Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Is this site even useable? Too many fake profiles and bots.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BlankSketchPad
Msg: 1
Is this site even useable? Too many fake profiles and bots.Page 1 of 1    
I live in a fairly populated area...Rosemead CA which is only minutes away from Los Angeles. I even have a 50 mile radius and also have an age range of 20-28 and barely have anything else checked for the other filters, but it seems like there's no one on this site to message. By no one I mean actual people. The first 4 pages of my search are completely filled with fake profile advertising other sites with the usual line of "I just got out of a negative or pessimistic relationship" or they have links to other cam sites. I've used PoF a while back like about 3 years ago and this wasn't a problem at all. You could usually find 2-3 pages of new matches each and every day, but nowadays I only see like 2-3 new profiles a day and this is coming from a really populated area. Do I have something wrong with my filers? Is anyone else also experience this issue too? Are the people running this site planning any kind of filter or system to get rid of all the fake and bot profile soon?
 BlankSketchPad
Msg: 2
Is this site even useable? Too many fake profiles and bots.
Posted: 3/14/2017 12:53:50 AM
Also these fake profiles are so easy to spot too because they usually have some kind of random 4 digit number at the end that doesn't coincide with a year.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/14/2017 3:26:27 AM
I just did a search, the results look normal to me. A couple of fake looking types but no more than average.

Are the people running this site planning any kind of filter or system to get rid of all the fake and bot profile soon?

The people running this site, whoever they might be, never give us any advance notice of their intentions or changes they are planning to make. Changes or systems are simply thrust on us without warning, like it or not. So the answer to your question is "nobody knows".
 frankieb34
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/14/2017 6:00:30 AM
Site is still usable. The dynamic has changed though. At least in my area I think there are more men than women and all the women are going for the losers. How do you tell? By all the "Read Profile first" "Tired of games" " no cheaters or liars or game players" If they keep going for that type of guy it's no longer the guys fault it's their own fault. They have crappy taste in men. So yeah the sites is very usable but you got a lot of women who think they are going to get a Ken just like a lot of guys think they are going to get a Barbie. Or they are already married and looking to cheat. In other words if you have the qualities of a good decent guy, you might as well suck it and understand that you are going to go through a whole bunch of crappy women just like a good woman is going to go through a bunch of crappy men to find what you are looking for.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2017 10:18:16 AM
Sounds like you have more filters in your head than you care to mention. For starters, looking for women strictly younger is vanity, plain and simple.

Fake profiles, especially those with off-site solicitations are usually yanked within an hour or two of being posted. There's no way four pages of searches would be fakes. YOU may qualify them as being in-authentic because of their content, or lack thereof - but that doesn't meany they are fraudulent. Having a single photo, or maybe two is not any less common than someone using all eight, or sixteen for premium members.

Young women, especially attractive ones - get bombarded with hundreds of messages a week - so your attempts to connect WILL most likely be left ignored or un-responded. That's the truth of online dating - and it's really not less true for other ages/demographics/other dating sites as well.

Your tastes in sci-fi and drawing/art are catering to a VERY small clique of the universal dating audience that is out there on a site like this. It's kind of like trying to find the one cosplay costume in an entire stadium full of screaming face-painted football fans. Many women in their late 20s are peeling away from the fantasy/party scene and looking for maturity, stability and possibly having kids. A sketch artist at 28 who's still 'into' the same stuff that kids are into at say, age 16, doesn't hold much promise for the future. Sorry if that's too blunt, but you need to realize the 'audience' in here reaches far beyond just what you like, or what THEY like - and there is going to be a lot of static in-between.
 BlankSketchPad
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/14/2017 2:27:34 PM
Lol your a funny guy. I didn't even ask for a profile critique and that's the first thing you did. Either way I don't really care about other people's opinion. If people want to judge me so harshly by what I like then that's their own problem.
 BlankSketchPad
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/14/2017 2:31:52 PM
Archer is a cartoon for kids, softball is a kids sport, lol who wants to date a boring farmers boy, lol you exercise...I find that hard to believe. See what I did there...don't give people critiques about their profile and call them out on shit when they didn't ask for it in the first place. Secondly don't judge people about what they like or don't like when they didn't ask for your opinion about it. Thirdly just shut up.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2017 9:24:08 PM

Thirdly just shut up.

The truth hurts when it's not what you want to hear. Posting snappy comebacks like this really isn't encouraging anyone to come to your side. I don't claim to have a superior profile in any way - I just know from experience what you advertise is not going to be as popular as you want it to be - and blaming something obscure and uncontrollable (like the number of fake profiles) generally avoids personal responsibility. You can't do anything about the profiles out there. You can't control who likes you or what they like about you. Hoping for the best is really all anyone has -- outside of how you can sell yourself with your own words and profile.

Real life connections made through friends, volunteering, sports and other social ventures will always, always be better than trying to connect in here. If you're absolutely convinced this site is corrupted beyond any chance of happiness, then try another site. If that site doesn't work, then try another. Eventually you'll realize YOU are the common factor in your failures, not the rest of the world - and your ability to change those odds starts - and ends -between your own ears.
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/16/2017 7:11:49 AM
Funny...you're both artists. Maybe Danimal sees a younger version of himself in BlankSketchPad???

OP gots some skillz tho.

