Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > How can you tell a catfish?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 largerooster25
Msg: 1
How can you tell a catfish?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've been approached by a user with no pictures claiming they are separated from their husband and looking for sex only.

They are sending some photos they say can't post in fear of their husband finding out (thought they were separated) and claims to only wants to meet once for a one night stand.

This is a 40 year old woman and saying some outlandish stuff in messages but usually keeping it to one sentence or less in replies.

I am not really looking for one night stands or anything. My goal is to figure out how to make a fake profile on this website. I find it easy for some and more difficult for others. It's becoming very annoying when you don't know whether the person is real or fake on this site and it's becoming more prominent. Are there any tips for identifying fake profiles?

Also, what purpose are the fake profiles trying to accomplish? Trying to lure you into some trap where you are physically harmed? Monetary harm? Simply trolling and wasting your time? I don't get it.
 Mz_Informed
Msg: 2
How can you tell a catfish?
Posted: 1/5/2017 1:09:46 AM
Kidney farming...
 Walts
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/5/2017 6:36:27 AM

Whisker.

And the prickly fins. They have a little bit of poison in them and if you don't grab them just the right way, they hurt.

They do taste great, battered and deep fried.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2017 10:34:33 AM

They do taste great, battered and deep fried.

Depends on where you pull them out from. They are bottom feeders, so they collect a lot of crap in the water. The river behind my place has some monster cats in them, but they smell like herbicide. I'd never eat a bite.
----------------------------------------------
Fake profiles are easily spotted over time because they follow a similar pattern. POF identifies these patterns almost immediately and most bogus profiles are alive for less than a few hours. Having a profile with no photo is about as effective as pushing a garden hose up a cliff. If you REALLY want to know how the other side works, best to do a 'browse-along' with a friend who has their own legit account and witness what happens.
 Walts
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/8/2017 7:26:33 AM

Depends on where you pull them out from.

And when.

Springtime is the best, for the reasons of which you spoke. Those big cats are not great to eat. I always take the smaller ones, again, for the feeding reasons.
 Seki1949
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2017 3:34:51 PM

Trying to lure you into some trap where you are physically harmed? Monetary harm? Simply trolling and wasting your time?

They will need money for an airplane ticket.

Someone with no picture offering you sex out of the blue: Catfish or P4P.

Good Luck on Your Paper.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2017 9:05:04 PM
OP, your situation doesn't sound too much like a catfish. A catfish is going to Not want to meet for a one-and-done. They're going to want to Pen Pal extensively and have excuse after excuse in meeting up -- yet still wanting to communicate. A catfish is someone who's far & away Very Different by all Objective means, than their picture & profile suggest.

A profile with no picture isn't a catfish. A catfish is someone with a Fake picture. No picture does not mean fake profile.

It's harder to claim a profile as fake when there's no picture. For it to be fake w/o pictures, there'd have to be a Clear Generational Age Difference + Significant Location Difference + Most likely Other things.

Fake profiles are usually made for just scoping the scene to:
a) Get a feel for the online scene without being spotted by anyone ya know. Doesn't have to be that fake, without pictures, to do this.
b) To have confidence to go into things to practice chatting and interacting, with fake pictures. Gets one's confidence up, too.
c) To go more than (b), to have a pen-pal of someone you feel's out of your league. More than just batting practice on mingling with cute people.
c) To chase down an ex or current BF/GF/Husband/Wife, and see what they're up to or catch them in some act.

In your case, again, no picture -- it likely wasn't a fake profile. I mean, not fake beyond standard lying that can be frequently found - lol.

Her one-liner messages and just wanting to hit-it-and-quit-it -- she was probably just dabbling into the realm of online dating... most likely not willing to take the plunge, but getting a feel for it and making herself come off kinda stupid. Happens. :)
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/11/2017 8:38:10 AM
Op....oh wait, the OP is gone, screw it , I'm not going to waste my time writing a bunch of stuff like the guy above me

lol
 cooldog65
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2017 9:19:04 PM

I've been approached by a user with no pictures claiming they are separated from their husband and looking for sex only.

Coming from the departed OP named largerooster...shocking!
 somewhatJaded14U
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2017 9:40:27 AM
well usually they have over the top hot pics up. thats not always tho,they also try to get your full name and phone number or e-mail address in the first or second message to you. Another way to tell is they want to text all the time but not talk with you on the phone. I almost always F around with them because I like wasting their time. I used to have a list of nigerian scammer E-mail addresses and when I got an unsolicited E-mail from one offering their E-mail address and refusing to comunicate with me from this site,I just gave them one of the other scammers E addresses! I dont get much scammer messages anymore.. :)
In your situation tho she could be legit,see if you can get her to meet you somewhere local. Best case scenario you might get laid,worst case you still got out... good luck!
 Telly986
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2017 11:22:16 AM
As for me I didn't bother uploading my pictures because I use this site solely for the community/forums.There is indeed a lot of fake profiles here. A week ago I was bored so I started randomly reverse search on images of the profiles that looked too good to be true- and I was able to spot 5 fake profiles in 30 minutes

Many reasons why some people create false accounts
1 - some are gay and are not ready to come out so they create profiles of the opposite sex to be able to flirt with people of their gender without having to come out

2 - some are insecure and feel that people won't like them for their looks so they create fake profiles of good looking people
3 - some are cruel and just get off playing with other people's emotions
4 - some are bored and married or in a relationship and think this is safer than physically cheating on their partner
5 - some are stalkerish exes who use fake profiles as a way of keeping tabs on their ex

The bottom line is ,If they want to have endless messages without meeting up they are either not interested or not real. So in that case I would move on
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/1/2017 8:03:40 PM

There is indeed a lot of fake profiles here

You got that one right honey ;0)
 MidWestAussie
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/4/2017 6:26:35 AM

Q: How can you tell a catfish?

