Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > So have I got it wrong?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gary3029
Msg: 1
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?Page 1 of 1    
There are 'plenty of fish' in the sea, but not taking my bait. Have worked on my profile to reflect me and be different. Not sure if I have strayed to far and that is why limited takers. I know there is no magic answer for a quick fix, but any comments welcome do I am not hitting an own goal. Hopefully the pictures tally with my statement and give s feel about me. Anyway thoughts on my profile welcome. Thanks.
 AgentNinety9
Msg: 2
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 6:19:22 AM
:Slams down my glasses: That does it, I'm moving to the UK.
Not a thing wrong with your profile. I read it twice. No, 3 times. I'll be right over.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 3
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 8:51:14 AM
The profession question is a simple one, it requires a simple answer. Anything other than a straight forward answer to this will make people think you are unemployed or doing something illegal, it's a big red flag.

You're pictures aren't great. Any picture where your face isn't clearly visible is irrelevant for a dating profile. You need a clear, crisp, smiling headshot for your main picture showing you at yoru very best. Your main picture is the very first thing women will see, so it's your very first impression. If that is too dark, or blurry or isn't flattering then you fall at the first hurdle.
 Chromis1
Msg: 4
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 9:11:02 AM
Agree with Scooter that your pictures aren't great but I've seen worse.

Your main picture needs to be a killer and the best lineups have two or three said killers that you can rotate in and out periodically. You in the tux - crop out of this picture a head/shoulders shot and you then have a good main picture.

Agent99 would give you a shot. So will others. But Agent99 had the opportunity to see your entire profile. Many women who search profiles (and many do) will tend to blow right by yours because the main picture doesn't pop. In fact, on a cell phone app you're not even distinguishable. It's a cool pic (you + dog(s) = likability) but it won't work as a main photo.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 9:26:14 AM
I'll third what the guys said about your main picture. You need a clear head shot. The one you have now is useless because you're invisible in it unless people are already clicking on it.

I like most of your pictures because I like active outdoors shots.

Your write up is much better than average.

I have a couple of questions.

Shouldn't it be imagine standing on a mountain, not stood?

Also, how old is your daughter and is she living with you, and if not how often do you see/have her? You're at an age where, if you have a dependent child, women would probably know that.
 tennistown
Msg: 6
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 10:44:02 AM

Posted By: gary3029
There are 'plenty of fish' in the sea, but not taking my bait.

I'll make it unanimous.
You need a new, fresh photo, for your "Main".

The picture with the dogs will look smart in your gallery
of photos. The other gallery pics are wonderfully framed
doing interesting things. I literally liked every photo except
the one of you (allegedly) shredding the fresh snow.
That image could be anybody, it's so far away.
Good luck!
 Foofious
Msg: 7
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 12:56:26 PM
What are your opening messages like? I always try to be somewhat different or stand out and not ask routine questions such as "How was your day", "How are you" "What do you do" etc and especially not stuff like "Hi". Your profile looks good. My only complaint would be changing your main picture to something more eye catching since I find a lot of people will judge you very quickly based on your first image. I think the black and white one kinda makes you stand out a bit more. Thats my opinion anyway I know a lot of people will have varying opinions on what is your best photo and you can't please everyone.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 8
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 1:38:24 PM
Hi Gary
fix the typos or spelling errors.
You spend a bit too much time on about the biking imo
You could benefit from better pictures
A midwife? How interesting. Only a few men here are.
You have a nice way with words, surprised you aren't enjoying more success.
I would guess women your age range already have lots of friends, try a different Header
 Forums_only
Msg: 9
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 7:06:33 PM
The difference in the black-and-white vs. colour photos is about 10 years. I guessed you older in the B&Ws and younger in the colour photos. Why sabotage yourself?

The interests are silly. One or two-word items work best. Think of your favourites (food/cuisine, holiday spot, sport you play, team you follow, tv show, comedian, author, something you collect, hobby....)

