Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How much do you spend to get a just abome min wage job?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 1
How much do you spend to get a just abome min wage job?Page 1 of 1    
Hi, to get to the point I have been multiple interviewing with a major corp. Every time I turn around there are documents that need presented and explanations if any discrepancy. They latest I have found is a request for my driving abstract and request for employment history in another country at my cost.

I don't mind giving doc's that are within 3 mo but to have to keep providing this info is choosing between my bills, my food and a job.

Then there is the "lets do a credit check". I have been off work for 3 yrs due to a broken ankle and etc., Of course I am in the hole.

I am being nickle and dime'd to death with interviews

I don't live off the gravy train but geez... what the hell is going on?

Thoughts anyone?

Le Pew
 memtoo
Msg: 2
How much do you spend to get a just abome min wage job?
Posted: 7/3/2016 12:53:33 PM
I have not been in the job looking market for a long, long time but I know how it used to work when I was looking, and the corporation paid all of the expenses of recruitment and training. Nowadays, in a day when Corporate CEO's are more likely to be psychopaths than any other occupation out there, where there is so much inequality and abuse by use of unpaid interns, etc., I just don't have any idea whether corporations are now trying to pass on the recruitment costs to potential employees. I would not be surprised if that is what is happening.

In the end, my opinion would be that corporations who do this are the scum of the earth, the people who work there in executive managment the scum of the earth. So depending on how desperate you are, you have to ask whether you want to be employed by these types of low-lives in the first instance. If you are desperate for a job, any job, and this is what they do, all you can do is ask them to absorb the cost and if they refuse . . . see it as their loss and not yours
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/3/2016 1:54:38 PM
memtoo, I am thankfull for your ideas. I am removing myself from the job selection. I am in in about 150 bucks for documentation not even union, uniform, shoes and various incidentals.

Wow, not worked in 3 yrs due to surgery and a broken ankle. How can I come up with funds when I have had no state support other then food... snap? Really I would starve if I had to depend on that. For those that dont know.. 194 bucks a month. Can you live off that?

LePew.
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/3/2016 2:20:39 PM
Sorry, not sure how it came to be abome.. but aborh costs to help us have low and limited wages to live?
 deetristate
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/4/2016 5:56:53 AM
Too much for me.

It seems that they can't make a decision based on who would be best for the job so they use various irrelevant factors to eliminate people.

15 years ago, I decided that I would never apply for a job that required you to:

1-urinate in a cup,

2-provide a transcript

3-go through where you were more than 10 years before

or

4-submit to a credit report.

You go along with all of that and they don't hire you anyway.

Also, if you go along with their foolishness to get the job, they then think that they can treat you any way that they want when on the job.

If I had to look for a job today, I would not work for anyone who was interested in social media in anyway whatsoever because so much of social media is fiction.

Can you start some kind of home business? Given what I hear people say that they pay house cleaners, if I have to work to supplement SS, I will work as a housecleaner.
 AgentNinety9
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/4/2016 6:46:49 AM
I think you'll have better luck or at least find the whole thing to be a less stressful experience if you go through an employment agency, instead of approaching companies cold. When you do that, you're basically responding to a cattle call. For their own protection, a lot of employers are going to require more red tape for a cattle call than they would if they were recruiting through an agency that has basically done the work of pre-qualifying you. And for your benefit, the agencies will find interview opportunities that wouldn't otherwise be available to you. I'd put my resume in with as many employment agencies in your area that recruit for the type of work you want to do.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/4/2016 11:42:51 AM
I agree that borders on abusing the Market. Yes people want to work but making people pay without knowing the job is for certain? No way. I wouldn't provide credit checks, etc til I know it was my position dependent on my providing the documents. Like a criminal background check - I could be robbing a bank the day after for Petes sake
I never gave even my SIN to anyone
 Ed Bear
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2016 11:35:13 AM
Nobody should ever be required to pay an application fee, or provide a SIN/SSN number to any entity until they are to be receiving income from that entity.

Any employment agency that charges the applicant a fee is a scam and will never get you a job - like a pay dating site, they'd rather just keep milking you rather than let you get what you're seeking.

Nobody should ever accept unpaid work, or pee in a cup (unless in a safety-related job legislatively requiring it), because it makes things worse for everyone out there.

On the other hand, a regulated fee for a criminal records check, when the job requires it, is reasonable and does not go to the employer.

If they want to do a credit check, they can pay for it themselves. There is a valid concern that people in deep debt may be more likely to try to steal or embezzle.
ED BEAR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/7/2016 6:36:32 PM
That kind of behavior on the part of a would-be employer shows incompetence. They're unsure of their ability to choose, and want more and more evidence not on their dime that they are about to choose well. I was once hired at the end of an interview, I asked, You're not going to check my references? She laughed: Like you're going to give me bad references? If I can't decide without folderoll, I need to get another job. . . .
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/9/2016 10:15:35 PM
Hi all, just as a follow up... I told the recruiter No Thank You!

