Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > military scam. Really?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lokithecat
Msg: 1
military scam. Really?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I just went a date with a 48 yr old nice lady. This is her 2nd time on POF ( 1 yr gap) because last year she fell for the military guy scam. You know,he needs $$$ to get home.

I was thinking to myself maybe ($100) .

No. $6,000. WHAT !!!!!!!

Yes. YOU READ IT RIGHT. $5,000 Check,plus $1,000 court costs.

I couldn't believe it.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 2
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/12/2016 11:49:56 PM
And now you've been hit with the "poor me, I'm a defenseless woman" scam where they claim to have it all together, but on the first or second date they ask you for money. If she's got cash to burn on scams, she's got cash to burn on dates...but, uh, oh, I'm guessing she forgot her purse when the bill came up for lunch.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 3
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 9:10:38 AM

I just went a date with a 48 yr old nice lady.

Not sure nice is a good description.

Tell her you served in the military.

Maybe she'll give you a military discount...
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 4
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 2:21:59 PM
Let's try to stay focused here guys. OP didn't say anything about the woman trying to scam him. He was basically calling her dumb for falling for a scammer. No need to turn this into yet another tired ol women are meal whores.

Not to mention the former very popular forum it who turned out to have scammed multiple women to the tune of multi tens of thousands.
 Seki1949
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Military Scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 3:39:52 PM
"...the former very popular forum it who turned out to have scammed multiple women... "

One of ours? One of ours within the last two years on here? Note: I'm not asking for name or identifying details or a public shaming (though it may be deserved).
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 6
Military Scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 4:03:45 PM
I don't know whether they're the same scammer or not. My point is that the woman OP describes may not have been stupid or gullible. Some scammers are very convincing. They've either practiced their 'craft' for a long time and/or prepared their background sufficiently to be very convincing. They may have accomplices and/or documents that backup their story.

They don't even have to tell some sob story, they could like the plain ol thief I met who went into my purse and wrote down my cc number - didn't take the card itself and I didn''t give it to him. (We did not meet through POF and he has not ever posted in the forums that I'm aware of). Was I stupid or gullible that after dating for some time I didn't hide my purse when it was going to be out of my sight?

If all scammers were so transparent that the victim would have to be stupid to fall for it, then there would be a whole lot less identity theft and fake profiles because the ROI would be low.

But I get OP's point. He's smart. She's gullible. Hope being arrogant and without compassion makes him feel better about himself.
 Seki1949
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Military Scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 6:09:39 PM
That's not quite what I was asking.

I had noticed that a regular respected long term male 'forumite' has gone silent in the recent past. More than two weeks, less than 6 months. Here that could mean anything or nothing. It could mean Love, a vacation, an illness, or other interests. Or someone who in the most general way matches your original description.

I'm probably stomping around in the jungle like a clumsy clod. Peace Out!
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 8
Military Scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 6:37:18 PM
No, this forumite was gone awhile ago. I believe there is legal action pending or in progress. I'm kinda hoping he ends up in prison (no, I was not one of his victims - he wrote to me but I was not attracted to him in the least).

That's all I'm going to say. Last time I mentioned a forumite who was a con artist but who'd been gone about 6 yrs at that point, I ended up in banned camp.
 ndm147
Msg: 9
Military Scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 7:32:26 PM
I can spot the military scams easily and found them more on another dating site than here. My late husband was a doctor in the military for 3o years and I was his spouse, so I know the military jargon well. Just ask them what is their MOS or when are they PCSing to their next duty station, where are they deployed ( you would be surprised how many are on peace keeping missions in countries we don't send troops to. ) They have not a clue how to respond!

Many are supposedly in special forces with their rank on the uniform on the picture, but don't know an enlisted rank from an officer.

What irritates me to no end is I support our troops and it angers me that they impersonate those in uniform. I rarely turned them in in the other dating site; not worth my attention since the profiles usually disappeared in a few weeks.
 ndm147
Msg: 10
Military Scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 7:32:48 PM
I can spot the military scams easily and found them more on another dating site than here. My late husband was a doctor in the military for 3o years and I was his spouse, so I know the military jargon well. Just ask them what is their MOS or when are they PCSing to their next duty station, where are they deployed ( you would be surprised how many are on peace keeping missions in countries we don't send troops to. ) They have not a clue how to respond!

Many are supposedly in special forces with their rank on the uniform on the picture, but don't know an enlisted rank from an officer.

What irritates me to no end is I support our troops and it angers me that they impersonate those in uniform. I rarely turned them in in the other dating site; not worth my attention since the profiles usually disappeared in a few weeks.
 zonavar68
Msg: 11
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 11:35:02 PM
Is the 'military scam' a kind of 'home-grown' nigerian scam? It would probably never work here in Australia where we're far less pro-military than the USA.

There are warnings all over almost all dating sites (including POF) about any kind of 'scam' interactions.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 12
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/13/2016 11:45:40 PM
Cynthia...
Curious as to whether the con is a Canadian that played ice sports.
Could you give me a yes or no?
Thanks.
 lokithecat
Msg: 13
follow up
Posted: 8/14/2016 9:07:39 AM
I did text that lady today. It was something about taking a check to the bank. ($5,000). Yes. The cops were at her doorstep. Lol.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 14
follow up
Posted: 8/14/2016 10:04:58 AM
^^What is more interesting to me is why you take such obvious pleasure in what this woman has and is experiencing?

