Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Not PoF anymore, it's PoD!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4X6Postcard
Msg: 1
Not PoF anymore, it's PoD!Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Been away for a while thought it would be forever, but life threw an unexpected curveball that stopped it in its tracks, and once again, back in this lovely place....thank you life, you've taught me well, no more lessons please, move on to someone else, thank you.

But what I have noticed is that in my area, every single woman now has a dog. I'm sure where you live is different, but not here.

Plenty of Dogs. PoD.

This of course wouldn't be a problem if i didn't have a lifetime phobia of dogs that just cannot be cured or fixed or treated. It's my problem and I have to live with it.

Problem is, this eliminates about 90% of the single ladies within an hour of me. Dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs....they all have dogs.

Not those cute beagle types, but big huge pony sized monsters. How the hell are these breeds even possible, they didn't exist 30 - 40 years ago.

Never mind the other women who are in their 50's and dress up their little yappy dustmops as angels or clowns or in baby clothes. That is just disturbing, and says a lot about their mental state. Seriously, what right minded woman who is 57 years old dresses up a terrier with wings and paints it's claws pink?

Yes, I know, that is their right. It's my right not to associate with them.

I rarely stay at home on the weekends, and having a dog is also a boat anchor. Even if I didn't fear them, going on a 4 hour road trip, wandering through an attraction, dinner at a nice restaurant, staying at a nice classy hotel, virtually impossible.

Again, you don't have to provide me with alternative examples of how it could work for YOU. That's not the point. I get it. it just doesn't work for ME.

This week alone, after 3 - 4 emails, ladies I assumed were pet free have given me their cell number because they liked me and wanted to pursue what we had further. Each one, when i asked, admitted they had a dog but didn't list it on their profile.

Don't do that please. It's like saying you're single when you're still married. Omission is as bad as a lie.

Frustrating. Enjoy your dog. Not saying you are wrong, it's just not for me.
 cindi_rella
Msg: 2
Not PoF anymore, it's PoD!
Posted: 1/20/2017 2:37:20 PM
^^No where on your profile does it say you dont want to date anyone that has a dog. Why dont you include that?
 4X6Postcard
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/20/2017 2:38:59 PM
I keep profile hidden and only contact those who have "No Pets" listed...

Leave it to the forums to throw it back it me. LOL
 Maleman999
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/20/2017 3:52:43 PM
What about somebody who has cats? Are you OK with cats? I would think a lot of women would have cats, more so than dogs, since a cat can be left on its own more than a dog.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/20/2017 4:43:30 PM

I was thinking DOA.
 4X6Postcard
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/20/2017 4:44:17 PM
Cats are cool....I like cats...the last gf of 3 years had a cat, never a problem...she would spend friday night to monday morning at my place, cat was fine..."You, you go out, have a good time, I'll be fine, no, really, don't worry about me" is what the cat would have said....
 Ouija2025
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/20/2017 4:57:39 PM
why mock women who like to dress up their lil yappers.. you aren't paying for the clothing and what is someone mocked you for having a dog phobia.
IDK, try 200 miles :)
btw, I don;t dress my dog. I do however think she would totally rock a leather biker jacket
 five-marie
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2017 5:07:59 PM
When I was dating I also stayed away from dog owners. Too many men in my past treated their dogs like their babies, baby talk, carried them every where, couldn't bare to leave them to go anywhere.
I've had every pet imaginable and loved every one of them but never did I dress them up or treat them like my baby.
People whom treat their pets like humans/babies have issues in my opinion.
 JS3344
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2017 5:51:37 PM
I guess I have to pitch in here. I like dogs that are mellow and pet-able, but most of the women I have dated, have these emotionally retarded, violent, rescue dogs. I couldn't kiss my date hello, because her fvcking dogs would attack me non-stop. I was with a woman for 5 years, and her little white labradoodle, would permanently attach itself to my ankle the entire time. Of course none of these women could ever sleep over, or the emotionally retarded creature would crap all over the rug if mommy didn't come home. I understand why so many women have dogs, and I try to deal with it, but what a pain in the ass.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/20/2017 6:42:32 PM
My Lilith is a guy magnet :) Seriously. Because unlike her Owner she is friendly fun and a face that you just gotta love.
3 words, polka dot ears
She a ball of love. Kinda getting chunky, a bigger ball of love.
Silly, you should have been kissing her good night :)
 sun___flower
Msg: 11
view profile
History
I was hoping the D was for something else
Posted: 1/20/2017 7:07:37 PM

Never mind the other women who are in their 50's and dress up their little yappy dustmops as angels or clowns or in baby clothes. That is just disturbing, and says a lot about their mental state. Seriously, what right minded woman who is 57 years old dresses up a terrier with wings and paints it's claws pink?

