Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Training For Politicians?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HonestMan3687
Msg: 1
Training For Politicians?Page 1 of 1    
I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

Our military men and women go through a very tough training in order to defend our country. And among those who want to be special forces their training can me sort of nightmarish and it is definitely not for a faint heart. Yet, I feel they are underpaid and many of them have a hard time assimilating when they return from war. And we as the people of this country we just forget about them.

At the same time, politicians are always off the hook. It doesn't matter if a person has experience in any level of government. If his message his attractive people can elect him all the way to the executive branch of government. At the same time, that person also gets to be the commander in chief of our armed forces.

It doesn't matter if his actions and decisions put the life of our country at risk including those who defend us, he always gets off the hook. He gets a nice pension after his term and with book deals and speaking assignments he is all set after the retirement.

That's why I was thinking shouldn't we be put much stricter requirements for who get to be our president/commander in chief? Shouldn't he go through some some kind of institution for training in the art of leadership, negotiation, and statesmanship before he can start his campaign for any branch of government such has Congress etc?
 Jo van
Msg: 2
Training For Politicians?
Posted: 11/10/2016 10:10:42 AM
I agree, it's laughable. Some minimum requirements would be a good idea.
I'd settle for:
1/. a minimum IQ level.
2/. Sensible hair.
3/. No pending sexual assault claims.
4/. Regular-sized hands.

Someone will be along in a minute, to accuse you of being a "sore loser".

deetristate
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/10/2016 10:53:31 AM
Like the Sciences Po Paris?

Are the politicians any better?
 Jo van
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/10/2016 12:46:08 PM

Like the Sciences Po Paris?

Are the politicians any better?

Nope. It's no good.
I've read it several times, and I still don't know WTF you mean...
care to explain??

"Sciences Po Paris"

Walts
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/10/2016 1:13:39 PM

Shouldn't he go through some some kind of institution for training in the art of leadership, negotiation, and statesmanship before he can start his campaign for any branch of government such has Congress etc?

True "leadership" cannot be taught in a classroom or thru books. The training itself starts very early in a person's life, and the first teachers are the parents. One of the biggest problems with "leadership" courses(oh they are out there) is the ability to "gauge" or "grade" on a person's ability to actually "lead". The other, is to have a true definition of what you expect out of a "leader".

Now, I have been told Mr.Trump is a "leader". And then, I have also been told thru his past employees, that no, he sucks at it. Leaders, show by example. They don't, tell, they show. When they talk it contains the word "we", not "I". They don't expect anyone to do anything that they, themselves, would not do themselves. If someone is asking the masses to eliminate something out of their lives, for the betterment of us all, he/she will be the first to do so. Rarely is a leader given anything of value, unless he/she shows that he deserves it. Not by words, but, by actions. Rarely does a leader have to ask, it's given, because he/she has earned enough respect from those that are looking for some direction.
One of the other things you will see from true leaders, is their rising to the top when the shiat hits the fan or things going a little offside. Standing up, first in line, to take the hit. Remember the line, "these elections are rigged"????? THAT my friends is talk of a loser, or someone who is making excuses for a possibility. Any winner knows it. Most losers use it. A true leader colours show up when things are bad, not after they have won a battle fought by others, and then stand all proud as a peacock, after the fact. It's standing in front(not behind a form of protection) when the mud is flying.
A leader knows that he/she is only as good as those that we consider lowest on the totem pole(the so called weak links). For those are the people that need/want a true leader. The are usually the ones that will do anything to reach the goal set forth. To gain their confidence, and respect(it goes hand in hand) is all that is required. There are more than one or two ways to accomplish this but, it really can't be taught. It has to be taught and it evolves,thru a lifetime of situations.
Only time will tell for this president-elect. It's up to him, no one else. Personally, he should have thought a bit before saying certain things that he did during this last little battle. Cause, now, it's his turn to carry the ball. Will he be able to gain the confidence of enough "good" people to help him along the way. Or, has he already caused enough division that he is gonna get it up the bum without the lube????? It takes more than one person to run this country, and I really don't think Mr.Trump truly understands or will understand that. He's had more than enough opportunity to learn from his past phuck ups. (Business failures, relationship failures, etc). But, from what I have seen, he has the classic ability to point to others for his problems.
 gtomustang
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/10/2016 1:47:51 PM
Until Trump, there was a training path to the White House--one either worked up thru local politics to perhaps Senate or Cabinet or was a former Vice President, or one was a general in the army. Generals didn't always make the best presidents (Grant comes to mind), but voters did accept the idea of a politican working up the ladder to the top job.

Can a narcissist accept the advice of experts, learn on the fly after living a TV show where someone could yell "Cut" and there would be a re-do? the whole world is going to find out.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/10/2016 2:17:19 PM
In the great scheme of things, it matters little whether someone has "qualifications" or not because the moment a politician is Corrupted (paid off, bought off, influenced, etc); little else matters.
 Maleman999
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/10/2016 4:01:44 PM
Hitler met the qualifications of great leadership. He convinced a whole nation that every non-German is the enemy. I agree with what Walts said-that the training for leadership starts at an early age. Trump is in a unique situation, in that he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and has never been at the other end of the spectrum, where he had to start out as Joe Average citizen, working at MacDonald's through high school, and starting off as go-fer or a junior position in an office. So I don't see how he could even relate to the majority of people. He knows people of every economic level want jobs to pay the bills, and a lot of people have a lot of prejudices, but that is about as far as it goes in understanding the average person.

What I wonder is how much time is Trump going to devote to running a nation and how much is he going to devote to continue building his brand and personal investments. I'm sure he's even shocked he won, and was probably making plans to continue with his personal business ventures before the election, since the polls said he's going to lose anyway. Maybe he'll get personal advisors to do the day-to-day business of running the country, while he takes care of his business ventures. He doesn't seem to understand much about politics as it is.
 deetristate
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/10/2016 5:01:58 PM
He is now in charge of the biggest construction company in the world with endless funds.

