Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you collect anything unusual?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LexiInMDR
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Do you collect anything unusual?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
For me it's left handed scissors... I get my use out of all 14 pairs of them. ;-) A couple of them are rare and discontinued.

I also collect model cars, but not much is unusual about that... not many people build them any more though.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do you collect anything unusual?
Posted: 10/13/2016 6:05:06 PM
I can't say I collect them but I do like laughter, and smiles. I guess they can't be put on a shelf unless it's a shelf in your mind.

I think what I am trying to say is that memories of fun times in our lives are kind of like a collection... Maybe not material but maybe also just as real? I don't really know but am just putting it out there for discussion.
 gtomustang
Msg: 3
Does dust count?
Posted: 10/13/2016 6:35:12 PM
Model cars, are you bein' serious now? I'm somewhere past 300 of the glue together, and I guess 40 of the die cast. Didn't plan a collection, just found how to get 'em for only $5-10 and next thing I know I nerded out. Don't have left handed scissors but do have a left handed antique sickle somewhere. I probably have other things I don't imagine i'm collecting, but when the price's right....my father was never one who could pass up a tag sale, so I've inherited some of that, too. My mother used to joke the town dump was where we went to bring our stuff and come back with someone else's other project...sometimes more than what we down there with :)

what can ya say, in a disposable society, its easy to find "Cool" stuff if you know what's really cool...and let everyone else pay retail.
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2016 2:52:58 AM
I like little beach type souvenirs. My oldest daughter and son-in-law do some traveling and she finds things with shells and such for me, I love them. Right now they are stationed in Maryland about 40 some miles north of Baltimore, and there are lots of lighthouses (which I also love) so I'm getting lots of things associated with lighthouses. I like touristy things, don't know why, and I also have some key chains with my first name on them. I used to have them on my key fob but they quickly fell apart so I now have them in a big seashell plate thingie.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/14/2016 4:53:13 AM
The souls of my enemies :) No, too sentimental to do collecting. Tried and failed. Vintage Barbies last go 'round. But then you have to learn all about the Japanese market ( clothing was diff) and then the slippery slope to near living in a cardboard box while owning a $10,000 bit of vinyl
 razors_edge55
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2016 5:12:15 AM
It seems I could be collecting old clocks,,, I just counted and there are ten in this room,,, but like GTO
most are from the dump or were give to me to take to the dump,,, I only have two I keep going as I like the
chime on one the other is a grandfather ,,,but
I like my wine collection better ;-)
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/14/2016 10:45:08 AM
Ouija, I still have my 1st edition Midge that Santa brought me when I was 2 yrs old. She still has her nail polish on.

I collect sewing machines. I have 9 of them and a serger. The oldest one is a 1864 Rockwood with the original leather belt. I also have my mom's 1942 White aka Sears and Roebuck with the knee lever.

The only other thing I collect is the families cremains / urns/ ashes. They sit on top of my upright grand piano. I have only had one person get the creeps when they found out what was in the urns. lol

Le Pew
 Ouija2025
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/14/2016 11:01:05 AM
never had a Barbie as a kid - I knew to quit when I got a #1 blonde and went I NEED a brunette. I do have a head stuffed of vintage Barbie info tho.
Too bad we not closer you could take in a dress for me :)
Posted: 10/14/2016 11:08:42 AM
Had a job stocking a store at night once. Kept finding people's little shopping lists. Thought of collecting them, but didn't.
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/14/2016 11:24:47 AM
Drinks, lots of men are collectors of the Barbies. They are really pretty knowledgeable about the fashions and history of the fashions.

(EDIT) lol Just re read your lists comment Drinks. I get it now. DUH! :)

My daughter collected the Winter Holiday line. She has one for each of her Christmas gifts since she was born. All of them are still in the original box and unopened. BTW she is 31 this year.