Imagine my dismay when I discovered my little yappy dog doesn't like wearing clothing.
 forumslady
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/20/2017 8:28:49 PM
4x6postcard- I own a rescue dog.
I adopted him 8 years ago from the pound, as a puppy.
He is well trained. I house broke him by the time he was 6 months old. He knows tricks, is friendly and has NEVER bitten anyone.
He is a big dog, but he is protection for me as much as a companion.
I don't suppose it occurred to you that THAT is why so many single women have large dogs?? (for protection)
Other people don't have to know he won't bite, if his bark scares intruders away, that's enough.
Lot's of men own dogs too you know!
I'm not sure what happened that you are so afraid of dogs, but maybe you should work on that.
I see various people out with dogs......at parks, out running/walking.
You are eliminating a lot of women this way (as you admit).
You are free to do so (of course), but why not work on your phobia and enlarge your potential dating pool??
(ps- I've never dressed him up, if that makes you feel better)
 call_me_tater
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/20/2017 9:25:44 PM
That's quite a rant, Mr. Dog Hater.
I don't trust anybody who doesn't like dogs.
Your call, but therapy should help your fears...must suck for you to walk in the park.

I have my dogs, my foster dogs, and strays that wander in.
I train them and teach them manners.
Most people do.
Heavily involved in rescue so to me, you're the abnormal one.

What dog cannot handle an owner who goes on a 4 hr road trip? None that I know.
They stay home alone for 8-9hrs while their people are at work, ya know.

Who cares if people dress their dogs?
Mine wears cute sweaters all winter...she gets cold.
She likes going to Home Depot, Macy's, the bank and the pet store.

Yes, Lily would rock a black leather jacket.
The Harley store sells them.
Matching leather hat would complete that outfit, Miss O.
 forumslady
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/20/2017 9:47:58 PM
call me tater-^^^^ It's awesome that you take in and/or train stray dogs.
I had another shelter rescue, but I had to have him put down when he got old and sick.
My first dog was a female German shepherd. After her, a female Boston terrier. Once it was MY choice, it's been shelter dogs ever since. As much as I loved my two that were bought for me, from here on out, it will ALWAYS be rescue dogs for me too. :)
Ps- I did try to dress up the rescue dog that's now passed away once, he was having NONE of that. He rolled around until it was off and tore the outfit up while he was at it for good measure. :D
There's two types of people: People who love rescue dogs and people who don't know what they are missing. :)
 Coma_White
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2017 11:03:09 PM
I don't hate dogs, but I'm allergic to them and I've always have neighbours with noisy dogs that bark every morning. Cats are okay, but I prefer birds that lay eggs.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2017 11:57:40 PM
Back when I was dating a lot, a lot of women had dogs. I mean something like 30%-50%. They rarely mentioned it ahead of time. So yes, shocking when you open a car door and catch the odor and see all the hair. You know what the home will be like. Often the dogs are like college buddies that never moved out. Forget being alone with a woman who has a dog. The dog will always be around AND in your face. In month she'll want to bring the dog to YOUR house - count on it.

So...while I don't hate dogs - it's the very same issue as dating someone with kids - you will get a limited portion of their heart and attention. Your schedule will revolve around what the dog requires. Accept it or walk.
---------------
As for people "training" their dogs...??? Not in the real world. Most people DO NOT TRAIN their dogs. Dogs are smart enough to follow, obey, and they take cues from their owners on how to behave, but that's not the same as training. I often walk around a nearby park that HUGE. There are poop bag stations every 100 feet, and dog poop every 50 feet. ALWAYS. Because half the people with dogs are inconsiderate. When people stop to say "Hi" and show off their dog, I ask them if they use the dog run that's not far down the street. Many say NO. It's not like they don't know about it. They don't want to be seen NOT controlling their dog, or cleaning up after it. And yes, even people who use the dog run scuttle to the bushes in the back area for their dogs to poop and they don't clean it up. Lots of poop all along the fence.
---------------
When you see that EVERY SINGLE WEEK from the people who own dogs in your own town, there's no reason to expect that someone you've newly met is going to be more responsible. OP has a good enough reason to avoid dogs. By choosing, he knows his dating pool is smaller. I had girlfriend for some months that was deathly afraid of cats. I didn't know until one night I was walking her to her door and an ordinary cat was on the sidewalk. She would not take another step until I shooed it away out of sight. For people who have fear or allergies is not some little thing, it's not a lifestyle choice - it's a life hazard they must contend with and manage. Belittling their plight shows you have NO UNDERSTANDING at all of what they have to deal with.
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/21/2017 6:04:46 AM
Where are these women who allegedly claim "no pets" in their profile, but in reality have dogs? I've never experienced that pleasant surprise. The opposite happens to me: her photos show dogs, but she doesn't have any.

