Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > what can i do to increase stamina?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 1
view profile
History
what can i do to increase stamina?Page 1 of 1    
so, i recently joined an outdoor adventure group.
this past weekend, we did a hike up mt. nittany. the initial push took us 600 feet in a straight vertical to the first lookout. most of the women in the group had a good 10 years and 30-40 pounds on me. so i figured i'd have no problem.
wrong!!! they moved like they were shot out of a cannon. they set a killer first leg pace. i kept up, but barely. i didn't get there last, but i didn't keep up with the first group either.
i thought that the 30 minutes of cardio and the three-to-five miles i walk every day would put me in a comfortable position to do these hikes. (pennsylvania trails, by the way, alternate between gravel and loose rock)
i'd like to walk hills after work, but it gets dark so early.
how else can i build stamina? i'd really like to do more hikes.
 FreedomTurtle
Msg: 2
view profile
History
what can i do to increase stamina?
Posted: 9/28/2016 7:20:32 PM
There are two things to keep in mind when you want to increase your stamina.

First, you have to challenge your current stamina level to some degrees. Ideally, you would want to challenge it gradually to reduce any injuries. How to do this? Stopwatch is your best friend. Time yourself and try to beat your previous time. Don't try to beat it every time. Beat the current time, and maintain the new record for a month or when you feel you are ready then repeat.

Second, you get efficient at particular exercises you do. If you want to increase your stamina at climbing vertical, you would want to practice climbing vertical or at least do exercises that mimic similar movements.

For your information, 30 minutes of cardio, and three-to-five miles of daily walk of themselves mean nothing to me as I can't tell the intensity of the exercises. For examples, 30 minutes of cardio in form of swimming 30 laps in a 25 meter long pool would mean something. Walking three miles in an hour means something.
 Coma_White
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2016 1:00:33 AM
Stamina is just conditioning. Hike all the time or go on the treadmill or whatever you have as much as you can. The main part is consistency.
 ApriLikesrosasblancas
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/20/2016 4:34:23 AM
Stairs,...Using a real one..NO machines.!!
Go to a building who have 7 floors or more and do repetitions (going up) each day until you feel comfortable going up not stopping between floors and until you do it without getting short of breath.

Tty to do that on your day off work the first time, because you won't be able to walk for the pain in your calf.
 Tomfiend
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/20/2016 4:29:18 PM
High intensity interval training to to three days per week with steady state cardo the other days.. 70 - 80 % of your maximum heart rate.

But if you are "climbing", you need to work up the muscles you "climb" with... you will find you hit the trails much easier if your workout involves trail like activity. a stair stepper would probably be good if not real stairs.

Good like.
 Walts
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/22/2016 5:49:05 AM
Stairs, or the real deal. We use a lot of different muscles when doing real terrain because of the differences we face when climbing/hiking. Guys half my age call me a mountain goat when trying to follow me when we are hiking/walking canyons to get to our fishy spots. And I'm a smoker.......

I use to use arena stairs for building up stamina. Up and down the whole arena, as long as you can. It hurts but, it works.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2016 10:46:31 AM

i thought that the 30 minutes of cardio and the three-to-five miles i walk every day would put me in a comfortable position to do these hikes

It seems like this is maintaining your current level of stamina.

You have to push yourself to close to your maximum to increase your strength or stamina. The more you push yourself, the faster you gain, BUT you have to have a good sense to back off when you push yourself too far. And their are limits to pushing yourself, where more will result in less results, but most people don't push themselves into that area.

For stamina, I monitor heart rate, distance and time as a way to objectively judge how much I am pushing myself. Then I pay attention to the slightest sign of any injuries and back off if any occur, even while exercising

What to do depends on your access to areas to exercise. I have a life time membership to a health-club, so I tend to use their facilities. I know others that do extreme exercise in their apartment and get very fit.

Currently, on a treadmill I will run at 9 mph and push myself to 93% - 100% of my max heart rate (loosely 220-my age) for 30 seconds, then back off to 3.5 mph till my heart rates drops to 77% of max, then repeat for 40 minutes. It's about 3miles in 40 min with 5 min of cool down. This will naturally tend to increase my stamina as the rest times will get shorter.

The first month I did this, I did get some minor injuries after a 6 weeks of every other day, but I have never run at 9 mph consistently. I had some plantar fasciitis in my left foot, some minor groin strain, I backed off and did strength training till those went away.

