Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Moving away from your home base.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 1
Moving away from your home base.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Well, I moved from where I was"born and bred and when I die I will be OHIO dead." Yet. I moved to Canada. I just wanted to come home to my home state... in my case Ohio.

I have looked at N.C and TX as home. Recently had an attractive offer for Dallas. I know San Antonio, LLarado. I don't know much about Dallas.

What would convince you to move?

LePew
 purplerider1200
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Moving away from your home base.
Posted: 8/27/2016 7:22:44 PM
Only if I hit the lottery.

Since I'm sceptical about having anything long term, (the statistics are just terrible for the second time around) and my pile of lumber is MY pile of lumber, No. I refuse to live in a closet (A.K.A. an apartment) I'd shoot myself first.

I lived in Chicago for a time, going to school. I never spent one weekend there. School let out at 8pm. By 9pm I was halfway home. Used to get up at 5am monday to get to work on time.

(Needless to say, I hated the college experience)
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/27/2016 7:29:08 PM
You have to ask? ........One more F'n winter, shoveling that cold white stuff and having to sweep that stuff off my truck so I can drive home from work.
 Escape2bfree
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2016 11:53:26 AM
Well done op, v brave of you. Nothing. I like where i live, its home. Wouldnt mind venturing for a few months at a time tho, just to see the world but I would always like to come home.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2016 4:33:41 AM
Not a damn thing. It's not that I'm all that thrilled with this area, it's the various complications of my life, being intertwined with other people, such that moving elsewhere is too complicated.
 gtomustang
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/29/2016 7:25:37 AM
"right to die laws"

>>>as pessimistic as that sounds, in this day and our age, how we're going to get treated as old fogeys IS an issue. The Baby Boomers are firing off their last firecracker, and need to consider these fatalistic issues.

I live in a state where the singles are leaving. Still, I have my own place and the ocean and mountains are an hour away. hard to just walk away from those simple things and set roots all over again. Those who have fewer roots, have an easier time.
 Maleman999
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/29/2016 12:28:36 PM
Some people have the "grass is greener on the other side" mindset, but find out the grass is no greener when they get to the other side. They're not counting on their problems and issues to follow them to the other side.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/29/2016 1:30:55 PM
Now just a sec here, Maleman. I am positive, come January, the other peep's grass, way south of here, IS greener than mine. And LePew is pretty much as north as I am, so for her, more than likely, what grass there is, in Texas, IS greener!
 maybeebaybee1
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/29/2016 1:47:11 PM
Are you talking about moving for a man?

Or moving to where you think the men might be more desirable?

Or just moving for the sake of moving?

I actually did move for a guy several years ago. It was a huge mistake. I'm pretty sure there's never going to be any reason I'd move again.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/29/2016 2:48:03 PM
If a woman I found attractive was wealthy with waterfront property..... yeah, I`d give it a go
 Maleman999
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/29/2016 5:12:08 PM

I am positive, come January, the other peep's grass, way south of here, IS greener than mine. And LePew is pretty much as north as I am, so for her, more than likely, what grass there is, in Texas, IS greener!

At least for us people in the tundra, we don't have to worry about weeds, dandelions mowing, and creepy crawlies in the grass in January, as well as the rest of the year. When we shovel snow, it won't grow back.
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/29/2016 8:15:01 PM
I do like my snow and I thought in the summer Texas grass was brown and in Florida it is alligator greenish?

Maybebaebee, I think I am asking for all reasons. I had planned on moving to LLarado a few years ago due to my bf's work. However, I planned on keeping my house here in mothballs until I decided if I liked it. I recently had a job offer in Minneapolis but decided if I couldn't spell it, maybe I should stay in Toledo???

I loved Ontario, but the cost of living was high and I wasn't sure Canada was big enough for the ex and I. Set my sights on LA and as I was driving through my hometown, stopped to see my mom and ended up here caring for her as her dementia was much worse than expected.

Maybe I just have wanderlust right now?

LePew
 Blue_Highway
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/29/2016 9:34:29 PM
I've had stints of living in Hawaii, Utah, Louisiana, North and South Carolina (mostly being in the Marines), but for most of my years I have lived in San Diego. San Diego is beautiful, but it is not all that it is cracked up to be. Right now there is a mass influx of people coming in from out of state creating housing shortages and taking up jobs all driving up costs and wages down. I've never really fit in with the show off "hey look at me" vibe here that has invaded the social scene. Back in the 70's and 80's it really was chill and low key here; not so much anymore.

