Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Second post on an invitation to take part in research on profile writ      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tofuisgood
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Second post on an invitation to take part in research on profile writingPage 1 of 1    
I thoughtlessly posted this invitation to take part in psychological research elsewhere on POF Forums. This forum should have been my first and only choice. I apologize to those have read this before and promise this is the second and last time I was post information to take part in ongoing research. The experimenter writes:

The purpose of this research is to learn more about how we present ourselves in different online dating platforms. This study will look at the language people use in their online dating profiles, and the information that they choose to reveal about themselves. It will compare profiles across different platforms to look for patterns. The study will also investigate the relationship between the language we use to describe ourselves and our personality traits.

Please share this study
We ask that you might share this study with others so that they may take part if they are eligible.

https://wolverhamptonpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0kR2C0YKmjKTap7
Second post on an invitation to take part in research on profile writing
Posted: 5/6/2017 6:49:31 AM
Whoever's doing this study must be lazy as hell. Or dumb as shit. All you have to do is look over the profiles here, and look over select forum threads. Catch the arguments, watch the profile review discussions. Etc. Blah blah blah. Not rocket science. Exactly what else is being asked for here? What more is needed for anyone to "take part" already?

Are my answers at the listed site, and I should be going there? No. No I shouldn't. I'll not be doing that. You'll put more info here, or suck it. Because the original post makes it sound so silly-student-naïve. Uninteresting as hell. Like some stupid assed school project someone's doing just because they have to make something up or to talk some entity out of funding. If that's not the case, then you need to improve your flat spam-like presentation.
 tofuisgood
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2017 9:43:09 AM
I am not a researcher in the project. This research is being conducted by Nicola Fox Hamilton, M.Sc., doctoral candidate of Psychology, under the supervision of Dr. Chris Fullwood, a Reader in the Psychology department at the University of Wolverhampton (email: C.Fullwood@wlv.ac.uk); Dr. Grainne Kirwan, Lecturer in the Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland; and Dr. Neil Morris, Senior Lecturer in the Psychology department at the University of Wolverhampton. The study has gained approval from the behavioural sciences ethics committee of the University of Wolverhampton.
Posted: 5/6/2017 11:59:22 AM
And? Is very much of that ^ a response to my post??
 gingerosity
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2017 1:23:16 PM

All you have to do is look over the profiles here, and look over select forum threads. Catch the arguments, watch the profile review discussions. Etc. Blah blah blah. Not rocket science. Exactly what else is being asked for here? What more is needed for anyone to "take part" already?

Personality testing.

The study will also investigate the relationship between the language we use to describe ourselves and our personality traits.

The public profile is only one side of the equation, and trying to piece personality together from the forum is hopeless because such writings are also subject to persona filters, n is far too small, and the sample is biased towards the sort of people who go out of their way to participate in public forums. As it is the sample will be biased towards the sort of people who go out of their way to participate in online personality surveys for research projects instead.

you need to improve your flat spam-like presentation

Yes, but they would probably be better off just using a population that has already been personality tested, and following up on them to look at any dating profiles they may have rather than trying to get people with dating profiles to take personality tests. Besides comparing to personality testing, they could also compare dating profiles to other social media projections such as fakebook to see how the environment in combination with particular peronsality traits changes our online presentation of ourselves.
Posted: 5/6/2017 8:38:09 PM
[What more is needed for anyone to "take part" already?]
[Personality testing.]

Well yes. There's that. That's an answer.
 gingerosity
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2017 9:43:57 PM
^ It was provided by Dr A. Geezer, Senior Lecturer in Answerology at the University of Yo Momma.
 manreason30
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/7/2017 4:22:51 PM
No psychology is allowed here in the philosophy forums, it was deemed a pseudolinguistical science, meant for literary critics and mathematically deficient people. If it doesn't contain an X or a Y besides its interpretation of data then I have no interest.

Tell all Psychologist to go to their Biology books. Tell all Biologist to go to their Chemistry books. Tell all Chemist to go to their Physics books. Tell all Physicist to go to their Math books.

Tell all Mathematicians to go to their Neuroscience textbooks. Tell all Neuroscientist to go to their Math books.

Everything else is an interpretation of the recursion that is neuroscience and math.
 gingerosity
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2017 3:10:32 AM
https://www.xkcd.com/435/
 TheRevenant2017
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/8/2017 6:52:06 PM

^ It was provided by Dr A. Geezer, Senior Lecturer in Answerology at the University of Yo Momma.
Sounds like an Ivy League school. ;-)
 SLAFFA
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/20/2017 1:02:56 AM
I am not sure you understand that asking Forum people (at least at THESE Forums) for "input" is about as useful as going to a bar and trying to get any pertinent information. W/O Mods, these Forums have basically become a place for folks to comiserate, chat, flirt, socialize, whine, bash others and release their (obvious) various frustrations.

Look at much of the "advice" given in various Forums and it should become quite obvious.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/20/2017 4:36:29 AM

The purpose of this research is to learn more about how we present ourselves in different online dating platforms. This study will look at the language people use in their online dating profiles, and the information that they choose to reveal about themselves. It will compare profiles across different platforms to look for patterns. The study will also investigate the relationship between the language we use to describe ourselves and our personality traits.

I am not sure you understand that asking Forum people (at least at THESE Forums) for "input" is about as useful as going to a bar and trying to get any pertinent information. W/O Mods, these Forums have basically become a place for folks to comiserate, chat, flirt, socialize, whine, bash others and release their (obvious) various frustrations.

Look at much of the "advice" given in various Forums and it should become quite obvious.

Mr. Tofu, SLAFFA prob has the most accurate posts on the nature of OLD, IMO.
My 2 cents (some of it is culled from other posters over the years)
A much higher incidence of DSM-V disorders in the forums, quite a few "sock puppets" & "fantasists", false personas replete w/ false/photo shop photos, gender misrepresentation, etc.

It used to be a great place where one could come for discourse w/ authentic people, it has now become a dumping ground for dysfunctional & delusional people.

Some of the decent people have remained, some have partnered & left, some (like myself) have partnered & come here when too much time is on our hands & disappear when busier.

Too much denial, masking & projecting, lies games, bla bla bla.

If a person is unable to get a date & /or sustain a relationship IRL, how does going online change that?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Second post on an invitation to take part in research on profile writing