I did buy new running shoes with more arch support, that only helped a little. So I built my own custom orthotics to help our my high arch, it works well. Just built up the insole using the rubber from old bike inner tubes till I didn't have any problems. Maybe you won't have any of those problems, I am 10 years older than you.

You could use real stairs, biking, stair masters, whatever is available. You could shoot for 90% of max heart rate or higher. You could do 30 mins or longer, I think 30 mins is likely the best, but I do a little longer. Running is the hardest on your ligaments / tendons, stairs / elliptical machines, swimming have very low impact on ligaments / tendons.

"In one study 4 repetitions of 4-minute runs at 90%–95% of heart rate maximum, followed by 3 minutes of active recovery, performed 3 days per week for 8 weeks resulted in a 10% greater improvement in stroke volume compared to long, slow distance training 3 days per week for 8 weeks. Remember that stroke volume is one of the key components of your body’s ability to deliver maximum oxygen to working muscles."

What I have observed in the past, my heart rate and lung capacity adapts first, then muscle adapt, lastly ligaments / tendons. This is a danger, as you can do cardio without maxing out your heart and feel comfortable doing but injure your tendons, so you need to be very mindful of that danger.

The key is to always push your self to near your max effort, either in strength training or endurance, to get the most benefits, while being mindful of not injuring yourself. And get plenty of rest, for sure take at least 1 day a week (or more) with no exercise.

Really, there are many different ways to increase strength and or stamina, they will all work, some faster, some slower.
Posted: 1/5/2017 2:03:57 AM
I personally, like dance but anything from power walking to climbing stairs will do.
Like Coma said, its just conditioning.

Have fun and it will be a lot easier.
 arwen52
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2017 6:01:20 PM
Weight training. Read Body by Science.

And up the intensity of whatever else you are doing.
 junipermoon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2017 11:47:27 AM

Weight training.

i do too much heavy lifting already.

i did start pushing workouts more. and now that it stays light longer i can do some hill climbs in the evenings. hopefully by spring i can do some of the hillier trails. i just wish pa trails weren't so damn rocky!
 dragonbytes
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2017 10:00:27 AM
Drink plenty of water, it’s especially good to drink 20 OZ first thing in the morning when you wake up.

Test your hormone levels, testosterone levels are directly related to energy levels, for both men and women, although testosterone levels for women are much lower. (Estrogen levels are important for men also, although much lower that for women.)

Compare your estrogen / testosterone levels with what is normal for a 30 year old women and see if you are far off of that range.

Both of these can have a direct effect on your endurance and it will be very difficult to increase stamina if your hormone levels aren’t helping or you are

My experience: I had gotten into the habit of drinking 2-4 cups of coffee mixed with protein powder for the first 4 hours, then going to exercise. While exercising, I do drink lot of water, probably 2 pints.

Still, I think that routine had caused me to be dehydrated with negative effects.

And I have had a lot of experience with how hormone levels can effect endurance, stamina and recovery. Much of the time, the only way to really raise hormone levels is by prescription medication, mostly injecting testosterone but Clomid at least in males can also work.
 Nestaron
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/27/2017 1:46:48 PM
Have lots and lots of sex and when that doesn't work more sex
 Nestaron
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/27/2017 7:00:50 PM
Drink water, eat right, after exercising stretch, and strengthen muscle techniques, massage the muscles you workout to relax their tightness.
Length the time of workouts slowly each week.
 forumslady
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/28/2017 3:26:20 PM
junipermoon- How high was the elevation?
Were you considerably higher up than you usually are when you hike?
(I'm asking because if it is higher, it will effect my answer)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2017 9:10:24 AM

Drink plenty of water, it’s especially good to drink 20 OZ first thing in the morning when you wake up.

Update on drinking 20 oz of water when you wake up.

I often get stomach cramps when I do over 70 ab crunches. I always do the ab crunches at the end of whatever routine I am doing, and it happens after I stop and stand up. Sometimes I have to lie back down and stretch out those muscles.

The water in the AM really helped with that, now I don't get the cramps, I am really surprised by that. Despite the fact that I do drink a lot of water when I do get to the gym, which is often 4-5 hours after I wake up.

I had thought it was related to magnesium levels, and I am sure low magnesium did cause night time muscle cramps, but this exercise related cramping definitely seems to be related to mild dehydration aggravated by exercise.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > what can i do to increase stamina?