Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Rio Olympics - 2016      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 natural energy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Rio Olympics - 2016Page 1 of 1    
Let’s share our love of the Olympics.
I was surprised that nothing had been started about the Rio Olympics … nothing on the Tour de France for years now as well.

Let’s share:
1. Any concerns with the hype around the zika virus, pollution, and/or security at the Rio games this year?
2. Which athletes are you following who you know personally?
3. Anything else you want to share

I’ll start:
1. With all the media hype around the zika virus/pollution/security, it will be interesting to see what transpires during the Olympics. I would be concerned if I was an athlete in the sports in Rio’s “natural” waters – triathlon/pentathlon, canoeing/rowing/sailing, etc. However, as the media covers and most of us know, the athletes are focusing on the psychology and their physical performance in their sports – injuries, etc. They don’t need to waste any time focusing on anything else. They are used to the challenges in their sports. Their coaches and managers will manage the precautions for the athletes and themselves.
2. I will be diligently following the results for Kelita Zupancic – Canadian Judoka – 30kg – on Wed, Aug 10. She won gold in the Pan AM games last summer, which I had the good fortune to witness live! I wish her well in her matches on Wed, Aug 10.
3. I enjoyed the opening ceremonies last night, even though it was not as technologically spectacular as the past Olympics. As with most countries now, with the current economy, they did not spend as much money on such extravagant ceremonies as the countries have in the past. As it is, the “poor” are always the ones who suffer the most with any Olympics taking place in their communities and country. These ceremonies still reflected the colour and culture of Brazil, focused on the athletes, which it should, and were spectacular, given the lower cost! I admired the focus on the environment and climate change, and the planting of a tree seedling for each athlete! What a legacy! Let’s hope they continue with this focus on the environment and clean up their country!
4. It was great to see a refugee team! … even if they are not expected to win any medals! ... who knows ... we may be surprised! … after all Kipchoge Keino won his medals with very little formal training!
5. I was very moved by the awarding of the new Olympic Laurel award to Kipchoge Keino of Kenya as the first recipient of this new award – to honour an oustanding sportsmen (or sportswomen) for achievements in social engagement - with achievements in education, culture, development and peace through sport. He truly is a remarkable man! He won his gold medals without much formal training, other than his requirement to run to get to where he needed to get to where he lived! He opened a children’s home, which is today home to almost 100 Kenyan orphans, then three years later, he opened the Kip Keino High Performance Training Centre, to train the most promising athletes in Kenya. He is truly an inspiration to athletes with disadvantages in their lives, let alone the athletes who are born with advantages!

What would you like to share?
 natural energy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Rio Olympics - 2016
Posted: 8/10/2016 3:14:39 AM
Nobody here interested to talk about the Olympics, it seems.

The US have the most medals so far (after 4 days), as in most of the past Olympics.

Any comments on Michael Phelps' continued success - winning the most number of Olympic medals, etc?

The US Women's gymnastics team were incredible! A well deserved gold medal!

Yesterday Travis Stevens won silver in 81 kg Judo. Congratulations Travis!
He happens to be the boyfriend of Kelita Zupancic, who I know - A Canadian 70 kg Jukoka ... noted in my OP post.
She competes today ... hoping she does as well as Travis or better! We need a gold for Canada!
 natural energy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Rio Olympics - 2016
Posted: 8/10/2016 3:50:10 AM
This is great ... John Oliver on the opening ceremonies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-LPcVo7gC0

Enjoy!
 StumbledBkn
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Rio Olympics - 2016
Posted: 8/11/2016 2:14:56 PM
I thought this thread would have at least a page or two full of messages by now. But seems it's reflecting the half empty stands at some of the events I've watched on TV. I'm not a marathon watcher though. And I don't even keep track of who's winning what. Although the women's beach volleyball matches seem to hold my attention. Speaking of which, the U.S No. 2 team was eliminated this afternoon by Russia.
 cooldog65
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Rio Olympics - 2016
Posted: 8/12/2016 11:00:26 AM
I've been watching the swimming (men and women) and women's gymnastics. Track and field starts today and I'm looking forward to seeing the Jamaican women's team!
 natural energy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Rio Olympics - 2016
Posted: 8/13/2016 10:01:30 PM
Jamaica still rules much of the track - short distances!

I like to see the results of all ... although I don't enjoy watching all the sports.

The US is doing very well with the medal results!
Canada is doing better with golds than in the past ... nowhere hear the US .... we have all women medals!
.. what is happening to the male athletes?
 billybonds
Msg: 8
Rio Olympics
Posted: 8/21/2016 3:23:45 PM
Hoorah, Britain beat China into second place on golds and silvers. Hopefully the lovely Mo Farah can get the bbc sports personality of the.year award now, the award he so richly deserved four years ago.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Rio Olympics - 2016