Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > No replies      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 billybonds
Msg: 2
No repliesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It's very rare, no replies music. I quite like your profile but you're not a girl so it's difficult to comment on your pictures which to me seem okay. The forum's love guru recommends raising your height to 7' 2" and sitting in a vat of fish paste prior to any first meet. He has millennia of data on these matters. Still your dilemma is getting to the first assignation. So you really have to stand out. An example of this would be to leave your profile devoid of all traces of you either written or pictorial. Then making it terse and in a staccato style, type bad boy in your headline, followed in your, about me, by the words motel rooms, booze, sex. Then in your first date section, bad boy high octane sex. I don't know much about the young girls of today but exercising my considerable judgement I think the young ladies of today would respond pronto to that approach. Good luck.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 3
view profile
History
No sex please
Posted: 8/11/2016 4:15:31 AM
I know as little as him ^^^ but as no girlies have yet replied..................

Ignore the fish tips, they don't work or at least not unless you use fresh pilchards.

Your profile is fine. How about inviting the girls to meet you at one of your gigs?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 5
view profile
History
No sex please
Posted: 8/12/2016 4:15:05 AM
Well I don't know what you are doing wrong. Mind, I can't understand why you're here either. I'm not a female but you look on the right side of fit and none ugly.

When I were a lad, (I know, another old git talking about the good 'ol days), at the age of 27, I was fighting them off. Mind I had huge confidence and a new black BMW. I simply wandered up to a woman I fancied and after the mandatory "hello, how are you" to find out that they aren't totally stupid, I simply asked them out, worked most times. I presume it's still the same, visit pubs, clubs and wine bars where the lookers are?
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 6
view profile
History
No sex please
Posted: 8/12/2016 5:25:17 AM
Another pity post... Looked at objectively, I'm afraid your photos are shabby, you're a smoker, a student and have no car. Invite someone to one of your gigs and they'll have to sit there on their tod while you show off. Doesn't sound very inviting, does it?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 7
view profile
History
No sex please
Posted: 8/12/2016 6:02:12 AM
Arrgh - missed the smoking bit. Not good!
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 8
No sex please
Posted: 8/12/2016 10:57:01 AM
Musos at gigs don't make a good date -
I'm surprised that the OP hasn't managed to pull at a show
I never had a problem..........

TucsonPug
Msg: 11
view profile
History
No sex please
Posted: 8/12/2016 2:31:28 PM
Smokes frequently and being 5'4" will certainly count against you. Nothing you can do about the height but smoking ugh!
 Hostess68
Msg: 12
view profile
History
No sex please
Posted: 8/12/2016 2:47:44 PM
Only thing I can see is wrong is that you are online dating with this sad lot and not out partying in the real world. Be lucky friend and as a smoker; I will not date a non smoker. They look at you like a leper and do that hand waving thing... So annoying. Its my choice. 29 is young. You have loads of time unlike the majority of old scared cynics on here lol
 billybonds
Msg: 13
Smoke yourself to death or become your own central bank, reject serfdom and heightists......
Posted: 8/12/2016 3:22:08 PM
Nothing you can do about your height music and keep smoking mate it'll put you in the ground earlier and get you out of this cruel debt strewn world. Alternatively, divide your life into two; the macro and the micro, in the macro quietly add some understated accomplishments like a big fuck you car. In the micro get a six foot girlfriend and tell her to wear her heels and to stop fucking slouching. Politely tell any sub six foot chicks to do one. Also compose an alcoholic rock opera about heightist bitches .....I predict sex , tall girls and lovely small but perfectly formed men will sell. Guaranteed.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Smoke yourself to death or become your own central bank, reject serfdom and heightists......
Posted: 8/12/2016 3:57:08 PM

They look at you like a leper and do that hand waving thing...

That's to rid ourselves of the stench you smokers seem so oblivious to. Do you honestly not realise how much you reek of it?
 Hostess68
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2016 9:36:59 PM
Hmmm! Smokey smokey! I love that smell! Don't date me if you don't like it. Oh so many on here state they don't smoke but they do and you orangutani or whatever you call yourself have just stated why that's not good. Us smokers don't want you.
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 19
view profile
History
No Replies
Posted: 8/13/2016 2:29:53 AM
Musician2012 Msg 18

I am merely asking a perfectly valid question.

