Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Take a Break - Classical - Relax      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sunny120Y
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Take a Break - Classical - RelaxPage 1 of 1    
I invite folks to take a little break from pop music and move over to the 'Other Side' for 10 minutes ……. ooooo (spooky voice), classical music ….. eeeek! Not only that, but also a break from music that has a melody …. or a beat (cripes, it gets worse!).

There is a type of music that I call effect music, it's also known as atmospheric music, you will often hear it in the background of films to create an atmosphere, a feeling, an effect. It's also typical music to accompany yoga and such like activities. I have discovered a new favourite composer, Arvo Part, and he does a lot of such music and I would be interested if folk would take time out to relax, perhaps even turn out the lights, lay back and play this piece and tell me what you think. What images did the music conjure up in your mind? How did it make you feel?

I have deliberately chosen a version with just a blank screen so as not to influence your thoughts:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIHcK7Qjw6Y

Do anything for you? Or does it just annoy the hell out of you, and you want the drums to come in and a melody to sing out?
 Sunny120Y
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Take a Break - Classical - Relax
Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:00 AM
OK, so the Arvo Part doesn't seem to have done anything for anyone. I'll have another go, try this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJWO2FQ16c

Now I know what you'll be thinking as you start listening to this - "It's alright, but now change ….. …. enough already ….. CHANGE! …. ….. Bored now!".

That's what I thought on first hearing it in my late teens, but then the little bit I had heard sort of hung in there in my mind and wouldn't go away, then when I heard it again I was hooked. It is hypnotic music, and it DOES change, but yet …… it doesn't. It changes subtly, and gradually. Jump ahead, dip into bits of it … and yes, it does last an hour - no breaks. It's a type of music called minimalist (for obvious reasons). It's the kind of music that can quite easily be background music, and once I heard it live. Two people in front of me walked out, but I thought it was an absolutely thrilling experience, it sends you into an almost state of trance. Can't praise it enough, I love it.

I'm just attempting to expand folks musical tastes. I'm saying that although pop music is fantastic, I couldn't do without it, there IS other music, and it can be equally fantastic, but in a different way, statisfying a different part of the human soul.
 Devonation71
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2016 6:04:45 PM
Back in the 80's industrial was growing up. Brilliant then. Mature now. And is now called Post Industrial. It's really is the new Classical. It's art, it can be very abrasive, ugly. And incredibly gentile, beautiful. Always enlightening. As much as I like the ear / soul candy of FAX and ilk it's way more than than. Sun Ra x1k.
 Kodanshi
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2016 3:24:06 PM
^ I completely agree with you.
 Sunny120Y
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2016 1:37:56 AM
Devonation - I'd never heard of industrial as a type of music before so I was a bit lost by your post at first. I've had a listen to some but I haven't found any that sounds classical yet. Great stuff though, like it.

You mention the word 'art' and I know some people pretentiously like to call classic music 'art music' but I totally disagree with that title. That implies that pop music is not art music. How dare they! Some of it might not be but you can't imply that about the whole genre. I know the word classical is not a good name for classical music either because that is really just one period of the music, but art music is certainly no alternative. Pop music has the same problem with its name. Pop is actually just one style, but the whole lot has become know as pop.

If you could find some classical type post industrial to link that would be great. Love to hear it. I believe there is a type of jazz that has gone classical aswell. A mate played some to me and I heard Rachmaninov in it.
 Coma_White
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2016 12:57:01 AM
It's not bad, but I'm not really into it. I'm more into pop songs which have been around for 500 years or so starting with lieder, madrigals and art songs. I call any kind of catchy song with a singer a pop song. Instrumental music is cool too but I prefer something with more of a lyrical melody.
 Sunny120Y
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2016 1:09:29 AM
Thanks for the feed back Coma, glad you had a go. Oh yes I think we all like a catchy song, and if it's got good words aswell, then hey, we're happy bunnies. The way I see it (or hear it) there are basically three types of music:- Rhythm - Melody - Effect.

Melody and rhythm music have been around since the beginning. Which came first is anyone's guess, I'll go for rhythm music being the first. I can picture ancient cave man banging out a rhythm on rocks, the first rock music?

I reckon effect music was the last to appear, perhaps only in the 19th century. The first effect music I can think of was actually written by Chopin, the last movement of his Funeral March Sonata:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcS32WnEFiI

There may have been others, that's just the earliest I know of. No melody, no pronounced rhythm, just gives you an effect, to me the effect of the wind blowing over grave stones. He did not compose it with that in mind, but that's what it makes me and many people picture.
 Coma_White
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2016 7:55:27 PM
Melody, harmony and rhythm are the main parts of music for sure. That's why they call a chord progression the harmonic rhythm. Harmony is really just an extension of the melody most of the time anyway. It's a pretty safe bet that rhythm probably came first, but rhythm and melody both come from speech or from animal sounds.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Take a Break - Classical - Relax