POF gets glitchy...at times...I'll do a search within a five mile radius of my zip and there will be ZERO results, but after I jack it up to eight...it goes back to normal. I've also noticed that a lot of the pages are identical in the search results, but haven't noticed any fake profiles. I guess those are primarily directed towards the male users.
 hemingway234
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2017 4:07:00 AM
In your age range, the number of women here is small compared to those in school. Go back to school, or at least take a night class. Classes are one of the best places to meet women your age.

We date to get them around us so they will develop a crush/ fall in love. If you are taking classes, you don't have to date, you are already around the opposite sex on a recurring basis. Lots of crushes develop in school/classes. Who's more likely to say "yes" to a date.... the women who never met you, or the woman who sees you in class every week and has a crush on you? Do you smell what I'm cookin'?!
 barkingupatree
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/20/2017 3:33:02 PM
I have to agree with you. I've been seeing way too many fake profiles. Posts as 58 years old but clearly 18 year old photos in skimpy outfits or plain naked. Plus some have the name of a web site included, so they're not hiding the fact. I expect no less from a free web site.
 drwbns
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2017 3:19:11 AM
Sorry. I agree with OP. Literally every "woman" Ive talked to is a bot or fake profile trying to scam. It is literally unusable. Same area here. Im just south of LA. It seems these fakes like to put their location in dense areas to gets more bites on their fake profilea. Sucks for the legit people though
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2017 12:58:42 PM
Fakes and fraud profiles in POF are doing the equivalent of Swiping 'Right' in Tinder - to everyone they possibly can. They pop up a profile and instantly blast 'Hey There' messages by the dozens, sending out messages with generic pickup lines, and always looking for impulsive and gullible replies that may get them personal data or a conversation started OFF-site by e-mail or phone chat in that narrow window of an hour or two before POF's filters register their behavior and get them yanked.

If you are gauging the female audience by whom is messaging you first, you are easily being duped into believing this site is full of frauds. Frauds are indeed the most epic broadcasters out there. But try ANY other public, open dating site, and you'll soon realize it's pretty much the same kind of crap going on. Even paid sites have their own version of these scammers.

So why do people stick around and still use online dating?
Patience.
In a single word - Patience. Once the smell of 'fresh meat' dies away, and you've seen a few genuine profiles or had a few real-world conversations, it's easy to realize who is real and who is not. The vast majority of who is out there are indeed real people - but many of them may be the kind NOT looking for you.

Keep in mind, living in south L.A. is kind of like living in the narcissism capitol of the world. Maybe second only to Miami's South Beach. Attractive women living in those areas are incessantly working out, or having work done - which costs time and money they don't always have. They ignore 'ordinary' men on dating sites by the THOUSANDS because their lifestyle demands more. It's kind of counter-productive to be on a free dating site and fishing for whales - but if they can't afford those custom matching services, they work with what they got. I'm not saying ALL ladies are like that - but many are. Some women who CAN afford fancier match services ALSO create profiles in here as a 'placeholder' so they can navigate the waters if they get bored somewhere else.

What that means is many profiles in here may be attractive eye-candy, but won't lead anywhere quickly.
Does that mean you're supposed to chase 'ugly' women? No - but just keep in mind, the more 'artificial' a profile may seem - even if it's not outright 'fake' - it probably means a dead end to most ordinary Joes looking for something legitimate. Finding someone with flaws in here is closer to reality - and a lot closer to being genuine about who they are.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/27/2017 2:22:36 PM

Keep in mind, living in south L.A. is kind of like living in the narcissism capitol of the world. Maybe second only to Miami's South Beach. Attractive women living in those areas are incessantly working out, or having work done - which costs time and money they don't always have. They ignore 'ordinary' men on dating sites by the THOUSANDS because their lifestyle demands more. It's kind of counter-productive to be on a free dating site and fishing for whales - but if they can't afford those custom matching services, they work with what they got. I'm not saying ALL ladies are like that - but many are. Some women who CAN afford fancier match services ALSO create profiles in here as a 'placeholder' so they can navigate the waters if they get bored somewhere else.

You are describing a stereotype and not a real thing, also making some very speculative statements that do not seem to rooted in any facts.

How do you come to the conclusion that "many" (which you never quantified) women are fishing for whales?
 PhoenixRex
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2018 4:58:05 AM
I've been reporting an average of FOUR fake profiles EVERY day!! I report them and never hear anything back! Typically their MO is as follows:

The woman looks MUCH younger than the age claimed.
The screen name is total gibberish. (Here's one that just popped up a moment ago: AaliyahWayne1a18 50)
They show a very poor command of English.
Their photos look HIGHLY photo-shopped.

Here's the best way to deal with them:

First off, even though it's a pain in the ass, report them ASAP. They will likely do NOTHING about it, but you need to be on record as having reported them.

Second - and this really WILL make them disappear - send them a message like this:

"YOUR FAKE PROFILE HAS BEEN REPORTED YOU STUPID, SCAMMING LITTLE BIMBO!!"

Trust me, this REALLY works!! Typically you'll see the profile completely disappear in just and hour or two!! That's because once these scammers realize the jig is up, they'll delete their own profiles!! It's not a perfect system, but if everyone keeps doing it when the need arises, it will only be a matter of time before the scammers realize they need to move on to much gullible targets!!
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Is this site even useable? Too many fake profiles and bots.