Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Profiles - Likes All Sorts of Music      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sunny120Y
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Profiles - Likes All Sorts of MusicPage 1 of 1    
OK, I see so often on member's profiles words to the effect that they have an eclectic taste in music, but I'm never sure what that means.

If I were to put on some ELO, followed by some jazz, then a symphony by Mahler, some Donna Summer, some minimalist music by John Adams, then Dean Martin, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, then a bash of death metal …. topped off with some heavy Wagner ….. would that be alright?

Or would I get a smack? :)
 AgentNinety9
Msg: 2
Profiles - Likes All Sorts of Music
Posted: 7/23/2016 6:14:57 AM
It would depend on whether or not they have that kind of questionable taste in music.
 WhereforeAndWhyNot
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2016 5:36:12 AM

ec·lec·tic
əˈklektik/
adjective
1. Deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
"her musical tastes are eclectic"
synonyms: wide-ranging, broad-based, extensive, comprehensive, encyclopedic

Doesn't mean they have to like what YOU like.... just "broad and diverse."

I once knew a "good ol' feller" from Texas who said that he had a REAL broad taste in music. Besides ZZ Top and Skynyrd, he also liked both "Country" and "Western". Didn't like Bluegrass, though... said it was "too jiggly."

It takes all kinds.....
 cooldog65
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2016 6:49:33 AM
"All sorts of music" reminds me of what top 40 used to be late 20th century. It could also mean a wide range of genres, but only what is currently popular.
 Sunny120Y
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2016 11:46:36 PM

Doesn't mean they have to like what YOU like.... just "broad and diverse."

Well, from my experience the term 'varied taste in music' means varied just within the pop music genre, and even then there will be many exceptions, usually heavy metal, jazz and rap. Classical might be included but just the odd piece of popular classical. Does that fit "broad and diverse"?
 AgentNinety9
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/27/2016 3:51:09 AM
You must run into a lot of pop music savants who have only listened to 3 or 6 "artists" since puberty, then one day they broadened their horizons by adding Bolero to the repertoire. Now they think their tastes are broad and diverse.

It would be like me claiming to be bilingual because I know how to say cuando vienen las cucarachas.

Nope I don't think that fits the definition.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Profiles - Likes All Sorts of Music