Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Your thoughts appreciated      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sticchic
Msg: 2
Your thoughts appreciatedPage 1 of 1    
You have a good profile. However, I would change your writing this way:

Openness, honesty and integrity are very important to me. I'm a thoughtful and curious man who's self-disciplined and responsible. I aspire to a fairly simple life and enjoy developing practical, hands-on skills.

Interest/hobbies: shooting, normally once or twice a week. Black powder stuff is my favourite. It's really fun - a blast you could say! Restored a few classic cars in my time, though I've come to appreciate old bangers for their cheapness and care-free experience of ownership. My favourite movies tend to be sci-fi, horror, or better still, both. Partial to a good Western, too (a gun entusiast who likes Westerns). Music? Mostly 80's NewWave.

Shared interests are nice, but I think shared values are more important. I'm looking for someone family orientated. My ideal situation would be living on a small homestead.
Remove "shooting" and "self-sufficient" from interests.

On the "First Date" make a decision. Women like decisive men.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 3
Your thoughts appreciated
Posted: 2/26/2017 4:54:26 PM
So you are a cynic? Ha! Novice.
2 pictures simply not enuff
No idea what it would be like to date you.. bottom line that is what she is looking for...
Sounds like you want a gardener.
I think you can do much much better
Add your name.
From what I read shorter men have a more difficult row to hoe ( zing gardening reference) ergo you need to do a stand out profile
Welcome to POF, do not take it personally when you get no replies, you are outnumbered here ( age)
Best of luck :)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/27/2017 12:34:57 PM
^^^ see????? I knew you had way more you can say via the profile!
Not sure about admiring a rude character, so it is important that you show your fun side in your text.
Tell a story rather than just using words...
If you are a fab dancer say so.
And no, 2 pictures here means ppl scan, only 2, off they go. Even my pretend BF Jason Momoa would need more than two.
oh, bad example, one would work!
Rory think about how you chat up a woman at a party/club/bar
Bring that to the profile body
btw, you are handsome, use that to your advantage k
 Ouija2025
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/1/2017 5:41:19 AM
Rory - to me many profile are well, flat. Just info without any back story. If I was going to look then I'd be sharing my adventure buying avocados, or that I would love a pet sloth, or that I prefer Asian martial arts movies and will watch them subtitled. So they get a bit of a fair warning. :/
Yes ppl need to put their best foot forward ( how else can they do the hokey pokey) but I like to see a small " vid" of their world.
Of course I'm freaking odd
Kung Fu hustle one of my all time favs
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2017 8:26:21 AM
Yes, that's the idea, at least as far as I'm concerned. Now we're getting an impression of who you are as a person.

Now do the same kind of thing with respect to the kinds of activities you would do together with a partner.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/1/2017 11:10:26 AM
Yes! You have the idea.. something I find helpful is to read my writings aloud.. you can get a sense of the tempo
Good pupil
 call_me_tater
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/1/2017 12:07:43 PM
Hi Rory,

I get the feeling you are very introverted and sharing is difficult. Not much fun from what I can see--what do you do in your free time that gets you out of the house? Shooting...well that's not a good subject these days so I wouldn't focus so much on it.
Just the impression from your writing.
2D instead of 3D.

Although I see you're a handsome guy, your pics are a bit dark and not particularly happy.
No excuses. Pull that phone out and snap 20.

TL;DR is for Reddit, not a profile. Plus, talking about marriage so soon makes her think you'll be bringing a ring to the first date and discuss the future rugrats.
So you want a woman who shares your values (you mentioned it x2), but no clue as to what they are so how would she know if you mesh?

You're only 27...show some life, vitality, excitement for something.
After she reads, you want her to say "I really want to meet this guy!".
 Chromis1
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2017 1:38:09 PM

If it's off-putting to her, she's welcome to move along.

