Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Travel Companion - hard to find      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 travelingmanrv
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Travel Companion - hard to findPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Why is it so hard to find a travel companion ?
I am an active 62 yo guy that enjoys hiking, biking, skiing, motorcycles, RVing/camping. I am looking for an active female to chat with and see if we have enough in common to meet. I am not looking at going to the national parks or other scenic places with someone that can NOT hike to the best places to view with me (would be nice if you bike, ski and like motorcycles also).
I have the nice motorhome and would love to have company. Please be between 50 and my age, in shape and looking for the most fantastic places in the US and Canada to see.
I am heading to FL the beginning of Nov. for 6 months or so, then 2017 am planning on going to Yosemite, Crater Lake, Glacier Nat. Park......let me know if you would like to tag along and lets chat.

Thanks
Art
 Nauti_Gal
Msg: 2
Travel Companion - hard to find
Posted: 8/14/2016 6:22:39 PM
Hey Art,

PM me if you ever want your own personal travel guide during your Canadian travels. I’d be happy to show you around.

Connie
 travelingmanrv
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2016 4:49:02 AM
Hi there Connie.....thanks for the message, not planning on the Alaska trip till 2018, but I will keep you in mind...

Art
 _gardengirl_
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/25/2016 1:40:46 AM
or maybe not ^^^^^. i would jump at the opportunity to go travelling with the op. unfortunately i have to go to work which obviously creates limitations...
 Yg23320
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/11/2016 1:44:25 AM
Are you talking about international travel?
If so, be very careful of who you travel with. I can tell you from personal experience to only travel with well known friends.
 Cynderella
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2016 10:35:44 PM
I would love to just travel all over but I do think this day and age it best you know and are compatable with said travel mate....be a waste of a trip if half way you realize you don't get along.
 travelingmanrv
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2016 4:13:24 PM
Yes....then damn "W" word.....I was lucky enough to get out of that a few years ago.....now full timing in my motorhome.

Art
 travelingmanrv
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2016 4:15:47 PM
I agree, would be hell stuck with a oerson you have nothing to talk about....lol
3 more weeks and I am heading from RI to FL to hang out for 6 months.....let me know if you want to meet up.... :)

Art
 travelingmanrv
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2016 4:21:14 PM
Cynderella, I tried sending you an email but guess I am to old...

Art
 moonbeamlover1
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/22/2016 10:05:55 PM
I must be weird but I actually like traveling alone... finding someone who is similar in temperament in when yo chill when yo sleep when yo hit the beach or happy hour or when to just sit in the pool and read ... those are hard if you have a nervous twitchy itinerary driven pushy travel companion.

if you have dated someone and know how each other is in down time and are comfortable friends or more it could be great

but time away is precious enough to not chance losing it on a disastrous stranger being a horrible travel fit ... don't want both people to be miserable ,)
 fifitoto
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/27/2017 10:09:19 PM
Hey call me I love to travel,Mary ,814 520 1804
 caril-ridley
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2017 1:38:56 AM
Travel alone, you'll meet people along the way and if all goes well, if you're open to the adventure shared, someone may come along but having expectations will always get in the way.
 9Pluto
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2017 10:08:26 AM
A travel companion or a travel buddy of the opposite sex is at least as difficult as a romantic partner, and why wouldn't it be? You are likely sleeping in the same space, continuously making decisions on places you want to visit, places you want to eat, amounts you want to spend, syncing emotional desires - it is like a date that lasts for days, weeks or even a month.

People often treat it as a roommate, but when activities and logistics need to be combined, it is overload if you haven't picked the right person. I've traveled more than anyone else I personally know (unless you consider some perpetual world travelers I met while traveling), and I've known a lot of restless types. Only twice have I traveled with a female who was not already my girlfriend. First time she wasn't was a special case and on the second day turned into a trip-girlfriend anyway. She had a better skill set for that trip than I did, so I was very lucky. It was not someone I met out of the blue, but someone from a place I worked in for a few months and regularly made an effort to befriend. The second time was essentially an elaborate plan to make a long distance date worth our time and effort.

I have traveled with male buddies, but these have always been trips justified by teamwork and linked to shared interests including a profit motive. Since our interests are centralized and objective-driven, the decisions are determined by analysis of the options and hunches, less than whims. The objective is always the success of the team.

I know people also travel under the plan: we go here, here, and here and you're on your own during the day. That isn't attractive to me, as it is just a step above a cruise or tour bus which take the fun out of the spontaneity and independence of a trip with the restrictions this puts on logistics. Women have mentioned it to me before but it is precisely the ones that are not creative and brave enough to travel on their own, that make bad traveling partners. Companion could be, but partner, no... But if I wanted a traveling companion, I certainly wouldn't expect PoF to be the place to find them easily. Check the forums at Lonely Planet, though I haven't checked if they are more for distant international places than US/Canada RVing sort of stuff.
Cheers
 NewYorker58
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2017 2:20:29 PM
If a travel buddy didn't involve romance, it would probably be more doable. You only have to compatible on a certain level. It's said that if you can travel together, it's a sign of a good couple. I don't know how true that is. I was highly compatible traveling with an ex-b and ex-h.

