Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone had a premonition?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 1
Has anyone had a premonition? Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
A little while ago when I was on a busy train, I took a seat which was positioned so my back was to the doors. Someone got on the train and had to stand in the doorway. No biggie...that always happens.

My long hair was in a pony tail and I had a strange feeling come over me that this person might chop it off. Stupid random thought right? However, the feeling was so strong, I curled my pony tail around my shoulder and held it until the passenger got off the train.

Remarkably, on the news that evening, it told of a man going round cutting off people's pony tails on the train.

Has anyone else experienced a premonition which came true?

xlr8ingme
Msg: 2
Has anyone had a premonition?
Posted: 11/27/2016 4:40:47 PM
I think sometimes we have strong intuitions that guide us into making better decisions. They may be primal, spiritual, or based on life experience. Some of us have a deeper connection to the "energies" around us, therefore intuitively have a "sense" others often ignore. You simply paid attention.
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/27/2016 5:32:10 PM
I did and at the time I thought what a stupid thing to think of.....someone cutting off my ponytail. I couldn't believe it when it was on the news that evening. This guy didn't only target women.....he chopped off some guys hair too and they didn't even know it.

I've never had a premonition like that before.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/27/2016 5:38:13 PM
Like a radio signal, I believe we can pick up on other's intentions if we pay attention. I think some can pick up signals better than others. Like some radios are staticky and some are crystal clear.

Perhaps because he was in close proximity to you ... you were better able to read the signal ?
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2016 10:34:17 PM
Any premonition type thing I've ever had or seen happen has been from hearing something you kind of ignored until it fit a situation, or come from knowing someone so well that it's pretty easy to guess things that might happen. When nothing comes of a thought or dream, we tend to forget it, but when something does happen, then we think it's amazing. I have yet to see any kind of true premonitions. An example is, and I'm being very simplistic, you never noticed how many red cars there are, but then you like one you saw, or you like a guy who has a red car, something like that, and all the sudden you are seeing red cars everywhere. Our minds work in funny ways, but usually it's a pretty simple reasoning behind it.
 gcdeb
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2016 11:14:11 PM
I once woke from my sleep at around 1am with a strong vision of my son's mobile phone falling into the water. He was out fishing with a friend that night and I had to resist the urge not to call him and tell him to be careful with his phone. Literally about a minute later, he called and was very distraught and told me his phone had fallen into the water and he was not able to recover it.
 Coma_White
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 12:36:41 AM

A little while ago when I was on a busy train, I took a seat which was positioned so my back was to the doors. Someone got on the train and had to stand in the doorway. No biggie...that always happens.

My long hair was in a pony tail and I had a strange feeling come over me that this person might chop it off. Stupid random thought right? However, the feeling was so strong, I curled my pony tail around my shoulder and held it until the passenger got off the train.

Remarkably, on the news that evening, it told of a man going round cutting off people's pony tails on the train.

This is a type of confirmation bias. If you compare the amount of times you had a thought like the one on the train that predicted something to the amount of times you had a thought that didn't predict something, you'll realize that the amount of positive predictions are extremely low and no higher than chance. Another example would be thinking about a song you hear on the radio later that day. It's cool when it happens but it doesn't compare to the amount of times you think of a song you don't hear the same day or the songs you hear that you didn't think about earlier.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 2:30:38 AM
I live in Calgary. One afternoon I was driving west on Pegan Trail, about to go north on 36 St. There was a cop stopped at the red light going north. I got the thought, that he was going to hit me. Sure enough, first red light and he rear ended me. He admitted he bent down to pick up his pen.
 Jo van
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/28/2016 3:21:14 AM

Erm... It didn't actually "come true", did it..?
And you have no way of knowing if the guy standing in the door of your train,
was the same guy, who was going around chopping off pony tails..

So your "premonition" wasn't really a "premonition" at all, just an irrational fear, or maybe you'd already "heard" the news, sort of 'subliminally', maybe while talking to someone, it was on in the background, and "registered" in your brain, without you realising it.
There's always a logical explanation.
You had a "premonition", with 'hindsight'.

There are no "premonitions". No magic, no 'woo'.
Despite things often seeming "real" to the individuals concerned, the human brain is just as fallible, as all our other parts.

I'm sorry if my rationality offends .
Have a lovely day.
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/28/2016 12:46:33 PM

So your "premonition" wasn't really a "premonition" at all, just an irrational fear, or maybe you'd already "heard" the news, sort of 'subliminally', maybe while talking to someone, it was on in the background, and "registered" in your brain, without you realising it.

That may be true, Jo Van. Saying "without you realising it" explains why some people have dreams which come true. Our brains are very complex.

A premonition is described as a strong feeling that something is going to happen and usually quite an unpleasant event. Same as what gcdeb said with her sons' mobile and BLUEMISS with the cop hitting her car.

People may prefer to think of a "premonition" as nothing but sheer coincidence. Either way, I find it quite interesting.
 Maleman999
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/28/2016 12:51:30 PM

Literally about a minute later, he called and was very distraught and told me his phone had fallen into the water and he was not able to recover it.