My long time friend tries to convince me to stay here, but while he makes 6 figures and me under 40k, it's easy for him to say. If you are single here, you really need to couple up to make it. I'm somewhat of a low key free spirit anyways, but the only thing that is keeping me here is helping my mom battle Alzheimer's. I have been looking to move to Humboldt Ca, Oregon, or Kentucky unfortunately when her time comes.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/31/2016 12:46:00 AM

When we shovel snow, it won't grow back

Ha! I used to live at a ski area. We'd shovel snow in the morning and by the time we'd get home in the evening it had grown back and we'd have to shovel just to get in.

OT - No idea what would get me to move again because almost every time I move I think it will be the last and then I move again. I've lived in the mountains, the city, the suburbs, the desert, fresh water island, and a salt water island. I've lived on the east coast, the central tornado alley, the rockies, the deep south, the left coast, and the great pacific northwest.

I think the only environment left to try is outside the U.S. and that would be a big old 'no'
 Walts
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/31/2016 5:11:30 AM

What would convince you to move?

The convincing is going on right now in my life.

I'm very tired. Tired of the speed of which people(and me) are living in the area I am. Tired of the greed. Tired of what that greed is doing to seemingly otherwise good people. Tired of the people with the blinders on.

Just tired.

I've tried keeping a positive outlook and view of it all but, everyday I have to deal with things that would otherwise set me off. Things that I know are "wrong", or at least wrong in my eyes. So, I have to find options that I don't have to see or deal with this kinda stuff. It's going to take quite a few miles, a lot of trees, and more than likely some isolation. It's possible, just gonna take the effort for me to get off my bum and actually do it.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/31/2016 5:55:18 AM
I often have days I think about moving ( running away :/) Probably finances would be the biggest motivation.. where I am is filthy expensive and taxes are crazy.
A nice castle in Spain, a small manor in England, just not in the country. Not a country person.
 gtomustang
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/31/2016 6:44:40 AM
My ex lived in the Twin Cities, said the rental housing market was very small. maybe its changed. Is La Louisiana or Los Angeles? I think people here from both places could tell you stories. Nothing wrong with wanderlust, just don't uproot for the sake the grass is greener someplace. it might be, but human nature is the same every place, unfortunately.
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/31/2016 6:58:42 AM
Surprised nobody in the USA has said Trump or Hillary yet.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/31/2016 9:19:36 AM
I've lived in the Northeast and Southeast.

The East in general is too humid.

Don't care for the cold North nor the tornadoes and hurricanes in the South.

As expensive as Southern California is, we have sunshine with rare shake ups once in awhile.

I'm one of the lucky folks that can afford to live comfortably here.

Nothing would tempt me to move unless I became unemployed.
 gtomustang
Msg: 20
getting to first base.
Posted: 9/1/2016 8:26:23 AM
Clooney, you're the second person to tell me the east coast is humid--I thought it was the ocean air, but that would mean Cali should be humid. Perhaps its just too much desert out there.

Wearfour, you can woo any rich horny heiress you can find here, i'll stick to woo-wooing a train-ee. Seriously, I think moving around (when young) isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least you can say you tried the options and picked a place with that knowledge. Certainly, someone who's life is all about their executive job (for example), can move every five years and make wherever they are, a home.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 21
Getting it in your face.
Posted: 9/1/2016 11:11:19 AM
The coastal currents move South to North on the East coast (warm water/humid) vs the opposite on the West coast (cold/perky nipples).

The Northeast is a bunch of a city a$$holes and the Southeast is loaded with senior citizens that can't drive for sh!t.
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 22
Getting it in your face.
Posted: 9/1/2016 5:01:46 PM
Cloony ? Why would you be getting in my face?

Le Pew

Ok, think I am not going to keep going on here. It seems to be getting ugly.
Have a good evening all.

Le Pew.
 Mz_Dressup
Msg: 23
Original subject, ffs
Posted: 9/1/2016 5:19:10 PM
You think this is ugly??

Have you ventured out in to any other threads lately?

Edited to add: Message 22 changed the subject line first; I think Clooney was playing off that.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 24
Original subject, ffs
Posted: 9/1/2016 7:08:14 PM
^^^
Exactly! Thank you.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Original Butter Bun Burger with spicy fries and a Diet Coke - $4.99
Posted: 9/1/2016 10:59:52 PM
I big, empty, clean, quiet, sunny house in the same city, sure....I'd give it a go. I've also lived in a dozen cities and states, and while living somewhere else is not a fear - it is an inconvenience to pack it up, pick it up, and haul it someplace else. Geez, just give me the remote and let me watch TV in peace....
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Moving away from your home base.