And would she still welcome your texts if she knew what you were writing about her here?
 Seki1949
Msg: 15
view profile
History
A$$holes abound....
Posted: 8/14/2016 11:45:08 AM

Sadly, nothing is sacred to scamsters and con artists.

Heck, they scam funeral announcements for service times and flush out your house while you are attending services for Dear Old Dad. Here, you have to have friends (usually trusted neighbors) house sit for the family while services are underway.

A neighbor across the street from me once got completely (as is completely) cleaned out by a fake moving company (complete with "workers" in uniform and a large truck) while she was at work. Came home to - - - > nothing.

I wondered if it was an inside job set up by some drug addled relative or neighbor who knew her schedule: She was at work, never came home for lunch, and there was plenty of time so not to hurry and arouse suspicion.
 flaneur001
Msg: 16
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/14/2016 2:15:09 PM
BLUEMISS: yes! The regular female forumite lost her house.
 minimetoo
Msg: 17
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/14/2016 6:13:36 PM
^^^ I belive that was Can Iceman or a name to that effect. There was a documentary on CBC about him, it was on Fifth Estate or Passionate Eye or one of those shows. It was about scammers and users on the Internet. They interviewed the former lady who used to post on here. Sad. People have to be careful.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 18
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/14/2016 7:19:34 PM
The Nigerian Scam is nothing new - it's just a new take on an ages-old bank deposit scam that used to be played on suckers in broad daylight right in front of banks.

Scammers would pose as people who needed to deposit money and they'd show a stack of bills to someone on their way into a bank. Claiming not to have an account or an ID, they would ask the Victim to write them a check $1oo under the cash amount so the Victim feels he's making easy money. Check in hand, the scammer give Big Thanks for saving them in a crisis and disappear quick. When the Victim goes into the bank, he discovers the wad of cash he was shown was switched for a stack of worthless paper with only a few bills around it. No names, No IDs, no way to trace the scammers.

Now the same thing is done online, and sometimes online thieves pose as your bank or credit card company. A scam is a scam is a scam, there is nothing new about it. It's called a "confidence game" because the victim trusts the scammer.

Dollar, Euros, schmeckles, clams, it's the same in any language. Politicians do the same thing with your vote.
 hemingway234
Msg: 19
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/16/2016 12:36:22 PM
Nigerian boiler-room Scam.......... it's big business, been going on for years.
 ohenryx
Msg: 20
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/16/2016 2:29:58 PM

Minimetoo
I belive that was Can Iceman or a name to that effect. There was a documentary on CBC about him, it was on Fifth Estate or Passionate Eye or one of those shows. It was about scammers and users on the Internet. They interviewed the former lady who used to post on here. Sad. People have to be careful.

I remember that incident. The guy seemed ordinary, and quite sane. IE, definitely not the norm around here!!!

On the military scam, I knew a woman who encountered that military scam, must have been about 3 years ago. I dated her for a short while, but it was obvious that she wanted someone younger and better looking than me, I was just a stop gap. As she was quite attractive, I was happy to be the stop gap. That is, until she fell in with this guy who was supposedly deployed in Iraq. Much younger, much better looking, and she was head over heels in love with him. Hell, she was talking about marrying the guy as soon as his deployment was over!

Then he started asking for money. I'll give her credit, she was too smart to send any money, but she was all heart broken over it, and wanted sympathy from me. You have to draw the line somewhere, and that was it for me.
 treber2
Msg: 21
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/16/2016 2:50:17 PM

As she was quite attractive, I was happy to be the stop gap. That is, until she fell in with this guy who was supposedly deployed in Iraq. Much younger, much better looking, and she was head over heels in love with him. Hell, she was talking about marrying the guy as soon as his deployment was over!

Really, just how attractive could a woman be if she is so desperate to fall in love that she almost got taken in by the military scam. With normal people, they have to know something is wrong and to this lady's credit . . . she did . . . but she was still heartbroken? You would think that it wouldn't take much to fall out of "love" with somebody once you realize they have been trying to scam you, just as it was so easy to fall in "love".

People who truly fall in love do not just fall in love with "anybody" they barely know. They fall in love with their best friends and lovers. Anything else is BS.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 22
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/16/2016 3:06:27 PM
^^^^^

Sure they do . All the time , in fact.

Whether it's some hottie overseas or someone you date in person, most people fall in love with the IDEA of who they want the other person to be/believe them to be.
 treber2
Msg: 23
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/16/2016 4:19:10 PM
^^^ Most normal people love the idea of being in love, but only desperate people fall in love with a person they don't know because they so badly want to be in love.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 24
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/16/2016 4:49:28 PM
Tons of people, not desperate people, fall in love with people they THINK they know because they want to be in love so bad.

Eventually, they find out they didn't know the other after all.

Does that make more sense ?
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 25
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/18/2016 11:05:03 PM
I worked with a widow who took out a second mortgage on her house to send some lonely-hearts scammer $12,000.
so his "mother could get an operation."
She thought he had to be legit, because he had a teddy bear and flowers delivered to her house.
Small investment, big pay-out for the scammer.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > military scam. Really?