Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My account was hacked yesterday and I don't know what to do.. suggest      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 leciebella
Msg: 1
view profile
History
My account was hacked yesterday and I don't know what to do.. suggestions?Page 1 of 1    
I created this account so I could post on the forums because I can't access my POF profile.

Yesterday I woke up to a bunch of texts to my phone around noon from a friend asking me if I changed my profile on POF because everything was different and I told them no that I hadn't been on my page since like 1-2 am that morning so he send me a screen shot of my profile and the pictures on the profile are definitely not me so I was like UMMM WHAT? because I was still receiving notifications from the android app on my phone saying that my profile was that this or that person wrote me, liked me, matched me etc so I opened the app which I am always logged into and it said I needed to login so I tried to login and it said that my password was invalid so I tried to reset my password with the email that I signed up to POF with... and I never received a reset email but even now I am still getting notifications from the app that people are messaging me.

I logged into POF with this account to do a username search of my actual username.. chibella86 and it came up so I looked at it and my headline is the one I wrote when I created my profile, my basics.. ex: city, age, ethnicity, what I'm seeking, martial status, my name [which is Alece] etc are all the things I put when I created the profile but she deleted ALL of my pictures, my interests, my about me section, and my conversations starters etc

I am a short little italian white girl from a suburb of Chicago and the pictures she uploaded are what looks like a Mexican girl with a child and that definitely isn't me and I don't have any children whatsoever.

I have been on POF for a few years and this has never happened but I don't know what to do. I emailed costumer care [from the email that I originally signed up with.. which is my main email] about it yesterday and have yet to receive a response but I'm seriously freaking out because I don't know what to do because I keep receiving account notifications from the app saying that I have new mail, matches etc but I can't login in or do anything!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alece
 Mz_Informed
Msg: 2
My account was hacked yesterday and I don't know what to do.. suggestions?
Posted: 4/11/2017 2:24:11 AM
Nah, this account you're posting on was created in 2012, so you didn't just create it to report this problem.

With that being said, if you're still receiving notifications from the "hacked" account, then that email is still in use for that profile. Why you're not receiving password reset confirmation to that email is beyond me. Did you check your spam/junk folder?

csr@pof.com have limited (if any) staff. You'll just have to be patient in waiting for a reply. Or you could try pestering them a couple of times per day.

Of course this all might be moot as PoF only allows one profile per user. You should be at risk or having either or both profiles deleted.
 leciebella
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2017 3:18:18 AM
This was my friends login.. thought she recently created it as that's what she told me but apparently not.

Anyways.. yes I tried the password reset 5-6 times but still haven't received any password reset emails or anything and yes I checked the spam & junk folders. Guess I'll just have to wait and hope they respond soon.

Thanks

Alece
 Mz_Informed
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/11/2017 3:42:13 AM
Gotcha. Maybe your friend just started using it again.

I hope your problem gets resolved. Just keep trying to reset your password, sometimes it glitches. Try logging in here with your own account/password. If you can sign in to the forums, it's the dating side log in glitching.

Good luck.
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/11/2017 3:21:24 PM
So, your new account and your friends old account have similar names? And your friend female friend that is looking for man stumbled upon your profile (which is also a female looking for a male) and alerted you? Sorry, but this all seems very odd to me.
 leciebella
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2017 4:57:21 PM
My friend hasaid been in a relationship for awhile and not needed her account.. I thought she deleted it but didn't so she said that I could use it to jump on the forums to try and fix the issue with my actual account getting hacked. We're from the same town and both italian so therefore the screen names sound similar but we're two different people.. don't worry.. as soon as I get this issue fixed I'm deleting her profile.

On another note I tried logging into the site again and into the forums again and the site said that the password is incorrect once again and when I try to login to the forums it just kicks me back to the sign in page and asks me to enter my login information. I just got done working out on my treadmill for 80 minutes and I I checked my phone afterwards and I have a bunch of profile notifications from the POF app telling me that I have messages and matches etc but I still can't login and even though the app is saying that I have messages and matches etc I don't have any emails from POF in my email inbox saying that this or that person sent me a message. If I could post an image here I'd show you what I mean.

I've tried to reset my password a few times today but still haven't received anypassword reset emails or anything from POF and still no reply from costumer service.

I don't know what to do!

Alece
 WatchÐog
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/11/2017 6:18:50 PM

With that being said, if you're still receiving notifications from the "hacked" account, then that email is still in use for that profile. Why you're not receiving password reset confirmation to that email is beyond me.

She said app notifications, not email notifications.

And your friend female friend that is looking for man stumbled upon your profile (which is also a female looking for a male) and alerted you?

She referred to the person who sent the screen shot, who also sent the texts, as he.

I've tried to reset my password a few times today but still haven't received any password reset emails...

You are not receiving the reset emails because the person who took over your chibella86 account changed the email address.
 leciebella
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2017 7:19:19 PM
Exactly.. I thought they changed my login information when I stopped getting email notification of new messages etc.. hence why I'm not receiving the password resetc emails but I'm still getting account notifications on my phone from the POF app telling me that I have messages and matches etc.. don't know why but it's getting frustrating. I emailed POF customer support again & still no replies.

