked him, but similar scenarios have happened before.

I remember when I got a new phone and my contact list went bonkers. A guy texted me during that time. I explained what happened, and he responded "blocked" LOL... Are men really expecting us to know who they are when they text us days, sometimes weeks after we give them our number? I mean, why get so offended that someone you don't know also doesn't know you? Has anyone else had similar experiences?
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 2
His Number Isn't Saved in Your Phone...
Posted: 6/10/2016 10:26:30 AM
Thats annoying, is that the app version people can text you? can you disallow that feature in the settings?
 tennistown
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/10/2016 10:46:07 AM

Just this morning, someone messaged me and was like "Hey beautiful. This is Kevin." I didn't talk to anyone recently named Kevin, and it's a common name. So I asked him to refresh my memory as to how we met. His response was:

"I did not know who u was either b****

The way you described how that went down.
I immediately thought "crank caller."

Back before texting was invented,
some people (mostly men, but not always)
would and could make obscene crank phone calls.

With caller ID being newly developed,
eliminating the anonymity factor.
That sort of earthy and salty information exchange
mostly fizzled out.

I would hope that was just some random kook
instead of someone to whom you gave your digits.
Some people are really weird!
 QuirkyTeacher
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/10/2016 11:09:28 AM

Thats annoying, is that the app version people can text you? can you disallow that feature in the settings?

No. This is my actual cell phone.
 SrqDJ
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/10/2016 11:38:12 AM
Yes, I've experienced the same thing a few times. They just assume that you have nothing better in life to do than hang around waiting for them to text or call you so when you respond back with a who is this? ...typically you'll get a nasty insulting response complete with the misspelled words lol

Ignore and/or blocking them is about all you can do and just be glad they showed you who they really are.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/10/2016 3:05:54 PM
How do people know who they're random texting. What if it's going out to 55 y/o big biker dude. Can they see your number somewhere that has your picture?
 hemingway234
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2016 4:05:05 AM
My solution has been to ignore and delete messages from numbers I don't recognize.

Or I put an "X" in front of their name and delete unread.

It's called self-control.

Control freak bad. Self-control good.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/11/2016 9:53:27 AM
I just read a story from 2013. After being sent a dic pic, she located his mom by facebook and sent she the convo. (his a-hole comments and pic to show her what her sons attitude was like. Posted it on her own blog too.
hah
 AgentNinety9
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/13/2016 9:13:50 AM
I've never had anyone speak to me that way, but I'm big on privacy. I can't imagine putting myself into a position where I'd be getting texts from some guy I don't know. You could be more selective about who gets your phone #. There's a direct relationship between how freely you share your phone # and the likelihood you'll be sharing it with weird effers who expect you to know who they are, or at least what they want from you for the price of a bit of hollow flattery.
 south_city
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/14/2016 7:29:31 AM

With caller ID being newly developed,
eliminating the anonymity factor.
That sort of earthy and salty information exchange
mostly fizzled out.

Pressing *67 before dialing the number would prevent the other person from seeing it. I got a few prank calls that way. I didn't answer the phone. But listened to the voice mail.
 tennistown
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/14/2016 1:03:13 PM

How do people know who they're random texting. What if it's going out to 55 y/o big biker dude.

They don't know.
Generally best, to start out polite.

Just this morning, someone messaged me and was like "Hey beautiful. This is Kevin."

If a 55 y/o big biker dude, Bubba the rectum wrecker
would receive that text. He would probably reply
"Wrong number Pal." and that would be the end of it.

If on the other hand, if a message of interest, hope,
and mild excitement was to be replied back. . . .

I asked him to refresh my memory as to how we met.

Then it's "Game On". lol.

The prank texter
didn't even give a backhanded complement.
Just went straight for the backhand.

"I did not know who u was either bi*ch"

Clearly not Mr Smooth. Not Mr suave - suave.
Random, inexplicable, and perhaps misunderstood.
The random number texter won't achieve
relationship success on that particular path.
 Red_Fish_Blonde_Fish
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/15/2016 6:26:25 AM
I have an old lady cell phone & plan- no texting LoL

If I were single & looking, no one would get my # unless we were an item

you can get a cheap throw away cell phone at Walmart for OLD, problem solved...
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/20/2016 1:20:46 AM
I'm very selective about who gets my cell #. If they ask me to start texting them, I tell them I'd have to give my # out to do that. I have a land line and I can do the *67 if someone wants to talk on the phone.
 IronHibiscus
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/20/2016 8:42:03 AM
I RARELY even give my number out. I would *67 and call these men back when I was interested in this whole on-line approach. That way if they came off nuts or weird - I could back out. And not have my phone blowing up. When I was new at this YEARS ago, it did not take long to learn this crap would happen. Or they would send nudes. Call me at 3 am before even meeting to profess they were in love. LOL

There are ways to talk without handing your personal stuff out.
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2016 10:52:40 AM
In those cases I carry on a conversation, hoping that something comes up to give me a hint. Like "we had sex last weekend". Then all I need to find out is the day and I narrowed it down to two or three.

I am too cautious to give out my cell phone number. I usually give them my address instead.
 siisaa
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 5:47:12 PM

LOL... Are men really expecting us to know who they are when they text us days, sometimes weeks after we give them our number? I mean, why get so offended that someone you don't know also doesn't know you? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

It's pathetic, really, like they expect us to sit around and wait for us to reply to their intermittent texts. When I was dating, if a guy and I went on a date and there was zero contact for more than a week, I'd delete their number. Sometimes they would text me weeks or months later like we were actually friends. I'd just ignore them. This wasn't a terribly common occurrence though. I'd only give out my number once a date had been set, not to any random guy who asked for it.
 ssm508
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 9:45:34 PM

When I was dating, if a guy and I went on a date and there was zero contact for more than a week, I'd delete their number.

That's reasonable. Some women have mentioned they would lose interest when a man didn't contact them within 1 or 2 days after a date. I think that is being too rigid. There are valid reasons why a man didn't contact a woman that quickly. He was sick or had cell phone problems. Perhaps he was planning to contact you and became preoccupied with other things happening in his life. I have been on both sides of this.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2018 4:28:15 PM
Gads! How hard is it to delete texts without reading them? Not hard at all, even on my old flipper. I recognize phone numbers, without answering them. I don't profess to be a Rhodes scholar, it isn't hard.

Get some self control. Conquer your curiosity, and delete them.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/28/2018 10:33:54 PM
Ah the "who is this" in Seinfeld voice.
I've done it and I know it's highly upsetting lol. Oh well... I like to delete numbers I don't think I'll be needing. I'm with you OP.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2018 3:01:49 AM
I had a guy text me 6 months after i had given him my number at his request. He came out of the gate with
Hey Babe.
me: who is this???
him: Oh yeah im ----how bout a pic of that butt of yours?

really?????????
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2018 11:49:04 PM

Are men really expecting us to know who they are when they text us days, sometimes weeks after we give them our number?

Maybe, maybe not. But if he says his name, especially if he adds a "from X" to it -- yeah, he would expect you to know if he's not texting you eons later. Yes, even a week or two later.

"Hey Karen, this is Benjamin, from Moe's Tavern last week. How are you doing?" If you don't remember not only meeting but exchanging #s with a Benjamin at Moe's Tavern last week -- you're drinking too many of Moe's beers. :) And yes, I'll admit, I've been guilty of that. But I can't say "Well I never!" if I see the gal dissipate because she reads that I don't remember.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > His Number Isn't Saved in Your Phone...