Until you are overwhelmed with messages, it's safe to remove the incoming email restrictions. You can judge each incoming contestant on their own merits.
 tennistown
Msg: 10
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 9:59:43 PM

Posted By: gary3029
So have I got it wrong?

Two things, I currently see worth mentioning.

2015 just about to hit a black.

It is a Politically Correct world we live in.

I know, and you know, and I hope and pray your "reader"
is familiar with skiing nomenclature palooka.
It might be best to clarify that caption.

. . . and have a coffe.

. . . and have a coffee.
Don't end your profile with a misspelled word.
 gary3029
Msg: 11
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/21/2016 10:02:18 PM
Thanks for all the comments have amended many as suggested. Key change which was common theme is changed main picture. Have kept the one of me off piste as it is what I do and yes it is me. Changed a few words in the profile to tighten it up. Happy with where it is at now, unless I have missed something. Of course some changes I have not made, but I appreciate the input. Many thanks.
 Forums_only
Msg: 12
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/22/2016 7:45:24 PM
The Interests field is still a very awkward read and the email settings are silly. Why not be open to someone who may be perfect for you but missed your 'best by' age by a weekend?

Seriously, Gary, you should be doing so much better here. If I were in your target range and looking this would be a very intriguing profile.
 gary3029
Msg: 14
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/25/2016 5:51:54 AM
Ok I have taken the age limitations off and will see what happens. However regarding the interests I feel that most people put a few key words down with little thought which people pass by. I wanted to give meaning to my chosen few and make them stand out. I am hoping I am on the right track now? I am at the mercy of two things.... POF putting it out there and not limiting its exposure in the hope I upgrade, so that is a waiting game. The other is the right person coming along at the right time and my profile being a little different than my competitor. We will see!!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 15
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/25/2016 6:16:52 AM
Interests need to be at least tidied so they read correctly
Your Header - you know it refers to the god, right? You know the one who conquered pity, kindness, etc.
Not the best header IMO
If one quotes Latin then one should know what they quote :)
 gary3029
Msg: 16
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/25/2016 7:03:05 AM
Yes you are right it was the Roman god Cupid painted by Caravaggio and means Love Conquers All. As you have rightly pointed out this is could have negative understandings. If someone knows their Latin then could be a talking point, but I am sure it will pass most by and just mean live conquers all, which considering the world of POF is perhaps relevant. Ok will review my interests. Thanks.
 BeyondtheMatrix
Msg: 17
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/25/2016 12:38:00 PM
Who am I to tell you, or anyone, about your profile and why you aren't successful here? I don't exactly get overwhelmed with mail. The last two messages I received contained one word -- "Hi." It won't do. It won't work for me. I need more than that.

The thing is, no matter what you write in your profile you are up against it, big time. You should read the book Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood and the American Dream -- And Why It Matters, by Dr Helen Smith. You'll see men are up against. Changing your picture or the arrangement of the words in your profile doesn't matter now. The world is a far different entity from when my parents married, when men put women first, opened doors for them, held their hand at pedestrian crossings, and generally 'looked after' their womenfolk. Today? I watched from McCafe last night at least 12 couples, mainly young people, coming into the cafe. The man came barging through the door first. The woman toddled behind obediently. He darts to a table, and she goes over and orders and pays. He stares at a computer, and she is exasperated in the queue. It's . . . all changing, Gary. It's a different world.

Take care, and best wishes.

- Peter
 FL-SCUBAdiver
Msg: 18
view profile
History
So have I got it wrong?
Posted: 7/29/2016 4:28:59 PM
Hi Gary... I have seen a cleaned up version I think and it looks pretty good. Does it follow all conventions of less is more? No but for the initiated I suspect it would be interesting. If you lived locally, I would suggest meeting as you sound like an interesting person.

I think the list of interests could be cleaned up for reading but I am curious if the improvements have helped the response rate when you have a chance. Thanks.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > So have I got it wrong?