Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How has the Obesity Crisis affected your dating life(if at all)?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 preston913
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How has the Obesity Crisis affected your dating life(if at all)?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
So, right of the bat, my preference is average size / thin women. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but that is my preference.

I'm starting to believe that what I'm looking for in this day and age, is not attainable. Sure, there are single thin women out there, but they usually don't stay on the market very long and the level of competition for them is pretty insane.

I have tried in the past to step outside of my preference, and have had relationships with women who are a bit overweight(never obese) and it just doesn't work out. No matter how hard I want it to work, I can't move past the fact that they are overweight. Call it being shallow, but I don't think it is completely shallow. I think there is a biological component to this. Kind of the same way that women prefer taller men, I believe that biologically they want a man who is strong/alpha male that can protect them.

Any way, I'm in purgatory now. I try to go after the thin women, and on this site, I'll be lucky if they even look at my profile yet alone send a reply to my message. So lately I'm been trying to go after women who are slightly overweight, but are at least trying to lose weight, that way I can help them(I'm planning to be a trainer soon) reach their goal. But it is very difficult.

I just wish that we were like other countries (like Japan/Paris, etc) with an overall thinner population. I swear dating would be a lot easier. Sorry this post is not a bashing post, or a shaming post, I like to encourage and motivate people to lose weight in a positive matter. I just wanted to see how many folks are in the same boat as me and how they are coping with it...
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How has the Obesity Crisis affected your dating life(if at all)?
Posted: 4/7/2017 7:47:29 AM
Dude , you're 6'4" and you're having difficulties ?????

You must be doing something SERIOUSLY WRONG !

For a guy your height it should be like fishing with dynamite - I mean come on !
 preston913
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 7:50:53 AM
It doesn't really matter if most of the eligible women in my pool aren't my type. Sure I'm tall but being tall isn't a free ticket like a lot of people think it is.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 7:54:47 AM
Sure , not every woman is going to say let's go simply because you're tall just as not every guy will jump for joy for a well endowed woman, but you must know the odds are stacked heavily in your favour.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, if I was you I'd be out there walking around just waiting for the right one to give me a come and get me look - and I bet it wouldn't take an hour !

You live in Cali, hit the beach on your next day off, walk up and down the beach and I'll wait for you to tell me I was right
 browneyesboo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:01:04 AM
I feel your pain.
Thin women aren't interested.
And you aren't interested in obese women.
That's weird.
I wonder why the thin women aren't interested?

It's a legit question.
Like Mr. Butter said, you're 6'4 and you live in
Cali. You can go to the beach or anywhere and chat
women up.

How come not one thin woman you've contacted
is interested in you?
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:17:54 AM

I'll be lucky if they even look at my profile yet alone send a reply to my message.

No photos, and an empty profile with Prefer Not To Says including a Prefer Not To Say body type, which to many means beached whale, unless there's a photo to disprove it. Nobody is going to look at your profile or send you a message if there's nothing to look at, 6'4 or no 6'4.
 preston913
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:19:01 AM
Well living in cali comes with its share of issues. I live in a wealthy area, and i do ok. Im not rich by any means, but i cant compete with actors, entertainers, etc. Height is great but trumps all.

As for women not replying, like i said the competition for my type is becoming astronomically difficult as thin women are becoming obsolete. So im pretty much another face in a crowded filled mailbox.
 preston913
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:20:41 AM
As for no pic, Im in the entertainment industry and i like to keep things under wraps. I usually include a pic in my message that i send to women though.
 Walts
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:40:16 AM

As for no pic, Im in the entertainment industry and i like to keep things under wraps. I usually include a pic in my message that i send to women though.

You do know for men, that just doesn't work on this site?????? NO HIDDEN PICS for males. (if they are on your profile, you can send. If they are not, you can't)

Unless, of course they changed that recently?????
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:41:43 AM

Your reasons won't matter. The fact is that not having a public photo throws up red flags to some people. Couple that with the ability for people to cut out profiles with no photos altogether on a search and it means that your dating pool is diminished. It's further reduced by a Prefer Not To say body type and a Prefer Not To Say to having a car. You can put whatever you like in your credentials, but if you're serious about wanting to find an online date, less is definitely less, not more.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:42:55 AM
'Prefer not to Say' body type = 450+ pounds
Women don't contact because they are worried about being crushed to death.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:46:14 AM

You live in Beverly Hills, you're 6'4" tall AND you're in the entertainment industry and you STILL can't get one
woman to date?

I'm calling BS on this post.
It's just another attempt to start a convo/debate on the "obesity crisis".
 cooldog65
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:58:03 AM

I just wish that we were like other countries (like Japan/Paris, etc) with an overall thinner population.

Paris is a city in the country of France.

No thank you to fat sassy broads...
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/7/2017 9:47:53 AM
OP, do you have one eye in the middle of your forehead?
 hemingway234
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 10:08:02 AM
Sending a pic should work just fine. Men make most of the first contacts.

Yes, there are lots of undesirables on dating sites. You will have to weed through a lot of whales to find the skinny dolphins. Dating is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/7/2017 10:54:57 AM
Threads that do little but help to perpetuate FORUM MYTHS help no one. Neither helght for a man or thinness for a woman are any sort of golden ticket. Do you really think "thin" women have men beating down their doors? REALITY is not the most popular thing on any OLD Forum but have you ever considered...