The OP and I should make a trade. Adjusted for our ages, he can send down some of the girls who have dogs, and I'll send up some women who don't have dogs, who like travel and hotels and fancy dinners (a high percentage of the women in my region).

Dogs can be left home unsupervised a lot more than children can. As already mentioned, they can be by themselves during a typical workday, unlike kids who require a babysitter, daycare, dumping them off on grandparents, etc.

I call mine "babies" and speak baby talk to them, but do not view them as children or view myself as their "daddy". No matter how big they get and how old they get, I still treat them as if they're puppies, unlike the many people who abandon / neglect pups once they reach adulthood.

Going home to let out the dogs is a sincere reason not to spend the night.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/21/2017 6:34:57 AM
aintnodeal - $100 says my house cleaner than yours :/ All my dogs have been trained, well mannered. Better than some peoples hell spawn.
Tater and people like her who foster dogs giving them a chance to find forever homes.. I'll take them over someone who knuckles their eyes if they get a freaking dog hair on themselves.
I like in times of darkness/sorrow/joy there is always a paw to reach out to, you might want to try learning with unconditional love is
 Walts
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/21/2017 6:35:21 AM

No where on your profile does it say you dont want to date anyone that has a dog. Why dont you include that?

That, would be a little too simple and easy to eliminate such a "problem" that the OP seems to have. If he eliminates that problem then he wouldn't have been able to start this thread. Then, how would the broadcasting happen?

BUT, then we get this, even after the initial,,,,well, rant.......

I keep profile hidden and only contact those who have "No Pets" listed...

So, we are to assume all these women are "lying" according to the OP. But, of course, the OP also knows an awful lot of these women's pets.....

Problem is, this eliminates about 90% of the single ladies within an hour of me. Dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs....they all have dogs.

Not those cute beagle types, but big huge pony sized monsters. How the hell are these breeds even possible, they didn't exist 30 - 40 years ago.

Amazing.

I still toss feathers at the finned creatures. And every so often I'm lucky to feel that tug on the end of the line.

Yet, I still don't put pics of those fishies on my profile,,,,, anymore, despite the knowledge that there are Plenty of Fish around.
 Maleman999
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/21/2017 7:14:53 AM
OP: If you met a dog free woman, then after dating for a while, she expressed an interest in getting a dog, would that be an immediate deal breaker? Do you feel the same way about women who have kids? Young kids require 24/7 care, while most dogs can be left alone for a few hours at a time. So are kids a deal breaker too?
 Maria11418
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/21/2017 8:08:50 AM
It's so interesting how people's pet peeves are so different... I am neutral to dogs but a man having one is the absolute last thing I would care about.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Bark, bark! Good dog!
Posted: 1/21/2017 8:40:10 AM
Hi OP,

I took a peek at your profile and I noticed that way, way down in your profile writing you mention that the woman you seek: "She isn't a caregiver on nights and weekends to pets, grandkids, or a sickly uncle." It may help if you were to have that as the very first sentence and then any woman reading your profile would understand your requirement.

And one of my pet peeves? Men who list their hair color as "mixed" when they are clearly bald (or almost bald) in their pictures. I'm sure there's lots of previous threads on balding so I don't think I need to start a new one.

On a side note, I am glad my rescue black lab started barking around 3 am a few months ago. She scared off someone trying to break into my car (alarm system). Living in the country means it takes a few minutes longer for the police to arrive. Though, my 12 gauge over/under is close at hand if the need arises.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/21/2017 9:04:11 AM
Yet another thread showcasing some of the many ways of how and why so many here have such "bad luck" meeting others on this site.

Being CLOSED MINDED and/or stereotyping others are both UNdesirable character traits.

IMO at least.

And ... "But what I have noticed is that in my area, every single woman now has a dog."

I suspect you are confused about the word EVERY?

IF what you say is true, it looks like your only solution would be to move to a different town or possibly expand your age range criteria?

FYI, with very few exceptions, an unruly or misbehaving dog is no different than a child with the same qualities.

Most likely a CLUELESS an/or uncaring parent or owner.

Today's world is bursting with wayyyyyyy too many of both.
 hemingway234
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/21/2017 9:58:44 AM
Lol, there are plenty of women who have other pets like cats or no pets at all. 90% do not have dogs, that's an exaggeration.

You just have to talk to more women to find the ones who don't have ankle-bitters. You only need to find one in the end.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2017 2:38:53 PM
Dogs can be present a c*ckblock, to be sure sometimes...and it can be bothersome and distracting when they get excited and jealous (i.e. yapping and scratching just outside the door lol) when you're....um....ya know...goin' at it......but in my experience, the net-net is positive...because I like the pups, and it's a large area of compatibility and lifestyle.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Not PoF anymore, it's PoD!