The customer support email address on the site in the US according to the website is customercare@pof.com.. I've emailedthem a few times since yesterday but still no reply and I have checked my spam and junk folders.. nothing yet.

This is frustrating!

:(

Alece
 LOLTrump
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/11/2017 7:57:26 PM
Regardless if you get your account back or not, if you have used that same password for anything else you need to change those ASAP.
 leciebella
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2017 8:35:25 PM
Don't worry.. whenever I get my profile back I definitely plan on changing the password.
Alece
 LOLTrump
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/11/2017 8:51:53 PM

Don't worry.. whenever I get my profile back I definitely plan on changing the password.

It has nothing to do with you POF account which BTW you will probally not get back.

It has to do with any other sites you where used the same password.
 leciebella
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2017 9:14:14 PM
My POF password and my passwordsister for other sites I use imy general are completely different. I don't use the same password for other sites.. all of my passwordsare different.

You can't say I won't get my profile back because you never know.

Just trying to be positive.

Alece
 LOLTrump
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/12/2017 8:13:33 AM

You can't say I won't get my profile back because you never know.

Given the situation, I can say with 91.45% certainty that it will not happen.

The best you can hope for is they delete the account.
 Mz_Informed
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/12/2017 11:08:42 AM

She said app notifications, not email notifications.

Thanks for pointing that out, WatchDog, completely missed "apps".

Rethinking that, it does indeed sound like the email/password has been compromised.
 leciebella
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2017 4:38:34 PM
I'm hoping that they just delete my hacked account if customer care doesn't respond to me eventually to resolve the problem because this is a hassle. I love POF but they need better customer support. To top it all off I'm still getting account notifications from my hacked account on the app on my phone. It's getting annoying!

Alece
 hemingway234
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2017 3:11:19 AM
So just go to another site. POF is not the only dating site.
 WatchÐog
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/13/2017 5:38:00 AM
chibella86, you need to figure out how someone took control of your account. If someone had your phone, your POF account could have been accessed and then the email address changed. Once changed, the person could then have reset your password with the new email address and taken over your account. This could also have happened if the person has access to the email account you used to register your chibella86 account.

We're from the same town and both italian so therefore the screen names sound similar but we're two different people...

Yet the chibella86 and leciebella profiles have quite a lot of the exact same entries in a lot of the fields. It looks like you created leciebella about a year after chibella86 but never filled out the rest of the profile.
 quicktyper
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/13/2017 8:23:05 AM

To top it all off I'm still getting account notifications from my hacked account on the app on my phone. It's getting annoying!

Have you tried removing the app from your phone? Or changing your phone settings to stop that app sending notifications?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2017 10:14:03 AM
Do you people ever read the whole thread?

leciebella is her "Friends" account - was not being used, is older, and probably because when they didn't want to use it any more, and didn't know how to delete it - had most of it's relevant data removed. She's 'borrowing' it now to post in the forums

chibella86 is her "Current" account, which seems to be hacked. She's not getting password reset notices, probably because whomever got access to it, changed both the password AND the contact information and e-mail. All that automated 'notice for change' crap goes to whomever is registered to it currently.

1) I seriously don't believe "leciebella" is anyone else BUT the OP - the data in that profile is nearly identical, save for being a few years older. I don't crucify people for having dead accounts out there - I'm sure there are thousands - but don't pretend it's a 'Friend'.

2) As far as your current, hacked account -- more than likely it's a friend messing with you -- maybe an 'April Fools' prank or something. They are more likely to know your password than anyone else. Most sinister lurkers from third world countries don't need to find your dating profile data - they want PERSONAL contact information, like phone numbers, account numbers, passwords and such. They're too busy making fake profiles every 20 minutes or so and soliciting for sex in hopes some moron will give them everything in 20 minutes because of a nude photo.

Write a complaint email to CSR@POF.com, give them the account nickname, email and the password you were last using up until the point it was hacked. A link to the page helps as well. Note when you think it was hacked. They should have records for all registries going back a couple weeks or so and can note the contact info change. Maybe send them an uncropped original photo that was on the old profile as verification.

More than likely chibella86 is going to get erased - it's easier for them to do that than trying to hash out who the true owner really is.

Making a new profile takes less than 20 minutes, so don't freak out about it. People recognize you in POF more by pictures than contact information, anyway.
 quicktyper
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/13/2017 11:13:50 AM
So if she uninstalled the app from her phone and reinstalled it with only her (newer/friend's) account that wouldn't stop the annoying notifications from an account she no longer has access to?
 Ihavelovealloverme
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2018 6:20:18 AM
Why is it sometimes I can log in and sometimes I can't believed pof can hacked or go into your account at anytime soon becareful not to put any personal information... Especially not a credit card information... I should sue
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My account was hacked yesterday and I don't know what to do.. suggestions?