Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Old vs new music      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NYCKOSI
Msg: 1
Old vs new musicPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I find most people around my age listen to old stuff 70s 80s 90s early 2000, To me is, how many times can one listen to the same song over and over again.

I have cone across some new songs, bands that are very good. I tent to focus more on Alternative Rock, Gothic Metal, Modern country music and few other types of genres. Most are not main stream.

Does anyone here listen or know any new genres type of music that you might like yet is not that popular in the main-stream? I like to know what is out there.

Thanks
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 2
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/24/2017 12:21:34 PM
Most of the new stuff is crap.

I started checking out bands I hadn't before as a source of " new " stuff to listen to .

For example, I was surprised to realize that a lot of 70s Genesis is actually quite good !
 cooldog65
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/26/2017 1:41:19 AM
Like Chuck, I have discovered tons of old music that is "new" to me. I'm good with listening to the old stuff over and over. Great music endures.

My example of discovery is Minnie Riperton. She's best known for "Loving You" a #1 hit from 1975. I only knew that song from her prior to this year, but I have found and listened to her earliest works and her latest material before she passed away in 1979 at 31 years old.

She started out in a group called the Gems and did a couple of songs under a different name (Andrea Davis). Later she joined a rock/funk band called Rotary Connection (1967-1970). I have several of their albums and she is incredible on them.

Discovering this older stuff is like digging up a treasure. Even the stuff that is somewhat forgotten because it didn't hit big is quite good.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 4
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/26/2017 10:14:14 AM
"Discovering this older stuff is like digging up a treasure"

I couldn't agree more !

Until the summer of 2009 I hadn't heard any Yes beyond " Close to the Edge ". Then a friend lent me " Tales of Topographic Oceans " and "Relayer ", while they may not be as strong as the earlier releases it was , again, " new " music to listen to.

It can work in reverse too. I checked out other bands from the past and realized I hadn't missed much, haha

Camel, for example, had a few ok tunes but for the most part....meh
 razors_edge55
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/26/2017 2:05:00 PM
work in reverse ,,I can relate guys ,,I like a lot of old jazz and big bands ,, sence at 18 I found a victrola for sale and took it home and it was fuul of oldies ,sence haveing a computer I have searched and I dug deep and found so many
I'm still working threw it ,,as they say it's new to me ,,,

I love early Yes and Rush ,,,but I like almost everything ,,,,but beiber makes me chunder
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 6
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/26/2017 2:45:28 PM
^^^^

Ya 70s Rush was by FAR the best - my 2 faves are Farewell and Hemispheres !

Sadly, when you see them in concert they play mostly 80s stuff = MAJOR chunder ( and lightning ? )

Early Yes is tough to beat , so many classics like Starship Trooper, Yours is no Disgrace, Heart of the Sunrise, And you and I , etc , etc , etc

Have you checked out early Genesis ? Cinema Show, Lamb lies down on Broadway, Supper's Ready...some good stuff if you like prog rock
 razors_edge55
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/27/2017 1:57:41 AM
Yeh Chuck ,,I heard a lot of early Genesis ,the ex was into it ,,heard "lamb lies down " a ton of times ,,sweet

and I kinda like the 80's rush "not all" maybe cause it was the first ones I heard ,,,just recently I found
farewell and hemispheres,, was "working man" on one of those ? first Rush I ever heard ,
I was really into Kansas as well,,a bit different ,,put on a hell of a show in the late 70's
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 8
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/27/2017 7:55:27 AM
" Working Man " is on their debut album with their original drummer.

Kansas, eh ? That's another band I never really checked out but prolly should. It's all about finding those GEMS that nobody mentions.
 Nestaron
Msg: 9
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/27/2017 1:49:00 PM
Bram, Sharon and Lois I am slowly going crazy 123456 switch crazy going slowly am I 654321 switch
 JS3344
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/27/2017 7:16:43 PM
I rarely listen to anything mainstream, and hearing the same thing over and over its just boring. So, I have been searching for good stuff my entire life. its a hobby, so here's some stuff....

1. Lounge music, made around 66, its jazz based pop! There is french, Italian, and American lounge music,
check out "Françoise Hardy - Comment te dire adieu"
Lounge encompasses everything from movie music, to airline commercials, to big band, unbelievable stuff
with the real genius songwriters like Lalo Shiffrin, Burt Bacharach, Henry Mancini ect.......you can hear this
on internet radio luxuriamusic.

2. Jungle drum and bass. Made in the golden years 90-92, this is just an infectious beat, sick bass lines, all
kinds of sound, no guitar, no lyrics......for those who can listen out of the box....you can hear this on Koolfm
from london try "pendulum trail of sevens"

3. Shoegazer! Massive sick twisted warped guitar sounds, very alternative. Listen to anything by "Lush" or
"Fukitol by the Stargazer Lillies" also can be heard on internet radio DKFM.....

4. Chuck, good going on Yes and Genesis...I saw tales live and people didn't know wtf, they were expecting roundabout
lol. Try "trick of the tail" by Genesis, also a good album after Gabriel left.
Also you might like some of the more proggressive stuff by Todd Rundgren, like Wizard a true star, Todd Rundgrens utopia
and the epic "Sun Ra".......