I merely wanted to pose the question and get other peoples thoughts on this.

It is a question that has been asked 'ad nauseam' on the UK Forums which, had you carried out a Thread Search, would have led you to the fact that you are not alone in the lack of responses.

There used to be enough serious posters on the UK Forums that this thread would have lasted little more than a couple of answers before being nuked.

Now you may find that some may wind up the OP for entertainment purposes.

Welcome to the UK Forums.
 TucsonPug
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2016 2:32:07 AM
You've just answered yourself, you might not have a problem with being 5'4" and why should you but you've said yourself women have ludicrous requirements regarding height, that's their prerogative and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm 5'3" and spent 27 years with a bloke of 6'5" I have 2 sons who are 6'2" so everyone seems short to me. I'm sure other women have their own reasons ludicrous or not. We're not criticising just offering reasons why you're not getting replies.
 try1more
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2016 3:19:13 AM
it may not be an answer to why you get no replies but here goes.
i think the forums mirror the dating side.
when the forums were very busy, there were posts and threads round the clock and folk were more likely to reply, since the forums have shrunk to next to nothing there have been many more "why no reply threads started."
if you look at the number of views threads have compared to the number of replies you can see that many don't want to join in, i'm sure not all of those lurkers have no opinion they could add.

i can't start threads so i would like to use this one to ask all the girls that post if they would be more likely than not to reply to a message, and what would put them off sending a reply?
i've always found you're more likely to get a reply from someone that posts on the forum, than someone that doesn't.
although even thats not certain.

edit:
oops! looks like the op's cleared off.
re-cycling is quite popular these days, lets see if it applies to threads :-)
 Wendyjoy
Msg: 22
No replies
Posted: 8/13/2016 5:26:40 AM
It's a fact women got more messages than men.. and women are more choosy.... most men want a woman in their lives as a need.. where as women would rather be alone than with the wrong person.. I have been out with a man of 5ft 4 and one at 6ft 4 and it didn't bother me one bit and I am 5ft 7.. I have been on and off here for more years than I can remember.( so a year isn't a very long time).had some good dates , but more horrible ones.. including being sexual assaulted and groped..stalked and been left in a pub ..patience is a virtue and everyone has a right to be choosy and in my opinion without being too shallow.. whatever is meant to be won't pass you by...my daughter met her partner on here five years ago and they have a 18mth old son... so don't give up hope.. you are yet still young.. ( but more ladies want a non smoker than are not bothered)..
 TucsonPug
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2016 6:28:32 AM
In response to Try, I reply to all messages in the same vein they are sent. If the message is polite I will reply politely even if it's a polite sorry but you're not my type but I do make it longer and chattier than that tbh, but if it's a rude message they'll get a rude response but they do get a reply.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 24
view profile
History
No replies
Posted: 8/13/2016 6:42:23 AM

Hmmm! Smokey smokey! I love that smell! Don't date me if you don't like it. Oh so many on here state they don't smoke but they do and you orangutani or whatever you call yourself have just stated why that's not good. Us smokers don't want you.

Oh my aching heart! Spurned by a walking ashtray! :D :D :D

women are more choosy.... most men want a woman in their lives as a need.. where as women would rather be alone than with the wrong person...

That sweeping generalisation doesn't really stand up, I'm afraid. I have come across an awful lot of women who are tree-swingers, afraid to let go of one branch before they've a firm hold of another.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 25
view profile
History
No replies
Posted: 8/13/2016 9:29:56 AM
I sense a change in your demeanour Tigger, more forthright than I thought I remembered you were.

I thought I'd look some stats up on smoking and it was not as easy as I thought at first.

For those interested you can the results for yourself in this link which you will need to cut and paste http://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB14988/smok-eng-2014-rep.pdf otherwise just read my conclusions below.

I doubt many of us here would class themselves as part of the younger generation so most of you will have observed the fall in the number of smokers. The percentage of adult smokers has fallen from 26% in 2002 to 20% in 2012. (compared to around 51% in 1974). Unemployed people seeking work are twice as likely to smoke. The highest smoking prevalence for unemployed people was amongst those aged 25 to 34 (54 per cent) whilst older people over 60 are on average down to around 16%.