Did he catch the fish that was using his phone and imitating his voice to call you?
 gtomustang
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/28/2016 4:13:41 PM
Coma does have a valid point. Strangers being attacked on trains is no longer a random thing, unfortunately. This time it was snipping hair, but it could have been frotteurism. If the premonition had been a classical radio station would play an Ozzy Osbourne song, or
a green alien striped like a zebra came to you on the train and spoke Oxford English and then it happened...that's pretty unique, and the odds of it happening are so rare, i'd call it premonition. Still, there is the chance you read a vibe, or dare I say it, you share a freaky mindset with the person who did the cutting, and you both thought, "Wow, what a great place to pull it off! An opportunity too good to pass up!"

not to say that you do share a freaky mindset:), but sometimes we can "predict" something's going to happen b/c we know it could happen, we see the odds that weigh in its favor at a particular moment, and we get proven right.
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/28/2016 5:33:26 PM

Still, there is the chance you read a vibe,

That's what I was kinda saying, gtomustang. A vibe. Good choice of words as that is pretty much what a "premonition" is. :)

I get the feeling, though, most of the posters here are sceptical or don't believe in premonitions. That's all good because neither did I until this intense feeling on the train that day. Just a wild thought came to my head - the crazy thought of someone wanting to cut off my ponytail. How ridiculous. I was alarmed, however, that my crazy thought was mentioned on the news that night.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/28/2016 5:45:28 PM
I wish I had a premonition telling me not to bother participating in this discussion
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 6:03:39 PM
Premonitions.... Creepy feelings..... That tingly, electric feeling that goes up your spine and twists your guts when you actually experience something that you just know...... Without having to think about it. Just feeling how an experience or person or place strikes our psyche. Then, analyzing what happened. Afterwards.... In the past.

To deny this feeling is to deny you are alive. It's hooked to our senses.Our physical, blood and flesh bodies And, our blood and flesh brains.... After all. We do know more about our physical bodies then we do about our brains. I've heard we only use maybe 15 to 20 % of our brain. Who knows what the rest does?

I'd say, eventually we will know. If our brains, and wants, needs and desires don't get us first.
 gcdeb
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 6:38:30 PM

Did he catch the fish that was using his phone and imitating his voice to call you?
Did you miss the part where I said he was out fishing with a friend? I'm not sure what it's like in your part of the world mm, but here in Australia it's quite the norm for more than one person to have a phone on an outing.
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/28/2016 8:13:30 PM

I wish I had a premonition telling me not to bother participating in this discussion

Why, Butterchicken? It's just a light hearted topic. :)

Maybe I should have put this thread in the Science and Philosophy forum. But even if I did, I'd probably get the same feedback.

I really didn't think this subject would be faced with such a measure of criticism. I'm just asking if anyone else has had the experience of .....lets say....a "gut feeling" and their "vibes" were correct.
 daynadaze
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 8:59:43 PM
Well shoot, now I'm not alive because I can trace all my gut feelings to things that are perfectly normal. LOL

I don't see criticism, maybe I'm missing it, but instead different opinions based on people's experiences.

Try writing things down that feel eerie or forbearing, no matter how trivial, and your dreams too, as soon as you wake up write down whatever is going on in your head, don't try to make it make sense. Just jot stuff down free-form, and maybe a year later, go back and take are really good look. Your discovery may be totally different from mine, the point is to find how you really feel when you aren't caught up in the moment.
 Coma_White
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 9:49:45 PM
The strangest experience I ever had was meeting a lady that worked as a contortionist in Toronto. She was into all sorts of circus tricks like fire breathing and such. Anyway, I read the Lesser Keys of Solomon and then had a dream about one of the spirits in the book. There is no description of this being's appearance in the book or any other book I've ever heard of so nothing could have influenced my dream. In my dream, I went into an elevator that had symbols instead of numbers for the floors. It stopped once it got to his symbol. I walked out and had lunch with my friends in the food court of our local shopping mall and the spirit was there just hanging out. His skin was a bit dark like a South American person, his hair was long, his face had soft features, and he wore white robes. I told my friend that I had a dream about this spirit because she was into stuff like that and she told me exactly what the spirit looked like, what he was doing, and where he appeared in my dream. It still makes no sense to me. I don't believe in psychics or mediums, but there's no way she could have known those details.
 deetristate
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/29/2016 4:10:27 AM
many years ago, i used to keep a friend's daughter a lot.

she had something.

one day she just started singing, "you got a present, you got a present,' and skipping around. within the hour. fedex delivered a package from a friend that i had no idea was coming.

another day. her mom was to pick her up at 5. but around 3. she ran to the window and said. "mommy's coming." of course i pulled her away and said. " not for a while," and started to play a game with her.
within 10 minutes, her mom showed up and picked her up because she had completed her errands early.

the girl was 3 or 4 when these things happened. there were several other such events.
she would guess a number out of the blue that applied to whatever was going on or start singing a song before the radio was turned on to that very song and other small things.

i can't explain it.

i should ask her mom whether that still happens. all these years later.
 Jo van
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/29/2016 4:45:22 AM

When I was about 6, or 7, something happened to cause me to lie in bed, thinking... about stuff...
It was the moment when I finally figured it all out.
I can't remember what prompted these thoughts, maybe a friend's Dad or Grandad had died...
But I'd finally "put all the pieces together", and realised we were all going to die, and became very upset.