5. Garage rock/Girl groups - some unbelievable stuff, its like the 60's mixed with the 70's
check out "crazy by winter" or something by "Fuzz" or the meatbodies.......
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 11
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/27/2017 7:37:27 PM
Yes, " Trick of the Tail " is a good one . They used to play " Squonk " and " Ripples " on FM radio which intrigued me enough to go buy it. But, for some reason, I didn't check out their earlier stuff at that point. I mean, their 80s poppy crap made me ....dubious ?
 NYCKOSI
Msg: 12
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/27/2017 7:45:11 PM
So it seems no-one is into any of the new music that's out there.
 JS3344
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/27/2017 8:09:59 PM
NYC - like I said, the Garage rock on kxlu and the shoegazer stuff ondkfm is as new as it gets, these bands are touring now.
There are probably a million great metal bands these days, but I'm done with anyone screaming....unless its cradle of filth, which i love.

Chuck - prog rock was a big part of my diet, starting off as a crimson fan. Also, an epic of all time is "pawnhearts" by Van der graaf generator.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 14
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/28/2017 8:21:36 AM
I like " In the Court of the Crimson King " a lot ( the whole album ), but everything after that didn't really do it for me. That song Lizard's tongue in aspic or whatever it's called, haha....kinda dull..... Starless and Red are pretty cool and some of the " newer " stuff like Matte Kudesai and frame by frame
 razors_edge55
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/28/2017 9:09:43 AM
Hey Chuck as far as Kansas goes go youtubing and check out 1 sparks of the tempest ,,,,2 miracles out of nowhere
3 Cheyenne anthem,,, my three favorites ,,if they don't do it for you ,,don't delve any deeper ,,cheers
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 16
Old vs new music
Posted: 3/28/2017 9:56:43 AM
I just listened to Cheyenne anthem.... not bad...heard a Genesis influence with the keyboards, especially at the end of the song.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums we wish only Butterchickenchuck were allowed to post .
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 17
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/1/2017 3:24:05 PM
One artist I never got into AT ALL is Bob Dylan .... it's not just his voice , it's the twang

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 Trevork52
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/5/2017 8:11:45 AM
Genesis turned to commercial crap the moment that bottom most orifice Collins got involved!
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 19
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/5/2017 1:18:32 PM
Oh come on Trevork, you can't tell me the late 70s Genesis is anywhere near as poppy as the 80s air pollution

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/21/2017 9:07:30 PM
I was doing a search on POF for music when I ran across this thread, so I too was search for recommendations. I was making a play list for YouTube to video cast to my TV tonight, and looking for a few new tunes to add to the queue.

Music that is "new" and I like is pretty mainstream. After all, if is not that popular, 90% of the time it's for good reason, it just isn't all that good.

I like a lot of Pitbull music, he is hip hop reggaeton pop and rap. He does a lot of feat work, featuring many other artists he works with. Like the track Fireball, Rain on me, quite a few others.

I like a lot of David Bowie, but he isn’t “new’.

Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, twenty one-pilots.

I like some RAP, EAZY-E-like gimme dat nut, Akinyele - Put It in Your Mouth, Lil' Kim – How Many Licks?

I used to really like Eloy “silent cries and mighty echoes”, they are German progressive rock band, most don’t know that group. I still like them, but I don’t play them as much as I used to.

I like to mix really old music with new, for instance I like Gershwin and Ella Fitzgerald, wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Gordon lightfoot, stuff like that.

One way I had gotten a lot of music is to copy someone's entire ITunes library. Or my next-door neighbor was a tobacco farmer and truck driver, I copied his entire music library, a whole lot of blue grass, country, really old fiddle music.
 cooldog65
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/23/2017 9:49:03 AM
I've been listening to some Marvin Gaye lately. I'm really digging his earliest stuff like this 1965 appearance on Hullabaloo...

https://youtu.be/qM7SehIuO-M
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 22
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/28/2017 8:26:00 AM
1980s is my favourite era of music and pop music was the thing back then...Spandau Ballet had a couple of memorable songs and I would like to share one....Gold...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntG50eXbBtc
Next is Duran Duran and they did the theme song for the Bond movie, a view to a kill...here it is in all it's glory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9qOXILOe38
3 out of 3...here's A-HA with - Take on Me...it's a pretty clever video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 23
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/28/2017 9:01:08 AM
Late 80s/early 90s was my fave era with the moving away from 80s CRAP with bands like Guns n Roses, Jane's Addiction and Faith No More leading to the Grunge era with bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam , Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, My Sister's Machine , etc
 Scar33Lord
Msg: 24
Old vs new music
Posted: 4/28/2017 9:05:56 PM
I'm an 80's and 90's boy and love both eras.
 cooldog65
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Old vs new music
Posted: 5/15/2017 9:27:21 AM
I recently ran across a Burt Bacharach special on PBS during a fund drive. It as interesting just how prolific he and Hal David were. Incredibly talented team.

Marilyn McCoo was a co-host of the fund drive portion of this special and she looked stunning!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Old vs new music