Ouija, I have not done a lot of sewing lately but I did measure windows this week to make roman blinds for the living room. I am just now getting my spring cleaning done and will start on them after I get my walls washed down and the new furnace installed.

I used to make most of my clothes and all of the kids clothes when they were little. I do have a dress form in my basement that I am going to bring up and dress up with a straw hat and display "her" in my living room when I get organized. I think it will be "cute". Well maybe over the top cutesy and she will go back to the basement. lol

Lexie, I have a left pair of pinking shears that belonged to my grandmother who used them to cut pieces for quilts. She would take them by train to the J.C. Penny in Dayton or Rockwood, TN to sell and help to support the family.

LePew
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2016 11:45:07 AM
Speaking of Barbies...
Years ago (and for a very short time) there was a company in San Francisco that was marketing "Trailer Trash Barbie" and a friend of mine sent me one (she owned a toy store in Colorado and had ordered a few). You can still find info on these dolls by doing a google search. I sold my Barbie at a tag sale - had two women fighting over her.

You can't buy this Barbie because -
"SAN FRANCISCO (CN) - Two former business partners embroiled in a dispute regarding ownership of "trailer trash" dolls lost motions for summary judgment, because factual issues remain to be determined concerning a partnership agreement.
The case was spawned when Paul Montwillo began dressing Barbie dolls with wigs, make-up and different clothing. His "Trailer Trash Barbie" dolls first hit stores in 1996, appearing in William Tull's In-Jean-ious Active store in San Francisco.
Barbie creator, Mattel Inc. sued Montwillo and In-Jean-ious Active for trademark infringement, and Montwillo agreed to cease using Barbie as the model for his dolls."

Me? I collect taxidermy (now that will raise some eyebrows). :)
 razors_edge55
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2016 12:22:30 PM
no shame here IRS ,(he he) I have friends that collect ,,,frogs ,statues elephants ,,,glass of all kinds
my ex liked anything with a cat on it ( made it easy to find a gift) I have found it's nice to collect and
nice to let it go ,,,this time of year I collect firewood ,,cheastnuts wallnuts ,and soon wild mushrooms ,
my friend is the worist ,,he seems to be collecting ex wives ;-)
but in this day and age ,,not unusual
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2016 12:33:01 PM
^^^

You are so lucky to have chestnuts and walnuts! All I have is a major TON of acorns. The chipmunks find a way into my basement and "deposit" acorns. I am at war with them. But at least the deer and squirrels will have plenty this winter in the North East.
 Maleman999
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/14/2016 3:00:04 PM

All I have is a major TON of acorns. The chipmunks find a way into my basement and "deposit" acorns. I am at war with them.

I'm fighting a similar war. I'm embroiled in Squirrel Wars. It seems like the neighborhood squirrels have banded together and all decided to use my backyard as their winter supply storage facility. Any time I go in my backyard, there always 5 or 10 new holes dug up-either in the lawn or flower bed. My lawn looks like a 20 or 25 hole golf course. I've used all sorts of things-hot pepper powders, moth balls, etc- to put out on the lawn and flower beds that I thought would to keep them away. But nothing has worked so far. Since I don't buy enough to cover the entire lawn and flower beds, they just go to the areas that aren't affected. My backyard smells like a spice rack. So I just have to play the part of the crazy squirrel chaser whenever I see them.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2016 3:21:48 PM
^^^
Hah! I have the exact same problem. Here's my solution:

12 gauge shotgun. I do shoot chipmunks. But the squirrels get a reprieve... I don't shot them.