I went downstairs, and demanded to know the truth from my parents.
With precision, forensic cross-examination, and demanding that they give me simple yes/no answers.
They were quite amused, as I recall, and attempted to console me that , "yes, that's true", but "not for a very, very long time".
I remember still feeling so "betrayed", that this bombshell of truth had been deliberately withheld from me.

Just 17 years later, my Mum died, and just 30 years after that, so did my Dad.
You couldn't make it up.
Spooky.
Once, I had a dream, too.

Have a nice day.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2016 4:49:04 AM
Not sure about waking premonitions per se, but I've experienced enough of a variety of things to be sure there is more to the world than the most pedestrian opinions allow.

I have occasionally heard people thinking out loud, literally. It sounds like mumbled normal speech, without environmental echoes. I've had detailed dreams in advance of actual events. That sort of thing.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/29/2016 5:39:51 AM
Yes.
I think some people are just more hmm, open.
Like how animals can pick up vibrs or the aura of someone

Jo Van, you made me laugh :) I know a woman utters ever stranger things than I do - notice a strange cut on your arm, no idea how it happened, she said stigmata. Ha! I use that now.. makes convos about injuries way shorter and more pleasant for me.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/29/2016 6:03:05 AM
^^^
I know a woman utters ever stranger things than I do - notice a strange cut on your arm, no idea how it happened, she said stigmata. Ha! I use that now..

That's funny, ouija<

My stepson used to date a woman who was born with a birth defect. Her left arm ended with rudimentary fingers right below her elbow. Her mom was prescribed 'thalidomide' when she was pregnant and it was later discovered that this drug produced birth defects.

She got along fine for the most part---had a good sense of herself as well as a sense of humor<

Her reply when asked about 'it' was----(totally serious, deadpan expression) 'Farm Accident'----nuff said....hahaha---still cracks me up when I think about it~
 Jo van
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/29/2016 1:32:34 PM

I've heard we only use maybe 15 to 20 % of our brain. Who knows what the rest does?

A lot of people say this, but it's not true.
True, they don't (yet) know what a lot of it does, and which bits do what, and/or how exactly, but advances in technology; MRI, and CAT, (MEG, EEG etc) are giving them new insights.
It's a fascinating area.
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroimaging
It won't be long, 'til they really can "read your thoughts".
-But with science, not with "magic".

When my late Dad had his first big stroke, he was left in a 'coma', the doctors at the hospital showed us the scans, and pointed out the (massive) areas which had permanently "died", from oxygen deprivation.
They told us that if he regained consciousness at all, ( which they doubted) he'd definitely be paralysed on one side, maybe both, that he'd also lost the power of speech, some memory probably, and that he might remain "vegetative", forever.
They didn't hold out much hope.
It was close to midnight, they said there's nothing we can do, so they sent us home.

When I got back the next morning, (After first getting him a signed copy of Tony Benn's latest book, whom we both admired) he was sitting up in bed, eating breakfast, and joking with the nurses.

And a gaggle of doctors were huddled in the corner, looking at his scans, and then looking at him, and then just shaking their heads, and laughing. (This was in 1987, and they've made massive advances, since then)

He was very weak on one side of his body, they were right about that, but not "paralysed", and he had some 'facial palsey', (temporary too, as it turned out) and had to teach himself to walk again, but still 'sharp as a knife', mentally, still bi-lingual, still quoting Shakespeare, and Socrates, and still full of shit, and a PIA!
He discharged himself two weeks later, and walked out unassisted.

The brain's very "plastic", and it can 'rewire' itself, when areas which normally perform a particular function, break down or get damaged. (Not always, but often)
It's like the old "RAID" technology of computer storage. - Built-in redundancy, for "fault tolerance".
There are many stories, including the famous one about the guy with basically, only the brain 'stem', and just a very thin layer, or the guy where they surgically separated the two halves, to treat his epilepsy, or people who'd suffered massive traumas...
But I digress..

The 10 percent of the brain myth is a widely perpetuated urban legend that most or all humans only use 10 percent (or some other small percentage) of their brains. It has been misattributed to many people, including Albert Einstein.[1] By extrapolation, it is suggested that a person may harness this unused potential and increase intelligence.

Changes in grey and white matter following new experiences and learning have been shown, but it has not yet been proven what the changes are.[2] The popular notion that large parts of the brain remain unused, and could subsequently be "activated", rests in popular folklore and not science. Though mysteries regarding brain function remain—e.g. memory, consciousness—the physiology of brain mapping suggests that all areas of the brain have a function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_the_brain_myth
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone had a premonition?