I've had a few guys want to travel with me from POF that I never met. I wouldn't travel with a stranger. There's a big expense involved, and I wouldn't want to invest in a trip with someone that may ruin it, but I still think it's doable, though I wasn't being asked for $ to go. One guy I did meet wanted me to accompany him to CA on a trip, I said no. We had only met once. When he got back, he wanted me to book a weekend getaway to a place I like. I said no. These trips were not about being a travel buddy for the sake of having company. They were for sex. That's pretty insulting. I think some guys have a problem seeing a woman as a person, and not a prostitute they can pay for.
 9Pluto
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2017 12:27:14 PM

If a travel buddy didn't involve romance, it would probably be more doable.
If

It's said that if you can travel together, it's a sign of a good couple. I don't know how true that is. I was highly compatible traveling with an ex-b and ex-h.
It is a sign of a good couple, just not a guarantee

. They were for sex. That's pretty insulting.
People expect sex after paying for dinner, or getting someone drunk, and if you are on a dating site, sex isn't an unreasonable request. If you weren't into him, or he moved uncomfortably fast, there's no reason to be discussing a trip. If I were a woman, not interested, I would thank him for the compliment and wish him luck. If he was cool, I'd recommend the misstravel dating site for what he (and the OP) is seeking. The OP's original post did rub me the wrong way fwiw:

Please be between 50 and my age, in shape ......let me know if you would like to tag along and lets chat.

"tag along"

NewYorker58
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2017 2:57:02 PM
I'm of the belief that dinner doesn't buy sex, LOL!!! That would be a great deal for guys if it worked that way. Two for $25 @Applebees, what a deal!☺ Women can alternatively think sex means they're in a relationship. In the end, people can think or wish what they want, it won't make it so.

Two offers that I can think of offhand were within the initial conversation. For them, I did wish them luck and sent them on their way. For the guy I met already, it was too soon. Take morals and propriety out of it, who wants to go away for a weekend with someone you haven't had sex with and then be unpleasantly surprised while you're there, LOL
 9Pluto
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2017 8:43:04 PM

I'm of the belief that dinner doesn't buy sex, LOL!!!

If you got hungry enough you could always change your mind
I was just trying to get you to look at it as a compliment rather than an insult ... Applebee's, and the other routine stuff happening here is definitely not as thoughtful and classy as a (possibly all-expense paid) vacation to a nice place. You'd also have to ask why a woman would go on a trip with a stranger she meets on a dating site without being a little bit horny and attracted, and no need to think less of a guy for being brazen.

Now, I'm of the belief that a desperate guy who just broadcasts into this forum indiscriminately that he needs a woman to tag along in the quarters of his RV is a different matter than a one-on-one inquiry. The difference is that the offer is open to anyone, not a specific woman he did the work to find, which is beyond lame. And that one is insulting to all the other users of this forum that don't use it for their personal bulletin board. But that's just IMO

a weekend with someone you haven't had sex with and then be unpleasantly surprised while you're there, LOL
You just reminded me of an invitation to a weekend I once accepted, which unto just now was and buried in my obsolete memories archive. Yes, it can get very complicated and embarrassing, even for a guy
 NewYorker58
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2017 5:03:12 PM
It's an insult. Some creep choosing you for sex is not a compliment. Doesn't matter if a trip is attached to it. Women aren't cattle, to be bought or sold🐄
 9Pluto
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2017 11:03:16 PM

It's an insult. Some creep choosing you for sex is not a compliment. Doesn't matter if a trip is attached to it. Women aren't cattle, to be bought or sold🐄

Whoopie ti-yi-yo, get along little dogies!
PoF does remind me of a dense cattle feedlot in Pasco, WA sometimes, except it's the women running the slaughterhouse
Sounds like it was the (lack of) quality and constitution of the creeps you've run into. My memories were a different place and time. Our minds tend to fill in the gaps of these overly generalized questions with the romantic notions and life experiences each opinion carries as baggage.

A handsome stallion and a graceful mare would be better suited for starting any horse trading, on the open plains, not a concentrated farm yard.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2017 8:59:54 PM
To me, it's more like a mental asylum, filled with delusional people
 Cynderella
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2017 5:29:50 AM

Cynderella, I tried sending you an email but guess I am to old...

Art

Never too old....
Such a silly restriction. I get it but...
After 30 years I think we should be able
to contact whomever we wish....we are all
adults here.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/16/2017 2:03:58 PM
Pathetic

I’d be thrilled if a hot momma took me on a trip for sex
 Sundaye73
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2018 2:01:01 PM
I have heard that some time's it is good to travel by yourself, if possible. But be safe travelling as well!
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Travel Companion - hard to find