Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."      Home login  
 AUTHOR
There's no such thing as an "atheist."Page 1 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Using the same burden of proof that some people require to prove the existence of God, nobody can prove that the mythical "atheist" exists.

It's really funny how often people who claim to be "atheists" try to use words like faith and belief to prove "atheists" exist.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 2
There's no such thing as an atheist.
Posted: 12/15/2016 11:52:28 AM
An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in any gods.

Apparently for you, that definition counts as a victory.
Posted: 12/15/2016 1:35:11 PM
I've read about "atheists." I've read your definition before too.
I've even met people who claimed to be "atheists."
I still don't have enough faith to believe "atheists" exist.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/15/2016 6:33:56 PM

I still don't have enough faith to believe "atheists" exist.

Pple who call themselves atheists do exist, and many of these will outline a rigorous process by which they hold their assertion; but from what I've seen, they fail (or ignore) to see the limits of their means or methods. Hence, the link below:

http://www.near-death.com/religion/atheism/an-analysis-of-the-ndes-of-atheists.html
Posted: 12/15/2016 6:51:58 PM
That's doesn't work like a link; and I can't copy and paste it.

I agree with what you said though.

There is a difference between people claiming to be "atheists," and "atheists."
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2016 4:27:00 AM
Your disbelief no more controls what reality is, than theirs.

Do you by chance believe in a snooty, petty, revengeful kind of deity? If not, and you have a more positive opinion of your spiritual leader, you might want to ponder your selfish insistence on calling so many people liars, just so that you can feel clever. None of the "nicer" gods approve of that sort of thing.

As for your opening assertion, that some particular argument you have heard about how a god's existence can't be proven means that athiests can't be proven either, is insupportable. The logic does not apply in any way, which I suspect you are intelligent enough to know full well.

That, or you are one of the people who genuinely think they are being logical, any time they say "if" at the beginning of a sentence, and "then" or "therefore" somewhere in the middle. I assure you, logic is a REAL DISCIPLINE, and is NOT subject to whimsical ingenuous games like that.
Posted: 12/16/2016 6:42:38 AM
I haven't called anybody liars; and nothing you said proves the existence of "atheists."
Posted: 12/16/2016 6:44:56 AM
Wanna try again... without the Red Herring?
Posted: 12/16/2016 7:14:34 AM
"That, or you are one of the people who genuinely think they are being logical, any time they say "if" at the beginning of a sentence, and "then" or "therefore" somewhere in the middle. I assure you, logic is a REAL DISCIPLINE, and is NOT subject to whimsical ingenuous games like that."

Logical Fallacies List, from Wikipedia

Red Herring:
This generally refers to changing the subject mid-debate, so that we start arguing about a tangential topic rather than the real or original issue.

Ex: We start debating the evidence supporting evolutionary theory, but you bring up the fact that believing this theory is depressing.
Posted: 12/16/2016 7:31:31 AM
My mistake. I was wrong.

The logic fallacy you used is called a Straw Man.

From Wikipedia:

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

The typical straw man argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition through the covert replacement of it with a different proposition (i.e. "stand up a straw man") and the subsequent refutation of that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the opponent's actual proposition.[2][3]
 funchesf
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/16/2016 3:19:11 PM

Posted By: ihopethisforkingnameworks
nobody can prove that the mythical "atheist" exists.

in (MSG 3) you claimed to have met some ...perhaps you were hallucinating
 PennyAnte
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2016 3:24:48 PM
I don't believe there is a devil. Does that mean the devil doesn't exists? He exists in the fact that I don't believe he exists.
Posted: 12/16/2016 4:09:14 PM
Hi MSG 11, look at MSG 3 again... perhaps you were hallucinating?
Posted: 12/16/2016 4:24:28 PM
Hi Penny, does that mean God exists too?
Posted: 12/16/2016 4:30:29 PM
I don't have enough faith to believe that ihopethisforkingnameworks exists. Nor do I believe that he/she believes what he/she claims that they believe. I want to see the proof.

The mythical ihopethisforkingnameworks doesn't exist.
Posted: 12/16/2016 4:42:38 PM
Another breeze from Uranus, that doesn't address the topic.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2016 5:15:17 PM
Hi Forking...

Yes, God would have to exist if I was an atheist or there would be nobody to not believe in.
Posted: 12/16/2016 5:36:14 PM
Cool Penny, no argument here.
Aloha
 PennyAnte
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2016 5:52:23 PM
Aloha and may you be blessed by life itself. No matter whom or what you believe in. Life is good.
Posted: 12/16/2016 6:13:06 PM
Thank you Penny. Same to you.
Aloha ke Akua
 funchesf
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/17/2016 7:52:40 AM

Posted By: ihopethisforkingnameworks
Hi MSG 11, look at MSG 3 again... perhaps you were hallucinating?

I looked again and in (MSG 3) "YOU" clearly stated that you met atheists ....

you killed your own thread
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2016 8:09:27 AM

My mistake. I was wrong.

The logic fallacy you used is called a Straw Man.

Your mistakes continue. The logic I use is actual logical analysis of your own words.

Your pretense otherwise ALSO doesn't alter reality.

Carry on with your pompous and useless self-delusion.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/17/2016 8:29:49 AM
@fork

and I can't copy and paste it.

I was able to do it.
but type it in if you still can't do it; and it should come up...if u are interested
Posted: 12/17/2016 9:04:08 AM
No Funcesf, I clearly said, I've met people who CLAIMED to be "atheists."

If you wanna continue with the 3rd post, QUOTE IT.
Posted: 12/17/2016 9:10:06 AM
Sorry Yule, if anybody finds a way they think they can prove "atheists" exist" on the site you posted, you and them are welcome to try it here.

In the mean time, that link doesn't prove anything.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."