The bad part of it all is that this is a major medical corporation, well established in the community. I really wanted the job. Good pay, benefits, retirement.

Wooby, you are so right about incompetence. Trying to get a straight answer from the recruiters even though I sent a very detailed letter about dates they wanted verified and she could not give me an answer. In fact she could not comprehend what I was asking her. She was also rude to the personal references that they called (3 out of 3) after telling me they would send them an email form.

To make a long story short after I said no thank you I started getting letters indicating I have the job. It has been a month and not one person called me but they did take it upon their self to send information that I was hired to the SNAP program and screwed up my benefits. Now I get to go get that straightened out. Yippie Skippy.

DeeTri, In some situations I don't mind the pee test, understanding to work in medical you need to have that, immunizations and a blood test. That is the nature of the beast. I won't from now on give personal references, credit reports and a few other things. I learned a valuable lesson as I have never been jerked around like this for a job.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was beginning to think I was being too "sensitive" about it all.

Le Pew
 usernonymous
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/22/2016 3:17:11 AM
I work for one of the largest organizations in the world and I think they did a stand up job. I am a face of the company and they want someone that is a good representation of that. I did a drug test and went through a credit check, as these are indicators, but not on their own, disqualifiers.

I also went through a criminal background check and I had to provide explanation on things that were not clear on my resume. Part of this request came while I was on vacation, but they were gracious enough for me to get back.

on top of that was two days of interviews and three references that were all vetted.

I'm not sure if what you went through, but what I went through was pretty standard in the corporate world.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2016 7:48:43 AM

To make a long story short after I said no thank you I started getting letters indicating I have the job.

At that point, why not just accept the job, your comment to the job recruiter could likely be changed to OK, I accept? Most recruiters only get paid when they fill a slot, though a lot of times you have to work for so long before they get paid.

I wouldn't care so much about what they wanted to check, but wouldn't be inclined to pay for it myself. Maybe something minor or something like if I needed a passport I would pay for it.

My first job ever back in 1971 I had to take a polygraph test. That was a min wage job as a stock boy.

Since then I have taken a few drug tests, I haven't ever paid for whatever screening they want to do. I do sign off on forms that say they can check stuff.

Last job I had for SBC/ATT, they did background checks, drug test, check references, I signed off for them to do credit checks and driving record, I don't know what they actually did, they asked about criminal records. That was in 1999. Some jobs I needed a passport for, if I didn't have one I would likely have needed to pay for it myself.

Often I would do 1-3 interviews.

But these were far above minimum wage jobs.

I have found it's best for me to check my references independently myself. I had a friend working at a company in NY pretend to want to hire me and he called my references and he put me in a three way call so I could listen in. It's informative, I did have one reference that was a former manager that was sabotaging me. I still have the tape recording of that. On the other hand, another manager gave me a glowing recommendation.

My wife is more like min wage jobs, or just above min wage. They often require a drug test, no charge.

Records from a foreign country? I am not sure how they could be verified, IMO one can say whatever you want to about what you did in a foreign country, unless it's about having a graduate degree, or about working for an international company like IBM, I don't see how they can check records. And I seriously doubt they are going to hire an interpreter to check references in a foreign country for a min wage or even for a job that pays $15 an hour.

The state department does a lot of criminal record checking, ID records, previous names, etc, / medical checks before you get a Visa to the USA, so the fact you get a Visa already ensures some level of record checking.

My brother changed careers, from a land surveyor to a medical records administrator, he went to a school to get a certificate and volunteered for over 3 months for free to get experience to get hired. But now he makes pretty good money.

A friend of mine wanted to become a nurses aid, she also went to a school and volunteered for free for ~6 months before getting hired.

Changing careers at as older adult will require more effort.
 carolann0308
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2016 2:13:21 PM
Stay away from employment agency recruiters, half of them are people that literally could not get a job in the field they wanted. Major companies have their own recruiters and advertise on their own or very select websites.
My advice is go directly to company, send resume directly to HR and use any contacts you have, ask friends who is hiring.
Drug tests are the norm these days.
Expect to interview with 2-3 people prior to hire
References should be business references and make sure you contact them so they know you are looking for work. You never know when a former employer or co-worker can help you
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/30/2016 8:11:40 AM
Carolann, good advice. This place has their own in house recruiters which is supplied through an outside firm.

I realize I have no recent professional references and listed personal since I had been off work for 3 yrs for 5 surgeries and prior to that caring for my mother until she passed away. I did list my old work history and provided numbers. The old work history was from when I lived in another country.

LePew
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/19/2016 1:36:14 PM
Up Date,

I had to go get an update from the employer who filed I work for them, at the same time I was declining.

I have small benefits through the state and while they said they hired me, I was a few hours withdrawing my resume.

This was July 4th weekend.

I played so many game pools contacting an admin. It has hurt my benefits. ( you can crit if you want)

All I wanted was a job and I was put through a wringer, not warranted.

WOW!

Le Pew
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How much do you spend to get a just abome min wage job?