If he can ignore the ingrates, he may have fun.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/10/2016 5:45:45 PM

Msg: 5
Sciences Po Paris

Paris Institute of Political Studies.
 LGL1975
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2016 7:35:32 PM

Shouldn't he go through some some kind of institution for training in the art of leadership, negotiation, and statesmanship

No. The American political system is already dominated by rich creeps and ivy league snobs who are completely out of touch with the circumstances of ordinary people. It would just be a matter of time until your institution is corrupted and infiltrated just the same.

A better idea is to go back to what works and limit who can vote to those who own property and have demonstrated some measure of personal responsibility. Then start putting important decisions like education back under local control. This would eliminate many democrats and republicans with more competent voters able to focus on the well being of the middle class and society as a whole.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2016 8:57:34 PM
Putting restrictions on candidate eligibility is the same crime as restricting voting eligibilty. If the USA want to stay 'free', that means any idiot can vote, and any idiot can run for office. It's up to the rest of us idiots to realize how much of what is put out there is hot air and vote accordingly. It doesn't always mean the best, most competent, most 'eligible' candidate will win - but it does mean that whatever the outcome, my vote still counts. We chose freedom over tyranny a long time ago, and it's not going to change no matter which dictator wanna-be is holding office.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2016 4:18:20 AM
Very good question mate.

First off i think anyone looking to be in local or national government should have had a job first. Actually went out
and worked hard for a wage. It would maybe then give them a clue as to what it's like to struggle to pay bills and try
and have a decent wedge left just to do things without worrying about cash.

Over here far to many politicians get dropped into safe seats because of who they know and not what they know.

Years ago i worked with a geezer called jimmy kerr. He was a decorator like myself.
He is dead now which is a pity. Jimmy was a union man. A labour party stalwart.
He worked on the local council here in edinburgh. The difference being jimmy went AFTER his work
to do council business. All councils were like that. Folk who were trying to make a change.

He got no wages for it. Only expenses for bus fares and food. I asked him why councillors were
all middle class arseholes these days. His reply? They started paying a wage for councillors.
It then became a job. A wage. No fight to change anything.

Right out of uni. Safe council seat. Then toe the party line. Safe mp's seat. Big money big pension.

All parties are like that though. A plague on ALL the fvckers. Even those i vote for.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2016 3:21:08 PM
I also answer a firm no.

Yes, of course I want people who actually understand science, to make science decisions, and who understand medicine, to make medical decisions. One thing we ca't seem to get these days, is anyone who understands what it's like not to be rich.

Anyway. The way ALL political power is "done," is that whatever the process chosen to arrange for who gets to have power, it WILL become the primary area of contention at all times, and WILL become thoroughly corrupted as soon as it is established.

If we set up limits on who could become President, based on education, the people who control WHAT education is required, and which institutions are allowed to provide it, THOSE people will be the ones targeted for manipulation by the rich and already powerful.

In short, when you change the system, you don't end corruption, you just smear it around a bit.

Corruption is in the nature of human beings. Therefore it isn't something that you can "fix," by making a new rule, it's something that you have to ACCEPT THAT YOU MUST CONSTANTLY MONITOR AND FIGHT.

We hoped that Freedom of Speech and of the press would balance things out a bit, but of course, the rich and powerful just arranged to gain control of the press and of the other means required for speeches to be heard.

And no, we don't want to go back to limiting voting to property owners. That sort of mindless quick-fix thinking, is based on a cross between the idea that people with a lot of wealth, are more likely to think very carefully; and the idea that anyone without property will be mindless thoughtless and greedy. It ignores the fact that on the whole, EVERYONE is mindlessly greedy, and the people with a lot already, are actually MORE likely to want to cheat to get more. Not less. Besides, if you think that you would still be allowed to vote because you "own" a house, wake up. Unless you own it outright, it's your mortgage holder who would be deciding the entire course of your, and your childrens lives.
 junipermoon
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2016 6:15:27 PM
anyone running for president should have to pass a basic civics test. they should have to name the three branches of government and explain each one. they should know how a bill becomes a law. they should understand the emancipation proclamation, the louisiana purchase and the dred scott decision. they should know the capital of each state. they should know the history of the federal reserve. they should have an understanding of the constitution, demonstrated by analytic essay. they should demonstrate an understanding of the court system.
have i made my point?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/13/2016 12:18:12 PM

That's why I was thinking shouldn't we be put much stricter requirements for who get to be our president/commander in chief?

There already are strict requirements in place.

They are called primaries and general elections.

The US doesn't officially gain its "leaders" by military coups, or successor appointments, inheritance (thought there has been some familial connections at times), or organized political assassinations by opposition parties. Like so many other countries.

Candidates have to present themselves and their cases before the public and electorate, and more of the public and electorate have to do use their brains and do their job and demand proper leadership, statesmanship, and competence , if that's what they really want from their "leader".

From the "FiveThirtyEight" website:

"Early voting surged. Election Day voting plummeted. The net result: A smaller share of eligible voters cast ballots in 2016 than in either of the previous two presidential elections.

The raw number of votes rose: About 1.4 million more Americans voted in this year’s election than in 2012, a total which itself was down from 2008. But the electorate was growing in the meantime: About 57 percent of eligible voters cast ballots this year, down from 58.6 percent in 2012 and 61.6 percent in 2008, which was the highest mark in 40 years."

"57%" is not getting the job done.
 Maleman999
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/13/2016 7:20:58 PM
Politicians should get potty training. Or is it potty mouth training?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Training For Politicians?