A: They have a profile on this site.
 MidWestAussie
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/8/2017 4:48:44 PM
Not sex and mind games.
 Nestaron
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/9/2017 7:45:24 PM
They say things like this message I just got after responding to a woman. "Thank you. Im looking for a friendship and later see where it lead." See the problem? A bot, or 2 not average speak from a woman who claims to be Canadian born Caucasian with a Graduate degree. 1 response easily identify one or the other.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2017 11:17:04 PM
If someone refuses to allow you to see images, no matter what they say, move on.
If their English is not good then that is an alarm bell right there for a scammer.
Ask to Skype or get a phone number to hear their voices, if they wont do that, again, move on. It is very simple... no excuses.....

I am always astounded that people carry on cyber "relationships" with someone they have never seen and sometimes it is for years. They even persuade themselves that they are in love.

Fake profiles are of those just having some fun and have no intentions of actually meeting up.
They may be doing research or whatever. Or they have much to hide.

Despite all the warnings about catfishing and scammers, some people still fall for it out of loneliness and wishful thinking.

This is a site with millions of free users and they are not vetted in any way. If they seem too good to be true, they are.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/10/2017 10:43:19 AM

A profile with no picture isn't a catfish.

No picture does not mean fake profile.

Ding ! Ding ! Ding !
We have a winner !
 phule
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2017 5:06:03 PM

Ask to Skype

Four months, and only one person actually picks up on how without motion video, there is no way to tell if someone is catfishing you about their appearance. Phone doesn't mean anything. I've spoken with women who sound like men, and men who sound like women... and people successfully fake voices all the time.

I got specific on being catfished on their appearance... claiming to look like someone they are not.

As to how to tell if someone is catfishing another over their identity? You can look at their ID, if you can tell the difference between a fake and a valid ID. You can look at their ID and trust how official it looks to you. You can run their fingerprints to see if they are in any databases anywhere. If some guy tells you his name is Steve in a webcam call... knowing whether or not he is lying is really no different from determining if the guy at the bar is really named Steve or not.

The general rule is, if it isn't "in person", it isn't real. Video can ASSIST in making that as close to being "in person" as possible, which means that over a distance, video can help prove if some of what is being claimed, is true. Only some, though.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2017 7:47:40 PM
phule

You are right video and phone chat does not guarantee some one is genuine but it goes a long way to weeding out those who are playing some sort of game. People can meet, have a relationship for weeks or months and still get taken for a ride or scammed.
Gut instinct goes a long way with all of this.
 phule
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2017 9:54:37 PM
Today, you can't even guarantee that the gender of the individual you are seeing on the screen is even what they claim it to be. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being transgender... but unless someone says up front "Yeah, I was a man, but now I'm a woman", they could be using that Skype session with you to practice their new identity... to see if you even pick up on who they are over who they were.

Or... there could be no transgender issues at all... and you could be Skyping with someone who likes to play dress up.

I can't fully get behind gut instinct, only because there are a plethora of people on the planet who have been let down by their gut instincts. Like... how people will reject themselves before they get rejected... because their gut tells them they are going to get rejected. They create the situation they feared, because of that feeling in their gut.

I'm not saying that gut instinct is bad. I guess I'm saying that it *HAS* to be a combination of things. I can appreciate instinct telling you that something isn't right... and then you proceed to find OTHER things to confirm what you feel.
 singleprofessionalinco
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/1/2017 1:30:29 AM

For goodness sake this really is easy.

In the age where some ***hole claims that microchips will be in everyone's hands while twittering on his iPhone 7.... just remember common sense eludes many.
 jesborg
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2017 12:10:51 AM
If they ask for your email that's too easy.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:24 PM

Today, you can't even guarantee that the gender of the individual you are seeing on the screen is even what they claim it to be. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being transgender... but unless someone says up front "Yeah, I was a man, but now I'm a woman", they could be using that Skype session with you to practice their new identity... to see if you even pick up on who they are over who they were.

Or... there could be no transgender issues at all... and you could be Skyping with someone who likes to play dress up.

Correct, what better way for a person to play a game--just make up a persona & go online...
 NewYorker58
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:53 PM
When the person says I'll give you my e-mail addy, because I'm not staying on this site due to scammers, that's a scammer, LOL. If they give you an out of state number, they're a scammer. It will probably be a VOIP for that number. When a person lives outside your state, most times, that's a scammer. When they say they are in the service, most times they are a scammer. If they refer to you as "my dear" or "my love", they're a scammer. If they say they need to go abroad to collect a inheritance, that's a scammer. If you stick w/the scammer, they'll say more things to scam you, but why go that far?
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/27/2017 6:31:09 AM

When the person says I'll give you my e-mail addy, because I'm not staying on this site due to scammers, that's a scammer, LOL.

Not necessarily- they may be leaving this site because they are not thrilled w/ it but wish to stay in touch.

If they give you an out of state number, they're a scammer.

Not all the time. I have 2 phone #'s- my Google Voice # is a NY exchange & my cell # is a Tennessee area code. These days people travel, move & commute. They may have had one plan prior to moving & just kept their # bec. it is easier

When a person lives outside your state, most times, that's a scammer.

When I lived in Upstate NY, I was 1 hour away from: PA, NJ + CT- In the past I had met/dated men from those states- I was not scamming.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > How can you tell a catfish?