Mind this is also further defined by ethnic groupings where for example the prevalence for men was 40 per cent among Bangladeshi, 30 per cent Irish, 29 per cent Pakistani, 25 per cent of Black Caribbean, 21 per cent Black African and Chinese, and 20 per cent in Indian men.

You're more likely to be a smoker if you are in the North of England or Scotland than further south. And much less likely if you are female from an ethnic minority.

My own experience running a singles group which is mainly people whose background is salaried, professional, is that few people in that loose category smokes, around 1% or less.

Conclusion for daters.
If you are a smoker you know you are unlikely to form a relationship with a non smoker. You are fishing in a smaller pond than non smokers. On average you are only likely to appeal to 20% of the population but that gets smaller as you head towards 60 when the number comes down to less than 1 in 6.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 26
No replies
Posted: 8/13/2016 11:55:16 AM
So, broadly we have a fairly short (I'm only 5'6") muso
who smokes & isn't getting any (replies) from a free dating site.
So, he puts up a forum post to get attention, and when that fails
goes off (in a huff ?)......
of course us Old Hands have never seen all this before, have we ?

(grin)

Hostess68
Msg: 27
view profile
History
No replies
Posted: 8/13/2016 2:35:10 PM
So my smoking means that most winkers on POF wont message me... Result!
 billybonds
Msg: 28
No replies .................... M
Posted: 8/13/2016 5:28:56 PM
Like bunny I'm an old hand and of course I can confirm I have also never seen any op in my time on this venerable forum go off in a huff. So the fact that musik has fled the old wisdom factory is indeed a deep worry for me and will lead me into a serious period of introspection simply so I can evaluate my own sorry part in his downfall and hufficide.

Ok introspection over. The equation smoking plenty multiplied by a 1.63 cm height equal no replies is the e equals mc2 of modern dating. Make no mistake if you up the smokes, as chappie as demonstrated in his seminal statistical post " das not capital", you then have to raise your height to sustain your no replies above the negative. In short a tall smoker might get a reply but a chain smoking dwarf won't.

Tell the truth I just past out then , maybe ten minutes, it's Sunday 1. 20am and I'm waiting for Greg, Mo and er......think billy!!!!.... Jessica Ennis....I'm not going to make it my takeaway is weighing on my zzzz sorry I'm going now. Good luck musik, Greg, Mo, Jessica. She's just thrown a javelin out of the stadium and here comes mo..
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 29
view profile
History
No replies
Posted: 8/14/2016 1:57:11 AM
I spent a year working with people at varying stages of drug and alcohol addiction, justanotherchap. The vast majority of them were smokers, even if they were at a recovery stage. It's just another addiction masking an emotional issue which the user doesn’t want to address until they're ready to. Which could be never, of course. Denial is a powerful thing.
 Jo van
Msg: 30
No replies
Posted: 8/14/2016 4:45:52 AM

Denial is a powerful thing.

No it isn't.

I'm both tall and smokey.

It's ok.
I'm tall enough to blow it right over your heads.

On Topic:
No replies?
That's easy.
Stop writing messages, and/or expecting replies.

When you walk down any busy and/or urbane street, you might see several attractive ladies, but if they're not looking at you, in the same "way" that you're looking at them, you don't complain, do you?
Or maybe you do....

It's tragic.
Back in the olden times, when most people lived in small villages and communities, and seldom strayed far from them, there was only a limited choice, within each generation.
Now, people, both men and women, are 'spoiled for choice'.

It all seems like a lot of stress to me, so I've given up.
I can only advise others to do the same.

Become a more proficient onanist, is my advice.
Start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/onanistic

Ah! Gustav Klimt...
HTH

Happy Sunday, it's cloudy.
 Shewymacfee
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/8/2016 10:40:57 AM

Smoke yourself to death or become your own central bank, reject serfdom and heightists.

5'4 ? rings a bell, Smoker? rings a bell,
Sorry if 5'4 plus being a smoker gets you ostracised by someone who has never smoked, or worse than that a past smoker droning on about how good they feel by stopping (in reality suffering from withdrawal symptoms.
Or even someone who now uses Chinese electronic cigarrettes that you do not know what is inside them.
Sorry but I don't care, I put an honest description in my profile, just don't send messages if a 5'4 smoker is not to your taste, nothing gained nothing lost.
At least there is an honest profile, not the drivel that other members use.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > No replies