Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Facebook profile means legit profile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Breakingbadguy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Facebook profile means legit profile?Page 1 of 1    
Some girls I've got on the Meet Me feature used their real names in the profile name and I found their Facebook, is it safe to assume their profile is real? I don't like resorting to doing that, but there's so many fake profiles on here.
 Mz_Informed
Msg: 2
Facebook profile means legit profile?
Posted: 2/4/2017 1:25:29 PM
I could throw together a profile here in five minutes. Might take me a day to get together a friggen "legit" looking Facebook profile with pics, friends, etc. Link them together and ta dah! I'm legit.

You did not get to be thirty damn years old without figuring this out already: There are people out there who fool you. There are people out there who won't fool you. And there's no way of telling them apart without getting to know them, in person, for a good length of time.
 Maleman999
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/4/2017 2:17:53 PM
The best way to find out if a profile is legit is after exchanging a few messages, ask to meet in person. If a person comes up with all kinds of excuses why the can't, or agrees to, but ends up being a no-show, then it's a faker. Don't waste a lot of time by trying to figure it out while hiding behind a screen. A lot of people don't get the concept of a dating site-which is to meet people in person.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2017 5:16:22 PM
If your #1 all-consuming thought is "this profile is fake", then you need to stay away from online dating. You have trust issues. Get off the Internet and meet people face-to-face. Then you can decide if they are "fake" friends or not, and skip the profile phase.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2017 3:13:19 AM
Why are you so concerned if a profile is 'legit' or not?

Send a girl a message, if she doesn't respond she either doesnt like you or it's a fake profile.

If she does respond, set up a date, that's how you find out if she's for real or not.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2017 4:50:44 AM
Facebook profiles, just like profiles in here, have one single traffic cop - themselves. THEY get to decide what or how their personal life details get revealed. Accuracy and truth are not always hand-in-hand with what they consider entertaining or informative. Some forget there is a difference between sites, others micro-manage all outlets with the tightest security.

Real life is the only true test of legitimacy. Actions speak louder than words. The best any social media can do is prove consistency of character.

The only key piece of information I'd say about your cyber-snooping - is to NOT talk about it. It's not something to brag or be proud about -- that you are a little distrusting (and possibly paranoid enough) to sleuth about in cyber land. Go do it if you want - everybody does to some extent - but keep in mind - that is part of YOUR actions - YOUR character - and that will speak out to the other person far more than any written apology ever will.
 ndm147
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/5/2017 12:17:47 PM
I agree with what everyone has said so far. But I do have some face book friends I met on a social media site a long time ago and we remain friends on face book. This was purely platonic; not dating.

I have a friend from face book who I know from high school. She posts every time she she is going on a date with a new guy ( nothing personal about him or his picture). She uses this site also. That is her choice to make her dating life public; I don't.

Most men and women don't post last names so it is nearly impossible to check on other media sites to verify who they are. The one's that did talked too much about their high profile jobs and it turned out they were scammers taking pictures off of media sites. Another guy did post his face book link. It looked hastily put together with one picture ( the same picture on here) with a small child and three "friends" who were female. Needless to say, he looked sketchy. I never responded to him.

As everyone has said: meet in real life.
 hemingway234
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/6/2017 10:00:33 AM
It's very smart to play detective while you are dating and vet people. If you find their Spacebook profile it's a better bet they are legit. But there are no guarantees.

Ultimately, you have to meet to determine if they are real, and to determine if there's mutual attraction.... so do it quick, within a week or two.

No matter what you do, dating will take up some of your time - there is no free lunch.... Except for the ladies, lol!

If they won't meet soon, move on. People are strangers until they meet.
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/6/2017 8:52:08 PM
I don't agree with some of these replies. Just because everybody isn't all about jumping up and meeting up ASAP doesn't mean that they're fake. Some people are just very aggressive about meeting up as soon as possible and everybody's not comfortable with that.
 hemingway234
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/7/2017 10:47:35 AM
- Well, you should exchange a few messages and talk on the phone, and don't meet if you see any red flags.

But if you are talking for months without meeting, you are probably wasting your time. You may find out within a few minutes of meeting that you are not attracted. That happens a lot.
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/7/2017 12:01:01 PM
I suggest, if you are going to take a look at their FB profile, take time to decide if its a real or fake FB profile. There are some signs even when an account has tight settings. If the account appears to be new, very few friends and all friends are of one gender, no comments or reactions to any of the posts or photos that you can see.

I belong to a couple of FB singles groups. I've had men try to contact me thru the groups. the most recent had just set up his FB, all the friends were women, and none local to our area. He was very good looking. There was not one single comment on the couple photos I could see. To me, it screamed scammer. I've had other guys that I've met on dating sites, that have legit FB profiles. Common sense is key!
 cooldog65
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2017 9:09:30 PM
I'm actually not on Facebook. Does that mean my profile is not legit? Facebook profiles can be fake like some profiles on here are. I've watched plenty of episodes of "Web of Lies".
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/20/2017 7:13:02 AM

Some girls I've got on the Meet Me feature used their real names in the profile name and I found their Facebook, is it safe to assume their profile is real?

No. Subscribe to something like "Truthfinder" and run a background check...just to "make sure".
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Facebook profile means legit profile?