I too have tried all the natural methods for squirrel control and they don't work. But, a "squirrel chasing dog" is my new method. It (she) works!
 Maleman999
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/15/2016 8:37:43 AM
^^I decided to try something different in squirrelmania, since anything I put on the lawn and flowerbeds doesn't work, and I don't have a shotgun or dog. I bought mouse glue traps and a bag of peanuts. I put a peanut on each glue trap and put them in different areas of the lawn. Let's see them dig holes if they have a glue trap stuck to them. I put them out yesterday, and this morning, I noticed one of them gone. It could be a racoon that has it stuck on, since I've seen them around here as well. But that's just as good.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/15/2016 11:17:23 AM
why not just put squirrel food in the neighbours yard? :/ Glue traps are awful :( We have oodles of squirrels here.. cute but chew power lines. Love racoons.
But what do you collect maleman?
 Double Cabin
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2016 2:01:04 PM
Great post Doremi.

I collected stamps, coins, and baseball cards as a kid. Today I just like to go hiking more than anyhting else.

I do have 6 backpacking stoves and two camp stoves I haven't used in years. I've got tents, packs, all kinds of outdoor gear I also haven't used in years. Does that make me a gear hoarder or a collector?
Posted: 10/15/2016 5:21:14 PM

Had a job stocking a store at night once. Kept finding people's little shopping lists. Thought of collecting them, but didn't.

Drinks, lots of men are collectors of the Barbies. They are really pretty knowledgeable about the fashions and history of the fashions.

(EDIT) lol Just re read your lists comment Drinks. I get it now. DUH! :)

Um...what?? I don't get it.
 cooldog65
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2016 8:49:53 AM
I collect vinyl records which isn't unusual. I do have some records where I have different pressings from different countries. The foreign pressings were usually released in smaller quantities. I have one song where I have pressings from 7 different countries.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2016 9:57:22 AM
I do have 20 credit cards and five checking accounts, it's starting to seem like a collection. I do have a collection of 500 silver age comic books, but I have them because I never threw them away. I did buy archival acid-free boards with sleeves to store them in since they do have some value.

The only item I ever bought that is like someone collecting was an out of production vinyl record Tommy, the London Symphony orchestra version, I have 3 copies of the album, at the time you couldn't get a CD of that version. I just liked the album.

I have a lot of old stuff, but I am not much of a collector.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/17/2016 6:17:19 PM
The secret to collecting is to NOT let friends and relatives know what you collect--or they start helping you, and you end up with a lotta stuff you can't trash because Susan, or Becky, or Lynn gave it to you, lol! I'm collecting nothing now, but have and keep out/rotate, hands, bears, giraffes, boxes.
 gotahubcapdiamondstarhalo
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/18/2016 6:48:42 AM
Dead relatives.

I have become immersed in genealogy since retirement and have discovered so many interesting things about my family.

I have been getting into DNA and have even helped a couple of adoptees and descendants of adoptees connect with their genetic relatives as a labor of love.

It is a welcome respite from dealing with some of my living relatives during a very difficult time for our family - I am the oldest, and responsible, yada, yada - while I try to do what is best for our 92 yr old demented father with no help - but just criticism, even allegations and sabotage - from my sisters (my brother is loyal).

Oh, well, I saw my mother down the road with her Alzheimer's 5 years ago (thanks, Wooby), and got no support during that - one sister in denial - so why should it change now?

The dead are so much more fun ... right, mom?
 LexiInMDR
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2016 6:59:38 AM
I guess I'm unusual among females because I don't collect anything ceramic. My mom, aunt, granny etc all do, but I never understood the appeal of it... *sigh*
 gtomustang
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/18/2016 7:08:56 AM
Ugh, did the 5 year prison sentence of caretaking for demented parents. Used to wish I wasn't the only child stuck with it, but I've heard horror stories of families who got in the way of the responsible child who stepped up to the plate.

As for ceramics, I guess its the artsy/crafty element. My mother did a small Hummel figurine collection. Went to a large swapmeet Sunday and found out the demand for old Buddy L and Tonka trucks is supposedly on the decline, grandparents are buying them now as toys again for the grandkids. Can't hurt those things, only leave 'em out in the sandbox to rust in the rain. So, they are a practical collection, as long as you don't overpay.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you collect anything unusual?