Look at how many descriptives there are for overweight and how many there are for underweight. Maybe that will give you a clue.

Slight, slim, slender, skinny, thin, underweight... I probably missed a few. Use the wrong one on a woman of less than average weight and you might just as well asked her her age. Just plain terrible, rude, awful. Oh, the injustice of it all.

And as I swim in a humongous Fishpond, I see women of all sizes, shapes and colors.

More perplexing to me are the number of members who list themselves as thin or PNTS, ESPECIALLY when they sometimes have 8 pictures posted clearly invalidating their claim.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 11:14:24 AM

Threads that do little but help to perpetuate FORUM MYTHS help no one. Neither helght for a man or thinness for a woman are any sort of golden ticket. Do you really think "thin" women have men beating down their doors? REALITY is not the most popular thing on any OLD Forum but have you ever considered...

When a male that is taller than average that claims to be in great shape and works in an industry filled with women states they can't find anyone to date, my first thought is they must be a horrible person, followed by my second thought is they are prone to complain, followed by they are perhaps a troll.

The ONLY people that don't think being taller than average for a male isn't a big advantage are taller than average men.

And that'a fact Jack.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 11:22:22 AM
OP, to answer the thread, I only date petite women, the largest woman I ever dated was my first GF when I was 20, she was 5.7 and about a 27 BMI, which is overweight. At the time, i was about a 24 BMI, though now I am also about 27 BMI.

So this hasn't affected me at all.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/7/2017 1:25:23 PM

It hasn't.

The "Assumption Crisis", the "Appreciation Crisis", the "Intelligence Crisis", well those are a whole different story.

So lately I'm been trying to go after women who are slightly overweight,

Lately I have been trying to go after women who simply have a pulse.

No change.
 PollyR107
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 1:26:09 PM
A number of men I met through online dating claimed their body type was average but in reality, I'd say they were a few extra pounds or overweight even. Therefore, this was a let down for me as I too am attracted to medium built to athletic body typed men.

I have full body pics on my profile which are accrpurate representation of my body type. I see myself as avarage but a lot of women who are of bigger dress sizes than me also say average body type on their profile. So i don't really know what is considered average anymore. It seems that the obesity crisis has made bigger people "average" nowadays.

Had I stayed in my parents' home country, I'd be considered undesirable. Oriental women are tiny. Being 5'4 and a dress size 8-10 in the UK (or 4-6 in the U.S.), I'm far too large for oriental men in general. Lol.

OP, if you have valid reasons not to put your pics on show, please say so on your profile. If I was in your area/dating pool, your profile wouldn't come at the top of my "want to reply" list. It'll also be helpful to be more specific in your profile about your body type etc. I wouldn't mind seeing "prefer not to say" when it comes to "do you want children". But other than that, I don't see why people would choose this answer too many times on their profile. I agree with other posters that a "prefer not to say" body type usually means overweight on POF.
 modelseeker
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 2:20:17 PM
The problem is that the OP leaves out one crucial factor. He wants a thin woman that is good looking. That's asking a bit much for pof.
 carolann0308
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 2:47:25 PM
You like what you like, and you have no reason to apologize for that. I would think that between the gym and the beach you can find dozens of thin women to ask out.
But if these women are not attracted to you, then you need to look inward and figure out why. It has nothing to do with your bank account, or not being a movie star unless YOU make it a point to target shallow Barbie Dolls looking for a sugar daddy. Trying to compete for silicone infused gold diggers at industry events seems like a losing proposition to me. Let the rich guys have them.
The OC like anywhere else in the world is full of attractive regular people too. Nurses, teachers, accountants, servers, hairdressers etc who are looking for real love not a checkbook. But what are you looking for? A hot piece of arm candy or a relationship? A woman can spot an insincere guy who judges on appearance only from a mile away.
 2ufo2
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/7/2017 3:26:07 PM
Your preference for thin is perfectly acceptable but your profile is an absolute dud.
Try profile reviews. It's right around the corner.

Those 'not thin' women who you date and 'try to help'.... do you actually tell them that you're helping them lose weight so they fit your preferences because they're too fat now?
Are you going to require a pre-nup that they never gain weight if you get married?

Me? I'm coping fine with not dating people with a preference for thin.
Not that I've had any real dates, but I've passed over a lot of people who are not my preference so I'm happy with it.
 gtomustang
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 4:13:24 PM
the problem isn't so much that what the OP wishes for is unobtainable, its that its obtained. I'd love a 1970 Dodge Challenger, but they're in such demand they're expensive. I don't date in California, and even I know a tall bloke isn't unique out there. I have big blue eyes, and that sure doesn't make the women come running.

Losing weight is a good thing, but food tastes too darn good, esp. when its comfort food used to get over not getting dates. How are others dealing with disappointment? try to find a hobby that makes you feel alive, to defuse some of that sexual energy (but obviously not all of it, we're programmed to have sex) and wait to get older, when you are less programmed :)
 backcreek7
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2017 4:24:55 PM
Everyone here ~ has the right to choose, as they see fit. Cool ! living in a free country, is it not? And we, as adults - will decide what is right , what is wrong, and what we feel is immoral .
ps ? I say, col ( chuckle out loud ) lets all pray ( not in the religious sense ) ~ for sanity and good judgement )
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How has the Obesity Crisis affected your dating life(if at all)?