I'm a shooter, too, but I'd think twice about mentioning it in my profile. And it's not as if I shoot only occasionally - I go to the range twice a week on average, so it's a favorite hobby. If you're ... er ... aiming to keep it listed as an interest, be a bit more specific. Are you strictly a target shooter? Some women may find that more palatable than being a hunter.

A small handful of women simply hate guns. If you own one, you're out. Many others think "eh, I'm not crazy about guns but, gee, he's otherwise such a swell guy". Of course, they'll never get the chance to know that you're a swell guy if they latch on to your shooting interest as a reason to delete your email.

I'd leave it out.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/1/2017 2:23:52 PM
Add defensive and sarcastic to the list.

Listen, many people here have marriage and children as their end goal. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to discuss it in your profile before you even meet.
I never said nor implied you were desperate. Are you looking for a girlfriend that might eventually become your wife or are you straight up wife shopping?

Shooting. I'll tell you a story. I used to be anti gun and anti hunting to the extreme. I was never exposed to either. I met a guy via online dating. We hit it off and started dating. One day about a month later, I realized he had a lot of pics of deer on his walls and asked. Yup. But I really liked him. I asked about it. I thought about it. He explained it to me. We moved in together and his gun safe went to his parent's house. Eventually it moved to our basement. We got married and lived happily ever after. Never would have happened if it was on his dating profile.

You have a disconnect between what you are writing/saying and how it is interpreted. People who don't know you cannot assume anything--because they don't know you.

I, too am family oriented with a commitment to honesty and integrity but I doubt that translates to the same meaning as yours. Those are very generic terms and mean different things to different people.

I was only trying to draw you out so that your profile doesn't also describe half your friends.
 Forums_only
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/1/2017 7:00:08 PM
"wants to find someone to marry" does actually read as desperately seeking a warm body and you may find a better response with the looking for relationship category as most grownups can make the quantum leap to marriage/commitment from that. If you are truly gung-ho to find a bride, you can order them online a lot faster than this grueling soul-sucking process. Or - you can make a dating profile and enjoy the 'courting' process.

3 similar head shots is 2 too many. If the black powder shooting is part of a club or other organization, you must have photos somewhere of you doing that. If not, a shot of you at the range would be interesting to those that are also into the same thing. As you explain this will part of your life long-term, you may as well put it front and centre. Why not a photo of you with some of your non-dead gardening experiments? Smiling with teeth is generally seen as more friendly/approachable. At 5'5", you will need a blistering good gallery with variety.

A line or two about your work and what you love about it emphasizes responsibility, stability and reliability - all good traits in a prospective long-term partner.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/2/2017 11:45:57 AM

How many more times am I going to be insulted for simply knowing what I want and being honest about it?

As many times as you keep posting in this forum.

It's part and parcel of it.

The best advice I can give is to use as much clean humor as possible in profile and messages, and hope for the best.
OLD is a bigger crapshoot now than it has ever been since it started.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2017 2:29:15 PM
Your third photo would be better for the main.
You should also list as your attributes, stubborn and hard headed even with people who try to help.
 sticchic
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/2/2017 3:27:51 PM

defensive and sarcastic,
stubborn and hard headed even with people who try to help

"Napoleon complex" is a term describing a theorized condition occurring in people of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, and carries the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject's stature.
That's why I didn't answer...
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2017 3:40:02 PM
Diogenes_of_Shropshire, your current profile language should work for the kind of woman you are seeking.
I would not change a thing based upon your exact parameters.
My sole suggestion would be to add "lifestyle / action" pics showing you having fun enjoying sports and hobbies.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/2/2017 5:03:34 PM
ah the Joy of free advice.
Just take what you want from it, discard what you don't value.
Easy
 Forums_only
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/2/2017 7:41:25 PM

Can't believe this needs explaining.

No explanation needed, just telling you how you are coming across to a prospective viewer and offering one reason among others why you may be turning them off. Once again, grownups know that dating often leads to marriage. "Relationship" and "Long Term" imply the same things without sounding desperate. Your call, of course.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Your thoughts appreciated